Your favorite 30's and 40's film(s)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

L49_JoaquinLovr
So what are your favorite old old movies, i mean Black and White style?

Mine? Id have to go with 1933's 'Wild Boys Of The Road' starring, Frankie Darro, who is an awesome actor, not to mention cute.

2nd I like the 1932 film 'Freaks' about a woman who falls in love with a 'LP' and its also about a traveling circus show.

Mr Zero
From the 40's - (as per my profilesmile

Les Enfants du paradis (1945)
A Matter of Life and Death (1946)

From the 30's, two from one of my favourite actors: Ronald Coleman

A tale of two Cities (1935)

Lost Horizon (1937)

L49_JoaquinLovr
Nicccee

BadKitty
from the 30's
Gone With The Wind (1939) - this movie is every bit of the hype it has received over the years...cinema history.

The Wizard of Oz (1939) - who doesn't know this movie

City Lights (1931) - the most notable Charles Chaplin film ever (the gold rush (1925) nearly pales in comparison)

from the 40's
Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) -Cary Grant is so adorable in this and Peter Lorre is so class.

also
I Married a Witch (1942) - fun dark comedy and Veronica Lake is to sexy.

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) - war and tragedy come home in this fabulous movie...really really great.

It's a Wonderful Life (1946) - still played here every Christmas

The Maltese Falcon (1941) - the 40's was Humphrey Bogart's decade and what can I say I just love Peter Lorre

-------------------------------------------------------------
the forties to me had so many good movies it really is hard to just pick a few...I must mention the late 30's through the 40's is when Disney really began to make it's mark.
Snow White and the Seven Dwarves (1937)
Fantasia (1940)
Bambi (1942)
Pinocchio (1940)
Dumbo(1941)
Song Of The South (1946) -most people don't know this movie because it's been banned but the song Zippity do da. Zippity-ay came from it. sang by Uncle Remus'

L49_JoaquinLovr
Crap I forgot The Wizard Of Oz. Add that'n stick out tongue

BadKitty
I almost didn't write it either...'cause who doesn't love the wizard? big grin

ash007
Citizen Kane i've seen it a couple of times and i thought is was an excellent film--great acting, plot, editing. i was particularly impressed with how the movie was directed and most of the time i was just so amazed with the cinematography. these are some of the reason why i thought the film was exceptional.

L49_JoaquinLovr
For real BK.

amity75
Mustn't forget King Kong.

L49_JoaquinLovr
That was koo too.

roundisfunny
Meet John Doe
Any of the Three Stooges shorts (we're counting those, right?)
Most John Wayne films of those decades
Ditto Humphrey Bogart, Gary Cooper, Cary Grant & Jimmy Stewart
Noir, Potboiler & Hitchcock stuff, the names of which I'm too lazy to look up right now.

Mr Zero
Casa zero, sneak peek.

L49_JoaquinLovr
Im talking about 30's and 40's films, roundisfunny.

The three stooges are from the 50's n 60's
John Wayne is from the 50's 60's and 70's

thegreatrudini
Mine has to be the first 3 universal frankensein films

L49_JoaquinLovr
never seen em.

roundisfunny
Uh, girlie? It's not often I want to reach across the internet and throttle somebody for exhibiting such stupidity. You should feel honored.

The Three Stooges had their biggest successes in the 30's and 40's. They made 130 features during those two decades, including "Restless Knights", "Hoi Polloi" and "Pardon my Scotch" (1935),
"Disorder in the Court" (1936), "You Nazty Spy" and "A-plumbing we will Go" (1940), "The Brideless Groom" (1947) and a host of others.

John Wayne is from the 50's, 60's and 70's??? He was in 70 films throughout the 30's, and his breakthrough role came in 1939 ("Stagecoach"wink! Some of his greatest films are from the 40's! Do you even know who John Wayne is? Look him up! In fact, do a little research before you chastise somebody.

MornGlory
Top Hat or Beauty and the Beast

L49_JoaquinLovr
Yes, I am proud.

BadKitty
Mr. Zero I'm starting to believe we were the ones separated at birth!
doesn't Lauren Bacall have the sexiest voice..I just love her and bogey!

oh my goodness! how could I not add the three stooges to my list! Men in Black (1934) is my favotite one,it's the only Three Stooges short to be nominated for an Oscar.

also some more of my personal faves are -You Nazty Spy! (1940) ,I'll Never Heil Again (1941) ,Violent Is the Word for Curly (1938)

haha Swinging the Alphabet!!

BlackC@t
I LOVE The Wizard of Oz! happy
I loved it even more when I was a kid. I have it on home video!

L49_JoaquinLovr
Is that out on dvd? I want it on dvd

The Redeemer
HIGH NOON is one of my favourites from that time period... yes

Jedi Priestess
Aaaah yes the 30's and 40's also called "The Golden Years of Hollywood"

Hell's Angels 1930
It Happened One Night 1934
Mutiny On The Bounty 1935
Boys Town 1938
Gone With the Wind 1939
The Grapes of Wrath 1940
Citizen Kane 1941
It's a Wonderful Life 1941
Casablanca 1942
Double Indemnity 1944
Mildred Pierce 1945

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.