FINALLY found the GL quote on the Living vs. Unifying Force....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
I said, a very long time ago, that I would quote what GL had to say about the difference between the Living Force and the more general Force we hear about in the later films. I don't know why, but I kept forgetting to find the darn thing. Anywayt, here it is:

"The overriding philosophy in Episode I - and in all the Star Wars movies, for that matter - is the balance between good and evil. The Force itself breaks into two sides: the living Force and a greater, cosmic Force. The living Force makes you sensitive to other living things, makes you intuitive, and allows you to read other people's minds, et cetera. But the greater Force has to do with destiny. In working with the Force, you can find your destiny and you can choose to either follow it, or not."

Well, make of that what you will...

Bantha Fodder
So in other words, if a person is not well endowed with a high midi-chlorian count, they are screwed. But if a person has a high midi-chlorian count, they can choose to seek out their fate, or ignore their destiny. blah blah blah.

Nice one, Lucas, make the force a hereditary trait that only an elite few have. Sorta like royalty blood lines. That's a real fair view of the world.

Ushgarak
You mean force potential, not Midi-Chlorian count. Your count is determined by how powerful you are with the Force.

Well, we always knew that only a very few people had the Force.

peluffo
Forget it Ush. I'm following this guy long time ago. He just is picking fights, saying provocative things all over the forum. Take care of this kind.

Ushgarak
Well, we'll see.

Actually, we don't know for sure that the Force is hereditary, do we? Luke is hardly a typical example.

ToMacco
I can hear Lucas's voice while reading that quote. rolling on floor laughing

yerssot
I always wondered that if it's hereditary... why don't we see a bunch of Yoda's family as Jedi's?

Julie
Interesting quote.... living vs unifying...hmmm...that'll open Pandora's box wink

yerssot
and open that theory on aldera.net again

Ushgarak
To be fair, GL doesn't actually use the word 'Unifying', he says 'cosmic'.

queeq
Yes, he doesn't use that word at all! Unifying says that it serves of uniting purpose.... following a destiny might be quite the opposite. So where did that "unifying" word come from in relation to the Force?

Ushgarak
At first I thought it was just fan-based talk, absed on what Obi-an and Yoda said in the OT.

But it is called that on sw.com as well.

yerssot
do you a url where that quote can be found?

Ushgarak
And the point of that would be?

yerssot
that I can read the original quote

peluffo
to avoid "interpretations", yerss???? evil face

Ushgarak
Which I have given you in full.

yerssot
yeah, ok, I don't trust you stick out tongue

master harmax
There are great saints in India who r like real life jedi ... Lucas has borrowed a lot of concepts from eastern spiritual traditions in the star wars saga.

Out here, in these parts, the force is not some mystical sci fi concept. Its accepted by everyday people en masse as a fact of the universe.

One of the precepts of the spiritual traditions of india is the concept of the impersonal god ... that is ... god is formless,nameless, all pervading, omnipresent, omniscient, and all knowledge, existence, bliss. One of the main precepts is : God cannot be described in words ... once u KNOW ... have the realization of God ... u know. That experience cannot be described in words; it can only be experienced.

One of the loftiest concepts is that of the soul and its identity with god ... the precept that we are not the body or the mind or the emotions ... that this is unreality and an illusion. The reality is that there is no " we " even ... that there is one soul ... whatever name u call it by ... whether god, the force, the oversoul ... or whatever. This soul takes on various forms ... in various bodies ... this whole universe, space, time, matter, living beings etc.etc.etc. all these things are just external manifestations of that soul ... in other words we are not bodies ( refer Yoda in ESB ) ... we are souls ... and qualitatively the individual soul is the same as the oversoul i.e. god. As for example ... on the one hand u have a glass of water and the other the ocean ... obviously the glass of water is not the same as the ocean in terms of quantity; but qualitatively it is the same ... and if u were to empty that glass of water in the ocean ... the difference is removed ... there is only one not two.

Applied to us, what this is means is; we are the soul; not the body; i.e. the water not the glass. And it is possible to merge the individual soul into the oversoul. When that happens all unreality and illusion dissappears; there is only one; no two.

The great saints of India, who are like real life jedi ... have done this. They do not identify themselves as bodies with names. They realize that this is unreality and illusion.They have achieved the genuine realization that they are the soul; that the same soul is the true reality of every living being; and everything else in the universe; and the universe itself. And that that soul is the same as the oversoul; god; the force; etc.etc.

A by product of this self/god realization is; they have powers in real life much like the jedi; reading minds, and other force tricks are nothing to them. You could cut of their arm and it wouldn't affect them a bit. Because they are no longer under the illusion that they are the body. They have the genuine realization that they are the soul, which is all pervading, omni present omni scient, formless nameless etc. which cannot be cut, burnt, or wettened etc.etc.

I highly reccomend a book : The Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramhansa Yogananda, who was one such great master from India, a real life jedi, who lived and taught in USA from 1920 to 1952.

Its one of the top 100 best sellers of the 20th century. And its minblowing.

yerssot
sorry to say this harmax, don't want to offend you, .. but can you repeat that in ONE phrase please?

master harmax
difficult ... lessee .... The force is real, not just sci fi ... there are jedis in real life ... masters of the force. And sith lords too .... those who use their power with the force for evil ....

And u can read all about it in the book Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramhansa Yogananda, a book which u should be able to get quite easily, because it is one of the top 100 bestsellers of the 20th century.

smile

yerssot
cool

LanceWindu
Really? But do they call it the Force?

yerssot
I'm not sure, but I think they don't

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.