Fate of the Red Guards

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bilbofett
According to Pabs' update this morning, the Red guards we see behind Yoda in the trailer are NOT dead.... So what is the deal here? Why would they be lying on the floor? Would Yoda really just 'stun' them in some way if he was about to fight Sids? Pabs has said before that these guys get their a$$es handed to them, so its not like they are a formidable enemy... It just doesnt add up.... Thoughts?

Jedi Priestess
Good thread Bilb. I thought they were a formidable enemy? Dont they carry the staffs that repell lightsabers or something? Im going for the stunned or knocked out explanation myself for the trailer image.

cornponious
You know, I was wondering that myself. We learn in ROTS that Grievous' guards have staffs that repel lightsabers. And in the OT, we have always seen the Red Guards carrying staffs, but never thought much of it.

Now I'm thinking that the red guards' staffs may also be able to repel lightsabers. I find this a bit exciting.

corn

5knuckleShuffle
i swear i thought i read abought the staffs on a card or somthing. brb

bilbofett
From Pabs Q&A 2/25/04

Will Palpatine's Royal Guards be involved in any sort of action sequence in the movie?

They do more than just stand there, but I'm hesitant to label it as action.

From 8/25/04
Will the Royal Guards continue to just standabout looking cool or will they finally get a chance to prove their worth?

They don't kick any butt. Quite the opposite, actually

So now what?

5knuckleShuffle
according to the action figure package it says the staff is like a tazer

Jedi Priestess
Ok Now Im lost because in the back in black footage we see Obi-Wan fighting 3 of these guys with the staffs messed

bilbofett
JP those were GG's henchmen, not Palps guards

Jedi Priestess
oh well doh me....

schill142
While it is Eu, the guards are formidable indeed. They carry force staffs and according to legend, not a single one has been killed in action. So that lends credence to Yoda "stunning" them.

.:Space Opera:.
yoda has recently aquired the new force power called rufees

jango fatt
In the EU they all get killed except Kir Kanos.Read the crimson empire series.They're really cool;

Naredhel
maybe they just get force pushed over and can't get up off their fat a$$e$...

Or maybe they somehow get hit by their own sticks and knocked unconscious? Maybe even Yoda was dressed as a red guard standing on someone's shoulders?

Mist
are you joking or serious? if youre serious, what the hell is that power?

bilbofett
This stuff on the OS contradicts itself, as usual. Here is the descrition of them per the OS:
Elegance and deadliness --- these are the hallmarks of the crimson-clad Royal Guard that accompanied the galaxy's sovereign at all times. While the guards can trace their origins to the cerulean-clad Senate Guards of the Republic, Palpatine crafted an order of protectors that stood apart from the rest of his forces.
Only the most promising of the Imperial ranks were selected for Royal Guard duty, based on stringent requirements of size, strength, intelligence, and loyalty. A Royal Guard was completely covered in flowing red robes and a sleek, featureless scarlet mask obscures their faces.

And again per Pabs:
From 8/25/04
Will the Royal Guards continue to just standabout looking cool or will they finally get a chance to prove their worth?

They don't kick any butt. Quite the opposite, actually

So are they the best of the best or pretty crappy? Seems like even the OS doesnt have a clue. But all of this, while fascinating, is kinda not the point.

Why are these guards not dead in the shots we see in the trailer? Thats what I cant figure out......

SomeGuy57
My guess is that Yoda was about to fight the guards and then Palpatine comes in so the guards bow down before him and yoda puts down his lightsaber to talk to Palpatine and then he turns his lightsaber back on (this is the part we would see from the trailer) to fight Palpatine while his guards are bowing before him.

Mist
the guards ARE the best of the best. it just so happens that yoda is BETTER. maybe yoda uses the force to make them stun each other with their sticks?

bilbofett
Thats just silly...you think an entire duel by the best of the best can be fought in the few seconds that the guards are bowing? Besides, in all the movies they have been in thus far we have NEVER seen them bow.

Sith Master X
I hope this duel goes at least 2 minutes. erm

bilbofett
Well , I dont think they will make the only duel we see between the two most power force users a short or wimpy one....

Sith Master X
I hope not.

Dogbert
Stunning seemes likely, since Red Guards aren't exactly worth exertion...

Mist
dooku vs yoda was short. i hope they make sidious vs yoda a proper duel, less like count dooku's, more like a normal saber fight.

musashi_sw
Mace kills the 2 red guards

bilbofett
They arent dead!!!!

Havoc X
no

Havoc X
NO THEY ARENT

JediJim
Perhaps Yoda will simply force choke them. That ties in nicely to when Luke force chokes the Gammorean guards in Jabba's Palace in ROTJ. But I admit it would probably look better on screen if Yoda used their staffs on them to stun them.

cylob49
Apologies i just repeated what this guy said in another thread

BUT in JEDI a scene was filmed of vader doing the force choke on an imperial guard who wouldnt let vader pass to visit the emporer so it wont be the first time theyve been choked
though this actually wouldve been the second time seeing as it took place after yoda did the choke thats if he does choke them as opposed to stunning themselves with their own guns ...........which i find hard to swallow.

darktim1
sounds like they stand but maybe palpatine has a signal like with the clones to make them attack after all they are his royal guards.

Ushgarak
(shrugs)

Heck of a big deal here. Why not something simple like... Yoda force pushes them into a wall, they collapse to ground, end of story. I mean, they are entirely irrelevant ayway.

cylob49
yes but isnt that the point of this forum
postings about irrelevant things
speculation on 20 second scenes
aint that just the way it is!!!

.:Space Opera:.
how about that scene in ANH when vader chokes the dude at the table?

Cowboyography
in the action figres of the red guards, they come with a rod that has what looks like force lightning that attaches to it!!

Delfedd
I love gramar. Don't you?

Cowboyography
If your a Grammar Nazi then WTF are you in a forum!!!

bilbofett
Not to sound bitchy or anything, but what about SW DO you find relevant Ush... every post I've seen from you comes across like we are all idiots for discussing any of this. So seriously, what do YOU find to be worthy topics?

Ushgarak
Plenty of worthy topics around, but moaning that the red guards should have a more significant role than simply being taken out the fight by Yoda in 2 seconds is a dead end. They are only there for one reason- to be looked at. Dramatically speaking they have no issue at all.

bilbofett
I wasnt moaning about them, I just thought it was strange that they are shown in the trailer, on the floor presumably, and yet they are not dead... Just seems strange that if Yoda's about to battle Sids why would he leave them alive. Yeah they are irrrelevant but thats still 2 more people to fight if left alive. It just doesnt make sense to me....

Ushgarak
Why bother to kill them if they are out the fight? No point doing it for fun and he probably has to concentrate on other things.

bilbofett
True...

But it still bugs me for some reason, dont know why really! Just seems like an unwise move for so wise a Jedi.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.