Silver Surfer VS Superman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

norrin radd
yes, i do understand the irony of this post, but someone had to do it.

Havoc470
yeah, the whole time i thought GL vs. Surfer was supes vs. surfer lol

but i still go with silver surfer winning, a man who's powered by solar energy versus a man who can suck up solar energy...

norrin radd

juggernaut74
I am going to be honest here. Surfer is my favorite Marvel hero and I do have every issue of his from vols. 1-4. I know his powers and limitations rather well. But I dont think he can stand up to the might of superman. This would be a good fight. But the man of steel would crush the noble Norrin Radd.

Havoc470
doesnt SS have a healing factor?

Lil-Goblin
No. Also, TIGA GOT ANOTHER VOTE!

Never
Um, NO Superman would not. Surfer can EASILY drain Superman no problem. Several heroes in the Marvel Universe can go toe-to-toe with or overcome Superman, including Silver Surfer, Binary, and Thor.

Superman is admittedly inferior to Martian Manhunter who poses more of a threat to Surfer. Honestly MM and Surfer would probably waste eons trying to outmaneuver one another.

Beyonder
...until Surfer accidentally stumbles onto the fireweakness, which highly unlikely will take eons (a day or two, three at the most).

norrin radd

juggernaut74
As far as i Know SS has no fighting skills at all. If it came to hand to hand combat Surfer would not last long. His Cosmic blasts I dont think would affect Superman at all. He cant fly without his board. And as far as draining him sounds like a last resort to me and is actually all speculation. And Superman did give Thor a nap in the Jla/Avengers crossover. I remember reading vol. #86 in which Thor defeats Surfer in a Silver Surfer comic book. Dont get me wrong Norrin Radd is one badass Marvel hero but no match for Superman.

norrin radd
surfer has no fighting skills but superman has?? LOL
superman sucks at fightig skills.
superman give a nap at thor in a crossover that SUCKED.

about surfer flying in his board, i had read in the net that he could actually fly, but i have never seen him do it without the board, even so he can attach his feet to the board, it is not a big disavantage has you think.

juggernaut74
I read one issue from vol. 3 in which Norrin actually says that he cannot fly without his board. If I can find it Ill let you know so you can see for yourself.

norrin radd

norrin radd

juggernaut74
Oh im sure Batman would lend him a hand.

Swanky-Tuna
He can pelt SS with baterangs. And the fight is Silver Surfer vs Superman, not Silver Surfer vs Superman and his friends.

Havoc470
whoa, this is silver surfer vs. superman, no one else

either way, SS has a mental link with his board at all times, so even if superman does take it away from SS it'll only gonna come back

Never
Which fire weakness? The one that no longer exists? Tsk, J'onnz is no longer vulnerable to fire, gentlemen.

Goodness, what is it with the "juggernaut" moniker? Does it render you instantly misinformed?

Surfer has no "fighting skills?" Since when did he NEED any? He does not have to touch Superman. Re: his cosmic blasts, you are wrong. Period. As far as Surfer DRAINING Superman, he can detect AND drain energy sources, similar to Photon's ability (albeit more limited). He DRAINED the gamma radiation from Hulk, transforming him into Bruce Banner. He can DRAIN all of the solar energy from Superman. Thor with Mjolnir can do the SAME thing. Re: Superman vs. Thor, what an idiotically written battle - Thor tries to WALK through Superman's heat ray vision when he could have simply ABSORBED it? Yeah right.

crazyspinz
surfer would win, he has probably equil speed, strength, durability as supes, and the power cosmic on top of that, witch owns supes little eye beams and anything else he can do

juggernaut74
It seems nobody is ever happy

crazyspinz
im happy, just look at my avatar, hes kinda happy.....

spyrokinesi35
hes' right supes has no fighting skills. in one episodes him and lex fought under a red sun in a boxing match and supes got his butt whooped

crazyspinz
hahaha, stupid farm boys....

wrathofachilles
Surfer is not equal in strength to Superman. He's faster, about as durable, and has the power cosmic, but he is NOT stronger. People overestimate Surfer's strength. His power cosmic allows him to lift over 100 tons, but he doesn't start at that and the power cosmic allows him to lift exponentially above that like Hulk and Superman are capable of doing.

As for Superman not having fighting ability, he's been used to beating people into unconsciousness with a fist for 60 years, he hasn't really needed to develop much fighting ability until the Doomsday era.

crazyspinz
ok

Magee
SS is not fast. hell he cant even fly without his surfboard, knock him off and Superman takes the upper hand.

norrin radd

Magee
SS can move realy fast? Without his board?

norrin radd

Magee
Yea i thought he had sum control over it. So SS can run realy fast like flash or superman?

norrin radd

Magee
Wat do u mean he beat him in 2 seconds without moving? In a race or a fight?

Swanky-Tuna
Quicksilver isn't as ridiculously fast as Flash though. Still, Superman doesn't traditionally use his speed a whole lot does he?

wrathofachilles
Old Superman is much faster than Surfer. New Superman has been heavily decreased in speed. Remember when the older Superman and Flash tied in a footrace? Then DC decided that was pathetic that Flash couldn't win against anyone at a test of speed considering that's all he has, so they decided to increase Flash and decrease Supes. I still like Old Superman best.

Never
Quicksilver is waaaay faster than he used to be, but still no match for Flash. I forget the name of the individual who augmented his then so-so speed.

For those doubting Silver Surfer's ability to power up substantially (strength-wise), care to theorize on just how strong the Power Cosmic allows Silver Surfer to be? I bet you have no clue.

Current Superman is but a shell of the nigh-Godlike PC Superman, and prone to many an ass-whipping -- he could not overcome The Shaggy Man; Captain Marvel knocked him out; he is no match for Doomsday; Martian Manhunter is his superior; Wonder Woman is VERY close in terms of strength and CAN beat him.

Superman's strength is not limitless. PC Superman, yes. Current? Nowhere near. He is comfortably BELOW Hulk, and for the last time, overall, he is about equal with Thor. Ask Kurt Busiek on AOL chat; ask Mark Waid at the same spot. E-mail Dan Jurgens. As a matter of fact, would you like to know what Dan Jurgens said, verbatim? Here you go:

"After numerous e-mails from friends pointing to a minor firestorm of sorts regarding my comments relating to the power levels of Thor and Superman, I thought some clarity might help.

Yes, in the exchange, I was asked if Superman was a million times more powerful than Thor. I said yes.

I also chuckled as I said it, a very important part of the response that did not translate into print. I don't blame Rich as he gave me the chance to edit the interview. Quite frankly, it never occurred to me that anyone would seriously think that statement was an accurate representation of my belief on the matter.

So... we screwed up.

Superman is NOT a million times more powerful than Thor. In my book, he is probably not even twice as powerful as Thor. Superman has more expansive powers than Thor, IMO, thanks to his vision powers, etc.

I also think they fight quite differently. Thor tends to be more of a brawny reactionary type, while Superman probably fights with a more strategic approach. Thor is more likely to cut loose with the full measure of his powers as he does not have the "dampers" on that power that Superman was raised with. Both qualities can be an advantage or disadvantage, depending on the circumstances.

If they fought ten times, neither would win all ten, or even seven, eight or nine battles, for that matter. Not anymore than the Miami Dolphins would beat the Jets ten games out of ten.

I apologize for any confusion.

DJ"

Do notice where he opined that they are ABOUT EQUAL overall ("If they fought ten times, neither would win all ten, or even seven, eight or nine battles, for that matter."wink. But I digress...

At any rate, Silver Surfer does not need any h2h skills to overcome Superman. Battles do not always boil down to h2h ability. Hell, look at Darkseid vs. Galactus in the crossover. Was one punch thrown? Even when Surfer almost killed Orion - few punches, tons of blasts.

Feel free to disagree, but the stronger case can be made for Silver Surfer overcoming Superman pursuant to his past history and overall superiority in terms of power. Create a scenario wherein Surfer is protecting Galactus whilst he prepares a planet for conversion...and Superman waltzes in.

I will put my money on Silver Surfer.

wrathofachilles
Being that I'm old-fashioned, whenever I consider Superman, I always consider the Pre-crisis Superman. I refuse to accept making him into a pansy-ass lol. It was a horrible idea, and there have been plenty of horrible ideas. Thus when I say I think Superman can take out Surfer, I mean original Superman, who is AT LEAST Hulk's equal and probably his superior in strength.

norrin radd

Havoc470
superior to hulk or not, SS still has the advantage here imo

Never
PC Superman dragged planets, flew through starts, exceeded the speed of light - it's a pretty safe bet to say that he was stronger than The Hulk. That's why DC (John Byrne) made the decision to depower him -- they were running out of ideas on how to challenge a nigh omnipotent Superman. No argument on that one.

wrathofachilles
Well Hulk could probably drag planets if he gets mad enough, but it would be difficult considering he can't travel in space. I get that there was difficulty in coming up with new ideas, but the drastic decrease in power just makes it sad now. Superman was THE hero, long before any other hero was a hero. Now he's over-powered by too many.

Evangel94
SIlver Surfer

Omega-level
Silver Surfer easily. Supes is not on his league. Is not even in Thor's league.

darthgoober
Originally posted by Omega-level
Silver Surfer easily. Supes is not on his league. Is not even in Thor's league.
Hey, I give Surfer a decent majority(like 7 or 8/10), but I could see Supes pulling a few wins also. But I'm not that familiar with Surfer since his upgrade, so my estimation could be off.

rojel
the truth is that sups can wup the hell out of ss coz he has limtless strength and superman is not vulnerable to silvers powers so sups gets my vote. And if ss could beat the man of steel then so would greenlantern

rojel
hey superman in a way is faster than the flash coz his speed is based on his strength so he wouldn't even take asec. to beat silversurfer i mean the guy wouldn't even have a chance to catch superman

rojel
hey omega-level sups has ever fought with thor and geus what.

SUPERMAN BEAT thor

Priest
Originally posted by rojel

SUPERMAN BEAT thor
that fight was PIS..Thor jobbed like crazy in that fight.
Current Surfer 9/10 atleast against superman.

Martian_mind
Dude superman does not have anywhere near a speed advantage on ss its the other way around plus surfer could drain supes of his energy or molecularily manipulate him its no big deal for surfer

StarsNeverFall7
Superman...Im so tired about hearing about this over hyped farm boy...hes had his lime light, give it to someone else. Thor should beat Superman 100/10. For one Thor is a god, for two he has thousands of years of fighting experience, for three his main dirivit of power is from magic, a main weakness of Supermans. Accurately written aside from PC superman, Thor should beat him every time. Superman can't hang with Mjlonir.

SS seems to often get the shaft on whos writing him and gets canned despite his abilities. SS is just as fast, strong, and more versatile. He matches Superman in every level, add his matter and energy manipulation on top of that, its a level Superman can't touch.

bigbran
the truth is that sups can wup the hell out of ss coz he has limtless strength and superman is not vulnerable to silvers powers so sups gets my vote. And if ss could beat the man of steel then so would greenlantern Originally posted by rojel
hey superman in a way is faster than the flash coz his speed is based on his strength so he wouldn't even take asec. to beat silversurfer i mean the guy wouldn't even have a chance to catch superman Originally posted by rojel

SUPERMAN BEAT thor Umm, what the hell are you talking about?
Do you even know who Surfer is, or Superman for that matter?

darthgoober
the truth is that sups can wup the hell out of ss coz he has limtless strength and superman is not vulnerable to silvers powers so sups gets my vote. And if ss could beat the man of steel then so would greenlantern
GL SHOULD beat Supes, so I don't really see your point there.

hey superman in a way is faster than the flash coz his speed is based on his strength so he wouldn't even take asec. to beat silversurfer i mean the guy wouldn't even have a chance to catch superman
Now your just being dumb. There's(literally) NO WAY Supes is faster than Flash.

SUPERMAN BEAT thor
And in a purely physical confrontation, I agree that Supes SHOULD beat Thor. But Thor has a crap load of powers that he didn't use in that fight. If he had, it would have went the other way.

Surfer just has to much going for him in this fight. Between K-nite, red sun radiation, and solar absorption, he should take Supes more often than not.

Avalonofthewind
Originally posted by darthgoober
And in a purely physical confrontation, I agree that Supes SHOULD beat Thor. But Thor has a crap load of powers that he didn't use in that fight. If he had, it would have went the other way.

It's not like Supes was particularly well written either. If both were. Supes would have still won.

Craptastic fight though.

darthgoober
Originally posted by Avalonofthewind
It's not like Supes was particularly well written either. If both were. Supes would have still won.

Craptastic fight though.
Oh yeah, definately a good fight. But I think Thor would take it, if he used all his hammer's abilities. But seeing as how Thor like's to brawl(and so limits himself), his NOT using the hammer is more CIS than PIS.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.