Do lightsabers run out of power?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Napalm
Scence lightsabers are built with crystals I was wondering Do they ever loose there power and need new ones/

The Ones
i dont think so, they could if the crystals break but im not sure

.:Space Opera:.
i want to build my own lightsaber that actually has chrystals in it. that'd be cool.

The Ones
it will be illegal cause crinimals could use it for robbing and killing

eggmayo
Actually, lightsabers have energy cells in there, so I presume they run out. You'd be buggered if you got in a sabre fight and the batteries ran out though.

.:Space Opera:.
"DAMN, wait a sec, i gota replace my energy cells..."

Ushgarak
Presumably yes- when interview just after TPM, Liam Neeson talked to Clive James in the UK about how GL explained to him how sabres use crystals as batteries, and then he made light of possibly running out of power a moment before meeting Maul...

Xanatos
I always though the charger was on the belt and while it's not being used it's charging. messed

MC John 117
*Laughs*

Phoenix Jedi
What's there to laugh about? It's a good theory.

Ogami Itto
I Think that they do run out of power but the life of the energy cell is long. A year maybe

ArthasKnight
I always joked about how in ANH when Ben's fighting Vader and Ben's lightsaber flickers (anyone know what I mean?), that his lightsaber was running out of juice. I think they can, any (well, most) energy source(s) can be drained.

Maverick2364
Yeah it flickered and appeared to be dying. Thank God George Lucas fixed that in the dvds (sort of). One also would draw the question of how long a saber would last before dying (like batteries) and how could the power from the crystals be drained in the first place.

ArthasKnight
It's an energy source, like a battery. Batteries run out of juice, why can't a crystal? The crystal has to have something within that gives the crystal the ability to be a power source for them in the first place, so why can't it be drained?

Exile
But why was Darth Mauls Half saber still working after obi-wan cut the power Crystal in half?

Red Superfly
laughing

Did it ever occur to you that maybe, JUST maybe, Darth Maul had TWO crystals?

Ogami Itto
yea i think its basicly two sabers joined but that was a stroke of luck that it still didn't disable both!!

Red Superfly
Maybe it wasn't luck. The crystals could have been put at each end of the saber (and judging by the diagrams from those technical books, they were).

And yeah, it is just two lightsabers glued together. Each side is independant obviously, because if they shared any components at all, both sides would fail when Obi-Wan sliced it.

Revan X
just one Crystal was cut thats why he used only one end when it was cut in half.

Dexx
well..consider it luck, or will of the force, but the cut opnly disabled one half of his saber..only one crystal. The crystal as an energy cell, IF it's canon, seems a bit overdoing it in my opinion. you might as well have a power unit besides the crystal which i though only works as a lens for concentrating the beam. That way..it would work kind of like your mobile phone.
it would be easier to explain how a lot of jedi could die in ROTS. evil dooku, besides erasing kamino from the archive, storms the jedi temple and grtabs whichever saber chargers he can find.

"out of power, i am" moans yoda "my lightsaber charger, find, i cannot. how embarassing."

Areora
In the book "Shatterpoint" Mace Windu needs to recharge his lightsaber's power cell. So yes a lightsaber CAN run out of power. That book's really good by the way.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.