Vader voice discussion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cal31
The debate on who is doing Vader's voice in Ep III is getting to be to long in the Trailer thread so just post all topics about Vader's voice here. I think JEJ is doing or has recorded the lines, but because of the spoilers he said in this interview:http://download.theforce.net/vaderspeech/jej-sw.mp3
I think George is just leaving whether or not he is doing the voice not answered to try and put down the spoilers and make them look not true since JEJ wouldn't know what happens if he didn't do the voice.

Stunrun
Finally! a decent new thread i can have the pleasure to post onbig grin

I think JEJ studied Hayden Christensen's voice, and ultimately made Vader sound younger

IMHOwink

revolution_man
i think it was a voice talent doing james earl jones. jej hasnt done his voice work so they got a talent to fill in but later jej's voice will be put in. personally, i dont care who does the vader voice...as long as it sounds like the vader im used to, im cool with it...

Stunrun
Ya never know, he just might sound different in the Trailer, because if ya can remember, JEJ must of done the extra dialogue in "The Emperors Message" scene, where he says "How is that possible?" -ESB DVD version. The vader sounds very original in that scenewink

MOTHERBOX
James and Hayden mixed together wait and see.

revolution_man
good call...maybe while jej was there, he recorded EpIII stuff

Stunrun
And to add on that earlier note, if JEJ was called back for the DVD version, then he must be doing the voice in ROTSwink would be a crime if he didnt

NoFate007
I have a feeling that that was JEJ doing a little voice acting, and if not, that that isn't the voice that we're gonna hear in the final print. I read somewhere that he hasn't done his dialogue yet, so it could be true that that was just a voice talent like previously said. It did seem a bit odd to me, glad I'm not insane, but even if thats what we get, I still like it.

Actually...after listening to it again...I think it is JEJ, and he's just reading the line like that cause, basically that is Anakin's first line after waking up after falling in freakin lava and stuff lol. You'd think he was a bit disoriented eh?

MOTHERBOX
No couse I think Vader is the one making the table rise the Emp tells him to rise and the table does, So he has all his barings by then.

jedijunky1138
The only thing that I could find different in his voice is when he said the word MASTER. He put more emphasis on the ER part. If you watch ATOC, when Anakin is speaking to Obi-Wan and calls him master he says the word with the same accent inflection.

jedijunky1138
I think JEJ did that on purpose.

kremzike
I also think it is JEJ and he's speaking 1. more like Hayden and 2. like he just woke up from a body altering cyborg transformation... which Vader did right there. Aside from the hard ER at the end of "master", it totally sounds like his voice.

Stunrun
Youve read my mindbig grin was thinking the exact same thingwink p.s - also posted it toobig grin

lucasfilm
exactly, ive watched the trailer about twenty times now and every time i hear it, i kinda cringe a little

Darth Subjekt
well if you go to sw.com GL has JEJ in the credits and has for some time now. i really dont see the point of going back and forth. Its obviously JEJ's voice, Hayden doesnt have a old black man's voice. And besides, GL wouldnt do something that stupid as to not have the original voice on there, thats sacreligous! The only difference i heard was he overly pronounced his "r" when he said "master"....what do you think?

Darth Subjekt
sorry i didnt see that thing about "master" before, sorry for the re-type

MOTHERBOX
I think I hear some sampling in there James mixed with Hayden.

Sith Master X
That's a good point.

Darth Subjekt
theres a difference in time between voices. its ok to have him sound like an ols black guy first and thn hear the young white kid, but if you hear HC talking then all of a sudden hear him speaking like that, you be curious about it. so i think its just him trying to get used to talking in his new "outfit", and as far as the "r" goes, Paply doesnt use R's that much, and when youre around someone so much, you pick up their speech habits...hence accents.

NoFate007
But remember, at one point he wasn't gonna have the original mask and armor, he was stupid enough to think that at first, right? And he's stupid enough not to have a mechanical Vader fight sequence in there...we don't know how stupid Lucas is capable of getting lol

Sith Master X
There's really no need for a mechanical Vader fight sequence. Sorry, but there are already 5 other lightsaber duels in the movie. As far as I'm concerned, Anakin Vs. Obi-Wan is the Vader fight sequence. He'll already be evil, and he'll be Lord Vader, just not behind the mask yet. wink

Darth Subjekt
well as much as ppl want to see a mech vader fight, GL MAY and i say MAY want to keep it a secret. i heard in several places that theres a big surprise at the end....maybe that type of fight or slaughter, is it.

Sith Master X
Possibly...doubtful, but that's a possibility.

My predicition is that the surprise will have something to do with the OT somehow.

Darth Subjekt
we can only hope, right?

Sith Master X
True that. wink

NoFate007
I doubt the surprise will be a mechanical Vader fight, but I hope it is. I think the surprise is gonna be something stupid, like, Thrawn will show up or something gay like that that nobody cares about.

darktim1
The voice seemed alot louder and clearer when he spoke.

:.Space Opera.:
thats true

Gangularis
i think it's def james earl jones. and i wouldn't doubt at all that he'd try and make it sound slightly like hayden. he's a professional, a real smart guy, and knows what he's doing.

Darth Subjekt
i totally agree.....remember lucas has Skywalker sound and im sure they can tweak pitch and stuff like that....but even still, they cant make hayden sound like JEJ, there would be no point anyway, why go thru all that when you can just call up the original guy and say "hey come say a few lines for me, and ill give you a couple mil." know what Im sayin?

Jodo kast
I did n't like his voice.

Ripe
as you can see, JEJ has done absolutely NO voice recording for Vader in ep3 as of yet. That was NOT his voice in the trailer.

http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/tfn.cgi?storyID=25087

Nor his his voice listed in the ep3 credits whereas his name is listed in the original trilogy credits.

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/castcrew.html

fudge
vaders voice sounds funny

Ward.exe
When I first watched the trailer I noticed it was more clearer, and at the end of master, there's a slight trace of youth.

Also, I know what the suprise is going to be (not for sure, but it's kinda obvious) but i'm not going to spoil it.

Gangularis
well maybe i was wrong then. or maybe he recorded it since that date.
either way i think it sounds just right for the scene, and for the fact that this is vader 20 years before a new hope vader.

cal31
wow, so you're going to trust an off handed comment he made to some random guy instead of listening to an actual interview with him where he says he recorded his part. roll eyes (sarcastic)

tpaquin
Yeah...

After reading that, I was unsure, but that is definetely his voice on the trailer.

My theory: JEJ is a lying bastard. Just kidding. I love him dearly. Probably just sworn to secrecy, or perhaps the vader lines were very quickly recorded in the same time as the ESB ones, since there are so few, and Jones expected more.

Hey, what would have happened in Orson Welles had played the original Darth Vader? Would they manipulate Hayden's voice for this? I guess it doesn't really matter.

waynerobsonuk
Interesting question. my bet would be if Orson Wells had been the voice we wouldn't have heard vader speak in this film . Or the vader voice would have been different and so would the suit to explain this. I suppose they did a similar thing in the matrix 3 when the actress who played the original oracle died.

Wayne...

Darth_Decimator
whatever they did it sounded awesome , it literally gave me chills & i also agree with sith master X theres no need for a mechanical vader fight scene it wouldnt fit into the end of the film at all and if it was crammed in it would drag the movie down and make it suck , theres no need & anywayz episode III will be the best SW movie of all time , this is the film we have been waiting for and im 100% confident it will not dissapoint , although im sure there will be more than a few people who will dissagree , sorry if this got a bit off topic

cornponious
Alright, I think I know what it is about Vader's voice in the teaser that's bugging me so much.

In the OT, James Earl Jones spoke with a British accent when doing Vader's voice. In the teaser, Vader speaks with a purely American accent (no accent at all). My guess is that it isn't Jones voice at all, but rather Hayden's voice digitally manipulated to sound like Vader. Or maybe it's some unknown guys voice. I don't think this is the final audio cut that will be in the film. At least I hope it isn't. It just doesn't sound like the Vader we all know and love.

corn

cornponious
Ok, go here:

http://www.milkandcookies.com/links/6380/

Pull up your ROTS trailer, and forward it to :59 seconds. Play the "yes master" audio over and over so that you've got it in your head. Then go to the website above (it's a Darth Vader soundboard) and click on the "Yes my Master" soundclip on the page and listen carefully to it.

I just don't think they sound quite the same. What do you guys think?

corn

Stunrun
your right, they dont

pr1983
they dont, but it could be down to the fact that jones is getting older, maybe his voice has shifted a little.

Cipher
ITs bad enough Lucas didn't get someone big enough to wear the Vader costume, now he'll have a different voice? Please, George, just do it the right way and then leave Star Wars alone......

cornponious
You know, I'm glad you said that. In a way, I have to agree with you.

cornponious

Darth Subjekt
JEJ WILL DO AND IS THE VOICE FOR DARTH VADER!

cornponious
OK, SO HOW CAN YOU BE SURE HE DID IT FOR THIS EARLY TEASER TRAILER?

AND BY THE WAY, DON'T TYPE IN ALL CAPS.

CORNLOUDIOUS

Darth Subjekt
How can you be sure that he didnt? it could be from a previous recording and then they just emphasized the "r".

Xam
i think its hayden speaking you can see its not james voice at the end of the "master" word

NateDawgNT
i still think its JEJ trying to sound like Anakin - the voice manip is too close to JEJ to be a manip, oplus if they wanted they could have had Hayden say masta all OT styyle - i think its JEJ and they did it on purpose

NoFate007
I still go with my gut, that the line is read that way from whoever said it because Vader is disoriented. If you listen to the soundboard and compare it to the trailer, they do have the same emphasis, but the tone is changed. The trailer's sounds as if he's dead tired, and I think that's because Anakin was a fraction away from death and now he's saying his first lines with a new body while waking up out of a coma and all that.

cornponious
Why, in the name of all things that are Holy, would they do that?

Take an old recording, and emphasize the "r"? Why? Why? Why?

corn

Sith Master X
My thoughts exactly.

Darth Subjekt
corn are you kidding me? why would they do ANYTHING OTHER than have JEJ do it? he's even in the cast on THIS site. Doing something to vader that is completly different that would piss off fans is not something that GL would do. Why would he take the chance of ruining the most anticipated and potentially best Sw film ever? trust...its JEJ, as it will be at all other times in the movie.

BNCap
Remember, ANH takes place twenty years later.

Anakin has an American/Canadian accent. Just because he falls in lava doesn't mean that he will suddenly speak with a British accent. If he eventually does, it is only because he is surrounded by British Imperial officers for 20 years and probably pics it up.

Assuming that it is JEJ speaking, he sounds exactly as he should. I also agree that he may sound a little exasperated because he just fell in lava and almost died and awoke half man half machine. What do you think?

Darth Ravenous
i think the voice is perfect sounds more anakinish smokin'

Bartman99

tpaquin
Sounds pretty british to me.

"Yes, Mohster."

The only real difference I'm hearing between that one and the one on Milkandcookies.com is that the one there is sorta...tinny, like much of the OT sounds, also, Vaders "r" sound is different. I still think it's Jones.

pr1983
maybe lucas to told jones to emphasize the r, maybe its that simple.

Darth Subjekt
thats what i said before,....and then he just picks up the accent from being around Palps for so long.

MOTHERBOX
He is 20 years younger you know. roll eyes (sarcastic)

hunchy
People on here sure aren't the brightest. Why the hell wouldn't George Lucas use James Earl Jones for the voice after everything!? Plus he's said in interviews that he's going to use him...they are using him....It isn't Anakin's voice...well in a sense...but it wouldn't change because he's younger or older...its the same mask, and suit...its the same Darth Vader voice....get over it.

jedijunky1138
I went to the site that Corn suggested and I definitely heard the same inflection on the "er" part of the word master as in the trailer. Just not as long. I think it is JEJ.

hunchy
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000469

Go there. It is the world's biggest movie database...with every single movie ever made...practically...with tons of information and it states James Earl Jones as the voice of Darth Vader (scroll down a little and its under the movies he's worked/working on), so I think that ends this discussion. And JediJunky, I love your picture with the "owned" over it...PVS deserves that one!

Crow_T_Robot
IMDB is not the most accurate source for info on movies that aren't out yet. That said I definitely think James Earl Jones will be in it.

hunchy
IMDB is a very good source. Maybe not for before movies are out, but it proves that James Earl Jones is in fact working on the voice worker...it has him under Darth Vader's voice. And come on, isn't it freakin obvious that they would use him? Just wait and find out. You'll find out that I'm as well as some others are right.

pr1983
sorry embarrasment

Crow_T_Robot
I'm not saying JEJ won't be in it but in this case IMDB proves nothing. They get their info for movies that aren't out from user submissions. Anyone could have told them he was in it and it would have been posted.

hunchy
Really? Oh ok...But like you said...its James Earl Jones doing the voice.

"ITs bad enough Lucas didn't get someone big enough to wear the Vader costume, now he'll have a different voice? Please, George, just do it the right way and then leave Star Wars alone...... "

That would not make ANY sense...why would Anakin suddenly get BIGGER after putting on the costume...in the words of Motherbox...

"He is 20 years younger you know."

And like I said, he wouldn't get bigger after putting on the suit...So having a bigger guy play him in the costume wouldn't make any sense...sorry...he could have bulked up more over time...and anyways, Hayden Christenesen did bulk up a LOT already for the movie...so stop nitpicking the small things...The costume is still relatively the same...with minor changes...but OH NO, the control thing on his chest isn't the same either! REMEMBER this is 20 years before Episode 4. So let's chill.

Stunrun
I dont care if fricken Anthony Daniels is doing the voice!! as long as he sounds like the original Vader, then thats enough for mewink

Stunrun
ugh a gay Vader! doesnt bare thinking aboutbig grin

hunchy
Umm, I believe it would sound like the original vader, if the original voice actor was doing the work...don't contradict yourself. And I would care if Anthony Daniels did his voice...because that would sound nothing like it.

Stunrun
The Anthony thing btw?...........It was a joke roll eyes (sarcastic)

hunchy
Yeah, I know. wink

cornponious
So, on IMDB, does it say "And by the way, James Earl Jones did the voice of Vader in the first teaser for Revenge of the Sith."???

Jeez, just because JEJ is in the cast, it doesn't mean that he has already done all of his speaking parts. I've seen plenty of early teasers where there are some things that were changed by the time the movie came out.

corn

Gangularis
this is true.

if it's not JEJ's voice, i'd have to say they did a really friggin good job of makin it sound like it.

Darth_Duffy
with the technology lucasfilm has, its entirely possible that they got JEJ into the studio with hayden and did some type of voice merge between the two of them.
i cannot believe that they wont have used haydens voice for ep3 vader in some capacity

JC2004
Alot of previews sounds, music and dialouge etc are different to the finished product. In one of TPM trailers Queen Amidala doesnt have an accent, and sounds like Portmans normal voice. I think its safe to say that EP3 teaser didnt use JEJ to voice Vader. It was very similar but the pronunciation of "master" was completely different. I may be wrong.I'm sure that Lucas will call JEJ in to do the voice overs later or if they dont they will make sure it sounds as close to JEJ as they can get.

NoFate007
Does it matter what the trailer sounded like, honestly? We know Lucas won't do it without JEJ for the film itself, so we should stop worrying. The more pressing issue is whether or not Grievous will have a good enough voice.

Red Superfly
Yeah, Lucas gives us the fights we couldn't give a flying f**k about and denies us mech Vader doing damage.

What a jip.

NoFate007
I can see the fights happening, but I doubt we need to have a Kashyyk battle. Don't get me wrong, I think it'll be awesome on screen, and might be one of the coolest parts of the film, but it just seems to me like its unnecessary, seeing as we have a space battle that involves 2 duels, Mace and others vs Sidious and Anakin, Anakin vs Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan vs Grievous, Yoda vs Sidious, a speeder chase, Grievous and Obi-Wan chase, Obi-Wan vs Commander Cody, and all the separate Clone Wars battles that are gonna be quick but still.

Stunrun
"Bring it on! i prefer a straight fight."

Red Superfly
This just leads me to believe Lucas has no organisational skills whatsoever.

EVerything ROTS could have been made into a trilogy. Screw Episodes 1 and 2, he could have just made Episode 3 into 3 movies. There's plenty of materila to go around. We could still have Vader kicking arse, Jedi kicking arse, and more time for actual story.

The sheer vastness of STUFF thats in ROTS just makes me angry over the time wasting in Episode 1. The war was a dummy war, the battles could have been cut and nobody would care. The only things of worth were the pod race and the final battle.

The OT was consistent. Evenly spaced out timeline. Bit of action here, some story there, all cut together with mastery and it all FLOWS perfectly.

The PT, on the other hand, jumps around all over the place. Episode 1 has boring time wasting bits (Most of the tatooine crap) and Episode 2 did too (Anakin and Padme "romancing"wink. And now in ROTS it's action action action action. It judders, sputters, comes to a complete halt, gets going again, stalls, has to be given mouth-tomouth when Yoda starts fighting, and then finally get's off the starting grid at Episode 3 going "oh crap oh crap" and throws everything it can at us in an attempt to make up for it's previous failure.

Oh well, we can just look forward to Episode 3, which is looking like movie we were hoping Episode 1 was gonna be in terms of delievrring expectations.

And there's nothing wrong with Vader's voice, thank God.

Stunrun
um.........good pointwink

Red Leader
I agree. It is a good point

Stunrun
Hey Red Leaderwink i tried to search for scramba's original link to BTH 56, but its down, so ur best bet is to PM him for it, but i gotta say it the worst BTH ever IMHOsad

Red Leader
Thanks Stunrun.

isxia
rigghhhhhtttttt

maul1
Ummm all the episodes are pretty consistant, there is action at the begining, story development, action in the middle, story development, action at the end. I assume that ep III would be the same format.
We had to see epI to understand how palps comes into power.
epII they have to show the romance otherwise it would be stupid when they get married and have the twins, it tends to be only 2 minute clips of the romance and then you are right back into the story.

Red Superfly
You just don't get the point. You don't understand why it fails as a narrative. Ep1 was not needed at all.

As far as story goes - the romance never truly kicked off until Ep2 anyway, Ep1 could be deleted and it would have no effect on the matter.

Same goes for Palpatines claim of power. He was a Senator in Episode 1, but we didn't need to see him BECOME one. Same goes for Episode 2, we didn't need to see him become Chancellor.

And you cannot say the plot is consistent. What are you smoking?

NateDawgNT
u needed Episode 1 also to show ObiWan as young and reckless, and understand why he isnt able to teach anakin

tpaquin
You don't really need teh prequels at all. They exist only as setup for teh OT, which could have been handeled beautifully by EU.

Darth Subjekt
it also shows how anakin wasonce the epitimy(is that hoe you spell that?lol) of goodness, and how something as wonderful as the connection between him and his mom, could start him down the dark path. All about situation manipulation. In contrast to how Han Solo is a dirty, lying, theif, and everything else....but he turns out to be quite a help to a good cause.

cornponious
This thread has effectively been fu><0r3d.

Good job.

corn

Stunrun
LOL how did this thread go from Vader's voice discussion to the PT!? confused

Darth Subjekt
well you get caught up in the moment and talk about whats being said....sorry........

Stunrun
Well i was pretty much apart of the problem lol. I went of subject briefly with Red Leaderstick out tongue

Darth Subjekt
it happens man, no biggie....we all do it at some point......but uh.....yea...vaders voice is cool...... big grin

Darth_Decimator
i agree the new voice is awesome , different yes but definetly in a good way

Red Superfly
He's not reckless though. Watch the movie.

forumcrew
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000469/

james earl jones IS listed as darth vader for episode 3 so those of you who say he isnt involved he IS

tpaquin
IMDB also lists the director as George Lucas...so, they speculate and fail to change lots of suff.

cornponious
George Lucas IS the director of Episode III.

corn

:.Space Opera.:
yes

forumcrew
you were saying....

Samurai Guy
If James doesnt do the voice... I will shit myself.

Stunrun
ok im posting to get these good threads back to the top, we cant let stupid threads take everything up

mossman
Spoileriffic at MF.C has confirmed that:

A) Hayden does the voice in the trailer.
B) It is taken from earlier in the movie.
C) It has been digitally altered specifically for the trailer, to make it match up with the imagery - the line is not spoken as "mechanical Vader" in the movie.

You may not like the idea of LFL duping us like that, but it does leave the door open for JEJ now.

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Here are the quotes from Spoileriffic:

"It IS Hayden in the trailer.

The dialogue in the teaser is lifted from a different part of the movie, where Anakin is not in the Vader suit. Obviously, it wouldn't make much sense to have Hayden's voice and then armored Vader appear, so they tweaked Hayden's line to make it sound as Vader-ish as possible."

and

"I have seen the scene it is from. The dialogue used in the trailer is from the scene where Anakain is re-named Darth Vader. In the context of the actual scene, Sidious telling Vader to 'rise' is asking him to stand up from on bended knee, bowing before his new master.

In any case, I assure you, come May 19th you will hear Hayden speak the very line in question. And I'm sure JEJ will be the voice of Vader in the end of the film."

jedijunky1138
Thanks for clearing that up and thanks for putting this in the right thread and not starting a new one. Good job.

darthbrowneye
cool!!!! big grin

cal31
Let's hope that's true.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.