God's rest...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Imperial_Samura
So, if one is to believe in God, one is to believe he is all powerful....

So why did he need to rest on the 7th day? Is there some reason why an all powerful being needed to relax after creating all? A symbolic reason? A metaphysical one? Or maybe a theological cause....

Either way, it is hard to see how he/she/it is all powerful if he/she/it becomes tired....

And if God rests on a Sunday, what occupies the rest of his time?

Bardock42
That is a really good question, probably people will come up with sth like the Bible was written by Humans, I mean if one thing doesn't seem to make sense how can you say another is right.

clickclick
there was nothing left to do on the 7th day.

I dont know in the bible where it says God rests on sundays.

Bardock42
oh he couldn't have made earth a nlittle bit better..
Anyway why rest, why not create something else somewhere els, an almighty person shouldn't have to rest.

clickclick
Two things. A) I dont take everything in the bible literally
B) He didnt feel like creating something else I guess. Not because he couldnt but because he was done creating.

Bardock42
If you don't take everything ion the bible literally, what do you take literally then and why

Storm
That is not the issue in this thread Bardock42.

Bardock42
huuuuuuun OOOOOOOK

WindDancer
I think that the use of the word "rested" in the Genesis book means that he stop from creating things. Probally God figure he had created enough stuff and so he decided to stop. Thus he rested on the 7th day.

frodo34x
I would have thought it is a symbolic thing.

Imperial_Samura
As have I, but that begs the question, and yes, I know its probably impossible to answer, but what does God do the rest of the time? Rest, the lack of work, as it were, so he created for seven days, then went back to not creating... so for the infinity before creation he technically "was resting" and for how long after creation did he do nothing?

KPrince
WindDancer is somewhat correct. It is like an artist who is making a painting...once he has completed his artwork, he stops and stands back to reflect on what he has just done, and what the significance of his work means to him. God is a Creator, and once He finished the creation, He didn't "rest" from exhaustion, but rather stepped back and admired his work and reflected on its significance.

Fiery Eyes
I believe he rested to set an example for all christians. To set that day aside of rest, of going to church.

BackFire
The answer is obvious, he wanted to watch football and The Simpsons.

Tex
You mean people still believe that the world (as we know it today, as described in the bible) was created in 6 days?

Imperial_Samura
Not necessarily, just a hypothesis as it were, if we were to believe it, why?

WindDancer
Yeah, that metaphor of an artist admiring his work is what I had in mind. But only as a metaphor.....nothing more.

DuronKiller
the bible says 1 day to god means 1000 day to man.....
thatd be 6000 days, i think thats possible...
i think 6 days would be possible too, IF he is almighty....

i think he rested the 7th day, because wouldnt you just like to sit down and relax a whole day too? why wouldnt god want to do that wink
the bible says man are made to be similiar (at least by the look) to god, so.... we like to watch our work when its done.... god maybe likes watching his work too.... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Imperial_Samura
Ah, God watching Earth. It would be like some big soap show. A divine days of our lives. Although it might get a bit boring, after all, whats the fun of watching if one knows how it all ends?

DuronKiller
i like to watch some movies several times... though i know how these end wink

but i think god shouldnt be too much compared with man, because there would also have at least to be a BIG difference (mean hes almighty, we aint)

Tex
The earth as we know it today, as described in the bible, was created by four and a half billion years of evolution.

DuronKiller
thats not a fact! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Tex
There's scientific evidence to back that up, which is more than I can say about your 6 (6000) day bible theory.

Quite ridiculous really.
Seriously, I wish more people would close their bibles and open a science book.

clickclick
I dont know how old the earth is, neither do you. Whether it is 10 billion years or 2 days it matters not to me.

finti
I guess it would matter if it was 2 days

Afro Cheese
I've always wondered why God would have to rest too. Also, why did it take him 6 days to make everything? If he's all powerful, couldn't he just make it all in a flash and be done with it? How exactly did they measure days before the universe existed seeing that there was no earth or sun? It's just another addition to the endless list of things about the bible that don't make sense.

finti
its a tale made so that kids easily can reflect and relate to the story

clickclick
Matter in which way?

I dont see why not but that doesnt mean he would either. It may seem more effecient to you but to a supernatural being who trascends time, what relevance would it be?

Who is they? Time in the physical universe would not have existed until the universe was created.

finti
matter through the fact that we wouldnt be where we are if it was 2 days old

clickclick
You are correct but I was thinking of how long it took to the create the earth. This because he was talking about 6 days and what not.

Afro Cheese
God created the earth in 6 days and rested on the sabbath right? How do you know it was 6 days if the earth and sun were nonexistent at the time? When they say 6 days do they mean 6 of our earth days?

clickclick
I dontk now how many days it was created in, it doesnt even concern me to be honest with you. Wasnt the sun created before the earth?

Mr_Famous
time doesnt matter to God- to him a thousand years are as a day.
Who cares why he didnt create everything in a flash- i cant be bothered trying to figure all that out...
All i know is im looking foward to the 6 day holiday thats comin up (days including the weekend days)--oh yes........relaxation

Afro Cheese
According to the bible he created the universe and everything inside it in 6 days and rested on the sabbath. A day on Earth is measured by one full rotation of the earth. So if when they say 6 days they mean 6 earth days, then that doesn't make sense because earth wasn't created yet. If by 6 days they don't mean earth days but some other measurement of time, than who is to say 6 of those "days" don't translate to billions of earth's years?

Ytaker
I always see those days as times of activity. For instance
Period one, create stars, bind them into galaxies, put the energy density of space to one part in a hundred million billion billion billion billion billion yada yada.

It's not like God can casually say to a scribe, "OK, first I created a singularity, then I expanded, simulataneously producing after 0.00000... seconds strong nuclear force , weak nuclear force, the size ratio of the neutron and the proton, electromagnetism...". Who could understand him?

Afro Cheese
Let me try to understand what you are saying. Are you saying that you believe the "days" the bible talks about aren't actual units of time, but periods of activity? Meaning that he did do it in a flash and the 6 days were just 6 steps to creating the universe? Then what about the 7th.. that wouldn't be a period of activity because no activity would be occurring. Resting isn't a step in creating the universe... and it wouldn't be necessary for an omnipotent being. So did someone just add the 7th "day" into the story of creation so we would have a day off.. or did God actually use a "period of activity" to rest which God wouldn't even have to do in the first place?

dave123
a "day" couldn't be 24 hours, since there was no earth/moon then stick out tongue

Mane
First of all, there is no proof of how long "days" were at that time, obviously. Second, God "rested" to set the example that men were to rest on the Sabbath day, as he made it a commandment.

DuronKiller
according to the bible the first day is over at the time earth and sun are created i thought..... so wheres the problem big grin ?

edit: thatd be 5000 more years for the rest of the thing....

Afro Cheese
My point is that if you don't know how long the days the bible mentioned actually were, they could actually be billions of earth years and scientists could be right about the age of the Earth. And if all god wanted to do was command man to rest on the 7th day, why didn't he just command it? He really didn't have to set an example.
But that still doesn't make sense.. how is the period from the beginning to the creation of the Earth and Sun measured as a day since during that period the Earth and Sun didn't exist?

DuronKiller
i dont know big grin at least that works for the 2nd-7th day.....

clickclick
you can backtrack.

Jackie Malfoy
Because that is the day that we don't work and we honer him.Inleast that is what I was told.JM

finti
hmm I work 7 days a week so what day should it be

Bardock42
Jackie do you ever read the first post?
The question was why did he rest not why should we rest big difference there.

Afro Cheese
Can you explain a little? I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean.

frodo34x
You can count back in your head so to speak to tell how long passed

DuronKiller
i think its not told in the bible how long it took to create the universe.... its just said when the first day has been over.... not how long its been...

Afro Cheese
But the thing is there is no "time" before the universe existed. When the universe was created, time began. So there is no counting backwards and seeing how long it took god to make the universe because before it was created there was no time at all. And you certainly couldn't determine how many days it was before the earth even existed.

MC Mike
Well, the earth was formed by the disk of the solar system billions of years ago, and the formation of the universe also took billions of years. I'm a Christian but I don't believe that Bible bullcrap about the 7 days - the week was invented by non-Catholics. Oh my god! No way! Yes way.

Afro Cheese
You're Christian? That's surprising.

DuronKiller
thats a theory... maybe there are other universes existing and the time works at some higher level, so that all universes run synchronous... i think the time must be at some higher level... between god (because god has always been there and will always be there...... means no time)
and our universe which actually doesnt control the time, but time is important for it.... thats what i think roll eyes (sarcastic)

clickclick
There was no time in the physical universe before it existed, of course. You can count backwards just like its done now when they try to calculate the time between the universe begining to now. No person was counting before the earth existed, of course. You can backtrack though now that it does exist.

DuronKiller
thats just another theory.... we got no proof of that (see the "who created god" post where this topic is discussed a bit more)
well the week has not been invented by anyone.... it has always been there in the history of man hasnt it?? according to the bible the week has always been there because the first man learned it from god and told that to their children and so on.....

Afro Cheese
How exactly do you count back before the creation of the universe? In order to calculate the amount of time it took god to create the universe you would have to go back before he created it, how do you do that? Even if you could, you know the people who wrote the bible didn't because they couldn't at the time. And scientists have tried to track time to the beginning of the universe and estimate it was created somewhere between 10 and 20 billion years ago, which contradicts the bible's theory.

MC Mike
Did you know Saturday means Sabbath? Explain that to me.

The ancient Babylonians are known to have observed a seven-day week; each day dedicated to a different deity. The significance of seven comes from Babylonian astronomy. There are the seven heavenly bodies or luminaries normally visible to the naked eye (the Sun, Moon, and 5 visible planets), and they associated each with a deity. Babylonian use of the seven-day week may have influenced other cultures of the Eastern Mediterranean and the Middle East.

frodo34x
Im with you on the creation side of things at the very least. I believe the big bang was something caused by God.

clickclick
From the begining of the universe, not before it. What relevance is the 'time' before it?

Mane
It's symbolic. And plus, mankind isn't known for its obedience.

Afro Cheese
To see how long it took him to create it you'd have to measure how long it was from before he created to when he finished creating it. How do you "backtrack" that and figure it was a day since there was no Earth at the time.

Afro Cheese
If he was all powerful he would've seen that even if he did rest on Saturday mankind wasn't going to obey anyway. Most Christians in today's world don't.

clickclick
Not true. The universe could have started the instant he began and presumably did.

So he knew that.

Afro Cheese
So if he created the universe in an instant than it didn't take him 6 days...

clickclick
I said he began that instant.

Rogue Jedi
i have seen too many things in my life to think god is not all powerful.

Afro Cheese
When you say "he began" you are saying God's existence began in an instant? I thought Christians believed God has been around forever?

clickclick
Began creating the universe.

DuronKiller
i knew that already.... i never thought sunday would be the right day... wink
i dont know what youre trying to tell me.....

eezy45
after all, Days don't have to be 24 earth hours... right..?

I mean... what if we're still on the 7th day... who knows how long god's days are?

DuronKiller
if we were on the 7th day there were no women... stick out tongue

and only one man "adam" big grin

Bardock42
so maybe its the 8th. Actually I think god created mankind on one of those day, the adam story ia a whole different thing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.