what's bigger?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

eleveninches
What's bigger:
Infinity or Eternity.

moviejunkie23
infinite means something that is never ending. eternity means time that doesn't end. so its just infinity plus time equals eternity

Ytaker
He called it " The End Of Eternity". A group of time travellers called the eternals monitored 70000 centuries. They changed it to increase the average human happiness; for instance they removed part of a politicians car to stop a war. When it ended, Infinity began.

miahera
the word of eternity can mean just a long time like, "it's taking an eternity for that darn taxi to come!" big grin otherwise, I see them basically the same.

Bardock42
infinity can mean the same
"damn he got an infinite3 amoubnt of money"
or something.

eleveninches
eternity is an infinite amount of time.
But in reality, infinity doesnt exist except as an imagnary concept. If there was something that was infinite, then there is a paradox that occurs.
Lets say that object A is 2 metres long, and object B is 2000 metres long. If object C was an infinite number of metres long, then object A would be the same percentage of object C as object B is of object C. This would mean that (for the infinite object), object A and object B are the same length, which clearly is not true, as object B is 1000 times the length of object A.
Therefore, finite things cannot exist inside an infinite thing

Clovie
you can gain an infinity during eternity
so eternity

and no, i don't know what do i mean

Syren
That's good. I had to read that one sentence twice before it clicked embarrasment

T.M
Eternity = time without end
Infinity = Greater than any fixed counting number

so they can not be compared as one is for time and the other is for numbers, objects etc.

eleveninches
but they are both imaginary concepts, as there are finite amounts of time, and no finite things can exist within an infinite thing

Storm

eleveninches
Infinity cannot exist within a universe that has finate amounts of other things. It is a human concept that is often confused with an unlimited number.

Infinity >> Unlimited number

Infinity is by definition bigger than any number, so normal number methods and arithmatic should not apply to it.

Bardock42
I wonder why no one tsaid that yet.
MY PENIS
I am sorry that was off topic but the question just wanted that answer.
So you people may go on now.

Dreampanther
Infinity = Space
Eternity = Time

Time does not = Space
Therefore
you cannot compare Infinity to Eternity.

carnival_junkie
so...

where is the "your mom" selection?
i failed to see that as an option in this poll.

leonheartmm
actually, eternity is just an infinite amount of time, but infinite itself is not bound by nething, it could be time, space, apples, oranges, babes, movies, numbers or nethin. thas y infinite is greater

Ytaker
"In infinity years, infinity monkeys, working on infinity keyboards, would write the java code for HL3"

Infinity just means limitless fowards or backwards (in the future, past, and at both "ends" of a ruler). It isn't confined to time. It's also impossible for it to be in existence other than in mathematics:
Suppose I had infinity chocolate coins and I gave you all of them. You would have infinity, I would have none.
Suppose I gave you all the primes; you would have infinity chocolate coins, and so would I.
Suppose I gave you all the ones above twenty, I would have twenty and you would have none.
In the first, infinity-infinity=0. In the second, infinity-infinity=infinity, in the third, infinity-infinity=20.

Eternity means endless time. You might say "I'll love you for all eternity" or "I was waiting in the dentist's office for an eternity" (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/211559). It pertains to an endless future. This is likely and possible.

Eternity is long, infinity is equally long (infinite future AND past)

Storm
I disagree. Infinity is forward limited imo. An infinite amount of chocolate coins but started from one.

Fire
I have to agree with Storm

leonheartmm
actually, infinite has no beginning and no end

and y do u confine infinity to just space

Victor Von Doom
The terminology is faulty.

Eternity is infinite time.

brandino
does time mean anything to a tree or anything without thought
no Infinity and eternity is mans creation we could have made something completly different and thus the argument would have to be about that
philosophy is also mans creation all of philosophy is man made weve made the questions and philosophers are trying there damndest to find an answers..

brandino
damn straight Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

dread
They are intrinsically related, time/space is all the same. the siamese twins of physics......

blah blah blah...time for another smoke....

big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.