Mean Creek

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shaolin Monk
I saw the trailer for this back in August, and was looking forward to it greatly. I watched it over the weekend, and was happy to see some surprisingly well acting by the youngsters. Macaulay Culkin's younger brother Rory plays the main character, Sam. Sam is bullied by a pleasently plump boy named George, who is infamous for pushing people around. Sam's older brother and his friends decide it's time for payback on George. They invite him on a boat trip, but they have much more than just a float down the river planned...

It has a very simple plot, but the use of younger characters, opposed to late teens, makes the story that much better. If you've read the Harry Potter books, you know JK loves to use the "make the choice that is easy, or the choice that is right" theme. Well this movie displays that well, and also teaches young ones the consquences for seemingly harmless acts.

Anyone else see it?

Cinemaddiction
Bumping, as the DVD release was this Tuesday and I wanted some KMC user feedback, if anyone has seen it?

botankus
I saw it last night, and I would like to officially re-name it, River's Edge, Jr.

If River's Edge never existed, it would have meant more to me. I still liked watching it, though.

Cinemaddiction
I never saw "River's Edge", personally, but "Mean Creek" was unfulfilling. It literally took an entire hour before getting to the plot, then the last 30 minutes were just kids in panic mode, with absolutely no resolution. Kind of sloopy, if you ask me.

botankus
I agree, and let me add that it was one of the most predictable movies I've seen in a while. And the fact that it was virtually modeled after River's Edge increased the predictability 10-fold.

The reason I said I liked watching it, though, was because I kind of dig movies that go along those lines, whether they're good or not.

Cinemaddiction
I don't know if it was the gaggle of young actors, but "Stand By Me" came to mind a good bit, too.

Darth_Big_Boy
Still haven't seen this. I think I may grab it tomorrow if there's nothing else that catches my interest.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.