Vader sans sith lightening ...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

master harmax
Dooku / Darth Tyrannus uses dark force lightening on Anakin in Ep.2 ... and he's supposed to be a fallen jedi ... who studied the ways of the dark side for 10 years.

Darth Vader was a master sith lord ... and a sith lord in no way inferior to Darth Tyrannus / Dooku as a sith lord; so if Dooku had the power to wield sith lightening then theoretically Vader should also have had the power to strike with sith lightening. Now obviously the saga hasn't progressed in order from ep1 to ep6 ...
and at the time of ROTJ, Lucas gave the sith lightening power to the emperor, I suppose, to make him special in some way as befits the supreme sith master. At that time, he didn't know that 16-18 years later he would be filming episodes 1 - 3. And that he would come up with this thing of the sith always being 2; master and apprentice; no more no less. And that in episode 2 an APPRENTICE sith ( i grant u that Dooku is not exactly an apprentice but a fully fledged force master himself, but technically he's still the apprentice to palpatine's master ), would be shown wielding the sith lightening. The thing is, it's a simple equation; anything that Dooku can do with the darkside of the force, Vader can do as well; i.e. if Dooku has the power to strike with sith lightening, than Vader should also have the same power, because he was in no way inferior to Dooku as a sith lord.
But obviously Vader never had the sith lightening power ...
therein lies the anomaly .....

Ushgarak
I am still not at all certain that Dooku uses lightning on Anakin.

Bantha Fodder
Good point, Harmax. Although, it is possible that Count Dooku is MORE powerful than Vader. After all, it seems that Dooku is his own master, not beholden to the emperor (how else could the emperor have trained Maul, if he had to also worry about Dooku?).

So my point is that Vader was always the emperor's little *****, and maybe the emperor purposely didn't teach Vader the lightnening trick, so that he would never be a threat to the Emperor. Being an insecure twit, the emperor wouldn't trust his apprentice with ALL of the dark side powers!

Ushgarak
And I am pretty sure that Dooku is as much Sidious' sub-ordinate as Vader.

Dooku wasn't with Sidiuous while he was training Maul!

Bantha Fodder
It seems that Dooku has more independence than Maul. He does things on his own, has lines, etc. Maul just stood there and looked stupid....he said maybe 10 words in all of TPM! That's not very indicative of an intelligent being.

My guess from the trailers is that Dooku is about as powerful as Palpatine, and that he answers to no one.

But I'm probably wrong.

JediOasis
I think Bantha Fodder has a good point. Perhaps Palpatine had no problem teaching Dooku the lightening trick because even with that Palpatine might have known Dooku was not powerful enough to defeat him. However, Palpatine knows how potentially powerful Anakin/Vader is and doesn't want him knowing how to throw the lightening.

Ushgarak
IF Dooku can do it at all. And I am very sure that, powerful as Dooku is, Palpatine is still a whole league ahead; at least as powerful as Yoda.

Obviously Dooku is more of a thinker and independant man than the muscle that was Maul; the contrast with Maul is much appreciated and I think Dooku is a superb character. But he is still sub-ordinate (though doubtless plotting to overthrow Sidious somehow).

ryamathart
Maul and dooku are two totally different people. First of all maul was always a sith and totally dedicated to the ways of the sith hence his tattoos and horns. Maul was also more of a erron boy rather than someone sidious would would consult for advice. Maul also never questioned what his master ordered he did it because some how he knew it would benefit the two of them in the future.

Dooku is a fallen jedi which might have something to do with him not being as obidient as maul.
Dooku is obvious older than maul which means he is wiser and more force sensitive than maul was. Dooku could of tought him self how to use force lightning. He could of ventured into the darkside long before tpm which means sidious didnt teach it to him.

who is more trained in the ways of the sith? Maul or dooku it is said that maul was one of the most highly trained sith or the order, and i dont know if that can be said of dooku just cause he can use lighting, maybe maul could use it too, but he wouldnt
because he was the type of person who embraced a challenge.

ToMacco
Vader can't use lighting, because he'd electacute his electronic body. Huh? What do you think about that?

ryamathart
yeah i guess so he probably try using it with his saber in hand (while it on)and go into a seizure and throw his lightsaber that would fly right at the emperor and cut him in two.

of course he doesnt know how to use it so the emperors happy the hes the only senior citizen in the galaxy than can zap people to death.

ToMacco
What a bastard, huh? smile

master harmax
Just a few points of clarification :

1. Dooku left the jedi order AFTER the events of the Phantom Menace, not before ... in disgust; because of the way Qui Gon Jinn died, and because he was unhappy with a state of affairs in which the jedi council had to report to and obey the wishes of a supreme chancellor.

2. He studied the ways of the dark side starting from this time, for a period of 10 years; which is the time elapsed between the events at the end of Phantom Menace to the beginning of Attack Of th Clones.

3. He studied the ways of the dark side under Darth Sidious; the sith always two; master and apprentice; no more no less. And after the death of Darth Maul, the new apprentice for Darth Sidious was Count Dooku.

4. Therefore Darth Sidious did not have to train Darth Maul and Count Dooku at the same time.

5. That makes Dooku, as Ush says, definitely a subordinate to Darth Sidious; maybe as compared to Maul, a more senior subordinate, if you will forgive the oxymoron, but definitely a subordinate.

6. Dooku was one of the greatest of the jedi, a high ranking master of the force and a great sabreist; but still not in the very highest league; I refer to the magic circle of the very greatest; and in my book that circle includes just 3; Palpatine, Yoda and Anakin Skywalker.

7. To ryamathart, regarding his last point : laughing out loud

Amidala
Just because Vader didnt use a skill does not mean that he cant use that skill if he ever wanted to. You can't assume that. We didnt see the Emperor force choke anybody but i am sure he can do it.

Emperor Helmet
Vader can deflect blaster fire with his hand though. I think that is even better.

Ushgarak
We can be pretty certain that Vader can't do it. The point of the Lightning was that it was a big surprise that the Emperor could perform such a direct powrr; it trumps everything that comes before.

yerssot
but now you have the theory of Dooku...

Julie
force lightning....something to not have in the hands of amateurs wink

Ushgarak
Let's wait and see about Dooku.

Julie
ok...you's the boss.... wink

yerssot
yeah I know, still a theory

Julie
theories...theories....and not a drop of fact wink

master harmax
Anyway ... lightening or no lightening, Vader would still kick Dooku's butt. cool

Ushgarak
Well, hot bet is still that this is exactly what Anakin does in ep. iii. Well, we'll see, eh?

But if Vader fought anything like he did against Luke whewn against Dooku he would be toast...

yerssot
toast and lavapit... hmmm... :d

master harmax
Well u know ... by the time of ROTJ, he's old, over the hill ... and ... more importantly ... its his son u see ... in seeing his son, suddenly there are tremors of the sleeping ghost of anakin within vader ... i quote " There is still good in you ...... that's why u didn't kill me then ... that's why u won't take me to your emperor now " ... so basically, he wasn't totally merciless against Luke as was his usually wont.

None of the afore mentioned problems would be there against Dooku.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.