Question

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

fini
Ok i have read a lot of what you people say in here and from what anyone can obviously see that this is a " christian" dominated discussion area.

A lot of peeple come up to me and ask me if i've read the bible( you know hinting that it would save me......whatever)

WELL my QUestion is that have any of you read the sacred texts of OTHER RELIGIONS???? You know like the Koran, Ramayan, etc etc

I say instead of listening to other people's view's on different religions, cant we all form our own opinion on other people's beliefs by reading their inspiration sources????

AND DONT SAY THAT ur religion forbids it. WE all worship the same GOD, the only difference is in the way we worship and stuff.( well i not getting into atheism now, but you guys are ok)

Imperial_Samura
Hmmm. Its been a good while since I read the bible, but my uni courses often require a good amount of reading, so I have read much of the Koran (or however you wish to spell it), texts related to Hindu beliefs and some other more fragmentary sources...

Lord Soth
I have studied, to some length at least, the Qu'ran, the Torah, the Bible, and various onther religious texts, for the exact reason you stated: to understand them and avoid being ignorant

Imperial_Samura
Yes, it is a good thing, I think, to expand ones mind, and take a look at important texts relevant to other cultures. Still, I wish there was more opportunities to bring up the Ancient Egyptian mortuary texts in conversation.

finti
does Playboy count

Imperial_Samura
Well, religion is what you make it, so sure. It is very.... expressive.... of its culture. big grin

fini
LOL Finti, you can read playboy anytime you want to man

finti
yeah and the "topography" pictures is nice too

fini
hehe, well look how you're gonna make me get distracted from my thread.

Yeah, u know some people like Pictures when they read. WEll at least i can say they are somewhat tastefully done.

finti
yeah evil face

Bardock42
I think someone should <enter the forum with a name like fni or fii or fin
and someone called fninti that wsould be funny, oh yeah that was off topic aI read a bit of the cKoran and a bit of the biblew mostly OT though.

finti
smuckdock would be cool too

Bardock42
smucgod too-er

fini
argh you guys killed my thread.

big gay kirk
I've read.... Bible, Koran, Popul Vuh, several of the Sutras, kebra negast, Bhagavhad Gita, the book of the Hopi, the book of Mormon, parts of the Mishrad, the Talmud, and the Qabbalah.... several buddhist and Taoist scriptures... and several more... but then, religion is a hobby of mine....

Bardock42
Big gay kirk revived it

frodo34x
Since when?

finti
since most threads is more or less about christianity

frodo34x
Maybe, but most of the people seem to be Atheist. At very most a 50-50 split.

Storm
Atheist or agnostic smile

frodo34x
Yea, sorry bout that, I wasn't thinking and lumped atheists and agnostics together. Sory bout that.

Bardock42
**** agnostics they are even worse than christians

MC Mike
Storm is one.

BackFire
Why?

Bardock42
NAh actually I myself am one so I just wanted to see if I get bashed I mean when I say that aboot christians they would all start crying and scream at me.

I like the grandson of the guy who first coined the word agnostic, he wrote a good book

ushomefree
Fini

There are false religions and true religions.

The Holy Bible has about 25,000 original manuscripts. The second in line is Homer's Liad, which contains roughly 600 original manuscripts. I may be off slightly, but nothing compares to the Holy Bible! Further more, the Holy Bible is the ONLY religious book that contains prophecy. So far, over 600 Bible prophecy has been confirmed by secualr history and archeology. Only 3 remain un-confirmed. Still, that doesn't mean that it didn't happen, we just have no record of it.

The remaining 400 so propehcy deal with the "end times", so obviously time is needed for them to develope.

No other religious books has such claims and facts!

Most religious books were written 500 to 1,000 years after the historical claims in the books. None were proven by they way. However, the New Testament (dealing with the Messiah Jesus Christ) was written 30 to 50 years after His death. Very fast for ancient times!

Islam teaches that it's followers should kill those that fail to convert to Allah, and that the only SURE WAY to Heaven is to die as a martyr, hence, suicide bombers and the 9/11 terrorists! Wow, pretty scary stuff. Note that most of it's original manuscripts are lost! Unlike the Bible, having a commanding lead at almost 25,000!

In short, different religions DO NOT worship the SAME God in another way. The different religions worship a DIFFERENT Gods altogether! It's imperative that you study. It's obvious to me that you have not. I'm not being rude.

And, I'm not down grading Muslims! I'm relaying what your religious book "the Koran" teaches.

This has been confirmed with Muslims, that converted to Christianity. They said in short, that Christianity was a breath of fresh air.

Fire
bits and parts of the Koran but not the entire thing. That's why I'm taking World Religions at uni next year

Fire
Ok I personally now several Muslims and the parts of the Koran I have read didn't preach Violence.
every book is open for interpretation including your precious bible.
Do you even have any idea what the Jihad is really about?

ushomefree
Yes, the JiHad is about serving Allah. Hence, killing persons that DO NOT obey or conform to Allah. Terrorists in the Middle East are not trying to get weekend kicks out of blowing themselves up and crashing into buildings. They do it for Allah!

And it's a shame... they are so deceived.

According to the Koran, dying as a martyr GUARANTEES eternity in Heaven with 40 virgin servants!

Fire
The Jihad (which translates into holy war) is NOT ABOUT killing people. The Jihad is about the war that every muslim must fight within himself. To adhere to the rules and regulations of the Koran and the Islam. and before you start NO, NOT ABOUT killing every non-muslim. About respecting the 5 pilars of the Islam, Making the pelgrimage to Mekka once in your life. Not to drink Alcohol and so forth.

If you would have talked with a few muslims about the Koran you would have come to that conclusion.

I am not saying there are no people who have twisted the words of the Koran for the benefit of their political agenda. But at the core the Koran and the Islam are NOT ABOUT KILLING PEOPLE

finti
all religions are true religions, the problem lays with what the religious believe

explain why not all of the scriptures that described jesus life and teaching was permited in to the NT, and the time when the gospels were written is not really known. I know a lot of chrisitans says what was mentioned here 30 - 50 years after the death of this jesus dude, but it is when they believe they were written not an established fact

big gay kirk
The Bible is not the only book which contains prophecy... if I remember correctly, several Babylonian books contain prophecy, although the Christians tend to label it fortune telling.... and as for the Bible's prophecies being confirmed by history etc... generally they have been "confirmed " by Christian historians etc who have a vested interest... and thirty to forty years after is "very fast" for the times.... come on... numerous Greek biographies were written as the person involved lived... Julius Caesar's books were published almost before the ink dried.... and lets be honest, within those thirty-odd years, the Nazarene Congregation (as it called itself) was already split into the James and John faction and the peter faction....and the former totally rejected saul of Tarsus (St Paul) until they were very strapped for cash....

ushomefree
Fire

I'm well aware of the Five Pillars and the journey to Mecca. Everything you said was true. Also, the Koran does not teach mass murder. I understand that. However, the Koran teaches a different method of obtaining eternal life in Heaven.

Stay with me here.

Islam does not teach salvation through grace like Christianity does. Muslims do not believe in the resurrection! Muslims are judged accordingly in regards to their deeds in life. If the good out weigh the bad, then they are saved, and have eternal life in Heaven with Allah. It's important to live a fruitful life as a Christian as well, but the determining factor is faith in Jesus Christ. In other words, being a sound moral perosn remains empty without faith in Christ... and so seperation from God is imminent.

The Koran DOES present scripture relating to a guaranteed passage to Heaven if one dies as a martyr. And the Koran DOES present scripture that refere to killing persons that don't conform to Allah. People would be barried up to their waists in sand and be STONED to death!

Your absolutely right in stating that it's NOT the core values of Islam. I agree with you. And for the record, NOT all Muslims are extreme in their beliefs. In fact, most Muslims are peaceful people. I didn't mean to paint a negative picture of Muslims in general.

I apologize.

finti
and that differ from the christian ways how?

MC John 117
Wow.....I thought fini and finti were the same person. confused
Back to topic: I haven't even read the Bible completely......

finti
if you bother to look on a map the caribian and Norway is kind of far appart

MC John 117
Hey.....I only checked your usernames'.....chill

finti
and if you were able to read they aint the same

MC John 117
wacko
Wow, I almost "liked" you.

finti
you know you really do deep inside

MC John 117
stick out tongue

big gay kirk
well, officially.... according to the Bible, it doesn't matter what you do in life, as long as you repent, that is feel reaaaalllll sorry about it..... in other words, take two cases... first, a man who does nothing wrong in his whole life except steal a packet of sweets aged four... he can't even remember doing it.... the second, a mass rapist and child molester who repents just before he dies... in Islam, the first goes to heaven, the second to hell.... in christianity, the first is damned, the second saved...

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by fini
.... WE all worship the same GOD, the only difference is in the way we worship and stuff.( well i not getting into atheism now, but you guys are ok) No we do not. The God of Christianity is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob (his name was later changed to Israel by God). Allah is the moong god. Buddah was just a man.

fini
OH YES THEY are

GO do some good reading for once in your life. Buddha is not seen as god in Buddhism, although he is considered as an incarnation of god, just like Jesus, Rama, Krishna etc

Allah may have been a moon god, but god takes many shapes and forms. IF a man is a teacher, a husband, a friend........ he is STILL THE SAME man, no matter which part you look at it. SAME GOES for god.

IT is one GOD that we all worship, its just because of cultural difference that God can take one form, a representative form( jesus), many forms.
ITs GOD , dont you think the being/spirit that created everything can take more than one form/shape at any given time???????
AND DONT GO quoting the bible, when the bible was written it was OUT OF FASHION to have multiple gods, they wanted it to be simple. They wanted to explain god in simpler terms as compared to the Romans, Egyptians etc.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive
No we do not. The God of Christianity is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob (his name was later changed to Israel by God). Allah is the moong god. Buddah was just a man.

So you say - and stop with the whole "Allah moon god" thing - if you wish to make that claim extend your study beyond the chick tracts and do some real history, and you will discover it is not nearly as clear cut as Chick makes out.

And to be perfectly honest when you have a number of figures who advocate similar things, and the only difference is the way in which it is approached, it is far to say they might stem from the same source. Or that they might share origins - Jesus is similar to Buddha.

Or they might all simply be a different facate of the same whole. I have said it before, and I will say it again - I don't know how a person can believe so totally in something like Christianity, despite everything, yet be so resistant to the idea of groups with similar claims might have some validity or an equal chance of being correct. Is there really no room for reasonable doubt or open mindedness?

Atlantis001
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive
No we do not. The God of Christianity is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob (his name was later changed to Israel by God). Allah is the moong god. Buddah was just a man.

Siddharta Gautama is the man... buddha is the God. It is like Jesus and Christ.

Alliance
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
So you say - and stop with the whole "Allah moon god" thing - if you wish to make that claim extend your study beyond the chick tracts and do some real history, and you will discover it is not nearly as clear cut as Chick makes out.

WHile doing that study, you'll also find a greater case for Jesus being a Sun God than Allah being a Moon God.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Atlantis001
Siddharta Gautama is the man... buddha is the God. It is like Jesus and Christ.

However, Buddha is not a god. Buddha is the enlightened state of a human.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Alliance
WHile doing that study, you'll also find a greater case for Jesus being a Sun God than Allah being a Moon God.

And that would be quite sweet, I would like to see him find a way around that... unless he carries around an emergancy "Bible Quote It Kit" for those situations where valid doubt it cast.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.