Most Influential Film in History?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mane
I was thinking about what it would be. Heres the list of movies that I think have had a huge impact on society:

Star Wars
Roots
Dr. Zhivago
Citizen Kane
Schindler's List
Gone With the Wind -?

Help me out.

SlipknoT
Psycho
Friday the 13th (it started the slasher fad of the 80's)

MornGlory
Star Wars
Pysco
Schindler's List
Bride of Frankenstein..
Lord of the Rings
OMG there are so many... I dont want to take the time to list them all

KillTheLight
Godfather trilogy
2001 a space odyssey
Shawshank redemption
Pulp Fiction

Cinemaddiction
You think "Pulp Fiction" was influential.. huh Maybe to independent filmmakers, just to encourage them that anything is possible, but Tarantino's works are nothing but citings of his influences.

"Touch of Evil", while I am not a fan of his movies, was a prime example of Orson Welle's brand of cinematography. The all important cinematic visual narrative, which is still alive and well today, most recently in "Dawn of the Dead" (2004).

I think each genre has a handful of quintessential influential films. The Marx Brothers were gods of slapstick comedy, which evolved into the modern day parody. Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" was one of the earliest films to exploit the science of androids, playing a MAJOR role in Sci Fi's birth, and "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" was the slingshot for the Horror and Suspense movies. All of which are just as effective today.

SlipknoT
Night of the Living Dead

Mane
I thought Halloween came out first?

Lord of the Rings is too new to have any kind of major impact. It might have impacted the 3 years it took to be realeased as a trilogy. laughing out loud

And Bride of Frankenstein? huh There are so many more classic that have been more influential.

Shawshank is newer. It's not that famous, and you don't see much if it's influences around today. Bad choice I'm afraid... and like Cory said, Tarantino said himself that he steals everyone elses ideas.

Cinemaddiction
Well, Slipknot said slasher movies pertaining to the 80's, "Halloween" debuted in 1978, same year as "Dawn of the Dead". "Psycho" unjustly gets the quintessential slasher movie nod, but rather unfairly, IMO.

SlipknoT
Yes Halloween came out, but right after Friday the 13th came out we were bombarded with slasher flicks.

MildPossession
And the lovely Black Christmas came out before Halloween, but yes, I know what you mean with the slasher and 80's thing.

I will be back with my contribution.

Deathblow
I'm pretty positive that Tarantino's work will become very influential in the near future, Pulp Fiction in particular.

You could say that any really great movie is influential, because if they are really great, people are bound to copy them. Take The Matrix, that's a fairly new movie, and it was influenced by all manor of things, but it's already changed the way we look at sci-fi & action movies completely.

Linkalicious
American History X
Malcom X
Roots
Citizen Cane
Swing Kids

TheFilmProphet
The original James Bond is one of the many films.

Mane
Nah that pertains more in Europe. I'm talking about American society.

angelsflame265
Wizard of Oz
Star Wars

and others but i can't think of it right now

TheFilmProphet
Well I don't know about you, but I think James Bond influenced countless action films and others here in America.

Linkalicious
^ I agree...

Cinemaddiction
I'm thinking Mane was referring to spy movies in general, which there aren't really a lot of.

It's pretty much the basis of the "Austin Powers" franchise.

Mane
Well sure, 007 has influenced espionage films, but like Cory said, there aren't that many in America.

TheFilmProphet
Well in my oppinion it also had inluence on films like XXX which is spawning a sequel.

Cinemaddiction
..that, namely, being one of the few "secret agent" movies.

WindDancer
Fritz Lang M
Eisentein Battleship Potemkin
Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai and Yojimbo
Orson Welle's Citizen Kane
Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho
George Romero Night of the Living Dead
Katsushiro Otomo's Akira

Napalm
Star wars
The James Bond Movies
The Texas Chainsaw Massacrer

Dr. Strangelove
Citizen Kane
JFK
Metropolis
2001: a space odyssey
Star Wars
The Battle of Algiers
Do the Right Thing
All Quiet on the Western Front

bakerboy
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
Gone With the wind
Chaplin,Buster Keaton and the marx brothers movies
Nosferatu
Metropolis
Doctor Galigari
Kurosawa movies
Spaghetty westerns
Potemkim

JohnConstantine
Schindler's List

Mane
And happens to suck very badly.

Red Superfly
Wizard Of Oz - to think that film was made in 1939 is unbelievable. The fact it still stands up today is even more astounding.

Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs - it pretty much started the whole epic animation movie. Without this film, we wouldn't have the likes of Pixar doing what they do.

Last but not least, this is my most influential film of all time:

STAR WARS.

If this film never got made, simply put, the film industry would be COMPLETELY different. First of all, without Star Wars making Lucasfilm all that money - we wouldn't have had Pixar as it was a division of Lucasfilm. Innovations in technology would have different, if made at all, like the move to digital. Industrial Light and Magic and Skywalker sound. We wouldn't have had Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park or Terminator I don't think.

Loving_Daniel11
Ladder 49

SlipknoT
How The **** is Ladder 49 Infulential? It came out 4 months ago?

Jackie Malfoy
Yes Stars is one of them no question asked!JM

cal31
I'd say almost no movie can match Star Wars in the impact it had on society and the movie industry. There may be better movies, but none had the impact it had.

BackFire
laughing laughing out loud

BackFire
Birth of a Nation, Citizen Kane, Paths of Glory, 2001 A Space Oddesy, Psycho, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Henry - Portrait of a Serial Killer, Dracula, The Wolfman, Frankenstien, Godfather, Night of the Living Dead, Last House on the Left, Star Wars, One Flew Over the Cuckoos nest.

MildPossession
Easy Rider- Helped with the opening of more independent films in mainstream views.

baracustastic
American spy movies

True Lies
The Bourne's
Spy Game
Spy Kids
Agent Cody Banks
Tuxedo
The eddie murphy/owen wilson one
Austin Powers
Men In Black
Mission Impossible
Mr and Mrs Smith
The Rock (kinda)
The Jack Ryan films
Enemy of the State
XXX
etc
etc

That's a fair few off the top of my head. All influenced in some way by Bond.

Influencial films, well I've kinda made a case for Bond. However i would say Star Wars and The Seven Samurai are probably the two most influencial.

JKozzy
The Matrix; effectively brought Bullet-time to mainstream and probably will have an effect upon future movies and their special effects.

Isn't THE most influencial, but certainly is influencial.

Loving_Daniel11
Suck my ass. Like any of the movies that you like are influential. "Oh the movies I watch influence me to kill people with katanas and rape them."

****in make fun of me if you will for being influenced to be a firefighter, go ahead. Loser.

<<Solo>>
Do you know what influential means? I'll give you time to look it up.

KillTheLight
This thread is more on the lines of movies that have had an impact within the movie industry itself rather then movies that have influenced you personally.erm

But anyway if ladder 49 has influenced you to become a firefighter good for you.thumb up

<<Solo>>
Citizen Kane
Psycho
Pulp Fiction
All Quiet On The Western Front

JKozzy
You're not the film industry, last I checked confused

SlipknoT
Thats ****ing great for you, you were influenced by a crappy movie. But Ladder 49 does not and never will have any impact on the movie industry.

Cinemaddiction
Let's keep our cool, kids. Yes, the discussion is pertaining to movies influence on the film industry. Personal influence is fantastic, just not what we're looking for.

MildPossession
"The Matrix; effectively brought Bullet-time to mainstream and probably will have an effect upon future movies and their special effects."

Didn't Buffalo '66 do some effect before everyone said Matrix created it. I can't remember what it was people are saying The Matrix created, but some shot was done already in Buffalo '66.

Anyone? I need to remember the film book I read that in.

TheFilmProphet
Whether or not XXX was a bad film or not is up to oppinion, but the point I was trying to prove was that it was influenced by James Bond and so was True Lies by the way.

RebelPhoenix
Philadelphia

A4E
star wars
spy kids (i dun like it though)
lotr

Aku
Influential. That means any film NOT directed by Tarintino.

-Fight Club

The film that every man likes. (Not a sexist comment as only some women like it and every guy loves it!)

Red Superfly
Actually, my vote went for Star Wars because it both had a huge impact on my life and everybody elses.

It is easily the most influential movie in my own life, not to mention the Star Wars Origianl Trilogy is my favourite movie(s) of all time.

It affected EVERYONE.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.