What is special about Mustafar?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

schill142
We all know about the epic duel that takes place on Mustafar and the consequences thereafter. Im wondering what else is transpiring on Mustafar. We know it's full of lava, ore, and enough artificial structures to allow the duel to cover a large area; so one might conclude given these conditions, there is a good deal of mining and forge work being done on that planet.

Which leads me to my theory that Mustafar is providing a large amount of the raw materials necessary for the creation of the first Death Star.

When we watch the initial portion of the trailer we see several droids travesing the molton surface of the planet, could those be the same droids that "rescued' Anakin? Wouldn't there immediate presence indicate an Imperial presence?

What do you think?

bilbofett
Well, supposedly the Geonosians are riding those droids on Mustafar, which lends weight to your theory.... As GL says on the AOTC commentary during one Geonosian shot, 'these are the guys Kevin Smith was talking about being blown up on the Death Star as, independent contractors'.....So you may be correct......

GCG
Mustafaar = Smelting of iron for the construction of the DS . yes

Sith Master X
Mustafar will be the single best planet in the entire Saga.

Jedi Priestess
Im liking this theory yes

Sith Master X
Clerks, not my favorite. stick out tongue

bilbofett
That constitutes treason, Sith!!!!

Sith Master X
How? stick out tongue

Mortanius
Can't stand Clerks.

MagiK_11
I agree with your theory as well. It makes sense smile

darktim1
Yep it is where anakin dies and darth vader is born from the teaser trailer it looks like the planet is hotter than hell with all of those volcanoes.

Darth Subjekt
I think its kinda like the opposite of the rebels going to Hoth. Thats were the sepratists are hiding when Ani goes to kill them, so maybe they're thinking that the Jedi wouldnt go there looking for them, as it doesnt seem like a great place to live or start a real active community, just like the rebels went to Hoth cause they didnt think the Empire would go there, ya know? And maybe the mining theory is just like a secondary "plus" for the upcoming Empire. Like killing two birds with one lightsaber.

jedijunky1138
How do you know that those are Geonosians on the "Lava Fleas"? There is not enough detail to determine this. Where are you getting your info Bilbofett?

Mortanius
Although Anakin does becomes critically hurt on Mustafar, he is taken to Utapau (the same place Grievous was born) to be transformed into Vader.

darktim1
oh okay cool thanks for telling me that.

cornponious
I agree. There HAS to be something more to Mustafar. Something very significatn besides the catalyst for the creation of Darth Vader.

I have to say that I too believe this to be the planet where the death star is forged.

corn

.:Space Opera:.
you know what corn.....that would make alot of sense. wouldnt it be cool if a portion of THE duel was faught among the beginning stages of the death star! droolio

schill142
I have the idea that the last scene of the movie would be Obi Won walking into a duel sunset on Tantooine, and the second to last scene would be Vader and Palpatine aboard an Imperial Starship watching as a very basic "skeleton" of the Death Star was being constructed while orbiting Mustafar.

Sound good to anyone else?

schill142
And thank you to all of those who complimented my theory.

Jodo kast
I think they just chose that planet because nobody would search them there.

.:Space Opera:.
well it was the last terrain left for lucas.

waynerobsonuk
OK this is just a way out theory thats popped into my head and not fully formed...but here goes....
As someone said maybe the fight or part of it could be in the beginnings of the death star.... maybe parts of this would be prefabricated on the planet and flown up. So when you see obi and anakin fighting in the green screen clips we've seen on the walkway, maybe this is the same place they fight and obi dies in ep4.
As I said just a crazy idea, maybe someone can take it furthur.

Wayne...

schill142
I like that idea. I don't think it plausible, but it gives good meaning to when Vader says "now things have come full circle, now I am the master." Whereas before they where fighting in the same situation, same structure if you will, but Obi 1 was the master.

Stunrun
What is special about Mustifar?

What is special about this thread??

cornponious
Though we probably won't see this, I thought it would be uber-cool to see, in the background as OWK and Anakin fight, massive pieces of the death star being lifted up off the planet's surface into orbit.

Yeah, I think that would be pretty nice.

corn

schill142
Yes, that would be very cool. One would have to think that GL would use some sort of device like that to bridge episode III and IV

nigeyo2000
Isnt there a sith temple on mustafar ??

bilbofett
That would be cool but is it really plausible to think that it takes the Empire, now with infinite resources, twenty years to build the Death Star when it only takes 6 at most to finish the second one? Granted once you've done it the first time I can see where it is easier the second but still....thats a pretty big difference in completion time.

ctsketch
it took ages to get to the Jet Age of aircraft, but now we make them like candy, its very plausible

kremzike
Hmmmmm. How about this? Maybe the Geonosians who built the first Death Star aren't the most efficient workers in the galaxy? Or maybe there's not enough of them to complete the job any faster. Maybe Poggle The Lesser won't allow any outsiders to be brought in to help the Geonosians, wanting his people to take all the credit for the job. Moff Jerjerrod needed more men than he had in his estimation to complete the second Death Star as quickly as the Emperor wanted, seeing that he, "asks the impossible". Of course, the second Death Star was bigger so that kinda goes against that theory!

Ooh, here's another one. As far as the Geonosians were concerned, they were going to build the Death Star for the Seperatists. Dooku took the plans with him at the end of AOTC and gave them to Sidious to hold. What's to say he didn't retrieve them and have the Geonosians begin construction already? Before ROTS even starts? Then, when the Seperatists lose the Clone Wars, there could be some delay before The Emperor gets the Geonosians to continue construction, now building it for the Empire (formerly the Republic, enemies of the Geonosians) That's kind of interesting to think about.

There could be some more reasons construction took long, just as you stated, when building the first ever structure of this type. Problems with the original plans, difficulty getting the power core of the giant laser to run safely (and the possibility that the first tests destroyed a lot of the station and it had to be rebuilt). A ton of areas that EU stuff can touch upon and I won't read! Hmmmm, then again, the EU stuff has already touched on the first Death Star's construction. However, it is not canon and there are also ways to work around it without messing with is as well. Technically, the simple fact that the plans for the DS were in AOTC already debunks some of the EU background. So, to finally touch on the actual original topic of the thread, I think it's entirely possible for Mustafar to be utilized to forge the origins of the Death Star.

GCG
in a few words : i

t's easier and quicker to do things a second time. and actually if you follow EU starwars stuff they where still trying to engineer the weapon system and that's what held up the construction

bilbofett
Well, i was in the hospital when the trailer came out (just my luck!!!) and so my husband printed off a frame by frame summary of the trailer he found at TFN. Wouldn't be the first time the boys at TFN were wrong!!!

schill142
I agree with Kremzike concerning construction time.

Perhaps 50% of the construction time for the 1st Death Star would have been used to simply make the tools, dyes, and pattern molds needed for highly specialized construction of that sort. Once the Empire had identified and adopted both a system and a hard material base that suited their Death Star construction purpose, they could have quite easily kept that knowledge and even transfered it to other facilities.

While the second Death Star was bigger, it shouldn't have effected the construction time all that much. Simply put, if you have an assembly line, the time difference between creating 1000 I-beams, and 1250 I-beams wouldn't be drastic.

It is highly doubtful that the Empire would have maintained their "Death Star Making Facility" on Mustafar after the completion and subsequent destruction of the first Death Star. Rather, they would have in all likely hood transfered parts, machines, responsibilities to other contractors.

Tecnodimerda
I'd like to add a small idea to the mustafar - discussion. I often try to image what kind of meaning behind all SW's characters and scenarios is. To me Mustafar seems to be lucas' symbol (allegory) for hell. This may seem to be very obvious and vague. But considering the storyline around Anakin and Obi-Wan on Mustafar I'd say that it makes quite sense: First Anakin is IMO in a conflict of believe (regarding the light and dark side). Of Course he's already Sith but there's still hope that he might be turned to the light side again (thats what Padme's trying to do; and Obi-Wan also: "Obi-Wan once thought as you do..."wink. Anakin, full of anger, is fighting "himself" and everything he once believed in - the jedi, his master and his love.
On the other hand we have the duel as reason for Anakin's transformation from man to machine (more or less). Again it's symbolic for his downfall: losing his believe, his name (identity) and ultimately his body. For this change of his maincharacter Lucas has chosen Mustafar as scenario and IMO not only to let it serve a storyline-purpose.

Of course if you think that this is complete rubish let me hear your opinion big grin

Darth Subjekt
its possible, i mean he's had this idea for a long time, i remember "just knowing" that anakin got burnt in lava before they re-released the OT in theaters in 97. And i remember thinking that would sort of be like Anakin's personal hell, being as thats the place that made him as he is in the OT. I dont remember where i heard it at, cause i didnt read any books of SW back then, but i remember thats what i thought and even said to my boys when i heard about his little swan dive.

But again i thinkits also just a planet where Nute Gunnray and his group hide because they dont think the Jedi would look for them there, just like the rebels hide on Hoth cause they dont think the Empire would look for or find them there, given the plants extreme climate conditions....in both cases.

bilbofett
All good points guys. You all get an 'A' for effort in well thought out arguments....

GCG
Now one thing i keep moaning about is what was the need to make the second DS bigger and more powerful if the first one suited the need to blow up planets ?
was it really neccesary to make it bigger and more powerful ?

1 clue i ponder on as to why is that the 2nd death star has more range than the first DS. am i assuming correctly or is there another explanation ?

schill142
To my knowledge there hasn't been and official explanation to why the 2nd Death Star was bigger other then the cliche that bigger is better. Another more financial reason would have been the economies of scale for the project.

The Empire probably assumed that once the inherent exhaust vent problem was corrected, their station would be unstoppable. Judging by the specs of the projected completed project, that assumption would have been arguably true.

kremzike
Hmmmmm, well, I guess the official explanation for the bigger size of DS2 can be found in the databank on the OS.........

DEATH STAR: The Death Star was 120 kilometers in diameter. Much of its interior space was devoted to systems required to maintain its massive superlaser and power plant. Scattered across the Death Star's surface were thousands of weapons emplacements: a total of 10,000 turbolaser batteries, 2,500 laser cannons, 2,500 ion cannons and 768 tractor beam projectors.

DEATH STAR II: The second Death Star's size ballooned to 160 kilometers in diameter, larger than the original, and featured a superlaser of greater power. Not only could this prime weapon deliver a more devastating blast, but it could fire more often and with greater accuracy. The second Death Star, if completed, would have featured over 30,000 turbolaser batteries, 7,500 laser cannons, 5,000 ion cannons and 768 tractor beams.

So, a better superlaser and more weaponry across the surface. If anybody has any more info, please share.

Darth Subjekt
i always get an A...no surprise here... stick out tongue

Jodo kast
the deathstar was build by Wookies(in theEu).First they had a species from some planet.But they didn't work hard enough( maybe Geonosians )

nigeyo2000
once again as no-ones listening.....

THERES A SITH TEMPLE ON MUSTAFAR, like theres a Jedi temple on Coruscant................

Darth Subjekt
where did you hear that

cornponious
Uh, wha...?

Did you say something about a "Sith Temple"? I wasn't listening the first time...

corn

nigeyo2000
I heard that on the offical site a while ago now, have a look in the forums, its there....I think the quote from GL or RM was "the jedi have a temple, and so do the sith, and you couldnt ask for a more perfect location..."

obi-wan goes there to confront anakin, also sids is there, its in the latter portion of the film, its where anakin is properly 'knighted' (if you can say that) as a sith

i thought u guys knew

cornponious
I had no idea.

corn

bilbofett
Link, please? Not that i dont believe you, I just dont remeber seeing anything like that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.