Post Notes: Twilight of the Jedi

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BAILY
New Post Notes up.... Here is the teaser description:

As most people schooled in Star Wars lore know, the Jedi Knights pay a terrible price for the Clone Wars. The ancient order does not survive the birth of the Empire, and their greatest warriors, scattered on many different fronts, are cut off from the Temple, forced into hiding or worse.
Recently, a stint of greenscreen photography was required to shoot the final on-screen moments of several Jedi extras, characters whose names are never spoken in the films. Nonetheless, these background Jedi have grown to become favorites among some Star Wars fans who read about their adventures in the Expanded Universe, or those who craft new stories with their toy incarnations.

theshakl
cool! any pictures? is there more?

POOTtheMONK
It sounds really good from what the TFNers are posting. big grin

Red Superfly
I bet Kit Fisto and Plo Koon are the two main backing Jedi who fight in Episode III. You never hear their names spoken in the movies yet they are quickly becoming the Boba Fett's of the prequels.

theshakl
no one gonna post it?

BAILY
No one seems to have it yet.... It sounds good from what I read on TFN...

Jedi Priestess
Hold your pants on men....here ya go. This was what was on the webcam one day last week.

As most people schooled in Star Wars lore know, the Jedi Knights pay a terrible price for the Clone Wars. The ancient order does not survive the birth of the Empire, and their greatest warriors, scattered on many different fronts, are cut off from the Temple, forced into hiding or worse.
Recently, a stint of greenscreen photography was required to shoot the final on-screen moments of several Jedi extras, characters whose names are never spoken in the films. Nonetheless, these background Jedi have grown to become favorites among some Star Wars fans who read about their adventures in the Expanded Universe, or those who craft new stories with their toy incarnations.

On the twilight plains of Saleucami, in the stretching shadows of monumental bulbous plantlife, Stass Allie rockets ahead of her clone trooper wingmen aboard a BARC speeder, a sleek speeder bike with a frame more robust than the slim models seen in Return of the Jedi. Visual Effects Supervisor John Knoll refers to a production painting of the planet, explaining the virtual environment that surrounds the Jedi.

For this brief shot, Stass Allie is played by Nina Fallon, Production Coordinator at ILM. This marks no less than the third performer to fill Stass Allie's tall boots (including Lily Nyamwasa and Tace Bayliss). If you factor in that Stass Allie is essentially Adi Gallia recast, then that number jumps up to four to account for Gin, who played Gallia in Episode I. It's nothing new. There are at least three Plo Koons, four Saesee Tiins, three Luminara Undulis, three Shaak Tis and four Kit Fistos scattered throughout the prequel trilogy if you know where to look.

The speeder bike is a green-painted wooden placeholder, providing the correct ergonomic structure for Nina to adopt the attentive speeder biker position. Her directions are simple -- she just needs to look around as she patrols the landscape. "There's a big battle on this planet, but it's over for now," describes Knoll. "So you're flying around still aware of potential trouble. Yeah, that's it."

Fallon follows orders, but her robes don't. Despite the presence of a wind machine, the gusts aren't big enough to billow out her cloak. They still drape over the end of the fake bike, something that wouldn't work in the reality of the universe. The stage crew brings in a much larger fan to properly blow out the robes. "It's a wonder we don't see speeder bike pilots spitting out bugs," I point out to John, getting his take on the remarkably windshield-less universe our heroes and villains occupy.

"You got to figure there's a forcefield or something there to help them out," he says. "I remember saying that in Episode I, Anakin's head would have been ripped off by the 600 mile-per-hour winds in the Podrace. We tried to bring in bigger fans to blow at the thingypit, but it didn't work. Jake couldn't hear George when we were shooting it."

Though Allie was played by a reasonable facsimile, the next day, two Jedi and a Senator showed up for filming, played by the real deal. Agen Kolar and Saesee Tiin required close ups for their grim final moments, something that necessitated bringing in the real faces -- in this case, Tux Akindoyeni as Kolar, and Kenji Oates as Tiin.

A look at post production notes reveals that a workaround solution to Tiin's closeup was attempted -- using existing footage of the character and digitally crinkling the eyes and mouth into a rather unpleasant scream. A low-res work-in-progress version of this resides in the animatic of the scene -- looking all the world like a creepy Clutch Cargo type animation. That vintage cartoon show used its heralded "vox-synth" process, where live action lips were superimposed onto static artwork. Pulp Fiction or Conan O'Brien fans should be able to mentally picture this.

That ultimately was not the way to go, so Kenji endured a lengthy makeup session for a shot that takes less than 30 seconds to occur. Lucas directed the IT-Support-Tech-turned-Jedi-Master by closely comparing what had been shot in Sydney during principal photography and what was required for the insert. "So, be sure to twist your body this way, swing the lightsaber back that way, and shout out as you go down. Don't be afraid to scream," he explains. Oates' fake alien teeth and the blurring action make a nuanced performance difficult, and he manages a few strangled "agh!"s and "gah!", if not an ear-piercing wail. Tux does the same, and both performers fall into crashmats during their takes, Kenji flopping sideways while Tux is more of a face-plant.

Less exhausting but no less meticulously planned is Matt Rowan's addition. The towering Australian performer is covered in latex, a fat suit and robes to transform into Orn Free Taa. The brawny Rowan has actually lost noticeable weight since principal photography, but it's not an insurmountable challenge since the majority of the Twi'lek Senator's girth was movie magic. His role? Standing in the background of a Senate landing platform shot. When pickup photography in Shepperton reworked Mace Windu and Chancellor Palpatine's first meeting last fall, the over-the-shoulder action of the background Senators needed a bit of reworking as well, so Rowan returned to fill out Free Taa once more.

In the weeks ending 2004, another candidate was jokingly suggested. "Rick should play him," said Lucas. "Of all the characters you could play, this should be the one." At the time, VFX Producer Janet Lewin was updating Lucas on the status of Orn Free Taa's makeup appliances, since some of the pieces had gone missing.

"Why don't you look on eBay?" deadpanned Lucas. Of course, all the pieces were found for last week's shoot, so don't go bidding on any so-called authentic chins or tentacles.

BAILY
Thanks JP wink

Jedi Priestess
de nada Baily hug wink

scramba2000
http://rapidshare.de/files-en/341631/1.jpg.html
http://rapidshare.de/files-en/341632/2.jpg.html
http://rapidshare.de/files-en/341633/3.jpg.html
http://rapidshare.de/files-en/341634/4.jpg.html
http://rapidshare.de/files-en/341635/5.jpg.html

BAILY
Thanks for the pics Scramba!! wink wink

LandoSpeeder
Thanks a bunch scramba!

Sadako of Girth
Yep.Cheers mate....

BAILY
You know it is really bad when this thread has over 200 hits only THREE people have thanked JP and Scramba for posting this info for us. Honestly, people, show some respect to these people who decide to pass along info to us that we wouldnt have normally been able to get ourselves, through Hyperspace, bc we are not members...

I am sorry if I come across as rude, but this kind of mooching off people who are willingly sharing info for us to see, that really gets under my skin. Maybe I am just tired and not making any sense. If so I am sorry for accusing people.......

darktim1
Thanks for notes JP and Scramba thanks for the pics they were interesting.

Xam
Sassee or wtv,will be killed by Sidious,rigth?

BAILY
Saesee Tiin and Agen Kolar are both killed by Sidious.

Xam
big grin

BAILY
I hope that Kit Fisto doesnt go out like a complete ass.... He is a cult fav of the PT. I can just see his tenticles getting cut off by Sidious and he being Force pushed out a window..... poor poor Kit..

Darth_Decimator
thank you both kindly JP & Scramba! you guys rock !

bobafett81
Hi.

Thks for it, but pics 3, 4 and 5 are not working anymore. sad

BAILY
You sure bud??? They still work for me..... scroll down the page to see them when you click on the links..

Snakebyte
thx all posters for sharing big grin

esp. for the pics, scramba. wink

guiro72
thanks jp & scramba....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.