Why doesn't the Bible show everything?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dregh
I always wanted to know, WHY doesn't the Bible show EVERYTHING that has been written (Ie: Phillip's writings)

Tptmanno1
I COULD say because tis a piece of propaganda, but I'll jsut stick with this, The Romans edited it and cut stuff out.

Darth Revan
Yeah, there were originally a crapload of books, more than 80 I think... When the Romans compiled the version of the Bible we use today they took most of them out.

Imperial_Samura
True, the works in the bible really are there as they support the official Christian doctrine regarding the Christine faith, where as other works, such as the Gnostic gospels are very much different from the "official" version.

finti
they took out he stuff that didnt describe jesus as divine

yerssot
yup, and things that go against the other gospels; like Maria Magdalena being the best apostel

Clovie
huh

that stuff which is not aproved by church is not in bible and it is called apocryph (sp?)

smart

eleveninches
the parts of the bible not included in the standard bible (but included in the greek orthedox - i think?) is the apocrypha.

The parts of it that was left out because of being more mythology than religion (plus early works like the book of enoch) is called the Pseudepigrapha

eleveninches
http://www.earth-history.com/Pseudepigrapha/index.htm

-=Urot=-
Yeah they picked through all the various books and decided what they wanted to give to the people as the holy word of god (censorship at its best) in order to make them subservient to their way of thinking.

Checkout the Council of Nicea:
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/augustine/arch/sbrandt/nicea.htm

Also checkout Straight Dope's research on the topic of who wrote the Bible? (Part 1 & 2)
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mbible1.html
(A lot of reading is involved, enjoy.)

Edit: Side note, you may want to look at the info about Royal Library of Alexandria.
http://www.bede.org.uk/library.htm
(It was said that a Great wealth of world knowledge was lost during The Alexandrine War.

jnolan
best instance of this is the Red or Dead Sea Scrolls, im embarassed to admit that im not sure which one it is, but they said things that went against what the church teaches, such as the need to go to church at all, they said something along the lines of ......lift a rock and you will find me, behind a tree and you will find me.......i know thats way off but the gen idea is there, it was jesus sayin that you need not go to a place of worship to lead a good life, you need only carry God/Jesus' ideals with you in your daily life......this of course would be detremental to the church which is....at its core......a buisness

Storm
Stigmata
The kingdom of God is within you and all around you. It is not within buildings of wood or stone. Split a piece of wood and you will find me. Look beneath a stone and I am there.

jnolan
there u go, that was in the movie stigmata but dont just classify it as fiction b/c of that, the actual scrolls contained scripture very similar.

Bardock42
ah yes damn Catholic Church, eh.

jnolan
actually thats scripture that the catholic churces considered heiracy, and blasphemous

jnolan
iti's the baptist you wanna watch out for.....they are, for the most part all about the $$$$$$$

frodo34x
Or just all large scale church organisations...

jnolan
yeah i guess your right, but still the baptists make out the best, have you ever seen a baptist preacher not wearing a nice suit and all the right outfits to go with it

Bardock42
I've never seen a baptist preacher at all.

finti
and you are what denomination, and it aint the baptists that are the money hungry,

ushomefree

Jackie Malfoy
I thought it did show everything?What does the bible not show us?JM

finti
the truth

DirectorFitz
Originally posted by JNolan

I go to a Baptist church, and my preacher does not wear a flashy suit. He is just dressed in a nice laid back, almost casual shirt and tie wear. You are thinking of flashy sugar coated Christianity that you see on TV where people are falling down.

DirectorFitz
Originally posted by Finti

It is all true by faith, not proof. But, sure, proof is fun. TRUE proof that is. I say that because of DaVinci Code.....whatever dan brown

finti
yeah I attended the babtist church when I lived in Arkansas and it wasnt all that fancy

Cinemaddiction
Benny Hinn is a master showman. I'm more of a Jack Van Impe guy, myself. He's brilliant.

Ytaker
Because it contradicted the others in obvious ways. For instance, it says Jesus had intercourse with Mary Magdalane. This is more Jewish than Christian, saying the nupital chamber is holy of holies, as you get the divine breath when you have sex or something like that. Plus some were sexist. They were unpopular enough to vanish out of history quite quickly, for a couple of reasons.

1. Gnostic stuff was second century stuff, from people like basilides, who got it from "a secret tradition going back to the Apostle Peter" (though there's no proof for this claim). Biblical stuff is first century. Gnostic stuff looks different, and is from a second hand source.

2. Gnostics didn't like the idea of God taking all sin after dieing on the cross, they thought it to be illogical. So they were probably just trying to offer an alternate interpratation to a biblical source. Very second hand.

3. The Gnostic theory is that hidden knowledge can lead to greatness, power, love or whatever they happen to pursue (Myself not knowing). So they have secret accounts given to them of someone of great wisdom, secret revelations to the select few. That means that people can't go "Jesus didn't say that the river flows east, he said it flows west. I was there" to them if they lie. They revealed it an age or two after the actual events. They weren't soundly enshrined as true, but in the "maybe" catogory.

4. They said different things, didn't present a single viewpoint, as the bible does.

Nobody likes them, so they go. Quite simple.

ushomefree
Ytaker

What are you trying to say?

Fire
they just took out what didn't fit the damn picture

finti
right on

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.