Why doesnt C-3PO or R2-D2 remember Anakin or anything from the prequels.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Leog14
Ok you've got to admit that C-3PO and R2-D2 are kind of the main characters that set off the real main characters because they appear in every star wars main poster for every part. In the originals they are portrayed in A New Hope and ROTJ in the beginning. They always pull off the get things going, for example, If it wasn't for R2-D2 then Han, Luke, Leia and chewie would be dead in the garbage disposal in ANH. And R2 saved Amidala in AOTC from being squashed. This is in every part, just assuming that it will be in ROTS. But one thing isn't right, why don't they remember anyhting from the prequels. Were they forced to reset their minds so Anankin wouldn't know the location of Luke or Leia. Maybe R2 and 3PO were there when Obi-Wan left Luke in Tatooine. These droids must have known everything because they were in the story one way or another. It's all kind of radical but it's just something to think about. Hopefully EPIII will explain all of this and put it to rest.

OB1-adobe
They get their memories erased in Ep.3

Commander
before such contentwise logic problems one stands, if one enweaves figures such as 3PO, R2 or Boba fett the fan for sake into the Prequels.

Leog14
the most obvious answer but it's just something to think about

PVS
people think that they have their memory erased, but 3p0 clearly lies to luke in ep4, when he denies knowing who the chick in the hologram is. i think R2 and 3p0 are both aware of whats going on.

Leog14
i thought robots don't lie at least these two. I know r2 does but 3po

Cipher
3PO couldn't know the princess was onboard w/o knowing what she looked like? Remember, they're just another couple of droids at that point in the saga. I don't think they tampered with R2's memory, just C-3PO's.......

guiro72
lucas has been talking about a memory wipe for years now, well before phantom menace was released.....my private hope is for 3po to have one, but not r2....it works if you watch the films, and adds to r2's frustration with 3po's constant cluelessness....but if it's not that, then it's both of them that get wiped...straight from lucas' mouth....

Cipher
Yeah, that's the latest thing from him, supposedly. At one point, though, neither had been wiped.....

I agree with you, guiro72, about it only being one of them. R2 is clever enough to keep secrets.

Darth Jello
I agree that they probably left artoo alone. he isn't a blabbermouth and keeps secrets well.

PVS
3p0 NEVER leaked a secret.
you're all just prejudice against protocol droids!!! mad

Darth Jello
ever realized that 3po never knows what's going on whereas artoo always does and is always in control of the situation?

Cipher
Well, he can't stop himself from rambling.......

Would you rather trust your life to C-3PO or R2-D2?

PVS
i would trust either
3p0 is a blabbermouth, but he never gave anything away.
and OF COARSE r2 isnt a blabber mouth, he cant speak

Cipher
You wouldn't trust reliable old R2? I'm shocked.....

3PO never gave anything away because his memory was erased and in Ep. 6, they don't even inform him of what's going on at Jabba's palace....

darktim1
I thought they were owned by someone else after episode3 I thought thats when memory was erased.

Cipher
It probably happened just before that. IF they were actually sold. The last place they're seen in Ep.3 is the Tantive 4 which is where they're first seen in Ep.4. They were kept close by and Leia was probably told to use R2 in an emergency because he was reliable....

PVS
well, if it wasnt for c3p0, all the good guys would have been ewok fodder, so stick out tongue

Leog14
Ok that could be true, though you have to wonder that if vader is anakin and anakin knew 3PO and build him and knew R2 wouldn't he have put out a bounty on them or maybe anakin's mind was damaged in EPIII after his burn and R2 and 3PO had their memories blocked. That would explain that something happened to 3po because he can't fly anymore and they seemed so used in ANH.

Cipher
Why would Darth Vader track down the droid he built when he was a kid?
He doesn't strike me as being sentimental until he's watching his son get electrocuted in Ep. 6.

And when did C-3PO fly? Was that a deleted scene?

PVS
he meant R2 i assume...

Darth Jello
artoo is like 30+ years old in ANH, of course he looks used.

Leog14
my bad i mean't r2, and why wouldn't vader track down his son consider he knew who he that he had one in ESP.

Cipher
He is tracking him at that point.

Leog14
Maybe some circuit tampering or something and all because your 30 years doesn't mean that your suppose to be looking like an old droid. I mean these guys lived in royalty throughout the saga, i'm sure they've gotten cleaned b4.

Darth Jello
he only finds out he has one when the emperor contacts him

Cipher
They get fixed up once in a while, but remember, at the start of ANH they are just another set of droids. They get an occasional maintenance and cleaning, but nothing special....

Leog14
Think about this way, if you argued that the droids don't know what happen to anakin beccause he turned into vader and can't see him in the suit then i would say why don't the droids tell luke who his father is because 3PO was built by anakin and he obviously knows who he is, but since he doesn't tell him that and the person who tells him is obi-wan in ANH, that his father was killed by vader, that would mean obi-wan made it all up to cover prevent Luke or anything from happening to him. It's like obi-wan said " From a certain point of view".

Leog14
The droids have to have gotten some sort of memory wipe. In my view that the conclusion. It was for there own good and everyone elses.

OB1-adobe
The cool thing about R2-d2 is that he, in a little way, links the whole saga together. He is the only major character who looks, and acts the same throughout the entire thing

Leog14
yeah and always helps

Cipher
True. That's why he probably didn't get his memory wiped because it wasn't neccessary in his case.

Leog14
aiite so wait for EPIII than we'll figure it out.

Jedi Priestess
PVS 3P0 is an idiot hence the memory wipe he's sure to be getting. R2 on the other hand keeps his memory intact.

{Is it just me or alot of the threads yesterday and today are just going over and over stuff we've already covered?}

Gangularis
I'd trust R2 with my life well over 3p0's not only because he's smarter.. but because he actually has balls... 3p0's a chicken shit.

jedijunky1138
Overanalizing......AGAIN??????? OK Thats it I have to change my name to sithjunky1138, the darkside has consumed me!

Cipher
R2=trustworthy

3PO=not

Morridini
There is one thing I have allways been wondering about. If Owen and Beru owned 3PO for some time before Ep2, shouldnt they have recognised 3PO when they bought him? As he has the same voice and name, even though his colors are changed.

Cipher
I've thought about that myself and have two ideas: first, there other protocol droids with the same voice. Second, maybe Owen suspected it and that's why he was adamant about erasing the droids memory.

Jedi Priestess
this is highly likely I think.

tony_bolony
Remember that droids in the Starwars universe are just appliances. I personally wouldn't recognize the toaster oven I owned 20 years ago... Although it would make sense for Owen to have that attitude if by chance he did remember 3PO.
Also, my two bits...R2s memory remains intact. "I've never seen such devotion in a droid before." My guess is R2 knows exactly who General Kenobi is.

PVS
3p0 is chickenshit, ill give that up,
but he has NEVER proved himself untrustworthy.
how can you people make such a jump in conclusion?
he b!tches, he moans, he says the WRONG thing at the wrong time,
but he has always been loyal.

dont be a protocol droid hater!

darktim1
I don't ever recall him flying in the movies maybe in a comic here is another theory what if c-3po was turned off and put away in storage could that make memory fail.

wingless_angel
Simple...3PO and R2 had their memories cleared.

The twins are born and few people know, you want to hide this from Darth Vader and the Empire....

Obi-Wan hides away, so does yodi, Padme i think will hide on Alderian until she dies (NOT KILLED BY ANIAKIN .....
Luke "do you rememeber your mother"
Liea relys that she can but not alot....and that her mother was sad for some reason. So Padme doesn live but in hiding.

So whos left....R2 and 3PO....really....if the empire caughts them thats it....its all over. So their was no other opinion...memorey gone bye bye....

As or Owen....he didnt know it was 3po, he was a different color and all that. Whats the chances of losing one droid only to get the same one back a good 20 years later in better shape? from jawas.....come one people.

Gangularis
EXACTLY... to them, a droid's a droid's a droid. they probably would've had countless droids in between, as it is.

Leog14
About the Owen and Lars owning 3P0 and R2, I think that maybe the droids were there when they brung Luke and Leia and then they were take to alderaan to have their memory deleted or to dantooine. I know Leia lived in dantooine and that's were the droids were sent, to secretly be with her to look after her like they've taken care of everyone else in the saga. In Tatooine they weren't need because Owen and Lars were trusted better.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.