Review: National Treasure

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cinemaddiction
To new generation relic hunter, Ben Gates (Cage), the only thing more valuable to him than treasure, was erasing his families legacy of failure. He and his partner Ian (Bean) come to the realization that in order to find this lost bounty, they need a map. That map? The Declaration of Independence. Like any heist, when the stakes are raised, it becomes every man for himself. The hunt is on.

Upon leaving the theater, I said "This is what Tomb Raider" should have been like. It was exciting, humorous, very fast paced heist filled fun. No high flying wire work, bad accents, or killer robots. Nic Cage was cunning in his portrayal of a rare character in heist movies. One that isn't looking to benefit from the treasure, but for from rewriting his family's history, with admirable, yet backhanded patriotism. Justin Bartha as Riley played the Disney family friendly comic relief, Diane Kruger was cast as the female equivalent of Gates, except a lot more attractive, all while Sean Bean brought a shady, Boromir-esque presence to the role of Ian.

It was refreshing to see a big job movie that didn't contain the heist movie cliches. Gunplay was minimal, and money wasn't even a motivator. Talk about a rarity in the genre! A truly unique, effective, and involving storyline with a pinch of patriotism and redemption. "National Treasure" is indeed a treasure in its own right, and it's swift 2 hours well spent, IMO.

darktim1
yep can't wait to see the film I know it is about templer nights I also heard that they took the arc of the covenant from the temple mount in jerusalem.The movie looks exciting and nicholas cage always plays good roles so I think everyone should see this film.

BlackC@t
Looks like one to go see then smile

Jedi Priestess
I agree 100% Cinemaddiction! thumbsup

Samurai Guy
I heard it was very similar to the book "Da Vinci Code;" Ebert.

Is it worth seeing in theatres or should I wait for the DVD?

Cinemaddiction
Uh..it has absolutely nothing to do with religion, so no.

MildPossession
I am looking forwards to it, but about the accent thing, if you directed that at Jolie in Tomb Raider, her accent was pretty good. I'm English and I know people who sound like she does in TR.

Just pointing out. smile

Kella
I saw National Treasure with my mom, my aunt, and my grandmother...all different generations of my family and every one of us loved this movie! It was awesome! I highly recommend it. Never listen to the movie critics...usually the more they dislike a movie the better it actually is.
My grandma pointed out that there was no gore or sex and there was very little violence and she really liked that about this movie...she also liked that there really was no foul language either...just a couple of slips of the tongue...but she loved that about the movie and it's a movie that makes your mind work and keeps you trying to figure out the clues and overall it was certainly not a waste of the $100 between tickets and snacks that we spent Friday night. big grin

Walfredo
I have heard a lot of positive reviews from people and $35 million is pretty impressive. I am going to try and go sneak out to it tonight...

scott hiwersh
I saw it and liked it. People enjoy a good action movie, that is just the way it is...

Lianslo
I really enjoyed this movie. There were a few cheesy parts, but over all it was very good. I think people like it because its something very different then most other movies today, its refreshing. But I also think the movie wouldn't have been nearly as good without Riley. I found his character to be hilarious. I would definately recommend seeing this!

Walfredo
How is it for littler kids. I mean i know it is PG, but is it something that everyone will enjoy cause I think I might wit and go see it with the fam this weekend. Gotta think of something to do...:-)

scott hiwersh
Great for kids, they might need a little explanation if they do not already know the history of the USA. It is full of action, and very wholesome. Even the bad guys are not too scary. Great family film, IMO...

ragesRemorse
Good movie. It was a nice mixture of a heist and adventure film. This mixture isnt attempted that much, and i dont know why. Maybe because most studios dont have Nick cage to fall back on, if their script fails. This flick was about %20 heist, %40 adventure, %30 acting and %10 dialogue. What i was pleased with most about this movie, was that it diddnt try and be a bigger and better product in it's genre. It created substance around a decent idea, rather than trying to create substance from a decent idea. Much like Oceans 11, This film knew what it wanted to do, and diddnt care if it was equal to the standards of other films in it's genre. i'd give it a 7/10 for being a fun ride.

Jedi Priestess
Mine loved it smile

Walfredo
Awesome....ragesRemorse - that might be one of the best to-the-point reviews of a movie I have ever read. Thanx... I am even more excited to see this movie now. Thats exactly how I felt the movie should be (or at least was going to be) and I am glad that you described it like that. I just want something fun, that is aimed at being fun. Seems like a success....

forumcrew
there was a little girl next to me and she seemed to really enjoy it.. its a fun movie to go to.. obviously a bit sily in parts but the story was pretty cool riley had his funny moments and diane kruger is beautifull, sean bean, jon voight, and nick cage do a good job as always too so overall definantly worth going to see

Mane
I didn't think it looked good, but if Cory and JP liked it, I probably will too.

MornGlory
how many of these threads are there

especially for a crappy movie..

Cinemaddiction
Well, the trailer makes it look a lot more bland than it really is. It's "topical", and has that "Indiana Jones" feel to it, when it's totally different.

I recommend it, especially over "The Polar Depress".

silver_tears
I agree, after seeing the trailer I'm not all that interested in seeing the movie. erm
Not to mention I dislike Cage laughing out loud

Cinemaddiction
You've seen it then?

cal31
You know, I hate all these critics that are dissing National Treasure because the story is unbelievable. Well that means Indiana Jones is a horrible movie because that certaintly could never happen, but oh wait, the same critics that say National Treasure is horrible because of its story said that Indiana Jones is a great trilogy with basically the same content. Enjoy a movie for once, because you know what, that is what they are for. If we wanted real life stories that actually happened, we'd watch the news for 3 hrs a day and tape them so we can watch them over and over again. Once again I'm reminded of how much I hate movie critics.

silver_tears
That could be said of any movie that recieves such reviews, why watch movies if you can't enjoy yourself? There's no logic in that.....

And I'm with you I despise movie critics, specially the over the hill white men conservatives, who wouldn't know a good movie if it bit them on the ass.

*DON_KEY*
This movie was kick ass.....yes

BOPRecruit 16
i saw the movie yesterday. it was okay. decent. but not as good as i thought it would be. the plot, moments, and the characters weren't as well developed and well rounded, as i would have hoped and expected. the clues and figuring them out was cool. but some of it could've been done a little better. although, it was pretty cool how smart cage's character was and how he was quick witted enough to throw people off his trail at times, although he sucked at bluffing like bean's character mentioned when they played poker.

Mandorallen
I saw it as well, i thought it was spectacular, it literally kept me on the edge of my seat. adrenaline pumping.

*DON_KEY*
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he/she said......

MornGlory
hasnt this thread died yet?

*DON_KEY*
death Yep

ragesRemorse
I agree with you about the critics, but then again there critics.

I cant stand how people are comparing this film to Indiana jones. I know it was just spun that way to bring people in the theaters, but this is by no means any where near being close to Indiana jones standards. Yeah it was a neat little treat, but i can see how people would not like this movie at all. Everyone should stop comparing this movie to Indiana jones entirely. These two films have nothing in common, except that National treasure is somewhat an adventure movie. I read one review that said national treasure is a more fluent Indiana jones. This person obviously knows nothing about movies and has the taste of an African bushman.

Cinemaddiction
Apparently not if people are still seeing the movie, still commenting on it, etc. Stay on topic.

Walfredo
I agree 100% with that. I thought National Treasure was good. The movie really is acceptable to anybody (kids or adults). Everyone liked it when I saw it, even the wee ones. And it ended being a lot funnier than I thought it was going to be. I mean The Rock and Matchstick Men were corky-cute in some ways but this one was actually legitamently funny at times. Did you guys think Diane Kruger looked better than in Troy?

cal31
I wasn't comparing them story wise, because they aren't anything alike in that way, I was just comparing them on their believability and if they could really happen, which they both are not very believable.

moonwalker741
well said cal, i like that...i'm gonna start saying that to my friends smile

but, i'm seeing this movie with my friends this saturday, my brother already saw it, he said it was really good...

cal31
All I know is that she looked fine in both cool

Walfredo
Touche cal31, on multiple fronts.

First, Yeah Diane Kruger. She is beautiful.

Second, you response above was well put. Unbelievablity is no reason to downgrade a movie unless it is TRYING to be believable, which I don't believe NT is trying to do. Watch the movie, have fun, its simple, so simple.

dj_belay
Yea, I saw this movie as well. It was pretty good, and had a reasonable amount of funny parts.

botankus
I should hope it would be better than a lame 100-minute advertisement for Angelina Jolie.

*DON_KEY*
It was a must see movie.......4/5....yes

rwoonacott

MornGlory
this movie looks so boring yawn

MC Mike
...not true?

What moments do you speak of?

I know loads of under 15-year-olds who have loved this movie...

Cinemaddiction
...and "Evil Dead", according to you is just another teen horror, so, based on the replies in this thread, and the money it's generating, you look to be wrong with your assumptions. Again.

Best thing to do is see for yourself.

BOPRecruit 16
i think i gave this movie about... 3 or 3.5 stars out of 5. it wasn't that good nor that bad.

forumcrew
its also number 1 3 weeks in a row now

Cinemaddiction
Talk about flying under the radar. That's great, maybe it'll push the DVD a little faster.

tabby999
Mornglory, stop bitching and see the freaking movie, shit, sneak in after seeing another movie, i dont care, dont whinge and complain if you havn't got reasoning to back the argument up.

its only just come out here, so i'm yet to see it, but i like the addition of the pyramid on the one dollar bill, i've always loved the conspiracy theorys attached to that

Scarpa
I cant wait to see it

*Mc Bum Nugget*
well go........

Mr Parker
I also agree 100%.I just saw this movie on christmas eve and it now tops Borne Supremacy and Cellular as my favorite movie of the year.

Mane
You think this movie is better than the Bourne Supremacy? huh

hysterical It was good, but not that good. wink

Mr Parker
Well said.I could not agree more. smile thumb up

Mr Parker
uh it was hardly a crappy movie. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Lord Soth
The movie was beyond excellent, it was engaging, had a great story, good actors (Justin Bartha got a little annoying), and action packed!

9.5/10

gibs_ie
some people seem to be getting a bit carried away with there movie of the year and all!! yes it was ok! ok was it, movies like this are meant to get the audience involved interact with them, by way usually of having them guess clues etc... this film didnt do that, it could have been alot shorter one of those films where u do notice the time im afraid but for the first while i was engaged, but then couldnt wait for the film to finish! gud dvd movie thats it!!!

teakwonjoe
...can you say strerched plot...good action, but no real good plot, and everytime cage went on one of his raves: it just got stupid, "this connects to this, which connects to this, blah, blah, blah..."

Cinemaddiction
The plot was finding the treasure trove of legendary relics, with a lot of historically pertainent clues along the way. It's not too hard to follow.... blink

ragesRemorse
This movie was god awful, why are we still talking about a peice of shit wasted film such as this. I have seriously lost a large amount of respect for nicholas cage for taking part in this travesty of a film. Am i the only person left on the planet that realizes Jerry bruckhiemer is nothing more than a the tricklings of blood running down the wall of an over exageratted shotgun suicide. This man has one vision, and anything he is affiliated with has to have the mark of his vision.

I could have downed a bottle of clorox cleaning fluids, shot heroin through both of my eye sockets, slit my wrists, shoved a molotov cocktail up my ass and swallow a flamming sword all the while making up a better story and dialogue for a movie that would be more entertaining and rewarding than national treasure.

1/10

Red Superfly
Maybe the DVD will include this edition?

http://ter.air0day.com/?script=nationaltreasure

laughing

ragesRemorse
Lol . red... thank you so much. That was the best movie i have ever been to. LOL Jerry brucheimer headbangin (american histroy rules)...LOL I cant believe he was one of the only guys that picked up on the amazing similarites of the dan brown "da vinci code" and national treasure. Bruckhiemer was bascially pleadgurising every aspect of his story, but in different context and with less thought provoking energy.

bruckhiemer... somthing hasnt blown up in a while...somthing blows the f.u.ck. up LOL thanks again red.

Cinemaddiction
Only correlation between the two are clues leading to culled treasure, which was in movies before "The Da Vinci" code was written. It's similar in premise, but that's about it. A driving factor of "The Da Vinci Code", being religious symbolism, was totally devoid in "National Treasure", also.

ragesRemorse
oh yeah, that and the entire illuminati vs the masons which just so happen to be affliated together. Ummm i guess maybe you missed the entire cult thing there trying to cover up hidden messages. Only instead of being religous the illuminati title was dropped for sake of conspiracies. A new title was chosen, "The masons" which in popular conspiracy theories and actual evidence are linked together , but were glorified as DAMN good americans hiding a treasure rather than a well... how do we say a sort of code.

Cinemaddiction
I'm not denying that there are similarities, but before any of you jump to conclusions, rent "The Name of the Rose", starring Sean Connery. It's the screen adaptation of Umberto Eco's book, and the source from which "The DaVinci Code" was more or less ripped off, and it shares more basic elements with "National Treasure" than the latter.

ladygrim
i wasnt sure with this movie at first i thought it was a bit wierd b ut then watched and changed my mind big grin ...it was flipping great

Fire
nice movie

johnnywooh
im going to see it next friday smile lookin forward to it, everyone i know who's seen it says it's great

ragesRemorse
NO its a piece crap

A4E
angelina jolie has a good british accent! cry!
and this movie sounds good!! Im so gonna see it!

ragesRemorse
What is the world comming to ? This movie is peice of Fu.cking SHIT. not one thing about this movie is good. NIck cage finds a boat that he is looking for on a hunch he digs two god damn feet untill he finds it. I mean Did the thought department take a break during this one? I am going to start shooting people in the eye who keep telling me that this movie is a good movie.

Cinemaddiction
People are going to have differing opinions, naturally. What do you care? You're come off as incredibly misanthropic on these boards with your approach to people who like movies that you don't, as well as the movies themselves.

Lighten up. You'll live longer.

ragesRemorse
But if i dont people will keep liking this crap that is being made, and even more crap will still keep getting made.

No really i could care less what you like, i am just venting on these boards as i am sure many people do. Well, actually it does bother me how people can enjoy white chiks and hate sighns. It is a conspiracy i tells you from the oreo company. I'll figure it out sooner or later.

Cinemaddiction
People have odd tastes, but even if you did change one persons opinion, that person would have had to been incredibly impressionable anyway, and their view isn't necessarily valid in that case, after all? smart

ragesRemorse
well, yes you have got me there. Though that would still be one more persons taste i have converted to brillance. No it takes all kinds to make this world go round. I love bad movies as much as the next guy. I just hate seeing grossely overated and over criticized movies bank millions, when they should have fallen into the nightmare at the video store.

Cinemaddiction
Eh, a lot of people confuse "overrated" for genuine hype, which you can't really confirm or deny the validity of unless you see the movie for yourself. General disposition to have distain for certain actors/movies isn't being an eyewitness, with which you can form a valid opinion.

"Overated" is as meaningless as a person's opinion is biased. It's all subjective.

Ou Be Low hoo
Very true, but if the media-hype is substantial and the majority of the public's opinion of a movie is that it is poor, then surely it can be considered 'overrated'...

Cinemaddiction
That's true, but then you have to be careful as to whom you side with, opinion wise. Not that I like critics, as they are only glorified movie fans with a more educated opinion.

I don't like the term "overrated", or speaking in generalities, but given those conditions, yeah, the movie is overrated.

Beastro
I do tend to listen to critics so ill check it out when it hits dvd racks.

TWelling4Ever
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
To new generation relic hunter, Ben Gates (Cage), the only thing more valuable to him than treasure, was erasing his families legacy of failure. He and his partner Ian (Bean) come to the realization that in order to find this lost bounty, they need a map. That map? The Declaration of Independence. Like any heist, when the stakes are raised, it becomes every man for himself. The hunt is on.

Upon leaving the theater, I said "This is what Tomb Raider" should have been like. It was exciting, humorous, very fast paced heist filled fun. No high flying wire work, bad accents, or killer robots. Nic Cage was cunning in his portrayal of a rare character in heist movies. One that isn't looking to benefit from the treasure, but for from rewriting his family's history, with admirable, yet backhanded patriotism. Justin Bartha as Riley played the Disney family friendly comic relief, Diane Kruger was cast as the female equivalent of Gates, except a lot more attractive, all while Sean Bean brought a shady, Boromir-esque presence to the role of Ian.

It was refreshing to see a big job movie that didn't contain the heist movie cliches. Gunplay was minimal, and money wasn't even a motivator. Talk about a rarity in the genre! A truly unique, effective, and involving storyline with a pinch of patriotism and redemption. "National Treasure" is indeed a treasure in its own right, and it's swift 2 hours well spent, IMO.

yeah i luved this movie, really interesting how they solved all that. to think what someone went through to think that up, it's just really amazing and very well done. wink

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by TWelling4Ever
yeah i luved this movie, really interesting how they solved all that. to think what someone went through to think that up, it's just really amazing and very well done. wink

Your joking right? I could come up with better dribble if i had a stake going through my head.

chez
Um, this is quite an about-face, RagesRemorse. This is what you posted earlier in this thread:

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Good movie. It was a nice mixture of a heist and adventure film. This mixture isnt attempted that much, and i dont know why. Maybe because most studios dont have Nick cage to fall back on, if their script fails. This flick was about %20 heist, %40 adventure, %30 acting and %10 dialogue. What i was pleased with most about this movie, was that it diddnt try and be a bigger and better product in it's genre. It created substance around a decent idea, rather than trying to create substance from a decent idea. Much like Oceans 11, This film knew what it wanted to do, and diddnt care if it was equal to the standards of other films in it's genre. i'd give it a 7/10 for being a fun ride.

So... what happened to make you suddenly hate NT so much?

fruits
i saw it the other day w/ my girlfriend, so u can assume i didnt see much of the movie, but from wat i saw, i thought it was a very cool movie

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by chez
Um, this is quite an about-face, RagesRemorse. This is what you posted earlier in this thread:

So... what happened to make you suddenly hate NT so much?

Watching it sober.

Ou Be Low hoo
Watching it sober.

AHA! I'm thinking of watching it tomorrow...I have slight wiggles of trepadation thanks to various poor reviews...I may adhere to your prescription of copious amounts of alcohol. Then again, I may just go for a walk in the mountains...

Darth_Big_Boy
I'm looking forward to catching this one on DVD.

chez
Watching it sober.

Good answer. stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.