Should Sidious duel?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darth eddie
well i know every one is getting excited about the reported duel between yoda and sidious but for some reason i cant seem to get excited about it. I know that sidious is the strongest sith alive but i dont think that he should duel. sidious doesn't strike me as the kind of person who puts himself in a situation where he could be hurt. i always saw him as a coward of sorts who would rather have others do the work than get his own hands dirty. well anyways i just wanted to hear everyone's opinion.

LandoSpeeder
Well the fact is he does.

And you could have posted this in any other thread about Sidious.

No offence.

lucasfilm
what the hell kind of question is this????? of course he should
show his power!!!!

Jedi Priestess
No. Id like to think he and Yoda are "above" the need to saber duel IMO.

mtryder
I agree. I think the duel is a stupid idea too. IMO, it would have been better to leave who is the more powerful of the two unresolved. It made for good speculation, and it seems unnecessary anyways

Darth Subjekt
"good speculation"? When something is NOT answered, you people complain and say that GL is losing his touch and needs to go back and answer or explain things, but when it comes to somethign as important as to WHY Yoda, the supposed most powerful Jedi, is in hiding, you want to speculate? Im not trying to come off "holier than thou", but this is a very important fight. I agree that they should go back and forth with powers for a while before going to sabers, but i, no, we need to both of them duel. So far, we havent seen ANYTHING that displays why either of them have their respected reputations. You'll say "yoda vs Dooku", ill say, he cant even beat his own apprentice, and youll say, Look what Palps did to Luke." and ill say Look how easily Vader just hurled his wrinkled ass over the rail. So this is more than needed, IMHO. Please try to see it my way, and im very interested in seeing your POV's. Again, i wasnt trying to be a dick, just saying wats on my mind and what i see.

Sith Master X
Of course he needs to duel. ROTS wouldn't be complete unless Yoda and Sidious cross blades. We've already seen Palpidious in action with force lightning in ROTJ, which I'm sure we'll see again in ROTS, but we have yet to see his skills with a lightsaber. That should be awesome.

izz316
yeah we need to show why yoda is afraid of sidous. We need to know what yoda meant ' don't underestimate the powers of the emperor.

Sith Master X
Exactly.

NoMeN
i agree JP

Sith Master X
But don't you think it'd be incomplete not to see Palpy with a saber? The core to SW has always been the lightsaber fights, and not being able to see the ultimate villain in the SW universe weild a saber just wouldn't seem right to me.

Darth_Nefarus
I just think it would be interesting to see someone that could kick Yoda's ass. I just never thought anyone but Vader could do it, but now I get to see it along with the true powers of the Emperor. I mean ROTJ was sweet, and he looks intimidating and all, but we need to see why he was powerful enough to cloak his presence from the Jedi. We need to see what a true Sith Lord can do.

Jedi-Knight 8k2
Sidious dose duel as seen in the TEASER footage and I to think seeing Yoda defated would be powerful.

Darth Subjekt
we all know that he fights. Thats not the debate, the debate is if you think he SHOULD fight....not WILL he fight.

XX Emperor XX
I can see how some people feel Sidious or Yoda shouldn't fight, but at the same time I don't see anything wrong with it they both have light-sabers for a reason they dont just use force powers. After seeing how bad-ass Yoda was in Ep.2 isn't time to see the most feared Sith of all time how bad-ass he can get?

Sith Master X
Good point.

mtryder
Yeah, I agree with JP definitely. It just doesn't seem right. Doesn't fit the characters. And Yoda isn't necessarily afraid of Sidious. He simply recognizes that he has a definite amount of strength, and one that he fully realizes that Luke alone will have no chance at handling. After all, if the greatest Jedi Master alive couldn't defeat him, then how will Luke as barely more than a Padawan?

That statement does not show that Yoda is afraid of Sidious, and does not make it necessary that Sidious will even "win" at all.

Red Superfly
Well, seeing Sidious fight will help solidify both Vader and Luke as ass kickers later on.

Put it this way, the Emperor was worried Luke could destroy both him and Vader. Vader also defeated Sidious and Luke withstood a barrage of Force Lightning from him. Now when we see this guy pretty much hand Yoda his ass on a plate, it will show how Luke and Vader compare respectively.

To be honest, I was hoping the inevitable Palps vs Yoda confrontation would have been Force only. I also wish this was the ONLY time we got to see Yoda fight. I hate the fact that we've already seen Yoda fight in Episode II, which was detrimental to all characters involved (made Dooku, Obi and ANi look like 3 complete tools when Yoda did his fanboy dance). They should have saved Yoda's skills for III and III alone, to be honest.

It would have been really better if we DIDN'T know Yoda was a saber user. Sidious confronts him, attacks him, and in complete defense Yoda pulls out his saber. That at least would have been special.

But, we know Yoda and Sidious are gonna do the whole square-off thing again. Pretty mundane. I'm sure the fight will be brilliant eye candy, but I do wish they settled it with JUST The Force, but, oh well.

I always pictured Vader as the "hands" and Emperor as the "brain". The fact Sidious wields a lightsaber with greater force than Vader himself will prove to make Vader a bit redundant, which I fear most of all for the saga. This fight has to be done carefully as to not to harm the entire series.

Milosz006
Yoda is not hiding because he is afraid of Sidious. If Yoda's location was revealed to the Emperor would he go to Dagobah himself to kill Yoda? NO. He would just send Vader and a garrison of Stormtroopers or have a SD nuke the planet from orbit.

Agree with Superfly, if either Yoda or Sidious would fight I think it should be only in Episode III and only with each other, although I could have lived without seeing either of them wield a saber.

Red Superfly
That's exactly how I feel.

Having a Force battle would define Sidious and Yoda as true Masters of the Force. It would have a "beyond mere Jedi" as we the two most powerful polar opposites of the force clash like titans.

I'm kinda undecided to be honest. I dunno whether or not to actually LIKE the fact Sidious and Yoda wield lightsabers, as it brings them back in line and proves that they aren't God-like and are still on the same level as the likes of Vader, Obi-Wan and Windu, and maybe that actually helps Obi-Wan and Vader's characters because they still seem powerful next to them. What I mean is, maybe having a Force-only fight isn't what is best for the MAIN characters (Obi and Ani) because a Force-only fight between Sidious and Yoda may show lightsabers in a negative light, and therefore have a detrimental effect on all the lightsaber fights so far.

Having Yoda and Sidious fight with sabers means that even the best of the best need them - and I think having them duel in classic Star Wars style will have a positive outcome for all the lightsaber duels in the series. It will make lightsabers look like the be-all-and-end-all of a duel and prove that no matter how good you are, there's nothing better than a saber to back yourself up.

I have no qualms about them using lightsabers, I just hope that Yoda doesn't do his rediculous dance like in Episode II. If he does, I for one will certainly cheer when Sidious knocks him out of the ballpark.

darth eddie
thats exactly my thoughts as well sidious is very hands off. hes more like a chess player in my opinion he sees the enemy forces and sends troops where he needs them he doesnt do any dirty work. In ROTJ he knows the rebels are attacking the shield generator but does he go to stop them? no he sends an extra garrison to ambush them.

Red Superfly
Well if Yoda wasn't around, then I think Sidious would do absolutely nothing BUT command troops around.

The fact that Yoda needs to be killed means that only Sidious has the power to do that. Obviously he thinks he kills Yoda but is obviously mistaken. Once he "knows" Yoda is dead, he knows there is nobody strong enough to challenge him.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.