Full metal Jacket!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ploop4444
i saw this movie like two nights ago and i was in awe with what i saw!

what about you?

Justin

Evil Dead
One of my favorite movies ............

check this out........insanely funny.

http://www.heavy.com/index.php?videoPath=/current/teriaki/IdiotWork/FullMetalJoe

cgtuna21
Full Metal Jacket is one of the best war films of all-time and is one of the best films of all-time. The drill sergeant scenes are by far my favorite but the war scenes are teriffic also. Stanley Kubrick is one of my favorite directors and he directed this film because he hated the Vietnam most likely and we shouldn't of fought in Vietnam. Check this film out, it's quite amazing

Dr. Strangelove
Well here's my review FMJ. I loved the boot camp parts but hated almost all the Vietnam parts.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=301224&highlight=full+metal+jacket

Aku
The drill instructor has to be one of the funniest guys ever. "Private how tall are you" - "SIR 5'9 SIR" - "Wow I din't know they stacked sh*t that high, where are you from scumbag?" - SIR TEXAS SIR" - "Only steers and queers come from Texas"

(May not be an accurate quote, Any similarities to real-life incidents are purely coincidental).

Evil Dead
so nobody liked the Full Metal Joe cartoon I linked you to?.........pfffft.........

baracustastic
The film is ace. I love the end. My second favourite 'Nam movie, after Platoon.

KillTheLight
I never got to see all of this movie but I thought the drill Sergent scene at the start was pretty cool. I like how he made the one guy who couldn't stop smiling choke himself.and when he said to one of the other guys ''your so ugly you could be a modern piece of art'' I thought that was hilarious.

SlipknoT
The first half of the movie ws great

Spike Eccles
great war film from a great director...sadly missed now.

apparently, some people favour Platoon over FMJ

Duh!!!

Aku
Yeh but full metal jacket isnt really a good 'war' film but its a good film. Theres not much action and not much death takes place and half of it is a comedy.

Spike Eccles
GRANTED, BUT PLATOON SEEMS TO ME LIKE BOYS PLAYING WITH TOYS, WHEREAS FMJ IS A TRUE DEPICTION OF WARFARE. THE FIRST HALF, WITH THE TRAINING, SETS UP THIS THEME OF WAR TURNING US INHUMAN, WHICH IS THEN PLAYED OUT IN THE SECOND PART.

BESIDES, THE MUSIC'S BETTER...

Darth_Big_Boy
One of my faves as well. The first half or so is the best...after that it's slow but still good.

Cinemaddiction
I tried to load it, but it kept chopping up. Guess it would help if I saw the movie first. embarrasment

*runs away*

Cinemaddiction
Hmm...

Well, it's 2 1/2 months later and I finally watched my purchased copy of "Full Metal Jacket", and it seems as if the same sentiment is shared throughout.

I absolutely loved the first half of the movie. It depicted the absolute dehumanizing of a man. If such a thing can be considered "beautiful", or "poetic" that's the way I saw it, for a lack of better words.

The second half of the movie, I liked very much, naturally, not as much as the first. But in the Vietnam scenes, we get that same feel of young men turned into literal killing machines, oozing machismo.

Favorite character would have to be Animal Mother. Just no nonsense, kill 'em all attitude, which is probably the character I was supposed to hate. Oh well, lol. It was more or less standard wartime movie fare, the 2nd half, but it was still entertaining towatch, and actually provided some suspense, which isn't all that common in war dramas. Watching 8 Ball out there, with the platoon helpless, and Cowboy being put in the position of his first kill really were really effective, IMO.

Great character study with Pyle, the likes of which would have made for a great movie in itself, perhaps fleshed out his desconstruction for a full picture, but it's still brilliant filmmaking.

Smasandian
The boot camp I felt was brilliant and quite intense. The Vietnam war part I felt wasn't up to par. It was the same as any other Vietnam war movie with people dying, indisciplined US marines and some guns shooting.
It looks nice and all but I could care less about the characters after the Sarge and Pyle die, the scenes looked faked to me and the intensity just faded away once they were in the actually war. (which is funny in a weird way)
The movie is decent because of the first act greatness but I personally don't see come close to Platoon, Apocalypse Now and Deer Hunter.

In terms of depicting warfare, Platoon I felt was more intense and realistic than FMJ.

jaden101
full metal jacket is pure gold

here's a couple of soundboards

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/jacket1.html

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/jacket2.html

Cinemaddiction
I thought "Apocalypse Now" was pretentious and boring as hell. "Redux" bored me to tears. Characters were vanilla, situation didn't seem to carry any urgency other than it being a war, and Marlon Brando was unconvincing if I was supposed to feel anything for him. I haven't seen "Platoon" in ages.

jaden101
i recommend hamburger hill as a good nam movie...also the nam bits in the film "dead presidents" are superb and violent as sin...

Smasandian
Maybe not soo much Apocalypse Now, but I still have the same feelings towards Full Metal Jacket.

RZA
This movie is a classic, I can't believe some of you waited so long to see it. The general consensus is that the first half of the film is the best and it kinda takes a downward turn after that. But it was actually shot with the deliberate intention to feel like two separate films. The thing I like best about this movie are the memorable characters and their quotes, who can ever forget them, these are some of my favorites.....

Da Nang Hooker: Hey, you got girlfriend in Vietnam? Me so horny. Me love you long time. laughing out loud (This was the line that Luke and 2 live crew made famous as a hook in their rap song btw.)

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Holy dog shit. Texas? Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy. And you don't look much like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: I'll bet you're the kind of guy that would f**k a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around. laughing out loud

ARVN pimp: Do you want number one f**kee?

Vietnamese prostitute: No soul brotha, soul brotha too beau coup.

Private Eightball: What we have here, little yellow sister, is a magnificent specimen of pure Alabama Blacksnake. But it ain't too goddamned beau coup.

And my favorite from the best scene in the movie IMO:

Private Gomer Pyle:This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Private Joker: Are those... live rounds?

Private Gomer Pyle: Seven-six-two millimeter. Full metal jacket .

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: What is this Mickey Mouse shit? What are you two animals doing in my beloved head? Why is Private Pyle out of his bunk after lights out? Why is Private Pyle holding that weapon? Why are you not stomping Private Pyle's guts out?

Private Joker: Sir, it is the private's duty to inform the senior drill instructor that Private Pyle has a full magazine that is locked and loaded, Sir!

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: What is your major malfunction, numbnuts? Didn't Mommy and Daddy show you enough attention when you were a child?

rifle puke rip

Like I said 'classic!' thumb up

jaden101
classic...my favourite line is

"only after ya eat the peanuts outta my SHIIITTT"

PVS
??? i think apocalypse now was one of the best films every made

Cinemaddiction
Not I said the fly. I found it to be incredibly pretentious, overrated, and it never really struck a chord in me like the opening of "FMJ", or even recently "The Brotherhood of War". There wasn't much savagery in Apocalypse Now".

KharmaDog
Full Metal Jacket is a great , if not totally disturbing, movie.

erict
The drill sergent from FMJ is R. Lee Ermey, he currently hosts the military weapos show on the History Channel with the same enthusiasm as his charactor in FMJ.

Chopper Gunner: Anybody that runs is a N. Viet. Gook, anybody that doesn't run is a WELL-TRAINED N. Viet Gook!

Joker: How can you kill innocent women and children??

Chopper Gunner: Easy! Don't lead 'em as much...ain't life a Biatch!

Also, check out this war movie 'Boy's in Company C'

jaden101
Why are you not stomping Private Pyle's guts out?

hahaha...that is classic

jaden101
drill sergent

bilb
This movie is an absolute classic. Brilliant. A psychological study more than anything really.
And I also found 'Apocolypse Now' to be pretentious as hell. Talk about making a movie JUST to seem artistic. Operative word being SEEM.
But FMJ is one of the best movies ever made...period.

Smasandian
Its not even close to being the best movie ever made, let alone best war movie ever made or even best Vietnam war movie ever made.

RZA
Those who are looking for more savagery or in your face type violence, should check out the 'Killing Fields' it's a movie based on the brutal and sadistic regime called the Khmer Rouge which aided by Vietcong forces overthrew the Cambodian govt, and slaughtered millions of people in the process. You have to have a strong stomach to watch this one tho.

The Tired Hiker
Yeah, great movie. One of my favs.

PIZZA WARRIOR
In my opinion, R. Lee Emry (the D.I.) deserved an Oscar for this role.

Why he didn't get one is beyond me.

He completely dominated the first half of the film, and when he was gone, the movie just went downhill completely for me.

PIZZA WARRIOR
True, but it is so damn close !!!!

A bit surreal, but not phony like "Apocalypse Now", being based in part on actual historical events.

"Platoon" was in its way very good, too.

PIZZA WARRIOR
By the way, what do you all think of "The Green Berets" as a Vietnam movie ???

Cinemaddiction
Technically speaking, he wasn't in the duration of the movie, and although he was the meat and potatoes of that film, he didn't encompass much range.

Personally, I don't care if he won an Oscar for it, and I doubt he does either, because he's so revered for that perfomance alone, I would think the respect he demands for it is better than a statue from a select few people.

He's iconic, and that would be worth more to me than a trophy.

jaden101
i dont suppose he really deserved an oscar for it given that he wasn't really acting...because he was a real drill instructor who was meant to be on set as an advisor but was far better than any actor and so was given the part

gentmax
"Sir, a jelly donut, Sir!"

Johnlindsey289
awesome movie! definitely one of my top 133 favorite movies of all time, i have it on DVD and still enjoy it.

But i was wondering, what was it with the other soldiers pounding at Pyle's fat guts with soap and towels?

King Burger
Although I consider Kubrick my very favorite film-maker
ever (having watched all but his last film), I consider this
my least favorite of his.

The characters were neither likable, nor memorable.

Even the famous (or infamous) prostitute scene was at
its core, quite depressing.

I much prefer "Born on the 4th of July" or "Platoon", or
even the pre-jungle kingdom part of "Apocalypse Now".

Though not really a war/combat movie, "The Pentagon
Papers" was also pretty good.

JLred
I like the quote of i didnt know they stacked shit that high....lol

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.