Léon: The Professional

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Alphamale
This movie was on TV last night, and I really like this movie. It is awesome if you havent seen it! I was just wondering if anyone knows what kind of drug that Gary Oldman was supposely taking in the movie. They were green and yellow capsules. He would put them in his mouth but he didnt swallow them , he would crush them with his teeth. Then he would act like he was getting instant "rush" off it??

WHo else here loves this movie??

ms_saigon
OMG, I love this movie! I've watched it more times than I care to admit, but I don't know much about drugs, at least of the illegal variety, and I can't help you on your query. I just wanted to pipe up and say how much I liked the movie.

Alphamale
Well thanks for trying ! Glad to know someone else loved this movie like I do! Great flick huh!

How wouldnt this make a great sequel. Little Nat all grown up and now she is "The Professional" and takes out the bad guys!

ms_saigon
That would be sooo cool, but highly doubtful.

desilu
i don't know if you already knew this or not but there is bonus material of the professional on the version entitled "Leon" which contains another 24 minutes of footage. i thought it was a good movie and even paid the extra money to buy "Leon" on dvd.

Max Power
really? Thats cool. What kind of footage is it?

A sequel sounds fun at first. But without Leon the movie has lost half of its magic.

Man, Natalie Portman really was one of the best child actors around.

finti
she was indeed, she did a good job in Beautiful girls too

Alphamale
THe extra footage has alot of the relationship between leon and matilda in it. I also heard that it shows some more violence!

Yeah she was a better actor in "The Professional" than she was in the 2 star wars movies!!

Corran
This was an great movie, it was called Leon over here though not the professional.

finti
yup, Leon

Alphamale
The actually name is LEON: The Professional.

Corran
Actually the name here is just LEON.

Alphamale
Well, the oversees version(on the dvd box) that I saw it had Leon: The Professional!!

Corran
This is a copy of the DVD sleeve here, no mention of the professional

Alphamale
well the one I might buy off ebay looked different. Im sure it was done to tie into the american mkting of "The Professiona" which I might add is a much better name for the movie! Leon sounds like some mushy story about some little boy?

LanceWindu
I saw this movie for the first time last year after some urging by my friend overthe internet.

It was freakin' awesome.

I loved it the entire way through, except the part where Leon dies.

Alphamale
yeah it makes you think he is getting out alive, then BAM! But at least the bad guy(Oldman) gets it too!

LanceWindu
Yeah that was sweet.

Ushgarak
For an encore, mad ol' Gary went on to play almost exactly the same guy in The Fifth Element. Died in very similar circumstances, too...

desilu
the extra footage of Leon: The Professional also has some scenes of Leon teaching Mathilda how to clean using a paintball gun/pistol s not the same paintball gun/sniper rifle that she uses to shoot that guy in the park. also, alpha the movie has a couple of titles and the title "The Professional" is not necessarily the right one, it is also called "The Cleaner" "Leon" "Leon: The Professional" and "The Professional". Like other movies its name changed when being released overseas.

Corran
But of course the American title would be better.

finti
his name was Leon so why not call the movie Leon too

Alphamale
Yeah, well be honest , if you didnt know what the movie was about , which movie do you think you would honestly watch... a movie called "Leon" or one called the "Professional" ??

"The Professional" just stands out more!

finti
neither, never attend movies I know nothing about, but the title Professionals could indicate women performing some sort of servicebig grin

Alphamale
Whatever, The name "The Professional" is MUCH better!

finti
i go with the original name, the film was ment to be called Leo, but of course you yanks had to alter it

Ushgarak
"The Professional" sounds like an accountant to me. Or the old Brian Clemens series with Bodie and Doyle.

Alphamale
Really, and what does the movie "Leon" sound like to you??

Finti, was it really to be called Leo?

finti
the original title for it is LEO, and it was called so here in Europe

DeNiro
the professinal was a great moive great story great chrater what a name also i luved the name leon but ne way to bad that lil girl was such a pain in the ass or he would have been alive if she didnt think she could be a hitman or cleaner or how ever they siad it in the moive

Mr Zero

<<Solo>>
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004YYDI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

There was only....****ing....24 extra minutes, but the only version I saw was the Europeon version,because the guy I downloaded it from said it was much better then the american.

But yeah I bought this and I was pretty dissapointed. Not much of a change

Kaleanae
I want to see the European version cry
I have the American version... "the professional"

Mr Zero
When its all main character stuff, 24 minutes can make a big difference.

I cant imagine what the cut version must play like?

<<Solo>>
I don't know, maybe I'll rent it.

Cipher
Its an excellent movie, but I guess I'm going to have to find this uncut edition so I can see the real film......

pr1983
its worth it, the movie is brilliant, thats the only word i can think of.

Paola
I remember someone mentioned it to me before.... I loved the Professional so I must take a look at this uncut version eek!

<<Solo>>
Unleashed is going to be cool.

MildPossession

Mr Zero
Mild - if you are in England the chances are you saw the uncut one already - it's the standard release over here.

lil bitchiness
Why is there cut version released in America anyway? Whats wrong with the uncut one?

furryman
I have the standard redish cover version. Currently been on loan to a friend for about a fortnight, my DVD collection feels empty without it!

Mr Zero
"sexual subtext" (see my first post) - which to my mind says more about the men who decide what cuts were needed than about the movie.

lil bitchiness
Thats rediculous.

So its ok to see a mans head get blown off and people's arms get sawed off and what not, but they will edit the supposed ''sexual subcontext'' of a movie, which isnt even there...unless you really want it to be.

Does anyone know if 'Dreamers' was released in USA? /off topic

furryman
I guess it was screened in a few cinemas, like it was here erm

mc pee pants
i just saw this movie today. f*ckin' awesome. natalie was YOUNG in that movie. but i was dissapointed that she didn't get to cap gary oldman...

<<Solo>>
Which One?

Mr Zero
Do you mean The Dreamers the Bernardo Bertolucci fim set in the '60's? If so - thats a good question, I wounder if our usa chums were allowed to see it?

lil bitchiness
thumb up Yeah, thats the one.

That whole movie is contravertial (and a very good one too), i do wonder if America was allowed to see it, and if so, how long is the actual movie, seeing how they would have cut the most of it out due to insest refrences and sex.

Ponem

Mr Zero
I love Bertolucci - and thought The Dreamers was a real return to top form, So I have to a...ag... I have to aggggggg... Aaa..A.a..aAGREE with you there.

Whew.

Mr Zero
I cant be certain, but I think the whole "dressing up guessing game" was also cut - or at least an american of my acquaintance didnt remember the scene - not exactly conclusive proof.

Ponem
Why would the Americans cut it? What better to boast your ego then to see a French guy imitate who was it again...Clint Eastwood? And mathilda did Madonna, perhaps because she sang the lines "Like a virgin!" which could be inprented very stupidly by the Americans XD

Cipher
There is no sense to how movies are rated in the US: it basically depends on how a movie is interpreted by whoever sees it. If they thought there was some pedophile subtext, then yeah, the distributor will cut it. It depends on the intelligence of the person watching the film, I guess. Not sure how seeing a Frenchmen do anything would help the ego, but Jean Reno is a good actor.....

Dario Argento
I think Luc Beson's films are awesome the first time, but they get worse everytime you them. Just like Tarantino's.

I know this won't make be popular.

eleveninches
THe best line in the film is when Mathilda is talking to the old guy in the hotel, and he asks what her 'father does for a living' and she replies with something like "...but he's not my father. He's my lover"

That's why they got kicked out of the hotel.

Bluejaydf2
"Leon: The Professional" is the American uncut version (with the extra 24 minutes). "Leon" was the movie's name just about everywhere except in the U.S., which changed the name to "The Professional". Some places it was called "The Cleaner", don't know where this was though. Whatever it's called it's a great movie, especially the uncut version.

Bluejaydf2
The scenes that remember having been cut are when Mathilda threatens to commit suicide, when they go to the drug dealers house, the 'ring trick' part and when Mathilda asks Leon to kiss her at the resturant and sleep with her at the apartment. Might have been a scene where she first meets Tony gone too.

Cinemaddiction
I realize this is old, but I don't feel as if this applies to "Wasabi" or "Leon".

forumcrew
it was great and natalie portman is at the age where she could do a sequel

roundisfunny
Ah, another merged thread that is nonsenically composed of many other threads having to do with the same movie.

If I had to guess what drug Gary Oldman was taking in "The Professional", I'd guess Yellowjackets (but it's not as though I'm any kind of expert). Of course, if anybody else wants to try to answer the question posed by a guy who hasn't been here since April 2003, go right ahead.

Cinemaddiction
"The Professional" 2 Disc Deluxe Edition was released on DVD today, along with "The Fifth Element" Ultimate Edition. $17.99 this week at Best Buy, and it is TOTALLY worth it. 2 discs, Superbit transfer, and lots o' extrees.

Be sure to drop by the DVD Talk forums as welll, and gab about the release!

forumcrew
are the superbit dvd's really any better? ive never seen one of them

Cinemaddiction
Superbit discs use the entire disc itself for the transfer, that's why they throw all the extras on a seperate disc. Superbit movies usually have higher lines of resolution, making the picture clearer and more crisp, and the sound channels are more sharp and punchy.

It's great for home theatre owners, and a nice little bonus for $17.99. It's not worth buying if you watch movies on a 19" television, obviously, through a Daewoo DVD player. laughing

eggmayo
26" and a sony.... its heavenly.

ladygrim
hmm this sounds intresting ... i mite take a look into it...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.