Prince of Persia 2...Warrior within

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ragesRemorse
It hasnt even been a month since the first time i played through and beat the original Prince of persia. That was a fantastic gamming experience, yeah, it was a little easy, but if it were any harder i dont think it would have been enjoyable. I rented Warrior within about a week ago.

I must say, i diddnt find this game as entertaining as most other people. It was proclaimed that the battle system was completely revamped, by revamped they must mean adding the ability of double weilding weapons. There is still little to no fighting abilities, and battles have been multiplied, which makes the fighting all that more repetitous. I also believe that warrior within lacks the landscape beuty of the original. The high risk feeling isnt as apparant as it was in the original. In all, i found myself playing through nearly exact puzzles from the first. again, nothing has changed from the first, aside from quicker gameplay and the ability to weild two weapons. Also, there is virtually no story, you can play through numerous stages before any thing comes up that broadens the story.

On a positive not, the gameplay was faster which i enjoyed. The graphics are still top notch on a console game they lack a little in the cutscenes, but gameplay graphics are stil nice as ever.

Prince of persia Warrior Within.........6/10

Ushgarak
Without a doubt, this is a considerable disappointment compared to the original. The mood has gone from enjoyable fantasy (with effective character-based humour) to dark teenage angst, the wonderful soundtrack being replaced by hard guitar rock nonsense, the double-play of personality with the Prince and Princess replaced by a standard villain act full of totally cliched lines, and they solved none of the flaws of the original- dodgy camera angles and repetitive gameplay. So it did very little that a sequel should do in building on the first... and actually manage to make some bits worse.

A damn shame... but not actually a bad game (if frustrating if a camera angle kills you just short of a save point). The freeform fighting system is indeed chaotic but at least there is a lof of variety in there, and the plot (such as it is) follows on nicely from the one before.

So a disappointment, but not a waste of money.

ChickinMeat
i might be getting this title for christmas, i havnt played PoP1, so i guess i wont be disapointed!

Walfredo
Well if you read anything about how great the first one is then you will be a little disappointed because it is defintley dreary. I played for a while and it was fun but now I dropped the ball and haven't played in like 4 days. I was wondering though, nayone run into some bugs? I heard that Gamespot or 1up or someone put out a huge Bug list?

SaTsuJiN
Hmm I wasnt really disappointed with PoP2.. (i only played the demo mind you) I enjoyed the dreary atmosphere, but the controls were really wack.. you'll constantly find yourself doing the wrong combos, or jumping off the wall into a spike pit lol... it was ok, but they coulda make it a lil more user friendly.. the acrobatics are awesome though.. so its a 50/50 choice for me.. Im not a fan of buying adventure games much.. (I only get zelda or metroid titles for adventure). I'd recommend the demo before recommending to lay your purchase on this title though

WindDancer
Most likely I'll be getting this game as a Christmas gift. To be honest from what I seen it looks kinda sloppy. It seems to me that Ubisoft ruined the character by trying to make him look like a badass. The Prince in Sands of Time had a charm romantic personality (Yeah, I know is cheesy but fun).

Ushgarak
Absolutely- that was part of th charm of the original. It was more like an Arabian Knights tale, and benefitted for it. I think they thought this hardcore approach for the second one would bring more buyers... maybe they are right for the depressed teenage market but it doesn't make it a batter game.

Just finished it (with the proper ending)... MAN, this game really got me annoyed sometimes. Such stupid little things, with camera angles and bad placing of save points, that really aggravate and detract from a decent gaming experience.

Still, the game does pick up a little more with longer play, especially as you get more used to the fighting controls (note- do NOT try and play this game on keyboard on PC. Most certainly not designed for it!). And watching the Prince amusingly bumble from bad plan to bad plan has some echoes of the original, where he was a humourously flawed character. But in the end, I feel I will more remember this game for what it did wrong than for what was good at, and that is always a shame.

ragesRemorse
I liked the idea of a drastic change in game atmosphere and character. Yeah, i liked the idea, but the outcome seemed out of place and out of time from the first one. Maybe if they would have focused on the story a bit more , the extreme change could have worked. I thought it would have been a good way to keep the series fresh and innovative, but diddnt do anything for me, but wish i was playing the original again.

I also agree with ush that the music was a dissapointment. More times than not, i enjoy some good hard rock rifts from a guitar in a video game, but in warrior within, it seemed like the wrong game for it. I beat the game the other day, and it does pick up a bit near the middle of the game, but to me, it still lacked a few ingrediants of high flying fun.

ZomBiE_HunTER
I hate the camera !!!!!

Ushgarak
The camers can indeed be evil.

Actually, I don't even know what happens if you finish the game the normal way. I'll have to re-load from a while ago and play through a lot to find out, and I don't have the heart for it right now...

ChickinMeat
so may i ask, is this game not fun as in the actual game isnt fun, or is it not fun because it didnt live up to the original?

maybe i interpreted the thread wrong

Ushgarak
It is:

a. Not as good as the original

b. Subject to some annoying gameplay flaws

But not actually that bad.

Just went back and finished the game the normal way after all. Man, that's so much more depressing...

ZomBiE_HunTER
There were alot of gilthces when i played and i was wondering if anybody have the same problem.

DenKi
game sucks, i took it back to the shops

ChickinMeat
game seems cool to me so far, but i havnt played it for that long, and im crap, i cant beat the first training boss.

more practise required

SaTsuJiN
I preferred 1 weapon in the demo.. when I picked up 2 it got messy.

khan
your all kidding right its a gret game in my opinion its better than halo 2 and san andreas.its one of the best games of all time

arsene
Am I the only one who doesn't get what happens in both endings (especially the alternate one! Who the heck is the guy in black? Just when you think they put in a happy ending, I see the prince and kaileena turn into fire or whatever...)

Anyway, I also dislike the overall depressed-goth mood, I was enchanted by SOT 1001 nights sort of thing, now I don't even dare to play WW at night! I like the story though, but that ending...

If someone, smarter than I am, can tell me what happens here, I'd be grateful!

Red Superfly
The one HUGE thing that put me off was the fact that Ubi Soft felt it necessary to Hollywood-ify the series when there was nothing wrong with it.
I mean, the gruff "bad-ass"-ness of it all is so unoriginal. The first one was original, despite it being a sequel. It was a breath of fresh air. Wonderfully fitting music and ambience with light-hearted combat. I was more interested in the puzzle and acrobatics rather than the fighting. I loved the first game and couldn't wait for the sequel.

Unfortunately, Ubi Soft decided to do everything that I DIDN'T want to see in the sequel.

It was as though EA picked the franchise up and decided to make it "cool" and "wicked" but in a cardboard cookie cutter yes-man kind of way - all in order to pander to the lowest common denominator - yes, the Need For Speed Underground and Sims customers.

Gruff voice, an ass of a character, focussing MORE on the crappy combat rather than the bit that made the original enjoyable, the puzzles and the acrobatic platforming goodness. Where did PoP go?

The music, for a start, is crap. It's that crappy American heavy rock that all the 13 year old rock n00bs love - which in actual fact sounds "heavier" than Calista Flockhart. On the trailer, they use the EXACT same song they used for the Scorpion King movie! WTF? Where's the originality in that?

I kept expecting the Prince to pull out an Uzi and do a drive-by, while driving a blinged up car with neon underglow. What's with the generic bad-ass posing? Look at the box art for crying out loud.

You know who's fault this is? That's right, all the stupid people that didn't buy the first game - THE MAJORITY. Ubi Soft were pressurised into making PoP 2 like that because the first one was being sold at half price after its first week on sale in most places.

SpikeSpiegel
Just completed it, with both endings. i wonder which one they'll use for the sequal. I'ld prefer them to use the alternate ending (from using the water sword).

arsene
And what the heck happens to Kaileena in the alternate ending? I kinda liked her. Hope she gets a role in the next PoP game.

I also read on some Dutch PoP forum that there's gonna be a PoP movie, produced by the one and only Jerry Bruckheimer! That is, after he finishes Pirates of the carribean 2... Man I'm really excited about that.

As a matter of fact, I wouldn't mind starring in it... a small role would be nice... like the Prince for example... wink big grin stick out tongue Happy Dance

SpikeSpiegel
In the alternate ending:

- Prince knocks the Dahaka off the platform into the water, the Dahaka comes back up looking seriously pissed off before exploding.
-Prince and Kaileena build a ship together and head for Babylon.
-Prince and Kaileena get physical (although with their clothes on)
-Babylon's on fire, green clothed men are killing army (look sorta like in that trailer of the Prince leading their army - which would be good for PoP3)
-Crown falls to the floor (death of Prince's father)
-Dark, hooded, red-eyed man picks up crown and says "What is yours is rightfully mine....and mine it will be"
-Dark figure (suspected to be a evil version of the Prince when the Dahaka took the other version of him) moves aside and Farah (from Sands of time) is tied to a cross.

Ushgarak
I don;t think he was asking what the other ending consisted of, just what the deal with Kaileena was.

I doubt there will be any need to choose in continuity between the two endings because tyhey both end in you not being chased by thr Dahaka any more (for different reasons) and with spoiler Babylon in flames. Kaileena is the one variable which may need work.

I don't get the logic that the Dark guy is an alternate Prince created by the Dahaka, but when you look at the plot events of the games from SoT onwards, the Prince has cocked up his own timeline so damn much that it is little wonder if something in the way of a duplicate got created at some point. He really is a temporal mess by any standards!

SpikeSpiegel
Oh....well there it is anyway incase anyone who got the regular ending wants to know :P

arsene
I know what happens in the Alt. Ending, I saw it myself, but I was still in doubt about that physical part, what happened exactly. I suppose one could certainly see it as a sex scene, - i must admit it certainly sounds that way - and you'd have to see the flames n stuff as something symbolic.

But it could also be that during this strange merge-intercourse-thing the prince (and kaileena too, maybe) had a vision of what awaits him in Babylon, because the history changed big-time.

Don't forget, no sands, no hourglass, no foul-hearted vizier (well, maybe he tried to take over power in some other way) no dagger, no amulet, no love affair with Farah! It would be as if PoP1 and 2 never happened, and the prince would still be the young lad we saw at the start of PoP1: with a craving for honor and glory. So India might still be conquered (that would possibly explain Farah hanging on a piece of wood in the alt. ending).

Now the "mature" (that is, depressed) prince who went through the horrors of Sands of Time and WW, comes back, with Kaileena, his newly found love, thinkin he's got it made (especially after getting oral sex from the Empress, see alt. ending) coming back and seeing, well, that history is really screwed up.

So screwed up that I forgot my point and don;t even get my own theory anymore. confused embarrasment rolling on floor laughing

Oh well, Ubisoft better not let us down with PoP 3!!!!!!!

SpikeSpiegel
The amulet still exists in the alt. ending

Ushgarak
Crap, sorry, messed up that spoiler.

But yeah, that's only the start of how cocked up his own continuity is, arsene. But I don't think it was some kind of vision, it was just showing us what was happening.

arsene
Jerry preps game plan for 'Sands'

Pic being earmarked as a feature film for Disney

Jerry Bruckheimer Films is negotiating a seven-figure deal to acquire the featurefeature film rights to bestselling videogame "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time." Pic is being earmarked as a feature film for Disney.
Deal includes a script being penned by game creator Jordan Mechner. John AugustJohn August is execexec producing and supervising Mechner on the script.

Game, set in 9th century medieval Persia, tells the story of how a young adventurous prince who uncovers a dangerous artifact in a remote mountain kingdom and with the help of an enemy princess, must stop a despot from unleashing a sandstorm that could destroy all mankind

Mechner says Bruckheimer's "Pirates of the Caribbean""Pirates of the Caribbean" was a touchstone for the adaptation. "Rather than do a straight beat-for-beat adaptation of the new videogame, we're taking some cool elements from the game and using them to craft a new story -- much as 'Pirates' did with the theme park ride."

August says the character of the prince is like a 9th century Indiana Jones. "He's fourth in line to the throne, with no shot of ever becoming king. So it's given him permission to lead a very reckless and exciting life."

Pic will be produced by Bruckheimer and exec produced by August, Bruckheimer Films' Mike StensonMike Stenson and Chad OmanChad Oman and Mechner. Exec VP of production Jason ReedJason Reed is overseeing the project for Disney. Happy Dance

Walfredo
I dunno about that. I recently got side-tracked. But I definitely want to go back and beat it. I just got real frustrated when I got stuck at a point and had to go back and do it like 10 times and it was just a pain. And then right afterwards there was a Dahaka chase that was basically trialand error. I dunno, I feel the game is getting less obvious and more cheaply obscure nad difficult. Lik eI don't know where i am going not becuase its hard but because its annoyingly difficult.

Now after the hate, I must say that I like the game. A lot of people don't think this is a good sequel, but personally i think it has a lot of upside and has been enjoyable over all.

ChickinMeat
After playing it through for a while, i have to say i enjoy it quite a lot, many hours of fun i have had playing this game, just a shame i never got round to buying sands of time, ill have to get that next, seeing as everyone says its better.

yerssot
they just showed a doc about the team creating it, how they are thinking about the cameraviews and moodsetting elements and such

they didn't talk much about the game itself and I don't think it will sell much here

Ushgarak
There are times where they clearly did not think enough about the camera views.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.