The Prophecy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ArthasKnight
Searched, didn't find.

The Prophecy states that the chosen one will come along and bring balance to the force, correct? Well all along we've been assuming it's Anakin, but what if it wasn't him? What if it was someone else more powerful than Anakin and therefore able to influence the balance more than Anakin could?

What if it was referring to Luke? Thoughts on this?

NoMeN
its anakin.

Master Kadub
This has been answered long ago........ANAKIN....

theshakl
Anakin fulfilled the prophecy by killing all the Jedi and the Sith, leading to the creation of the New Jedi order by Luke. A better Jedi Order where Jedi were not so restricted by rules on love, etc. The Jedi had to be wiped out because, they were not as strong as before, and a lot of their morals were screwed up.

So anakin killed the last of the Jedi and Sith...leading to the new order...

(well thats my theory and it works unless they screw it up in episode 3)
because...if not then he is a bad chosen one because he is part of the reason that sidious took over...if it wasn't for anakin...Sidious would not have taken over... and it would seem stupid for the prophecy guy to fullfill a prophecy after he was the cause of some of it. So there has to be a reason for him being part of the Jedi's extintion.

dmndleader
Definately Anakin.

Morridini
When I first saw they talking about the Prophecy in TPM I was thinking "They think it's Anakin, when it really must be Luke". Didn't anyone else think like that before GL said the opposite?

NoMeN
nop, sorry

Ushgarak
Anakin, as confirmed by GL, and much of theshakl's thoughts are EU and don't really, apply, and calling the Jedi's essential rules about love 'restricted'; in a pejorative sense is to totlaly miss the point of what GL is saying, which is also what Anakin did, which is why he went bad. That rule is there for damn good reason.

The Jedi did NOT have to be wiped out; that is ludicrous.

Dart Saber
i wanted to make this thread also.

it doesn't make any sense that anakin is the chosen one.

and dont tell me that the explanation is that he fullfilled the prophecy by kiling sidious in ROTJ, because i think it's stupid(i found that answer on the search buttonsmile )!

my view:

jedi = sith => balance;

before and in time of TPM:

jedi > sith => no balance;

anakin turns to the dark side and kills all the jedi except yoda and obi1:

2 jedi = 2 sith => balance???

if that was his purpose then it is soooo stupid;

if i am mistaken, please explain this to me, because it is bothering me so much smile. i need an answer.

but please some logical explanation!!!!

Jedi Priestess
Look, Lucas has made it plainly clear, it's Anakin. Just because some people dont like it that way doesnt mean its going to change to suit them. Time to accept it and move on.

Milosz006
I think it's Jar Jar, clearly. Without Jar Jar they never would have found Anakin and without Jar Jar Palpatine couldn't have gotten the power to declare war against the Sepratists. Therefor Jar Jar created Luke and the Empire.

Dart Saber
hehe.

@JP:

i now it's anakin, and it's ok by me, but i dont understand HOW!

did GL explain HOW is anakin the chosen one?

what actions made him the chosen one?

what did anakin do so we can say that he is the chosen one?

that is my question(s).

bilbofett
1) How? THe force (midichlorians) created him
2) we're gonna see ani really show his skill in Ep 3 in regard to flying, relexes & saber techniques, not to mention the pod race in TPM, the mind control of the reek in Ep 2, talk of saving Obi in Ep 2, etc....
3)In ROTJ he kills the emporer which is what brings the force back into balance. Luke is what prompted him to do it, but it was Anakin that ultimately destroyed Palps/Sids

ANAKIN IS THE CHOSEN ONE

Dart Saber
NO!
you dont understand my question!

what actions did he take to bring force back into balance?

i think that killing sidious to bring force back into balance is the wrong answer! ( and stupid also )

ok, so he turns and kills all the jedi, and all the kids, and he continues killing for 20 years, and at the end he kills 1 bad guy, and that is the chosen one??!?!?!

please!

Darth_Nefarus
That's the entire point though. Sidious may be one guy, but his presence is so terrifying and he has so much power he has corrupted the very force itself. His existence is a virus in the force, much similar to the whole Agent Smith thing in the Matrix.
Anakin is the chosen one because even though he became pure evil and did all of those terrible things, he still managed to love and care for someone to the point that he gave his life for them, and he did that for Luke in Return of the Jedi.

theshakl
I see what u mean about anakin killing paps being stupid..thats why it is my theory that the jedi needed to be killed as well...

cause you know....Anakin and other jedi might have killed paps if he didn't turn to the dark side in the first place...

Dart Saber
well, whatever, what can u do..i still think it's stupid.

the chosen one becomes evil, and at the end, he does one thing, and that makes it all ok, thousand of lives he took, corruption, power, death, destruction...

the ot was so much better, and i think that GL has ran out of ideas because of his obsession with digital effects( but that is for some other thread, i wouldnt want to start it nowsmile )

thanks you for your opinnions

Jedi Priestess
Well I wouldnt say everythin's peachy at the end of ROTJ. Had Vader lived he would have most certainly had to stand trail for his crimes. But that's EU which does not pertain to canon. Honestly, he's the chosen one because that's how Lucas wrote him. By killing the Sith Lord running the show and turning back to the light side himself, he effectively wipes out the entire Sith population. SEE?

mtryder
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does being being the Chosen one say anything about him being a fair, balanced, or even particularly good person? Being the Chosen one, in my eyes, doesn't mean anything at all, except that he was chosen to bring balance to the force, by killing Sidious. His actions before then are completely irrelevant as far as the Prophecy goes. All that matters is that he completes his part by restoring the balance.

Dart Saber
when mace, obi1 and yoda talk about him in ep2 it sounds like they assume that he has to be good and that it is foretold in the prophecy
(and it's probably jedi prophecy, not sith prophecy smile )

mtryder
Yeah, the key being your last sentence. I think they saw what they wanted to see, in that. The force is ambivalent, and makes no such distinctions.

ArthasKnight
Does anyone else think that Lucas confirming things takes away some of the fun? Speculating and all that seems way more fun that being told something is a certain way. Not that I mind you telling me JP, don't take that the wrong way, I'm just saying that I think it'd be better if he didn't confirm so much and left more for us to speculate.

darth eddie
Hi everyone im new here but i have had a theory for a while but im not sure if its valid or not but is it a possibility that anakin brought balance to the force by having luke

mtryder
then Padme and Anakin would be the Chosen Two, which doesn't sound nearly as cool.

bilbofett
Anakin IS the chosen one. He brings balance to teh force by killing teh Emporer. Why is this even being debated?

AntniEllison
bloody hell am sick of this topic!!!!

Anakin IS the chosen one!

Anakin was the first ever jedi to go to the dark side and come back to the light side. Also he wiped out the sith which means there can be no more sith EVER! maybe Dark Jedi but not sith. also he got rid of the old stubborn way of the jedi n luke created the new strong jedi order anakin cleared the path so the new jedi order cud grow. i think the dark side is the inbalace only when the force is completely light is when its in Balance

Thats wat i think anyway

Jedi Priestess
Actually no, as there is enough stuff being debated to death already. wink

Ushgarak
This is bang on the point. Anakin completed his destiny as the Chosen One; this does not make everything he did right- he just did what he could do.

The entire point is that the Jedi are not 100% sure about how the Chosen One will work, and as it is, it all goes horribly wrong. But it didn't HAVE to go horribly wrong, it just would have been a far more boring story if it didn't.

So sorry if you do not like it, Dart, or think it is stupid- but that is the way it is. There is NO literal Jedi/Sith balance. Destroying the Jedi had NOTHING to do with bringing balance- simply him becoming evil, and the imbalance becoming worse. The Sith ARE the imbalance. Destroying them- both Sidious AND himself- removes that imbalance.

End of story with any luck for the last time.

Dart Saber
w

Dart Saber
wow...

well you are the moderator,if you say it's over,then it's over, and you have no argument from me.

thanks for the explanation

Captain REX
Well, it is a prophecy after all. It didn't say how or when this would happen, but it happens nonetheless. Anakin DOES bring balance to the Force, even if it means killing everyone and himself in the end.

ArthasKnight
Ah, see (if you're right that is) then this certainly clears things up. I was never really sure what it meant to bring the Force into balance. I figured it meant the same number of good and bad guys. That's why the end of ROTJ never made sense to me 'cause I'm like "Hey, there's one good guy and no baddies...."

So to bring the Force into balance, just the Sith had to be destroyed, not all the Jedi?

Jedi Priestess
Correct

ArthasKnight
Cool, that definitely helps with my confusion.

jimmy986
the reason i think it was just the sith that had to be killed is b/c the force is something that i there for good not evil. the sith have just distorted and perverted it.true balance of the force is returning it to its rightful place of letting it control flow through all living things and what not without trying to bend it to your will entirely.

i also have a question about the nature of sith. in KOTOR it says that the sith species are extinct. they were a species who eventually intermarried with exiled jedi and became extinct. the sith of today are simply followers of an idea. is this canon or just EU stuff. if so what are the ideals if not then what makes you a sith just being evil?

mtryder
1- It's EU stuff
2- The force is neither good nor evil. It is completely ambivalent. The Jedi are not "one" with it because of the ends to which they use it, but because of how they use it. Rather than trying to control, force, and manipulate it, the Jedi embrace it and accept its power.

.:Space Opera:.
so when they brought anikan in front of the council they said that his future was 'clouded.' when things start going to shit by the time of ROTS do you think that yoda and some of the jedi know that their deaths are something that has to happen? yoda could start to see by ROTS that ani's future does have good in it, but is confused by what he is doing to the jedi. this could be the reason why he hides on deg. because he wants to see the outcome of vader. he feels that he is somehow still relevant to the outcome of things but doesnt know how or why. He starts to trust in qui gons prediction (maybe because he has a small scene with his ghost or something) he knows he must do one last thing before he dies but doesnt know what it is, so he hides and waits for it to come to him on deg.

what do you think?

smoker4
Yep Space Opera!

Yes yoda knows more than he lets on, those little bits in AOTC like when padme falls out off the ship and anakin and obi are arguing and he has that look on his face and of course the tusken bit...I think he knows that ani is going to fall but that isnt the end of the jedi... and like you said there is also the possible qui-gon force ghost in ROTS

he senses that ani is going to fall, but knows there's still hope. a new one at that.

smoker4
thumb up

the end.

smoker4
big grin

whitewookie
i dont see it mentioned in any post in this topic so far, so kick me in the royal derriere if im repeating whats already been mentioned. But isn't the 'prophecy' that the chosen one will destroy the dark lord of the sith, and therefore destroy the dark lords apprentice.

Anikan (the chosen one), in the end DOES kill palps, and in doing so sacrafices himself, killing the dark lords apprentice (himself)! Bringing the force sharply back into balance by destroying the most intense and pure evil in the entire force!

Also i see people are generalising the force by just force users. Everything exists in the force. So balance preserved is not just there are more jedi, more sith, its whether dark or light sways the universe! Good prevailed over the universe in ep1 (jedi solving all evil, the republic solving problems peacfully) so out of balance. Then in ep 4-5-6, dark side held sway (empire in control, corruption, smuggling, hutts), so universe still unbalanced. Then after both our dark lords are destroyed in ep6 the universe is back in balance because the only dark/light good/evil things going on are the general things going on in the universe. Good people bad people good deeds bad deeds!

Of i cud be talking about my ass, but there we are.

NoFate007
It is ridiculous to be saying that the force is in balance when there are 2 Jedi and 2 Sith. First of all, how stupid would that be, having 2 people to protect the galaxy? Second, Vader destroys the Emperor and he dies himself, so at the end of ROTJ there is Luke and that's it, so in less than 20 years, the Force is back out of balance? Once again, ridiculous.

My theory has always been that the Force is in balance when there are the Jedi and the Dark Jedi. If you think about it, the Dark Jedi are a separate "sanction" albeit not in an order or distinguished group, than the Sith. There is a good Force side, the Jedi. There is an evil Force user side, the Dark Jedi. And then there is another evil side, the Sith. Thats 2 evil sides and 1 good side. By destroying the Sith, Anakin makes it an even (or BALANCED) 1 vs 1 fight. The Force is evenly spread, 50/50 instead of 33/33/33 or what have you.

mtryder
No. Jedi have absolutely nothing to do with imbalance. At all. Scratch that idea. The Jedi's job is to preserve the balance. If they were an imbalance, then that would be pretty self defeating, wouldn't it? Anakin brings balance to the force by destroying those who would bring imbalance to it- the Sith.

its not like youre weighing to different things guys. the council talked about a balance in the force which is just from their lightside perspective.

Ushgarak
Yes... could we please all read the thread before coming up with ideas that have already been discredited, thanks? The idea that good has to balance against bad is NOT what this plot is all about. Evil is imbalance, the Sith are the epotome of evil, the evil must be destroyed. Good is balance, the Jedi promote the good, whilst they are in power the balance is maintained.

Why on Earth would the Jedi be WANTING to get the Chosen One to succeed if his job would be to make evil more powerful than it is at the time of the Prequel films? That's the big logical flaw pursuants of this 'literal balance' nonsense ignore. It is of course nonsense; they want him to succeed because he is going to destroy the Sith. If he gets it right.

NoFate007
The debate I think is more about, if it is the Force that controls things, and it is Anakin's destiny to destroy the evil, why did the Force allow all of the Jedi to be slaughtered?

Ushgarak
Because I think the Force itself is morally neutral- else evil guys would not be able to make use of it.

Anakin CAN destroy the evil, if he accepts that part of his destiny. The Force isn't making him do it, it is just saying he can.

mtryder
The Force doesn't govern every waking moment of Anakin's life. It has set the end of the path for him- his destiny, which is to destroy the Sith- but along the way he DOES possess free will.

Think of it like the story of Oedipus. The Oracle of Delphi said that he would kill his dad and marry his mom. Everything possible was done to prevent it, and all that did was change the circumstances in which the destiny was fulfilled. Anakin is the same way. He could stay on the light side and destroy the Sith, or become a Sith and destroy the Sith. It doesn't matter, and the Force doesn't care. Either way, he destroys the Sith.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.