First Gay Movie Character?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Waggy the Dog
I must know for a sociology project I am doing, so would anyone know the answer to this?

Who was the first Gay/Lesbian Movie character?

BackFire
*shrugs* Dracula?

Cinemaddiction
Well, I read that in 1972 there was an ABC made-for-TV movie called "That Certain Summer", starring Hal Holbrook and Martin Sheen as a gay couple.

Waggy the Dog
'69 had Midnight Cowboy. I'm sure there is something earlier than that, I just can't find it.

BadKitty
I was thinking The Boys in the Band but that was 1970

MildPossession
Lots of homosexual characters way before 1972.

Look up Different From Others, it's from 1919. German I think. Had a homosexual man in that.

Not sure about very first, but that's one I can remember from studies.

Fireworks, from the 40's. By Kenneth Anger.

carnival_junkie
I'm honestly not sure about dates or people. But please, fill me with information, I wish to know.

roundisfunny
I remember seeing a Jimmy Cagney movie years ago in which a character was pretty obviously gay, but I can't remember which movie it was (maybe "The Public Enemy"?).

I do remember that the gay character was an enemy henchman who came over to Cagney's place to intimidate him or something, and Cagney said something like "You fellas want something to eat? I know you (indicating the gay guy) would probably like some fruit, but how about the rest of ya?"

Reborn Again
www.imdb.com The Internet Movie Database. Everything you need to know you can find here.

Red Superfly
C3PO?

mc pee pants
the dude from moby dick... queequeg or something...

Patient_Leech
Bumping for rudester.. wink

rudester

rudester
One could argue that a lot of actors/artist were gay but were secretly gay and did not come out of the closet because it was to dangerous. It is my belief that, Burt Lancaster was infact gay, all the wives he divorced and then later on in life he would support gay rights", either he did it for a loved one or he did it for himself.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ivWX1b9wiEw/TEn-i3aX0MI/AAAAAAAABjA/xDXDuJcuccE/s1600/gantry1.jpg

rudester
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_history

heres a link to LGBT History.

siriuswriter
Well, Cary Grant was gay, as well as Rock Hudson - who played all those manly man roles opposite Doris Day in things like "Pillow Talk." I don't know of any lesbians in the time period.

But trust Rudester. big grin

Patient_Leech
I understood this thread to mean that the character in the film was gay. Not necessarily the actor in real life.

siriuswriter
Gay character? HOkay then. No leads, just some gang bosses thinking they were being funny. Like the Cagney fruit joke. There's a lot of innuendo like this throughout the Golden Age. Katharine Hepburn played a part where she was a boxer and Spencer Tracy was her coach - probably was innuendo, but actually coming out gay? No.
The 70's had the idea of someone being gay - Three's Company. I wonder if HAIR had a gay character... I don't think so... EVerything else, but not homosexual.

God, that's a good question. I can't think of anything from the 60's...
Even in Will and Grace they wouldn't show a gay kiss... That had to wait until "Glee," which probably has the most break-thrus - gay kissing, and lesbian kissing, and a popular person .

I Dream of Genie and Bewitched - an obviously homosexual lady and a married woman with children. [but there were a whole 'lotta jokes about the two guys being gay from their superior...

siriuswriter
Gay character? HOkay then. No leads, just some gang bosses thinking they were being funny. Like the Cagney fruit joke. There's a lot of innuendo like this throughout the Golden Age. Katharine Hepburn played a pa

the ninjak
Originally posted by BackFire
*shrugs* Dracula?

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae259/the_ninjak/youknow_sg.gif

Didn't know about Burt Lancaster and Cary Grant. The only gay characters I can think of are-

-The Doc from Lost in Space.
-The black kid in Revenge of the Nerds.
-Couple in the Birdcage.
-Al Pacino's character in Dog Day Afternoon.

Manchub
Rope- 1948

Heavily implied that Brandon and Philip are gay...

at least that's what I thought

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.