Episode I sucked!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Superfly4000
I'm sorry, as a Star Wars fan I have to admit that Star Wars episode I sucked. I wish there was a way to re-edit it. Does any one know how I could do that, or anywhere that i can find a re-edited version of it?

plenTpak52
that is one stupid-ass question

§pearhead
Want to know why Episode one was good?

Darth Maul and Destroyer Droids yes only two good things bout it

OB1-adobe
You should actually spend more time finding a life than re-editing a movie that is not yours. pff "star wars fan". jesus christ are you that bored?

tpaquin
"Episode I: The Phantom Edit" is out there.

Its most notable change is changing Jar Jar's voice to subtitled, deeper, and more alien.

Jedi Priestess
I had no problem with The Phantom Menace at with the exception of JarJar but I could live with him.

Jerico
The only worthwhile change would be the complete elimination of Jar Jar i dont care if you have to re-shoot the whole movie.

yerssot
as tex would say:

"Jar Jar bashing is like sooooo 1999"

DARK ASSASSIN
ha!

Sith Master X
Well as much as I disagree Superfly, I respect your opinion.

To me, Episode 1 was great, and the same for Episode 2 although I found Episode 2 to be even better of course.

Xam
in my opinion i think the prequels should start off with the storyline from episode 2!

WindDancer
I like/enjoyed The Phantom Menace more than Attack of the Clones. There was none of that mushy love story stuff. thumb down

Jackie Malfoy
IT SUCKED BIG TIME!And belive me I argee with you.Not only was the acting terrible but it was a very disapointing movie.
I almost felt a little bit of shame being a star wars fan when I saw that movie.And to me that means that movie really did have to really suck.
Anyway I have a line that brothered me for the whole movie. "Sand storms are very very dangers!(Without a breath)let me take you to my home!All I have to say is Jake Lloyd are you sure you are an actor?JM mad

ElvesRule24/7
For me i felt Episode 1 had more of a Star Wars feel to it. After watching episode 2 a number of times i felt it was to cgi-ish and that it didnt have a "real" feel to it. Granted i enjoy watching both movies. But if i had to pick one i enjoyed more, it would be episode 1.

moonwalker741
i found episode one really really good..
aotc was horrible..
i hate when people are like, "oh! episode one was nothing like a starwars movie!!"
well theres something called origin....

and Superfly4000? can you give a reason why Episode I sucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so much?

moonwalker741
exactly yes

Xanatos
Dito nice to see some people like TPM. It's actually my favorite out of all of them.

ElvesRule24/7
cool, didnt think anyone else would feel the same way. I dont hate epi.2, but ob1 jumping through the glass, Anakin jumping out of the speeder, and Yoda and c-3po being c-gi just didnt work for me. But still both movies kick ass and are fun to watch. Cant wait for episode 3.

Red Superfly
I like Phantom Menace more too.

Seeing Obi-Wan and Qui-Gonn together was actually how I pictured the Jedi - an older human and a younger human wielding sabers.

AOTC had too many rubbish/ugly/stupid Jedi.

Phantom Menace also had a better villain, Darth Maul is up there with Boba and Jango in the "wasted potential" department.

The saber fight was better, and the action was more believable. The pod race absolutely rocked.

Nevertheless, I do wish Anakin was older. I seriously wanted Vader to come in much earlier into the series, and TPM story wasted a lot of time.

I would have prefferred for Anakin to be his older self when he is a slave. I always pictured the saga to kick off when Anakin is a lot older. Having him begin his story the same age as Luke would also show how similar their lives were, and how Luke went one way, Anakin went another.

Also, Anakin growing older with his mother by his side would have been more of an ordeal, and more painful when she is killed. Imagine how good it would be when Anakin flips out over his mothers death, and then watch the OT as Luke is able to "bury" his feelings when his Uncle and Aunt are killed, it would be more like "father and son".

I just wish Obi-Wan met Anakin on Tatooine, and Obi-Wan basically filled in Qui-Gonns role - I never understood why Obi-Wan didn't live up to "reckless" reputation when he was younger. It would have been so bad-ass to see Obi-Wan free older Anakin from his slavery, and that's how Anakin looks up to Obi-Wan, and we'd see Obi-Wan living up to the "took it upon myself to train him" quote from ROTJ.
My Star Wars in my head is more fun than Lucas'

Darth_Decimator
i reckon they were both great but they couldve been so much better , i reckon ep 2 shouldve been ep 1 , ep 3 ep 2 , and a whole ep 3 for vader and the emperor takin over the galaxy , think about have darth maul play dookus role only with more intensity and rage , meet teenage anakin along the way qui-gon is wary obi wan dives into training him head first , maul kills qui gon yoda saves obi wan whilst anakin plays a big part in an aerial battle , the clone war starts , and anakin and padme marry. then we get no gungans , no dooku , no battle for naboo no lame ass podrace , no shmi skywalker & no f@#$in jake lloyd ! then we have ep III as it is cause it will be awsome
Discuss !!!

Darth_Decimator
one thing that dissapointed me alot about the prequels is the relationship thus far between obi wan and anakin , too many "my young padawn"s & "my very young apprentice"s when there shouldve been more stress on thier friendship and so its more of a shock and betrayal when anakin turns , this of course is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions ...... anywayz , neither prequel was perfect but the were by no means bad movies , imho they were great movies , im sure ep 3 will more than make up for anyone feeling flat after the prequels because i gotta hunch this film is what weve all been waiting for

Red Superfly
Yeah, Anakin keeps saying "he's like my father". Prove it.

So far it's just Anakin and Obi-Wan, master and apprentice. The only dialogue that seemed to connect the two on a friendship level was in the lift going to see Padme, the rest of dialogue was arguing.

This is why I was such an advocate of having Attack Of The Clones in Episode 1, or at least having Obi-Wan be the one who finds Anakin, and takes it "upon himself" to train him. I'm still quite baffled as to why Qui Gonn was needed. Having Obi-Wan do Qui Gonns role in Episode 1 would mean the friendship between Anakin and Obi-Wan was there.

As far as Episode 1 was concerned, Obi-Wan was "lumbered" with Anakin. Imagine how much better it would have been if the saga kicked off with Anakain being a slave up until, say, Lukes age in ANH, and Obi-Wan doing the freeing. It would still have the "mirroring" of the ANH in that Obi-Wan took the Skywalkers off on their adventures at the same age, and both ended up being very different to each other. That would have been so much cooler than seeing such a forced relationship in Attack of The Clones, and Anakins betrayal in Revenge Of The Sith would have meant so much more.

Red Superfly
Actually, you thought up a pretty good use for Qui-Gonn. Switch his character with Obi-Wan.

In my opinion, Qui-Gonn acted more like Obi-Wan "claimed" he used to be like. Qui-Gonn should have been more like Mace Windu, wary of Anakin, and DIDN'T want him to be trained.

I actually wanted Yoda to be Obi-Wans direct master, because that was how it was ORIGINALLY in the OT ("The Jedi master who instructed me", and "I thought I could teach him just as well as Yoda" implies that Obi-Wan was ONLY taught by Yoda). Qui-Gonn was a new character just for the sake of making new sh*t up.

But, it would have been so much cooler if Obi-Wan discovered Anakin, and took it upon himself to free him and train him.

There was never any need for Lucas to re-write the saga and make stuff up that isn't needed. There was a better way of doing it.

Sith Master X
About the complaints of AOTC being a CGI fest and that it sucked because of that....didn't TPM have just about the same amount of CGI as AOTC? messed

Maybe AOTC had more, because in Episode 1, alot of it takes place on Tatooine, which most of it was not CGI. But between both movies, it was pretty close.

ElvesRule24/7
Granted Episode 1 did have cgi close to AOTC. But to me it seemed in TPM that the cgi was used in the right way. A little bit here, a little bit there. In AOTC it just seemed everything was cgi, and that took away from the feel of the movie. Lucas has to learn that less is more.

Red Superfly
Less is ALWAYS more, you are right. It's one of the main reasons why the OT is far superior.

I'm so glad Lucas made those movies when he couldn't get his hands on CGI to replace 90% of his scenes.

tpaquin
I get chills when I think of what Darth VAder would hva e looked like if he had had the technology.

My opion on Episode I...

...I like it..

Why? Because it's sort of thsi fantastical adaptation of the Star Wars universe, and it's really like a fantasy, and a legend, and through that storybook atmosphere, it works for a legend before the down time.

Red Superfly
He would be NOWHERE NEAR as cool as the Darth Vader we all know.

Think about it, Vader's image comes DIRECTLY from the opening scene of ANH.

Vader had a breathing mask because "he had to get from the Star Destroyer to the other ship". It was NOT because Lucas came up with him being a burned out husk of a dead man underneth on life support. He was just a man in a space suit.

The fact that Lucas was restricted in the locations he could have, he could only do tight corridors and ship interiors for the first movie because of the budget.

The whole reason why Darth Vader has a breathing mask is because. The opening scene happened to be a "crossing from ship to ship" scene.

Now, what if Lucas had the technology/money of today? He'd be allowed to have his wonderful planets, and there is a good chance that if the first ever scene with Darth Vader DIDN'T NEED a space suit, then it's also highly likely that Vader wouldn't be in any kind of space suit.

Vader didn't start out as Anakin Skywalker burnt up, he started out as a thug who killed Lukes father.
Watch the documentaries - it's only because Vader is boarding a space ship does he wear a mask. The artist and George Lucas didn't come up with the reason WHY he was in the space suit until after ANH was done.
What if Lucas had his way, and Vader never boarded a ship in his first scene? He would NOT be anywhere near the same CHARACTER we know and love today.

tpaquin
That, essentailly, was what I was trying to say.

Red Superfly
OK, cool.

Imagine if he had the technology to have the first scene on, say, Alderaan? Darth Vader wouldn't need the breathing mask (people at the back, remember, this was Lucas' only reason for Vaders breathing apparatus at that time). What would he look like? An alien? I bet so.

Just because Lucas has all this CGI, he's gone into alien overload. Alien this, alien that, droids here, droids there. Where are the f**cking humans Lucas?

I bet if Lucas had his way with the Trilogy, Darth Vader would be a CGI rodian who could spin his head round 360 degrees, turn his arm into a toaster and curl up into a flying ball and attack X-Wings in space.

X-Wings wouldn't be X-Wings, they'd be Transformers. "Optimus Prime standing by - lock S-foils in truck mode".

Princess Leia would look like Sy Snootles, chewbacca would have all the onscreen presence of Jar Jar Binks.

And Stormtroopers would be clones of Boba Fetts dad - oh, hang on.........

Red Superfly
Edit

ElvesRule24/7
o well, guess the OT was made at the right time with the right people for the characters. Guess certain things happen for a reason. And dont say it's because of the force. lol.

Red Superfly
It's because of money.

ElvesRule24/7
true dat

eXSBass
What is wrong with you man? I mean a true Star Wars fan wouldn't even say any Star Wars movie sucked. They would see it in any perspective. At the end of the day, it's your fault if you read the script early so you spoilt it for yourself.

I mean, you saying "Episode I sucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!", so what? George ain't going to change it for you. And crying out to us? Why? What do you achieve? If you want to discuss it at least do it in an ordely manner. I mean what the hell is "Episode I sucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"?

For crying out loud did you even give Ep1 a chance? Did you even wait till the Saga is finished and see if Ep II and III impacted on it?
Did you even watch the extras like a true Star Wars fan and take into account what George said about this being the introduction of all the Star Wars elements so it's going to be a daunting tasks?

Eh. New commer Star Wars fans crack me up.

The Ones
Am i the only fan that likes every single SW movie thats out. the only thing that i would change is the person that played anakin skywalker. what was george thinking. terrible acting from him. other that that, it told the story of how ani was encountered and how obi comes to train him and the mightedly pissing of from sidious, when they destroyed the trade federation, to announce a full scale attack in ep2. i think it fitted in qute well as every episode has a story to tell about the skywalkers life and being seduced by good and evil. it was actualy episode 1 that made me into a star wars mad man and am not regretting it

Each episode has a story to tell:

EP 1- the encounter of ani and his starting to be a jedi (80%)

EP 2- ani goes against the jedi council laws and falls in love + the brilliant clone wars to mark sidious's revenge (82 %)

EP3- how ani is seduced by the dark side and why all the jedi are extinct and the birth of Luke and Leia (Possible 99%)

Ep4- obi finding luke and training him to become a jedi (72%)

Ep5- life of DV and father vs son duel and DV reviels to luke that he is his father (95%)

Ep6- vaiders redemption. (94%)

some say that ep 2 was too "CGI-ish". all the cgi that was needed to be in there was in there. if there was no cgi then they wouldnt be able to do the clone wars.

sorry for the long post but i just wanted my point to come across

Julie
Ummm sure....so uh when did you come to this conclusion?

The Ones
just now

Jedi Priestess
Nope Ones I like em all too. smile

The Ones
cool

Telemicus
I am a true Star Wars fan. EPISODE 1 SUCKED.

but, as you say, its all in perspective.
Episode I and II, were 'good' films, if you had never seen the OT.

Unfortunately, I've watched the OT more times than I care to remember.

Red Superfly
Well, I for one am sick to death of the so called 'true star wars' fans telling us that we "shouldn't consider ourselves Star Wars fans" if we don't like the WHOLE six episodes 100% blindly.

Put it this way - if you removed the name "Star Wars" from the prequels - they'd be crap. If the OT wasn't made first and MADE fans go and see them, they'd be a failure. They'd be the sci-fi equivalent of Ben Affleck.

And, anybody with half a brain would tell you the prequels are NOT as good. If you have a sound knowledge of narrative and dialogue that works, and keeps in line with the OT for a start, then you'd understand that the newer films just aren't as good.

They are good, I watch'em over and over myself, but I don't blindly LOVE the movies, thinking they are perfect.

Anybody that cannot fault any of the Star Wars films, is a complete dolt. Even Empire Strikes Back, my fave movie, has faults, but they aren't as glaringly obvious as the ones in the PT.

Sith Master X
And some people like myself could give an absolute shit about the dialogue. I'm not gonna sit down and fuss about every little bad line that comes out of the movie. As long as GL gets the point across, then that's plenty good for me.

tpaquin
I thought about ti more, and i"ve decided that the prequels are way too political which is a hinderance in ther comparison to things like Hitler.

Jedi Priestess
Money had very little to do with the success of the OT. And this is one instance where if you weren't alive for the first showing of ANH in 77, you cant possibly know. I realise that many fans came later when the saga was re-relased but by then there had been alot of improvements made in cinema technology and other movies that had been made with these types of effects. The OT succeeded because at that time there had been nothing cinematicaly as visual as Star Wars as far as special effects. Many of the movies were about wars and other serious matters. Along came Star Wars out of the blue with awesome special effects and a story line that appealed to many of us back then and has obviously captured our hearts as one of the best movies going experiences we've had. yes

yerssot
actually, I watched EpI and EpIV yesterday...
perhaps the idea that EpI sucks is also (besides reasons posted in this forum a hundred times) because that EpIV implies more than it shows... while EpI shows more but barely implies...
just a new thing on the "he's too independant of special effects"-pov wink

Darth Surgent
"Episode 1 sucked"

You are confusing episode 1 with yourself...

Jodo kast
Well said!

kalsolar
Episode 1 didnt suck as much as episode 2. In episode 1 we had the irritating slap stick Cgi Jar jar, but then in episode 2 we had the whining, unlikeable testosterone fuelled adolesant Anakin. The ironinc difference between Anakin and Darth Vader..is that we are all captivated by Darth Vaders evil presence and we love to see him on the screen, where as the compartively less evil teenage Anakin we just want to slap round the head.

Mandorallen
you guys,

episode I was good along with episode II,
But they will never be as good as epodes 4-6 you just cant beat the original. I enjoyed episodes I and II, but I still will always prefer the old episodes over the new anyday. I am still looking forward to episode III, I think I would prefer episode III over episodes I&II, because I like the script, I've read it myself.

-mandorallen

Clovie
i noticed one thread here where i can post! eek!

IT REALLY DID!!!!!!!!! big grin

Mr Parker
actually Darth Maul was about the worst part of that Movie.Him and Jar Jar binks both.as much as I hated episode one and yes the thread starter here is correct,it did suck.I dont think it was as bad as return of the jedi,the most dissapointing of the bunch.

Sith Master X
No he's not correct. It's his opinion that Episode 1 sucked. Myself, along with many others enjoyed Episode 1. It's a matter of a opinion, not fact.

Darth Subjekt
how the hell did ROTJ suck?!?!?! It was the best one so far, only cause we havent seen ROTS.

ArthasKnight
Anakin was the age he is in TPM to show innocence. The prequel trilogy wanted to show the viewers just how much Anakin turned from this loveable boy (albiet with no acting skill) to the Darth Vader we all know. If Anakin had been older, and much moodier judging by teens today, it wouldn't have been as powerful. I know I look at Vader today and think to myself "I can't believe he was that little boy on Tatooine." It just shows a complete transformation from innocence to evil (at least up to ROTJ). I think it would have been worse had Anakin been older than 9 years old.

moonwalker741
Episode 1 was good as a 'Story'
Episode 1 was bad as a 'Movie'

if that makes any sense..

.:Space Opera:.
jake lloyd sucked butt.

Sith Master X
He was a little shakey, but tolerable in my opinion.

Darth_Decimator
i cant tolerate him at all his was without a doubt some of the worst acting that ive ever seen , jar jar was a pleasure compared to listening to that little turds "YIPEE !!!!"

El Toro
"Are you an angel?" sick

episode 1 is average @ best after countless viewing. but man when we first saw it i swear the whole audience (much of it were the boys from my hi school during lunch) were in awe. sweet ending and the pod race was put 2gether rahter nicely.

whitedragon
Episode 1 was great apart from one thing......Jar Jar Binks...wot the hell...this was to attract the younger generations but i don't care because there are enuf Star Wars fanz out there and we would all agree that they wernt there in the beginin man!

Darth Subjekt
Ep1 was just part of the story. Its the first time we got to see fancy swordsmanship, and although we ciould have done without Jar Jar, and maybe even young Ani's constant, "YIPPIE!!!"'s...it was still essential. The reason we saw so much of Jar Jar, was so we could get a feel for why he's so damn stupid, and how there would never be an Empire, if it weren't for him. If he wasnt around, then Padme couldnt have appointed him as a Represenitive, and he couldnt initiate the vote to give Palps absolute power......SO THANKS ALOT JAR JAR....*******!!!

Flying Ferret
Yes, but is that STAR WARS!!??? Is Jar Jar Binks "Star Wars?" I tried to like this film when I went in. I kept telling myself, this is Star Wars, this is Star Wars, but in the pit of my gut, in the back of mind, a little voice continually said, "NO!! Something is very wrong here!"

I could've done without Jar Jar Binks instigating the "military creation" act. It could've been handled much more deftly. The whole prequels could've done without Jar Jar Binks! If Lucas HAD to have Binks in it, at least make him cool like Chewbacca!!! Why couldn't he do that? I'll tell you---Lucas lost his touch! These movies stink on ice and are a betrayal to what IS Star Wars.

I'm working on my definitive "fix list" on how to improve Star Wars prequels (well, to improve ROTJ, too). I'll get it posted as soon as I can. Lucas really didn't need to do a whole lot. He just needed some tempering and story editing, which is what I think his biggest problem is.

Prozak
Which is quite ironic really seeing that the original Star Wars won an oscar for Best Editing in 1977. Definitive proof the man has lost his touch, although i think it was his wife that was the editor and we all know he's lost her...

Flying Ferret
And Walter (?) Murch! Where is he!? (Now I'm wondering if I have the right name.... he was the other editor).

I'm going to bring up another aspect of character in the films, and I'll use a quote I used in another topic:

"Yes, Annie, from TPM was a good, helpful, kind, courteous, a regular boy scout, but Obi-Wan said, "good MAN" not "good little boy." And, what happened to that little boy? I don't see him anywhere in AOTC."

So, I don't think Anakin of AOTC is the "good man" or the "good friend" Obi-Wan said he was in the OOT. He's not even the same person presented in TPM.

Starting from the beginning... in the elevator scene, Anakin brags how he was the one who saved Obi-Wan.

--Not a good example of a "good friendship", and add to the irritation, this scene was a "pick up" scene because Lucas had forgotten to put a "warm moment" between two 'friends.' When they chuckle about it at the end of the conversation, it's a brief, brief, brief look at what could've been. It's just a shame it's a "pick up."

...in Padme's apartment, Anakin countermands his mentor, his teacher, his superior... his friend. Obi-Wan then has to "put him in his place."

--Again, not an example of a "friendship" to me, and a "good man" by definition should not treat his friend like this, and neither would he go against a friends/compatriot's orders, unless they thought it was morally wrong. A friend is someone who you trust, you can count on. Neither Obi-Wan or Anakin show any trust in the other. This is not a good friendship, this is not a "good man." Either one of them for that matter, and this is not the Obi-Wan Kenobi I see from the OOT who was kind and patient.

...When Anakin tells Obi-Wan about his mother and how he worries for her. Obi-Wan dismisses it.

--Again, not a "good friendship"

...When the two are guard duty, Anakin pretty much tells Obi-Wan that his powers are greater than Obi-Wan's.

--This is not a sign of a "good man" nor a "good friend." This more bragging and ego. Even Obi-Wan who doesn't think Anakin is that strong. Some faith in your friend's ability, some encouragement.

...Anakin leers at Padme, even after she told him to stop it.

---In the real world, that'd be grounds for sexual harrassment. I don't count that as a true characteristic of a "good man."

...In the same scene, Anakin complains and whines about how Obi-Wan treats him.

---Doesn't sound like he considers Obi-Wan a "good friend," and most of all, a "good man" would not speak of others in this fashion. It's immature and petulant. Hardly qualities of a "man" let alone a "good man." Again, this does not match the personality of the boy named Anakin in TPM.

...In the speeder chase, again, Anakin brags about his abilities as a Jedi, even saying he's better than Yoda. Obi-Wan impugns him and dismisses his abilities.

---Not a sign of a "good" friendship, not a characteristic of a "good man."

...Again, Obi-Wan, in his discussion between Mace and Yoda remarks on the bad qualities of Anakin.

--This is a "good friend?" Of course, Obi-Wan wouldn't have these complaints if Anakin was a "good man" in the first place!

...In the garage scene, Anakin throws objects and says, "It's not fair... it's all Obi-Wan's fault."

--Again, not qualities of a mature man, a "good man." And, definitely, not a characteristic of a "good friendship."

Anakin is not worthy of redemption in ROTJ. People can say oh, he was a good man between TPM and AOTC. And I say to that, THAT'S the story. We need to SEE Anakin as a good man, so that his fall from grace is more poignmant, more powerful, so that we pull for him, and say, "I hope he comes out of this..." I have neither sympathy nor care for what becomes of Anakin Skywalker.

People also argue that this proves Obi-Wan's line about being a failure as a teacher, about not being as good as Yoda. Then Yoda failed, too, in not instilling any good sense in Obi-Wan to be a good teacher, and how did Obi-Wan's training change Anakin's whole personality? Does...not...wash.

This is a sign of a bad script and bad characterization. Lucas shouldn't have treated these movies like "the skies the limit" with all of the CGI capability. He should've treated it like he first did when he made the original Star Wars. He should've pulled the reins, he should've tempered himself. He really needed people to bounce these ideas off.

Sith Master X
I think you're looking into things a little too much.

Flying Ferret
I don't think you're looking into enough.

kalsolar
I have to agree with ferret that the characterisation of anakin was badly handled in AOTC. We are meant to feel sympathy and have some pity for anakin at times during the story, but in order for us to have sympathy, ...he still has to start off in this movie as likeable. And there's nothing likeable about the character in this movie at all. Theres not even a trace of the character of anakin as he was in TPM. He just comes across as a nausiating and annoying git. For me, asside from the occasional moment here and there these movies just aint star wars. where are the truely likeable and engageing characters in these prequels? There aren't any! Think about it...there really arent any! That and the GL's gung-ho attitude with the CGi just made it all a mess. perhaps OBI-wan and Yoda at a push..but even they aren't as engaging and truley interesting as they were in the original trilogy.

You wanna know what the best thing in AOTC is? Christopher Lee! Yep, count Dukoo (or however u spell it) is the only truely engaging character in the whole movie. And he's the bad guy! Just a pity he's not in more of it than he is. When he was on screen was the only time that I was truely glued to what I was watching.

Darth Subjekt
Again, thats argumenative. I think he is a good man, just that...MAN....he's human and suseptable to mistakes and human error. Jedi are supposed to be like robots apparently...no emotion, no individuality, nothing like that. And i truly think that if Qui Gon would have trained him, ot would have been completely different. He would have given Anakin the respect he deserves..as a person as well as a Jedi and student. You must give respect to get respect, and OB1 gives him none. Even when he gives Ani his props, he still has to throw in something to bring Anakn down. "Good job my very young apprentice." Screw that, just say good job anakin, and go about your business. Ultimatly, all movies these days, are too relient on special effects, and not story. BUT, SW still has a story to back up the SE. And in ROTS, theyre supposed to be friends, being that hes no longer his apprentice, and can view him more on an equal level. This is gonna go back and forth for days, so theres really no point. But, overall, EP1 was a good movie, but compared to the other SW movies, it wasnt up to par, mainly because we didnt know what to expect and it has to set up the OT....btw what is "OOT"? I know OT is original trilogy, but OOT...dont know.

Flying Ferret
It stands for Original Original Trilogy, i.e., non-Special Edition. I just like calling myself an OOTer.

And, yeah, we could go round and round on the definition of Obi-Wan's statement, but flaws and "being human" isn't a definition of being good. You can have flaws and "be human," and be evil, too. Adolph Hitler is flawed and "human," but that doesn't make him good. It's how you overcome it. I have not seen Anakin's attempt to overcome his flaws. In fact, he's fallen victim to them. This is not a "good man."

Darth Subjekt
well yeah, as his ultimate demise....thusfar he's done a good job. Now if there were no "Police" to report to, and me and my friends tortured and killed your mother, the most important person in your life, what would you do? (im assuming that you love your mom....some people dont) If there was no way you would be in trouble for it, wouldnt you kill them too? I would..not for my mom, but my wife or son definitly. You see, OB1 is too "by the book", whereas Qui Gonn would allow Anakin to feel emotion, and encourage him to use and feel them, but also show him restraint, and how to react to how you feel. Thats why i think its OB1's fault. Now i know that as a man you have to responsible for your own actions, but he's been taught that emotions or feelings are bad and not to be used. I think he is a good man until he kills Mace. Which the whole thing with that, is someone much older and wiser to the ways of the "real" world and how to manipulate peoples feelings. Had he been taught how to deal with emotions, that probably wouldnt have happened. If Qui Gonn trained him, he may not have been around Palps as much, therefore not being as influenced by him.

Flying Ferret
I'm not talking about "after his turn" here. I'm talking about the Anakin prior to that. Where is the "good man" where is the man that ANH-Obi-Wan looks so nostalgic and in deep thought over, remembering? Point out scenes, please!

Prozak
When i watched the original film as a kid, so many years ago, i remember getting goosebumps when Obi-Wan first tells luke of the force being an energy field that "surrounds us, penetrates us and binds the galaxy together". When i first saw TPM and i heard that midiclorian crap i immediately thought of that scene and how future generations who watch these movies in order won't get that anymore because it's been clinically explained in the new films. That saddens me more than you can imagine.

The same goes for the scene is ESB when Vader reveals he's Lukes father. Perhaps you had to be there but that was such a powerful moment; a moment thats now worth nothing. Granted you couldn't make the prequels without spoiling the surprise but then maybe that was why the OT garnered such a following; the fact that Episodes I-III didn't exist, they were legend if you like, and you could imagine your own back history. I certainly feel thats what made the OT such an endearing trilogy.

Now though, when you look at the PT, there's nothing left to imagine for yourself, it's almost sterile and devoid of anything that could possibly inspire you to fantasise about. I don't see any of the formula that made the series a success way back in '77. there's no mysticism, no witty dialogue and no likable characters. All i see are bright colours, lightsabres and the occasional recognisable reference to the OT.

MornGlory
who ever started this thread-- this is the first time I have seen it

and yes it sucked -DUH!- except for the fight scene at the end - Liam Neisson(sp?) and Ewan McGregor were good actors -

Darth Maul was cheesy and gay!

sorry I rarely say "duh!" but this thread deserved it

kalsolar
what you say prozak is quite true. The fact that the back story was left to our imaginations in the original trilogy, made the whole saga so much more mystical and intriguing. Future generations who watch the entire saga from start to finish will not have that powerful surprise moment in ESB where Darth Vadar reveals that he's Lukes father. Or the moment that Luke also descovers that princess leia is his sister. From a stpry telling point of view, the six episodes don't really work together in true story telling fashion due to plot point disclosures like these which weren't designed to be revealed until the episodes where they make the most impact on the viewer. Darth Vader has also been completely de-mystified by the prequels.

its a bitter sweet thing really, in a way we all wanted to see the back story told, but it was never going to compete with how our individual imaginations had seen it to be.

cylob49
6 years on and i still cant figure if i actually like the prequels

Flying Ferret
Hard to believe it's gone on for six years now. I can remember sitting in a pre-prequels forum (this about '92) and we hashed out all of the angles the films should've met. They may have met some of the aspects of what the OOT set-up, but very poorly.

(Oh god, here they come again...)

Darth_Nefarus
Well, Obi-Wan's definition of "good might be as broad as his definition of "killed your father"
Sure Anakin has problems, but he's a Jedi, and despite Obi-Wan's slow pacing he's doing his best to make Obi-Wan satisfied.

Flying Ferret
"but he's a Jedi..."

Yeah, there was a guy in my town and "he's the sheriff," but that still didn't make him good (and he wasn't; he intimidated people and was a major jerk off, even though he never did anything criminal). And, I think Lucas's (not Obi-Wan's) interpretation of "good" is far, far too broad.

You know, Anakin could've been cocky. Nothing wrong with that. Han Solo was cocky, too, but he was still a good man, even when he was the one who shot Greedo first....

Darth_Nefarus
I only meant that Jedi are protectors of peace and justice. So I still believe Anakin to be a good person, at least he's fighting for what he believes.

Flying Ferret
I weep for you.

bateman
I think both episodes 1 and 2 are good in their own right. Most of the fans of the saga hold the original trilogy close to their hearts, and compare the films to these new ones. The actors are different, the characters are different, and the plot lines are different, but it all has a great tie in. It's all part of the "good vs. evil" story. I enjoyed episodes 1 and 2, and like everyone here, cannot wait till 3 comes out! That will end, as you all know, with Vader's emergence in a timeline shortly before episode 4. Then it will be like a big miniseries you'd see on tv, where you can watch the whole series in it's entirety. That's gonna be great!

amity75
I've just watched TPM for the first time in about 2 years and when it originally came out I was slightly disappointed, it just wasn't what I was expecting. HOWEVER, now all the hype has died down I can finally watch it for what it is - a movie, and it's a bloody brilliant movie. In fact it might actually be the best of all the Star Wars films. It's certainly better than AOTC. It has so many layers to it with a wonderfully underrated politically driven script and is there ANY other scene more dramatic in the whiole saga when the doors open to reveal Darth Maul? It can certainly rival the "I am your father" moment. I know I'm going to get loads of abuse from people for my views but I know I'm right.

Sith Master X
Amen! Thought I thought AOTC was better. stick out tongue

amity75
24 hours ago AOTC was my favourite SMX! But I was amazed at how much TPM has grown on me.

Sith Master X
Both are excellent movies. yes

amity75
thumb up

Sith Master X
I'm really ashamed to admit this, even after I've watched TPM about 1,000 times and it's been out for like 6 years, but I just noticed Leia's slave outfit in TPM. messed

fli_wheel
If you really want to know how to edit this movie, I'll tell you.

First you need a computer with a dvd drive, second you need to own the movie in question. If you own Episode I then you can legally make a copy, thus I advise you to search for a freeware program called DVD shrink. DVD shrink decreases the movie size, thus allowing it to fit on a standard 4.7 DVD-R,+R disk. DVD shrink will also remove all security protection on the copy, and it will create an iso file; thus allowing you to burn the copy easier.
Now with a DVD burner burn the copy onto a DVD disk.

Now if you have a video card w/TV input, you should connect up your DVD player and re-record the copy into an MPEG2 format onto your hard drive.

Once in an MPEG2 format you can edit with Windows XP's Windows Moviemaker 2.

Publish your file to your hard drive and convert from the default format of WMV back to MPEG2 with a free version of STOIK file converter.

Burn this new MPEG2 movie onto a disk with NERO and you're all set.

All together this will take you about 8 or 9 hours.

Another option is to just use a freeware version of DVDx when saving a copy of the movie onto your hard drive. But the DVDx freeware is confusing and it will take about 24hours to save the movie to your hard drive.

Then you will spend another 6 hours converting it into a movie maker readable file, thus I suggest you use DVD shrink.

Hope this helps.

Ironman
episode one was the best movie ever it had darth maul DARTH MAUL what tthe hell is wrong with you

Mace Skywalker
It is a great movie. really good i think.

Mr Parker
actually Darth Maul and jar jar binks were the two WORST things about that movie and why it mainly sucked. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Mr Parker
again thats WHY that movie was so horrible.Maul was a stupid looking villian.Not at all believeable looking like Darth Vader was. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Napalm
Jar Jar Binks should be murdered with an axe

amity75
I actually liked Jar Jar. At the time people moaned about the lack of characters in TPM but Jar Jar was fantastic as too was Watto. In fact, for a movie which has been criticised for being "too childish" it is perhaps the most mature star wars movie to date. I defy anyone under the age of 14 to fully understand the complexities of the storyline.

Sith Master X
Yeah that's true. TPM's plot is a bit more complex then all the others. I'm sure little kids don't understand politics and all, and there's alot of that in TPM.

JKozzy
Watto was cool. Jar-Jar was not. Maul was. Destroyer droids were. Podracing wasn't. It was a nice test on the home theater system, but that's about it.

Sith Master X
Yeah, Watto wasn't bad.

baracustastic
I thought Ep I was a good film. The sabre fights were brilliant, the music was wonderful. Jar Jar aint that bad. Quite like the pod-racing. Good plot, good film.

And for someone to say that Vader is realistic but Maul isn't.......... What the f**k?

Sith Master X
Good point.

jedimaster2000
IMO Episode 1 wasn't as good as the OT movies but I still thought it wasn't too bad for the start of another Star Wars Trilogy. The Podracing and the Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon vs. Darth Maul duel were both awesome.

JKozzy
Podracing could've been spoken about, not seen.

lucasfilm
NO! IT WAS BAD..... the podrace seen was super and all but not for a SW movie, it woulc have been kinda cool as a spinoff though.. and yes.. i do beleieve we ALL agree that this was the worst of the SW saga

kthanks

Heather 29
I liked Star Wars Episode I Better Then Episode II
The reason Why I didn't like episode II was The whol thing with annican
With Sennitor Amidala on the couch by the Fire Place thing.
he had to much of a school-Boy crush

Bardock42
yes this is true, and he is a stupid piece of shit, don'T forget aboot that.

Slytherin Girl
The film was cool!
but there are two things that i don't like from it:

- Jar Jar (too silly)
- The "midiclorian" stuff (it destroys the mysticism of the Force)

Uber_God
it tells you how the force works. some people wanted the explanation.
and jar jar was an awsome character. bit of a goober but still good

Padmé Amidala
Episode I is a great film, the problem was that in the years between Return of the Jedi and Episode I, people came up with their own ideas of what THEY thought it should be like-- and were therefore disappointed. Its not my favourite Star Wars film, but it is still a great one

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.