The Construction of the Death Star

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Red Leader
Has George Lucas revealed yet if he will show the construction of the Death Star?

prabab
Who knows?

Red Leader
I hope it is in the movie.

Red Leader
It would be so cool to see the half completed Death Star. Does anyone know what side it would be on if it is in the movie? I'm hoping it's on the Dark Side but I don't know.

darktim1
I heard that they might show it at the end of episode3 but I think it would be to early before it would be done.

Commander
I read that that should be the final scene. Vader, tarkin and imperator stand on the superstar destroyer bridge and observe from there on the completion of the death star.

Red Leader
EXCELLENT! This sounds absolutely superb!

Morridini
Wouldn't it be a bit early to start constructing the Death Star this early? 19/20 years before ANH? They managed to build half the second Death Star in the time between ANH's ending and ROTJ. So why would they need 19/20 years to complete the first one? And wasn't the second one even bigger and more powerful then the first one, one would asume that the second one would need more time then the first one.

Red Leader
Maybe it was begun at this time to symbolise the future power the Empire would have and the terror they would create.

Red Leader
And that was why it was begun just before Palpatine revealed himself as a Sith Lord.

Luxorz
Yes, but the second one didn't look nearly as complete as the first one. And the first one could have been ready for some time before ANH, couldn't it?

Morridini
Then why weren't it finished before ANH? Remember that Alderaan was the first planet destroyed by the Death Star. Has the Death star just been puy away, gathering dust untill ANH then?

Red Leader
No, it was initially a symbol of power.

Red Leader
And they used it until then to scare the Republic.

Commander
It is actually somewhat early. Perhaps they were occasionally stopped. It could also be that Lucas makes a few story jumps at the end of the film around a better transition Episode4 to get.

Red Leader
Maybe. But I doubt it.

captainmidnight
there not gonna begin the construction until palpatines plan falls into play,expect construction of the death star at the end of ep3......

Red Leader
Ok

Darth Jello
well, the second death star was a rush job, prolly started just a little before ANH, as for the end of episode 3, I doubt that they'll have anymore than the turbolaser complete.

Morridini
But still. 20 years to construct the first Death Star? I still think that sounds way too slow, even if the second one was rushed.

Commander
Probably the Imperator did not have enough subcontractors with the first death star.
One should not forget also that Lucas already introduced the death star to episode 2, a clear indication for the fact that we will get to see something in episode 3 in this connection. All these things: Death star, Kashyyk, Darth Vader, Tantive 4, case of the Republic of, extinction jedi, etc. could for the film the best the Saga make, although it is heavy Tesb to exceed.

Darth Jello
the Empire's resources were stretched, what with galactic conquest and the anhilliation of the Jedi. plus, the first death star was primarily built by Geonosian contractors while the second was prolly built with the combined effort of a bunch of galactic architects.

Red Leader
That is true. I completely agree.

Morridini
How do we know that the first Death Star was built by the Geonosians? We know that they helped Sideus/Dooku plan the Death Star, but we don't know that they built it. Or have I missed something?

Darth Jello
Episode II commentary-George Lucas finally answering Dante and Randal from Clerks

Morridini
Damn, why do they have to put so much good stuff in the comentaries? I can never make myself sit down to listen to it, either I get distracted by the movie or else they are mumbling too much.

Darth Jello
my advice, either turn on the subtitles during the commentaries, or simply watch it from the point where the reveal the death star plans.

Red Leader
Great suggestions. Perhaps these people should try researching.

Red Leader
Before arguing a case where they don't have all the facts.

Morridini
Perhaps I should try that. But it'll have to wait to tomorrow, I'll just have to take your word for it.

Red Leader
Yes you should try that.

Red Leader
Rather than wasting time submitting pointless replies.

Morridini
Pointless replies?
What do u mean by that? Like yours?

Red Leader
I'm not going to waste my time with your purposely arguementative posts.

Morridini
Can't u just drop it?
I am too tired to listen to anything like this.
Let's just say it was my fault and let it go.

Red Leader
It was your fault. But I'm willing to let it go.

Red Leader
Friends?

DirectorFitz
I think the Death Star should be at the end of III. Think about how Obi-Wan's face got when he saw it in IV. He realized what it was, because he had probably seen it before.

PVS
whats with the bickering?
over a trivial star wars fact no less.
if someone gets a fact wrong, correct them.
there's no reason to stuff it in their faces.

lets chill ok?

Darth Jello
DF does have a point...

PVS
however, obiwan could have just seen the blueprint/hologram

jedijunky1138
I heard rumors that on Mustifar during the duel we will see the DS in orbit above Obi-Wan and Vader. How COOL would that be?

darktim1
maybe they had everything laid out but then waited till palpatine gave the green light for the project after all dooku did'nt give him the plans at the end ep2 when got off ship so must have given them up sometime after.

Ushgarak
Cool down that attitude, Red Leader. And if people are going to be snotty about correcting others, at least be totally accurate yourselves; George said they PROBABLY built the Death Star.

It does look very logically unlikely that they would take 20 years to build the first Death Star and only a few to build the Second. but remember SW is not necessarily a storyline of pure logic.

Gangularis
yeah that's true..

and jedijunky.. i think that would be ABSOLUTELY the coolest to see a partial deathstar in orbit in a few shots above their duel.

jedijunky1138
Remember folks that the first DS was just that, the FIRST. As with all first attempts it usually takes much longer to get it right. The second DS may not have taken as long because they allready knew what they were doing.

Morridini
I agree that the second time might go faster, and even faster as it was rushed. But we are not talking about a coupple of years differnce. This is like the seconds one taking 17 years less time then the first one. That's too big an improvment for me to acept, it's just too stupid.

PVS
on the recovery of stolen plans of the death star:
"see to it personally commander, there'll be no one to stop us this time"

now i KNOW that ep3 takes place like 20 years later and that vader's line can just be a reference to events between 3 & 4, but is there not a possability that he was referring to events in ep3?

PVS
but how do we know that?
what if it was the first completed death star?

as ush said, SW lacks in logic on many points, this could just be one of them.

some ask "why would the firsr death star take 20 years to built?"

i ask "why would the palpatine wait so damn long from ep2 to build it?"

jedijunky1138
When has it been stated that the second death star was started after the ANH? It could have been started not long after the first but kept in the dark by the Empire. Maybe they were trying to make two in the first place.

PVS
it seems unlikely...why would they need 2?....however it IS a characteristic of the empire to waste rescources in such a manner...so who knows.

Darth Jello
well if you count Star Tours at Disneyland...

Xam
the reason the death star starts construction in ep3 is that the technology isint as advanced as in epIV its like tvs invention it took 20 years before it would have nice models like 2day so the reason the death star did not take too much time to build btw ep4 and ep6 is that the technology is more advanced!

CinematicESP
That would be completely awesome to see the Death Star in its early stages hovering in the Mustafar sky as Obi-Wan and Anakin duel. The visual image gives me chills...

If you look at some of the clips of the duel in Ep 3 video game on the OT Bonus DVD, the architecture looks a lot like the interior of the Death Star. It would make perfect sense for the Death Star to be constructed here, and it would make for a kick ass connection to the OT. It would add to the OT "feel" of the film.

Vympel
Erm, the ROTJ opening crawl. Read it, then get back to me. Any argument that they started it after the first (if this stupid rumor is true) doesn't work:

"Little does Luke know that the GALACTIC
EMPIRE has secretly begun construction on a
new armored space station even more powerful
than the first dreaded Death Star."

Star Wars doesn't advance technologically like Earth in real life. There's no huge difference in the technology evident between the prequels and the originals, it's only a question of scale.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.