Review: Secret Window

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord Soth
I find myself agreeing with many of the critics.....Secret Window is a so-so movie...but Johnny Depp makes it good.

The plot goes like this...the movie opens with Morton Rainey (Depp) sitting in a car, and then he goes inside a Motel in which he finds his wife in 'flagrante delicto' with another man.

Then the opening credits roll, and we close in on a lakeside cabin, in which we find Mort asleep on the couch. There is a banging at the door, and it takes him a while to get up, but when he does, the man at the door wastes no time saying "You stole mah story." and the rest, as they say, is history.

The man, a Mississippi dairy farmer by the name of John Shooter, claims that Mort plagiarized a story he wrote. He then kills his dog (with a screwdriver though the throat sick), and much insanity ensues from there

It was an okay film, Johnny made it good, though

7/10

#1fan Sparrow
i started a thread like this before you but it got taken away by some one
thats not fair

LegolasLover411
I reccomend seeing it!!!!!

Lord Soth
In the Reviews forum? I doubt it, I ran a search before starting it

Even so, stop complaining about like a child

BOPRecruit 16
i saw secret window yesterday and i agree with lord soth in saying that the movie was so-so. it wasn't as scary or on the edge of your seat as i thought it would be, basing it from the trailers on tv. although it scared my friends, for some reason, i didn't find it scary at all. the movie was a bit confusing in the beginning, but as the story went on, everything made sense. gosh, morton rainey was kind of a slob with the messy hair and food and all, but perfectly understanble since he was going through a divorce.

about shooter and the guy who played him, joe tuturro. wasn't that guy in anger management? anyways...i thought his character in this movie was being so unreasonable into holding a grudge against morton and being stupid about it by trying to lay claim to work that was done before he did that story of his that he gave morton in the beginning. but at the end, his character made sense once morton was experiencing split personalities of himself. that part was kind of weird and seemed cheesy...anyways...

although i have never read or seen a movie based off of a stephen king novel, i do say this movie had a great story although it seemed like it was made on low budget. what intrigues me to get the book, is the way that stephen king portray's the dark side of people in his stories. how he can make them really twisted people and in yet a fantasy/horror style here and there. make them so demented.

i also agree with lord soth on that johnny depp did a great job in this movie. he brought humour to the story and was good at making himself seem psycho portrayed so perfectly. he's really good at that. that's what i like about johnny depp, he can brighten a character when he comes onto a project/movie. i hope that he gets into more thriller and action movies soon!

hmm...now to rate the movie. well, people weekly gave it two and half stars. eye gave it 3 stars. hot ticket gave it two nots. for thumb rating, it'd give it one up and one down, for it's only a so so movie. as for a star rating....hmm....i'd give it 3 and half stars. *but for a second i almost gave it four* 1 star for locations, 1 for actors, 1 for story, and 1/2 a star for understanding. the last star to a half star that i docked was for the lack in scene transitions and it's low budget like quality. yeah.

Lord Soth
thumb up excellent review, BOP

szhismine
i absolutely loved the movie. Johnny Depp was totally awesome. eek! love

great movie. big grin

claidisa_felton
does anyone know what uk certificate this has got?

BOPRecruit 16
what's a uk certificate? blink

Kes
You mean rating? I have no idea but its PG-13 in the US so.

BOPRecruit 16
was johnny depp wearing hair extentions or a wig in this movie? with his hair so messy and when he ran his fingers through his hair, it did look like it. i know that depp is known for having long hair most of the time...but still...

claidisa_felton
uk certificate. as in U, PG, 12A, 15, 18.
just wondering whether it was rated ova here yet.

Miss_bishie
I saw secret window and I have to say one thing..

It would be nothing without Johnny.

Like most Johnny films.. Johnny steals the show ^_^;;

Me? I suggest watching it.. I like the movie.. alot

Pirate_Girly
Not only was the movie good, it was actually spectacular. It kept be thinking and thinking and thinking, and I never really knew what was going to happen, nor did i know what was REALLY going to be the outcome of the story.
Johnny Depp played the role very remarkably and i Loved the way his hair was like halfway through the movie, when it was all stickin up.
John Shooter just happened to be Morton Rainey, or actually the character Morton created! And Being ...I guess you could say...a tad bit skitzo and obsessive compulsive at the same time, i guess you could say, *for he kept doing that one thing with his mouth, personally I thought he was just stretching his jaws*
The movie gets an 8/10 from me, and i hope to be seeing it again soon.

Orlando Bloom03
Johnny+Braces!!!

Ha I covered it myself!

Pirate_Girly
Jeeze im still thinking of Secret Window lol

Orlando Bloom03
Same.....All Steven King Books Have a Corn Field or Corn in them! Its weird!

claidisa_felton
not misery!!
soz that film absolutely rocks

Kes
Reviews only. There's a Secret window thread in Movie discussion, talk there.

Pirate_Girly
Im going back to see this movie whether it be the last thing i do or not lol.

Orlando Bloom03
You do that!

Pirate_Girly
I WILL!! *sticks tongue out* lol

BOPRecruit 16
towards the end of the movie, the scene where morton was going to attack his ex-wife (in this shooter state of mind), it reminded me of "the shinning.". with the writing all over the walls. does any of his other books have that?

Pirate_Girly
Now that i come to think of it, it kinda reminds me of that too..I saw the S.W book at the store and i yelled LOOK ITS SECRET WINDOW, JOHNNY!!! Lol..so when i go back im gonna have to get that book.

BOPRecruit 16
i bet you scared some customers at the store while you're at. laughing

Pirate_Girly
No...it was 6:40 in the morning..No customers, and just a few workers which were somewhere else.

BOPRecruit 16
gosh...someone could shoplift in that time! how long is the book?

Pirate_Girly
Im not sure exactlly, it wasnt a small book..it was of fair size and what a good lookin cover it had *drools* it had Johnny as Morton on it big grinbig grinbig grin

BOPRecruit 16
when i looked the book up at the barnes and nobles site, it said it was a novella. novellas are shorter than most books.

Pirate_Girly
hmm...Maybe it was...oh well i say a book is a book, if it has a cover its a book to me..lol I want Mort Rainey!!

BOPRecruit 16
mort was funny but i don't know about his looks...laughing

Pirate_Girly
I think he is on my top 10 list of gorgeous men big grin. And yes he was funny, especially the country accented D-I-V-O-R-C-E. Ive never really sen Johnny play a character that cusses like that, and also that doritos scene was funny...and all his funky hair scenes..lol

BOPRecruit 16
he was amazingly messy and...my gosh! that hair was funny. esp after he got up from a nap. i bet he can make that into an afro if he wanted to. laughing

Pirate_Girly
LMAO JOHNNY WITH AN AFRO, Unimaginable omg lol. I kept saying 'he's So lazy!!' and he was i swear he'd take a nap..go dO SOMETHing, say "Now where was i" then roll over and go to sleep again

BOPRecruit 16
i would pay good money to see that! eek! laughing yeah, i thought he slept an awful lot. i guess for inspiration. kind of funny though. lol

Pirate_Girly
Id pay for that too big grin
So what did you think of the house on S.W?

BOPRecruit 16
i thought it looked cozy and a great place to chill and get some writing done like morton.

Pirate_Girly
I loved the cabin, If i had a chance to live in that place id take it in a heartbeat. It looks like a good quiet home where you can do anything you want and etc.
Check out my pic of lazy buns..

Lord Soth
The amazing thing about Johnny is that he is such a chameleon he's almost scary. As I was watching Morton Rainey, I saw absolutely nothing of Captain Jack Sparrow, Ichabod Crane, or Edward Scissorhands in him at all.

Pirate_Girly
Yeah, it was a change in his career, bigtime, he wasnt a drunken pirate, or a quiet person made by man, with scissors for hands.....he was a killer....or actually the creater of a character who was a killer...But he became that character...Its a career success....yep

BOPRecruit 16
yeah, the forest and are looked pretty.

Pirate_Girly
yeah. Would anyone like to discuss Mort or the movie on any messengers? Im kinda gettin tired of posting on here smile but if not, its fine ill continue posting on here

BOPRecruit 16
what pic of lazy buns? blink

Kes
Ppl this is for reviews. There's a thread at Movie discussion where you can talk about the movie. I will close this thread if this is not respected.

Pirate_Girly
Okay Kes, Ill do that, but what exactly is the difference? I post something about SW in movie reviews, and then u say take it to movie discussion, so i do, now u say take it to movie reviews. Whats the deal here?

Kes
Reviews> You review the movie, say if its good or not.No talking among your selfs.
Discussion> You can say you like it or not, discuss characters, actors,etc.

Pirate_Girly
Alright smile
I liked the movie smile

Lord Soth
~wags finger at Girly~ And this is my thread, too, you better rec-a-nize!

Pirate_Girly
lol okay big grin

claidisa_felton
ITS 12A IN UK YAAAAAAAY!! I CAN GO SEE IT!!!!
sorry im a little high lol rock love

Pirate_Girly
Good for you. GO SEE IT

XXcandyassXX
i thought it was too predictable though johnny depp was pretty good... and hott.big grin

Pirate_Girly
Indeed. I wanna see it again..

XXcandyassXX
12Amessed that's weird to me lol i am used to canadian ratings and i know american ratings kuz we used to have the same ones but 12a?messed thats just weird :P

Kes
ranting Reviews only!!!

Lord Soth
~shakes fist~

BOPRecruit 16
i've been reading the novella of this movie lately and i have a question. you know the scene where mort and shooter are comparing their endings to their stories? i know they mention the murder at the end, but do they mention the vegetable they eat at the end also? in the book, it mentions that shooter ate corn and mort's book the guy ate beans. was that mentioned?

Lord Soth
I don't think the beans part was in the movie, no. The corn was though

BOPRecruit 16
no, i meant if it was talked about.

Lord Soth
The endings were discussed, yes

BOPRecruit 16
umm...nevermind.

forumcrew
i could never bring myself to see this in theaters because i was almost certain it was gonna be very similar to identity.. so i finnaly saw it on dvd and as i expected it was super predictable.. the performances were fine but the story was weak and overall it was just poorly done..

OrliObsessor1
not 2 me

forumcrew
it wasnt predictable to you? do you see many movies?

OrliObsessor1
I probably see more movies in theater then as many times a handicapped kid wants to go to chuckie cheese.

Closing--Closed

forumcrew
wow that was a great sentence.. i was just asking though.. you didnt need to get smart or somewhat illiterate about it. Have you seen Identity and if so did you like it too?

OrliObsessor1
Yeah. It was confusing the first time, but after i saw it about 3 times it was pretty cool.

Lianslo
i just saw this movie...and it was pretty good. I guessed the ending a few seconds before it happened...but i still liked it. Johnny Depp was awesome as always, and it was very suspenseful.

All_For_Orlando
Woohoo, see we have another person that likes it smile

forumcrew
i agree depps performance was good i love john taturo (sp) although i didnt love his character.. the movie really seemd to just be missing something

All_For_Orlando
Turturro. Well I dont know if it was missing anything, the book may tell more than the movie explained.

BeckyS
I saw this movie a few weeks ago. We rented it... I think the movie was okay. Nothing spectacular, and yes, predictable. I think it's a rental at best.

ladygrim
if u wat most movies like this its bound to become predicatble ....
its like watching james bond the plot is not gonna change just like that because they'vebecome predictable..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.