Episode III: PG or PG-13? [Merged]

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JKozzy
What will it be rated? I'm thinking PG-13... I read in Insider that there's a topless scene, for some reason I don't think that'll pass under PG. Plus, the third Indiana Jones was PG-13, the others were PG, and that didn't stop it from being as successful, did it? It won't be rated R, for one thing. That would completely kill any hope of a profit. It can't jump from PG to R, I heard that on a few boards. It just can't and won't happen.

Member.
for a movie that is going to be so much "darker" than the others, i'm thinking this definetly will be PG-13.

Darth Jello
ok, the topless scene is hayden. and at this point, george has some powerful friends and is a powerful man himself. all the other films were at least a pg-13, especially empire. George could probably put Jay and Silent Bob banging padme in the movie and still get a PG rating.

yerssot
yes, don't get your pants off on the topless scene ... well, you can if you're a hayden-fan of course

from what I heard with the stuff going on it will get a more serious rating... unless they cut it out

The One Part 2
The film will definitely be rated PG. All of the other Star Wars movies were PG. Besides, Lucas wants the biggest audience he can get.

bigsef3
When raiders of the lost ark came out, there was no such thing as PG-13. It wasnt violent enough to be R, so it got the PG rating. Now there is a PG-13, but there are movies out that are PG now, that would have been PG-13 years ago, and movies that are PG-13 now, that would have ben R a few years ago. GL will have no trouble editing the movie to get a PG rating.

Darth Jello
actually, statistically PG13 movies gross higher than the PG fair

JKozzy
I was thinking it would be a play on words.. I was hoping it weren't though sad embarrasment

Astro12345
Obviously, PG. I would bet anyone anything. And the topless seen, it's not like they would show anything.

yerssot
dude, read! ANAKIN will be topless

JKozzy
Christ, I can understand for 23 pages, but this is the 10th post. Quite sad, really. erm

VilleValo462
i think it will be PG13 . sounds more dark and wayyy more action and shit like that big grin

hana_skywalker
Fortunately for us girls! Happy Dance Happy Dance

deaconbluez
The movie will definately have a PG-13 rating due to the thematic elements/violence. Episode 2's scene with Anakin getting his arm chopped off ALMOST got the film a PG-13 rating. True, George Lucas has a lot of influence in Hollywood, just not with the right people. He has alienated himself from the people that truly matter in the political machine. This is why none of his films get nominated for prestigious awards. You've gotta admire a guy who refuses to play the game and is still as successful as he is.

yerssot
just to please you hana stick out tongue

The One Part 2
I completely disagree. Every Star Wars film has been PG, and it's not going to change with EIII. As dark as it will be, the chapter is part of a story geared towards children as Lucas has said numerous times. He has enough influence to slip it through as a PG, and failing that, he'll edit it down to acheive that rating.

Darth Jello
didn't he, spielberg, harrison ford, and carrie fisher stand up and aplaud michael moore last year? that would've been awesome

eleveninches
that would be funny, to have michael moore in star wars (maybe he could campaign against palpatine)

deaconbluez
Except Michael Moore would be on Palpatine's side since he is pure evil. Like a GOP Senator once said, "Don't kill all the Liberals. Keep 2 on every campus as a living fossil so we'll always remember what they stood for."

JKozzy
True, true.. smile

Lyn
eek! Happy Dance eek!

WOOHOO!!!! Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Btw, PG-13... wink stick out tongue

Member.
pg-13.

ASSMAN
I want a PG-13 rating but I think Lucas will edit it for a PG rating just for the kiddies..
***ASSMAN***

PVS
says it all
there is no point in argueing.
if GL has to cut the film up to bring it to PG,
he will, unfortunately. however, the MPAA have been
surprisingly lenient with GL, so the darkness may survive
the cutting room.

ASSMAN
What rating do you want PVS?
***ASSMAN***

PVS
its not what i want.
the rating is irrelivant.
it WILL be PG, trust me on this.
GL will NOT loose a chunk of his audience to a rating.
lets just hope the MPAA is willing to turn a blind eye...

ASSMAN
Why would he lose his audience? The Lord of the Rings III was PG-13 and look at it now its the 2nd highest grossing film of all time...

***ASSMAN***

NoFate007
I can take PG...I'd prefer PG-13...but I'd LOVE for it to be R...too bad that won't happen sad

PVS
little kids love star wars
little kids=more$$$
hey, i dont like it either, but a fact is a fact

§pearhead
oooh, I would love just to see a pg-13 star wars movie...heh...

Though I'm thinking, this will be PG as well erm

ASSMAN
Yeah PG-13 would equal more violence. I to think it will be PG because Lucas is all about the money

***ASSMAN***

PVS
now we are using logic
save the wishing for the well

darktim1
I think it is going to be pg-13 because the movie is going to be so intense and darker during the lightsaber scenes plus when anakin gets burned by the lava for now may force be with you.

NoFate007
I think Lucas may just let PG-13 happen this time, because he's gotta know that he can't make the lava scenes look too fake or else everyone will hate the movie and it'll ruin the transformation of Vader, thereby ruining the whole saga. This is the last time around, and he's all about his "true vision"...I'm sure when he pictured Anakin's skin melting off he didn't picture the camera facing the floor lol.

ASSMAN
Maybe Lucas could make a PG-13 DVD edition like with the R rated Alien VS. Predator DVD...

***ASSMAN***

PVS
bump (sinking stupid threads)

Jeff-Man
i think it will be PG-13 since anikin gets burned and so many people die. rock

wolfdraven
PG,PG-13 it doesn't matter what the rating is as long as it's a Star Wars film people are going to flock to the cinemas to see the film.

sithsaber408
I'm hoping for the pg-13, but PVS is right on the money.

Lucas is something of a flannel wearing toy maker, even more than a filmaker.

I know he'll edit it skillfully, though. He'd chop the movie up if he has to, but he wont.

LOTR is pg-13, and has "epic battle violence./scary images"
StarWars has"sci-fi/fantasy violence"

Dont jump on me about maul's red spurt, because for the most part, there is no blood. Lightsabers and laser guns arent graphic enough for the pg-13. It's a flash of color, then the actor falls down.

Now, think about ep4,a whole sh*t load of people are shot point blank in the chest.
In ep1, quigon was run through the torso with a saber, maul was cut in half, in ep2, zam wessel and ani lost arms, and Jango lost his fargin' head.(with a good edit too, I watched it in slowmo and before the helmet hits the ground, already empty, there are a few frames of the shadow of the helmet in the air, and you see the shadow of the head leave the helmet. Good job gl)the difference is that all the stuff of ep4,1, and 2 will be combined into 3, but I think he'll get away with it.

My only question is about crispy(confirmed)anakin...

How the hell will he pull that off? confused

El Toro
what's the rating system there is the US?

In Oz its G, PG, M15+, MA15+, R, X.

im thinkin pg-13 is equivilent to a M15+ here. even if ROTS is PG-13/M15+ kids would still be able to watch it. i doubt the ticketlady/man would stop a kid from watching Star Wars that would be just cruel. like some1 mentioned earlier LOTR was Pg-13/M15+ and a whole sh!itload of kids watch them.

PVS
well, pg-13 is just that, 13years old or older unless accompanied by an adult. thing is, a rating of pg13 will cut some of GL's target audience away, because many parents are too protective of their kids, and wont run the risk of them seeing pg13 if they are not 13.

less kids in the theater, less cash for gl

cal31
The lava scene will be the one that means the difference between a pg and a pg-13 rating I think. All depends on how graphic GL wants to make it.

queeq
Not the scene, but the way Anakin looks.

Doesn't sound very SW, PG-13... IMHO OC

kyle katarn 467
its gunna be PG-13,its gunna be very violent for one thing,and this might be a lie but people have been tellling me that anakin and padme are gunna have a small sex scene.

queeq
Sex scene.... oh nooo....

Ken Benobi
In Star Wars Insider, Rick McCallum confirmed that a principal character would have a topless scene

queeq
Anakin?

Padme would be nice though... wink

Cipher
I'll be amazed if this gets a PG-13. In the end, Lucas will edit things to the point where he'll get the same rating as all the others. I just don't see him going that far. Keep in mind that he had a character get beheaded in Ep. 2 and it was still PG. Not to mention all the other violent things in the old movies........

queeq
Yup.

Master Kadub
personally i would love to see EpIII as R' to get a true dark feeling, but i would also like my daughter to see it.....i would be pressed to allow her to see PG-13 but it would fly with me.....

Mortanius
I hope that it's PG13, but it'll probably be PG. Which really sucks, because that means there wont be enough dismemberments and decaps. Also, some of the really violent scenes will be heard and not seen like the Tusken raider scene in 2.

Cipher
Exactly, there's no doubt in my mind this will be PG. All the others were....

queeq
Like any of the violent stuff really looks that violent. Just check out the battle in AOTC: many many decapitations, people shot dead, falling off balconies.... Does it LOOK bloody or violent: no, not really. It's just a lot.

Cipher
The more this is dicussed, the more I remember Lucas saying something about this film being done in the style (or language, as he put it) of the 30s and 40s.
Melodramatic but not graphic.....

darth_surgent
GL has an "in" with the MPAA, and always will. The MPAA will definitely give him a PG rating........ as long as there isn't any full frontal nudity.

Cipher
Lucas can make decapitations and limb removal not seem that graphic, its
remarkable...

queeq
Quite the talent.

Cipher
I forgot strangulation....

queeq
Oh yes... Lucas: "Look mama, no hands!"

guiro72
i say R....the kiddies had their fun with phantom menace and left everyone else out in the cold....now it's our turn.....

joking....but there's some truth in that maybe....lucas said that this one will be the darkest, and probably will make much less money than the others, but that it was the story that needed to be told, the one for the fans.....

now i now lucas speak....the first bit is false modesty, and the second is a lame attempt to get the fans whipped up.....but maybe, just maybe, he's made his money on the first two, and he's really prepared to go out on a limb with this one, after all the fans are the ones who are going to be buying all his merchandising in 5 years time....and he's aware that he's dissapointed a lot of the hardcore....it might be worth more to him in the long run financially to focus on winning the old fans back and forget the kids this time.....

or maybe even despite that he's got enough cash now to go hog wild and do whatever the hell he wants....remember the artsy obscure films he was planning on making after star wars....maybe there's still a side of him that's not as obsessed with money as people think....

ok, getting long here....the dooku scene is shown in sillhouette, grievous is a droid so he doesn't count (old standby), and like other people have said, there's at least four on screen decapitations in ep II, and a few other bits of dismemberment.....

last piece of pertinent information: in the special editions he had all the shots of lasers hitting people carefully edited out so that it cuts right before impact....it's only a split second each time, but it's true....not s****ing ya.....

Julie
just wishfully thinking...I hope it's good whatever the rating

rammsteincia2
i would love for it to be pg13 then they could get away with so much more stuff. but sadly, every movie has been PG so whats gonna stop GL from makin this one the same?

this thread should be "what do you want it to rated"

Car15
I want it to be PG-13, no doubt, but It will be PG. I was getting my hopes up for at least an ass-shot on Padme, but this is Lucas we're talking about... he won't show no ass. laughing But seriously... I'm gonna go search for a naked Natalie Portman image right now (not the beach ones, though)!

Cipher
I agree: this film will end up PG. All the other SW films were and I think Lucas
will want them all to be the same...

mauler
I think it will be PG-13 because the movie is going to be so darker

queeq
It will be PG because PG means: mo' money!

Cipher
Exactly!

queeq
And again we agree. big grin

Cipher
Cool....

Great minds think alike, they say....

thumb up

queeq
So what explains why we agree then? laughing out loud

Cipher
sad

laughing out loud

queeq
Hey, you may be a great mind, but as for me... wink

guiro72
maybe dark, emotional, and intense, just not explicit gore....that would be fine by me....

PVS
queeq, we can make this point till the cows come home and
people just wont stop wishing. i just hope they dont break down and cry when
the end of the november trailer comes and it say "PG". its going to happen people, deal with it. no portman's hooters for the guys, no hayden's bare a$$ for the girls (except maybe a charred one) and thats that.

but hey, dont let me stop you from dreaming....vote till your heart's content stick out tongue

guiro72
'tis true....lucas is as anally retentive as me....

they're always the same rating...
the credits are always the same (beginining and end)....
they're always roughly the same length....
they come out on the same date for chrissakes.....

he has dropped some surprises along the way so you never know, but i doubt this will be one of them.....

queeq
Amen, bro!

And yet, PG rating hasn't stop SW from producing some great films. So who cares?

PVS

queeq
Hmm, we'll see.

JKozzy
Just about to post that, beat me to it, PVS stick out tongue

I've thought it would be PG-13 all along, and I stand by it.

PVS
stick out tongue rolling on floor laughing

I POSTED IT FIRST!!! NYA NYANYA NYA NYA Happy Dance

JKozzy
ugh... cry

forumcrew
R would be prefered

Sith Master X
R would be awesome! evil face

Mortanius
Best would be X. evil face

Sith Master X
Oh but wait, I'm only 16. If it were R, that would mean that I'd have to sneak into the movies. evil face

Lyn
Same! sad

Sith Master X
lol But we both know that we won't have to because there's no possible way GL would ever have SW rated R. sad

Lyn
Yeah. happy I think it can still be dark and still get a PG-related rating.

Sith Master X
PG works. But it would be cool if were PG-13 at least.

Lyn
Oh yeah, I agree. I just meant it could be dark and still get that kind of rating. If he does it right.

Sith Master X
I agree. Maybe we'll luck out and it'll happen.

jedijunky1138
I just hope he does'nt have to cut a lot from the movie to keep it PG13 and not R.

Lyn
That's what I'm most worried about, JJ; that he wont make it as dark as it could or should be, so that it stays PG-13.

Sith Master X
Yeah, that's a good point. It would suck if he did that.

Lyn
Definitley.

Jedi Priestess
ooops!

vader519
Lucas has already said it is impossible for Episode 3 to be PG. It will be PG-13.

cal31
I'm optimistic that it will be PG-13 when even George himself says that the movie is so dark that it might be it, especially since he's been so adament about having all the previous movies be PG and for kids.

gunchips
Look at my sig

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Général Grievou
Hey dude !

Personnaly i think that the movie will be rated PG-13 because, of course all the five others sw have been PG, but this time it's different you know. There'll be much more violents in the fight (Anakin vs. Obi Wan) and when Anakin'll put off from the lava.
evil face

But if someone care about it, in french the movie'll be for all audience because Interdit- 12 ans, in french, the film must be really violent and gore like Scream or Kill Bill vol.2.

JKozzy
With the recent images, looks PG-13 to me.

NoFate007
PG-13 is what it'll be...but I think it would rock hard if it was R, don't you?

Jedi-Knight 8k2
There are two versions of Episode III being filmed one PG and one PG-13

NoMeN
erm no. first of all they finished "filming" a long time ago. and they are still deciding to either making it PG or PG-13.

12345m
if they do have 2 versions like spider man it would be 12a

Sith Master X
PG-13 would be killer sweet. I'm sure we'd be able to see a lot cool things that way, where as they'd be cutting some stuff out to make it PG.

Jedi-Knight 8k2
NoMen if you would look at the webdocs there are two screens of the same footage at diffrent angles and Josh already confirmed 2 versions

JKozzy
Where is this fabled "Josh confirmed two versions"? I'm sure that they shoot multiple angles of most movies, and choose the best one messed

havoline
from what I have heard from lucas since it is a darker movies, and since it has been known that lucas can do what he wants and he said before making episode 3 just when ep 2 was released that ep 3 was going to be dark, really diffferent, and that he was gonna do what he wanted and what was needed for the story not what people want cause what people want is a happy ending and that is not going to happen. Lucas intends to make a movie the way he wants it no matter what anyone says, he will I think do as much editing as he needs but he cannot take away what is needed for the film which is a great deal of trauma, death, loss and betrayal; qualities much in Lord of the Rings movies. would anyone agree with me or argue that??

12345m
i agree

JKozzy
I think we can safely merge all of the new "Star Wars Goes to Hell" threads here. Looks to me that it WILL be PG-13. Ha-ha to the twenty-someodd people who thought PG stick out tongue

forumcrew
yea theres no point arguing this Lucas thinks it will get a PG-13 but its not up to him anyway so it doesnt matter.. but i imagine he knows correctly

JKozzy
Mm, yes. He did make the movie, after all. I'm sure he'll have a very good idea as to what to expect. Even if it lands a PG, which is unlikely, the caution will still be there. But judging on the trailer, I'll bank on PG-13.

JKozzy
Hm.... I think PG-13. Definately.

Spoiler warning.

http://img161.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img161&image=neu100ti1sk.jpg

http://img92.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img92&image=neu12bmp4wd3el.jpg

bill9d9
Originally posted by JKozzy
Hm.... I think PG-13. definitely.

Spoiler warning.

http://img161.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img161&image=neu100ti1sk.jpg

http://img92.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img92&image=neu12bmp4wd3el.jpg

Most definitely PG-13

vader476
George lucus said that he thought this was gonna be pg-13 and he wasnt gonna change it hes happy with what he has
Its in 60 minutes with george lucus

macgeek2005
PG-13 is Much more popular. MILLIONS of people who always didn't have too much feeling for Star Wars, will run to this movie when they see that it's PG-13.

Alliance
I pray for PG-13...

Eleonora
Unfortunately for me it won't be pg-13 in Italy. You see here even violent and sexy movies are rarely forbidden (the only 14 rated film I've seen so far is Black Hawk Down, even films like L.A. Confidential were given a T rating, which is U to Brits) and I can't stand the idea that I'll be watching it with noisy and disgusting brats. If it's not rated T I'll throw a party I swear. I'll keep you informed. smile

hazkid
PG-13! PG-13! PG-13! PG-13!
i know plenty of people who would want to see this movie if it is pg13, but dont want to see the others because they think they are kids movies . if EPIII is pg13, they might get interested in starwars.

bilb
With al of the burnt Ani stuff & the countless linms and heads that get chopped off I honestly wouldnt be surprised if this one gets an R rating. I think it will be PG 13 but barely...

Lan©eWindu™
Nah, not gonna be close enough to a R rating, PG-13 most definately.

bill9d9
I believe it takes nudity to get an "R" these days. F-bomb used to get you an "R" but even that now only gets you a "PG-13".

darth_achilles
ok guys, so when should we expect to get a concrete rating?

Darth_Vader05
Uh if you watched the 60 minutes intrview Lucas said its going to be PG-13 and its about time because im sick of people saying Star Wars is suppost to be a kids movie when its not and Lucas even said that do not take your kids to see this movie....

hunchy
Its looking to be PG-13 if you ask me, especially since Lucas says that whatever it gets, it gets, which is an awesome attitude to have. I like the fact that it will actually be adult. To the comment above, there is no way it would be rated R. Not a chance. I'm guessing it should get its rating later this month, since next month is the movie itself.

tpaquin
They way my friends and i see it, if it's rated PG-13, he's allowed one f-bomb. Just one. It would be cool to add that f-bomb into yoda's duel.

I'm joking, by the way.

tpaquin
Originally posted by bill9d9
I believe it takes nudity to get an "R" these days. F-bomb used to get you an "R" but even that now only gets you a "PG-13". anything deeper than a "flesh wound", also. Spilling guts and whatnot.

jedi2187

darth_achilles
weird, i coulda sworn lucas said on the 60 minute it could POSSIBLY receive a pg-13 rating, i dunno though

LandoSpeeder2

astrofan428
I have pretty much come to accept that it will be PG-13. Not just because burnt Ani and severed limbs, but Ani also has the youngling thing which whether it is shown or not it will require a 13.

Général Grievou
Originally posted by astrofan428
I have pretty much come to accept that it will be PG-13. Not just because burnt Ani and severed limbs, but Ani also has the youngling thing which whether it is shown or not it will require a 13.

And don't forget Darth Sidious, a spy told a couple of month ago that the film'll be probably rated PG-13 'cause of Sidious, principaly.

Général Grievou
Oups doubl post. sorry

DeVi| D0do

XX Emperor XX
hell yea!!! PG-13 Happy Dance Happy Dance

Insomnia
It better be PG-13.

Personally I'd prefer R, but I know it's not going to happen.

LandoSpeeder2
feck yeah! rock

LandoSpeeder2

Jedi Priestess

.:Space Opera:.
well not the only reasons, we've got heads being cut off, limbs being lopped, hundreds of jedi being killed, little jedi younglings being murdured, and sidious is fecking SCARY as well.

hunchy

fezster
sweet! big grin

ab2421
i wonder when it will show up at http://www.filmratings.com/

JKozzy
Hell yes.

http://www.dailyherald.com/search/searchstory.asp?id=32813

smile We have a winner!

LandoSpeeder2
Originally posted by LandoSpeeder2
Heres the link for that quote.
http://www.dailyherald.com/search/searchstory.asp?id=32813

JKozzy
I'm not stealing your glory, I know where it was from stick out tongue

LandoSpeeder2
I mean, we've been talking about it on that last page, DD posted it first

hunchy
Aintitcoolnews has had that story for awhile....

ickeris2003
im glad with the rating pg-13 i think its awesome. the story and everthing will be explained better. cant wait till the movie comes out ... im gonna watch it like three or five times that week devil

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>