Something ive been thinking...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

axiom
Does it seem probable that the earth and all of the planets that exist are nothing but cells in a mechanism or thing that we will never detect or know about? What if in each one of our cells there are billions of little universes of things that are self aware and wonder the same questions we do? There has been photographic evidence of whole universes interacting with eachother, what if we are just a tiny insignificant process in something much more great? What do you think am I crazy?

Lord Soth
Anything's possible

finti
ok someone been smoking something they shouldnt have? wink

Evil Dead
axiom........good thinking. I have often thought of this. I must point out that "photographic evidence of universes interacting" is completely wrong though..........there is only one known universe. While your science may be off, your philosophy is dead on.

It is quite possible that our universe is simply a cell in a larger mechanism...........but we would never know it if it were.

finti
yeah well key word here is known

Dexx
when you speak of planets and the like..you reffer to their smallest subdivison as an ATOM. NOT cells. cells are in living beings.
and...researcehrs pretty much know how fast an electron spins around it's nucleus within an atom. so....apart from cold fusion.....they really know what's what with atoms. faitylike worlds and universes are what you find in "men in black" lockers.

Evil Dead
1. finiti.......ofcourse that's the key word. my point was that the guy has been given incorrect information as no other universes have been photographed.......moreso even proven to exist.

2. Dexx.......you're thinking small. This could never be proven scientificly and would be laughed at if even seriously suggested because so.......so we will keep this purely philosophical.....abstract thinking.

We have no idea how large our universe is.......our universe could very well be a living cell.......hell.....our universe may be a living multi-cell organism......or even an advanced, intelligent multi-cell organism that we are such a small insignificant part of that we will never know. Hell......our universe may be an amoeba size structure part of a much greater world.....with our galaxy and all others we know of being so small that relative to our world, they wouldn't even be able to be seen with the most poweful microscope in existence. The possibilites are limitless.

I fail to see how your "researcehrs pretty much know how fast an electron spins around it's nucleus within an atom. so....apart from cold fusion.....they really know what's what with atoms." line has to do with anything. I have not seen anyone in this thread even bring the subject up.

try to stop thinking so small in the philosophy forum........anything is possible in philosophy. Science only deals with the known universe......anything above or beyond that is pure speculation and open to any theories or queries. no offense but it makes you seem kind of smug.........that you believe humans to be the epitome of life.....that you believe our known universe to be all there is to know when realisticly it could be the size of a tic-tac floating in the ocean. Remember.......nothing revolves around us....we're just parasites on one tiny rock, one of billions....or trillions of tiny rocks floating in a universe that is only limited by imagination..........and that's not even taking into account what could be out there beyond our universe. Our universe itself could merely be a parasite on one tiny rock, one of billions or trillions of tiny rocks floating in an existence only limited by imagination........and so on, and so on.

If all you know or care of is science, you're in the wrong forum......atleast the wrong thread. As mentioned earlier....science only pertains to our known universe........and even there it lacks explanations for events we know occur (spooky affect, mentioned in another thread)...........once you enter the realm of imagination of what lies beyond our known universe, science is null and void as you can't even attempt to explain what you don't even know of.

dean7879
finti has trouble keeping an open mind..which is fair enough

Dexx
pffft...if you'd be kind enough to point where the philosophy is in this debate...then i submit. that not being the case, tough..

this is just a piece of fairy imagination.
"oh..what IF....what appears to be so big to us..is in fact so little to another." because that's what this whole bubble cell..tic-tac thing is.
how our universe would seeem when raported to a different observer..which would see it as we see a cell or a tic-tac.

doubting everything does not constitute a philosophy.

Evil Dead
"Something ive been thinking...
Does it seem probable that the earth and all of the planets that exist are nothing but cells in a mechanism or thing that we will never detect or know about?"

those are the very first words of the post. The originator of this thread poses a non-scientific question asking for people's non-scientific opinions about a subject that science could not even begin to be used to explain. you do know what "philosophy" and "philosophical" mean right?

I understand none of that. I understand that English may not be your first language.....but please try to restate.

he nor I have doubted anything. please explain. science has never offered up boundaries, parameters or even an explanation of the very nature of our universe........much less what may or may not lie outside of it. If an answer hasn't been offered up, how could it be doubted?

Napalm
Iv'e hered the pheory before that the universe is a mere spec inside of another universe

FeceMan
That's a pretty interesting theory, kind of like the ending to MIB 2.

moviejunkie23
well even if you want to look at this with science why not? You can use science as a tool to gauge how likeley the question is. To me you can look at the microscopic cells and watch them carry on and do there jobs in their own little universe. If you were in the "eye" of a white blood cell the human body would be the universe. All of those billions of cells make up that universe that is you.

So with the universe how do we not know its not just a "microscopic" part of something much larger? how far can it possibley go?

and that makes me think something humorous as well. I hate to sound like agent smith off of matrix but think of this for a minute. IF we can get off this rock and multiply even more and more and suck up all the resources around the universe and expand and expand farther and farther and adapt and adapt to more and more conditions with our science and technology and eventually consume and spread to who knows what end woudn't that make the human being a bit like a virus ???? Look at the universe as if its part of something bigger. a "body" of something so to speak. is there any possible way that after we clear everything usable out of this universe after eons of time it would take us (or seem to take us) and then after that move on to more and more universes this will disrupt the main "body" of what all those universes surved its purpose to? But in order to live the human being will have to expand larger and larger. What will happen to the larger thing that was made up of these universes??
think about that for awile haha

I think its a great question you had though axium I don't think your carzy at all man, good post

mailedbypostman
It might go on for infinity for all we know. But we don't think of this because what's the point if it's true? It's the whole why bother? arguement. It's like worrying whether a brick will fall on your head and you die tommorow, we can't worry, cause it won't be....aaargh!

MC Mike
There is so much that is possible our minds couldn't possibly comprehend. I could change your ideas just a bit and make a new theory with its own sub theories, and so forth. This is just one REALLY small chance.

peterKSL
The way you say it as if you don't have to worry of a meteor falling from the sky destroying your mama.....

Bardock42
Indeed you don't have to worry aboot that now, why should you?

moviejunkie23
its not worrying about it at all, its thinking of a the possibilities in wonder. whats wrong with that?

Evil Dead
agreed......I don't think anybody here is worried about it........just letting their imagination wander around the subject.

What is the meaning of life? there's no need to worry about it because we'll probably never know if there even is one and if there is, what it is.............doesn't harm anybody to ponder the question though.

frodo34x
*cough*42*cough*

jnolan
dont know if this has been said as i havent had time to read all the posts but watch the end of men in black 1, i often have thought the same thing, jeez as if we werernt insignificant enough as it is, lol

Bardock42
*cough*frodo'sright42*cough*

Bardock42
well actually if we were a part of a bigger organism we would be more significant than we are now wouldn't we?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.