Team America vs South Park: B, L & U

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Myth
I love both but I laughed so much more during Team America: World Police.

kingcoot
Mmmkay Kyle. I think you need to stop throwing Mr Hankey in my Coffee and start your multiplication tables. Mmmkay.

The whole thing about Screen Actors Guild (SAG) was really great. I think the name is dumb. It would have been Film Actors Guild, and I'm glad it was in the movie. Film sounds better than screen anyways.

forumcrew
i like south park a lot but i didnt love the movie.. therefor team america wins easy

WindDancer
Both are absouletly GREAT! I can't choose one over the other. They both made me laughing and most important....I was very entertain by them. yes

BackFire
I have to say South Park:BLU. Just because of the fimiliarity of South Park and how much i love that show.

alic88
team america had its funny moments.. but the movie wasnt hilarious all the way through... but2mention some of the funny scenes.. when that "actor" keeps vomiting.... LMFAO.. and when hez tryin2tell the guyz ITS ME... and they go like I THINK THE TERRORIST IS SAYING KISS ME... LETS SHOOT THE MOTHER FCUKER..lmao........ and tht C O C K- SUCKIN in the end.. HAHAHAHAH...some really funny moments in movie

Xtremechik2
I agree

BadKitty
I picked south park..but team America was funny and it came at just the right time...it was hard to choose

Corranhorn
Basically Trey Parker And Matt Stone Are Geniuses

Cinemaddiction
Not really. Just opportunists, and they wouldn't have the freedom they do if it weren't for Mike Judge, with "Beavis and Butthead".

Alison and I were invited to stay with her Dad, Brother and Ex-wife to watch "Team America" last night, and having read some select quotes from the movie, I totally decided against it. I've never been a fan of toilet humor, and I couldn't begin to describe how I'd feel once the "Three kinds of people" montage were to come on.

Even if the rest of the film were clean, which it isn't by any stretch, I don't know that I'd watch it.

crazy
Matt and Trey are totally geniuses, South Park is one of the greatest cartoon shows of all time.

Cinemaddiction
In what way are these guys supposed geniuses? They made a vile cartoon show, then took "The Thunderbirds" gimmick to get across a political agenda?

Hardly genius.

Myth
Deciding to do a Michael Bay style of movie with puppets is genius. I'm sorry if your fagile little mind got offended, but the comedic timing of those "toilet humor" jokes were great.

BackFire
Matt and Trey are, currently, the undisputed kings of satire and parody. Their keen knack to tackle very controversial topics in South Park (such as the catholic church scandel, and the hunt for Osama Bin Laden) while still keeping it silly, hilarious and void of didactic story telling is definately a thing of genius.

The true brilliance of South Park, however, is their thesis at the end of the show, there is always a moral to be learned from every episode of south park, and the fact that they make this moral valid all the while not being afraid to use the occasion toilet humor type joke shows what kind of genius they are. They never take themselves seriously, even when tackling taboo topics. Too often people (who usually haven't seen much of South Park) pass it off as nothing but toilet humor, all the while simply ignoring all the intelegent jokes in every episode.

I mean, there's a reason South Park is one of the most successful and long running TV shows currenly on, it's because it is a great show, one of the few on TV, and their ability to make episodes about very serious topics, while still managing to be silly and not take themselves seriously is a stroke of genius. There is another show that used to achieve a similar stroke of genius while it was in its prime, it's called The Simpsons.

Plus, their "Dick pussy *******" analogy in Team America is one of the most sound, hilarious and witty analogies ever created.

They are definately comic geniuses, arguably the greatest comic geniuses of today.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Myth
Deciding to do a Michael Bay style of movie with puppets is genius. I'm sorry if your fagile little mind got offended, but the comedic timing of those "toilet humor" jokes were great.

Them's fightin' werds, and the last thing you need is me on your ass. wink

Genius, atleast this day in age, is incredibly overused by people who can't appreciate its true meaning, so I take all the accolades and praise with a grain of salt.

Just to acknowledge your reply, my far from fragile, and certainly not little mind wouldn't be so much offended, it's just that I try to find things that are in good taste, not relying on trash humor to entertain people. Puppet sex, clever, but hardly genius. Filthy dialogue for entertainment. Nuh uh. Like whatever you want, you feel sorry for my being offended and I'll feel sorry for you having low standards in entertainment and being entertained by smut? I'm not saying that I don't appreciate the unconventional methods by which they took their approach (puppets), but the content is what doesn't work for me. Fair enough?

Originally posted by BackFire
Matt and Trey are, currently, the undisputed kings of satire and parody. Their keen knack to tackle very controversial topics in South Park (such as the catholic church scandel, and the hunt for Osama Bin Laden) while still keeping it silly, hilarious and void of didactic story telling is definately a thing of genius.

The true brilliance of South Park, however, is their thesis at the end of the show, there is always a moral to be learned from every episode of south park, and the fact that they make this moral valid all the while not being afraid to use the occasion toilet humor type joke shows what kind of genius they are. They never take themselves seriously, even when tackling taboo topics. Too often people (who usually haven't seen much of South Park) pass it off as nothing but toilet humor, all the while simply ignoring all the intelegent jokes in every episode.

I mean, there's a reason South Park is one of the most successful and long running TV shows currenly on, it's because it is a great show, one of the few on TV, and their ability to make episodes about very serious topics, while still managing to be silly and not take themselves seriously is a stroke of genius. There is another show that used to achieve a similar stroke of genius while it was in its prime, it's called The Simpsons.

Plus, their "Dick pussy *******" analogy in Team America is one of the most sound, hilarious and witty analogies ever created.

They are definately comic geniuses, arguably the greatest comic geniuses of today.

Naturally, I'm going to disagree. Taking things out of the headlines and putting a twsited, comedic spin on things to get across personal agendas, IMO, isn't genius. It's being an opportunist, using a medium to your advantage. Anyone can do it. South Park didn't start off like that, but there were plenty of appeasements that were extended to the show once it started doing well, just like Chappelle's Show. Being on cable has done both shows a world of good, because of the stretched boundaries. That said, I don't think having a good "message" at the end necessarily makes all the garbage humor "OK".
I like South Park, but even the movie wasn't as filthy as what was in "TA:WP". Occassional toilet humor joke is putting it very, very conservatively.

The reason "South Park" is still on can be attributed to any number of things. The people its geared towards don't tune in for life affirmation and clever messages packaged in a raunchy cartoon. That's for damn sure. I'm interested to hear their take on things, sure, and how they execute it, but it's like Marilyn Manson, only in cartoon form.

The appendage dialogue, and how anyone feels about it is strictly opinion. It's not in good taste, it's meant to entertain a certain audience, and it looks like it did. How about the "shitting all over your balls" line? That's funny to you people? How? Meh, I won't even bother.

The term genius needs an overhaul. Zucker/Abrahams/Proft are FACTUALLY in a TOTALLY different league of "genius" than Parker and Stone. One comedic, one marketing. You figure it out.

(For the record, I own and love "South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut". There's truely no comparison between the two movies, though.)

BackFire
Anyone can do it, but very few can do it well. Like I said, what makes them genius isn't the fact that they do make episodes about current events, it's the WAY they do it. They keep it light hearted, even when dealing with serious events, all the while still getting a very serious, sound and important message across that is usually right on the money.

This is another incorrect generalization you're making. Many people tune in for the messages and because they're curious as to how South Park is going to handle whatever topic may be in the news. It's always exciting to see their opinion on things, and what kind of jokes they're going to make about it.

Some people do tune in soley for the fart and dick jokes, I'll give you that, but just as many tune in for the intelegent humor that lies within every episode, and is actually the driving force behind each episode, there is more quality and witty jokes in south park and TA then there are toilet humor. And often times, Trey and Matt combine the two, so we'll get an intelegent joke wrapped up within toilet humor. Because of this, people often miss the witty part and focus on the raunchy part.

Fact is, people turn to South Park for their current event jokes, moreso then any other show currently on. Much like people used to turn to The Simpsons or SNL in the past for these same things, Now, south park is the premier source of parody on current events on Television.

It's not really funny, it wasn't really meant to be "haha" funny. It's just one of the many "holy shit, did they just say that, that's so sick that it's funny" shock moments that Trey and Matt do all the time.

Sure, some of South Park/TA dialogue is in "bad taste", but whether or not bad taste is actually bad is arguable. "Bad taste" is a term people use for humor that is too much for them, dealing with a topic that they find to be offensive, they'll often throw in "bad taste" to describe it. Every good, influential comedic mind has been accused of being "in bad taste" at some point or another. Fact is, bad taste = attention. South Park became famous for their over the top amounts of "bad taste" jokes in every episode, it became a sensation that is often copied now after the fact. But, the genius of south park is also in their ability in continuing to shock and disgust people after 8 years of being on the air. They continue to push the envelope, and they continue to get attention for their topics and the way they handle them, genius is staying fresh, staying ahead of the game, and staying in the spot light, South Park has achieved all of this.

Yep, totally different league, but whether or not that league is above park and stone up for grabs.

I love Zucker, in his prime he was definately the king of satire and parody. Though now, he's fallen, his humor is dated, old and stale. This was apparant in SM3. His humor just isn't edgy anymore. As I said, Trey and Matter are the CURRENT kings of parody and satire, that means, right now. Their humor is much more edgy in this day in age then zucker, they are in their prime right now, where as Zucker was in his prime 20 years ago.

Finally, lets check the definition of genius -

"Extraordinary intellectual and creative power."

Trey and Matt definately fall under this catagory. They have a unique comedic touch that will make some people buckle over with laughter, and some red with rage. Their creative power, so to speak, is pretty obvious as far as I'm concerned. They've created a whole new perspective on parody.

On a more personal note, C-Dic, just want you to know I love having debates and discussions with you. We often disagree, but you're a great debater and it's always fun to discuss things with you. Much respect for you, my friend.

Myth
CA - I just want to clarify that I didn't really intend to attack you. I was just making a quick point. The fact of the matter is that it appears that you decided to turn completely against the movie simply because you found toilet humor in it. In reality, it is funny whether it used toilet humor or not. When I first saw it, there was about 10 people in the theater. Yet, it was still one of the loudest crowds at the theater because those 10 people were dying with laughter. Who cares how they got their humor, it was there and it was astonishing.

Myth
Also, "reading" through select quotes doesn't quite show the way the lines are delivered.

ragesRemorse
as much as i love matt and trey, world police was a shit fest. This could have been a great oppertunity for these guys to make people think, and really push the line by shoving peoplese views and beliefs in their face. However, World police was nothing more than an hour and a half movie of tedious, ordinary political jokes.

Cinemaddiction
No arguing with you there. But these guys aren't the first, just the most effective. I won't take anything away from them, either.

I'm not in the business of making sweeping generalizations, it's all about public perception. You see who wears South Park shirts, you see who buys loads of Criterion DVD's and drinks at Starbucks. It's just common perception, and I'm not trying to say EVERYONE fits that mold, it's just making an assessment on what I see. Of course, I wouldn't necessarily want the same treatment, thing is, people know how varied I am, tastewise. Unless, of course, getting Casablanca, Dog Soldiers, The Blue Lagoon, and Cat in the Hat on DVD all at once isn't considered varied, lol.

I just find a hard time percieving people tuning into a show (religiously) to see what someone elses standpoint is on something. It's just different. I know the guys themselves are actually very smart, and I'd like to hear what they have to say personally.

That's what I see as an almost failsafe way of winning with both sides. It's not fair, then partial debaters/movie fans like me can't win, lol. The question is, what reputation is more important to them? The one for outrageous/hilarious sketches, or the one for having the biggest balls in the movie world, and putting their bravery and non-chalant attitude out there on display? I don't like the sex jokes, I love their humor (i.e. "Basketball" is a personal favorite.) I wish it were one or the other. In their defense, "Team America" is my only gripe, content wise.

Craziness. Atleast they aren't watched MAD TV. I'd watch "The Daily Show" but I hate politics, personally. I haven't seen South Park personally in months, but, that shows doesn't even bother me, like I said.

The shock value analogy about Manson is what I was implying here. It's not entertainment, it's wanting to see how far these cats will go. I guess it's pretty far, but I'd rather see them exploit something else. People have got to see it as more intentionally offensive and crass than entertaining. Thing is, there are people that thrive on that humor, being kids.

Don't be so generous, man! Is it not in bad taste to say that someone doesn't want to be an ******* because..then goes about graphically describing the male and female anatomy, down to the ****ing INCHES AND DIAMETERS BETWEEN THEM!? sick

I can appreciate the parody in that, the whole smart assed description, but did it REALLY have a place in that flick, or merit such a vivid description? You know, I was hoping that before too long, people would tire of toilet humor, but as long as there are kids, I guess it's a pipe dream.

But they had their chance for absolute spoofy greatness in "BASEketball", working with David Zucker. You could tell that the two brands of humor mix 100%. Thing is, spoof comedy is slowly going the way of the dinosaur. Just like slapstick, it's safe and always funny, but eventually people are going to be drawn towards the more outrageous brand.

I won't make excuses, but Zucker is rusty, and "Scary Movie 3", while not his best by far, wasn't THAT bad. Spoof humor IS dated, and all spoof humor is is satire. Honestly, I think that Christopher Guests 2 films are better satires/parodies than Parker/Stone's. I dunno if peopl e will percieve that as bold, or said in spite, but I honestly feel that way. ESPECIALLY "Best in Show". I do think however that Parker/Stone are the best in dragging out dirty laundry of the world. Especially "Operation Human Shield" in "SP:BLU". There were so many instances that were uproarious, but totally true. Mission accomplished. I hope that Zucker is taking the time to put together a spoof for all the diehards that's worthy of his namesake.

Fair enough. I always keep the traditional definition of the term in the back of my mind. Even when it comes to comedic genius, Marx Bros, Zucker/Abraham/Proft, Three Stooges...they all come to mind before Trey and Matt. I think their day will come, but just not yet.

Right back at you. I'm glad there's people like you around that will actually listen to me, lol. God knows we'll be the only two debating anything in this thread, anyway. It's always fun, and I needed a good, solid verbal sparring. It's been waaaaaaay too long. yes

I never took it that way, man. If I had, I woulda made it a point to exploit the "***ile little mind" quip. I never turned against the movie personally. I never saw it, and based my opinion on the script, quotes, and everyone elses input. I personally don't care how people get their entertainment, I just hold higher standards, and am not amused by puppets ****ing, crude sexual dialogue, and whatever other graphic displayes filmmakers think they need to add to get across messages, and entertain others. Whereas Fritz Lang did just fine with "Metropolis". A silent movie that still stands the test of time, and that's a fact, whereas the value of the comedy in "TA:WP" is subjective. Incredibly subjective.

Besides, there are only so many ways a line about analogies to the anatomy can be delivered in a high spirited parody, and monotone isn't one of them.

BackFire
Yeah, I get you, but there are people who do it for that reason. I'm one of them. I watch South Park pretty religiously, it's probably my favorite show currently on TV, and when I watch it it's not for the dick or fart jokes, it's to see what they have to say on a particular topic, though, another big part of it is to see how they're going to top themselves in the "offensive" department. To see what they're going to do in this new episode that will still shock me, reguardless of how many prior episodes I've seen, and they rarely disapoint. It's fun to watch them push the envelope.

They don't care about their reputation. In countless interviews, they've made it clear that they don't care what people think about them, they just want to have fun and mess around and get money. This is probably what allows them to be so raunchy, they don't care who they piss off. So, in that sense, staying true to themselves is what's important to them, and it's pretty obvious, they love their toilet humor, and they love pushing the envelope. So take that for what you will.

Now, let me ask you, were their things in Team America that you did like? Or did the whole movie just do nothing for you?

As far as I know, Trey and Matt had nothing to do with the creative department of that movie, so the humor wasn't really trey and matt type humor. It was almost all Zucker (though there were a few moments that you could tell Trey and Matt had a say in) I'd actually be very interested to see a movie written by Trey and Zucker, see how their humor clashed. Sure would be something to see.

Nah, SM3 wasn't that bad, had me cracking up something awful a few times, and maybe Zucker is just rusty, time will tell with that.

I'm not too sure that the spoof is tired, just the traditional spoof style that is pretty much recognized across the board. I'd love to see Trey and Matt do a real spoof of something (which TA kinda was).

LiL nAstY GirL
Nothing can beat Team America's "Adurka durka durka"

sk8stuff09
they were both really funny, but for some reason i laughed more in South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut. Both really good movies.

botankus
Saw World Police yesterday and am pleased that it took the direction that it did in regards to politics. I was afraid it would be overburdened with America bashing and, outside of satire which was quite humorous, it really wasn't. If anything, it was a shot at the "P" part of the "3 kinds of people."

Anyways....thought it was funny, yet I agree with Cory about going overboard with some of the toilet humor.

However, I absolutely LOVED the "Theme Song!"

botankus
Speaking of the Theme Song, remember how Robin Williams performed "Blame Canada" at the 2000 Oscars?

I would love to have seen "America, F-Yeah" nominated for Best Song and performed by Enrique Iglesius.

Myth
Trey Parker was hoping that "Ronery" would get nominated and performed by the real life Kim Jong Il.

Curl_Up&Dye
i loved team america.... but there was a few awkward moments when i saw it with my boyfriend....

aka the 10 minute long puppet porno scene...and a couple of the oral sex references/scenes

Myth
get over it big grin

botankus
Actually, I think my fiancee would love the movie except she would miss most of the film because she would cut it off after the puppet bedroom scene.

Jackie Malfoy
I hate both of them so I would not care to say which one I hate the most.JM

botankus
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
I hate both of them so I would not care to say which one I hate the most.JM

***ATTENTION, JACKIE, READ THIS POST****

You hated both movies? Did you see both of them or do you just hate the concepts?

botankus
Well, I didn't expect a reply because my post wasn't one of the first 2 sentences of the thread.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.