Need to know

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarkAge
It's my theory that the sort of people who think deeply about things, have analyticcal skills and really consider the prusuit of truth important (the sort of people who post in this forum) are almost invariably of the opinion that George W. Bush is a complete do do head. Please help me test this by voting in this poll.

Philosophicus
Yes, any country deserves the president they have - after all, they voted for him, or allowed him to become president. But I think Bush is a real idiot - philosophers should rule a country, as they are the most intelligent portion of a society. Democracy is also a bad thing, because that allows the majority of people to rule via their representative, and we all know the majority of people are of mediocre intelligence - a country should be ruled by a group of philosophers in an autocratic fashion.

Kosta
George is just like any other president.

Alpha Centauri
This is the one case where the American voters deserve all they get.

The ones who voted for Bush or didn't vote at all, can look at the 4 years of republicanism that you have ahead and realise that any bad decision he makes, any step he takes to endanger your country further, is down to you.

-AC

peterKSL
All Bush needs is a philosopher by his side to tell him what to do.. lol?
laughing out loud

peterKSL
By using the word "idiot" is not so good, only good for jokes, or totally angry. wink
By breaking down the word "idiot", why not use "low on experience", or something like that? big grin

Philosophicus
A few Years ago on the cover of Time Magazine it said: "Bush, luckiest dumb guy of the year". "Dumb" is a word equivilent in meaning and in disrespectfulness to the word "idiot". So, what is wrong with using the word "idiot". The word wasn't invented for nothing. And what is wrong with "calling a spade a spade"? smile

About politicians and philosophers - It was Plato who originally said that philosophers must be in government, so you're actually laughing at him. rolling on floor laughing

finti
philosophers might be smart in one field and totally dumbasses in other. Philosophers aint more fit to run a country than any other person. Better to have a choice made by the masses of mediocre intelligent people than one made by a few who think they have monopoly on common sense.

KharmaDog
I thought you thought "I say Plato was a bore!" philo?

finti
he was a bore

Philosophicus
he was a bore, but even bores have something interesting to say sometimes.

42Bardock
Actually Plato was a facist, a smart one but still, hus idea of the Philosopher state was well really bad, since no one can actually say what a philosopher is anyway. Oh and nothing wrong with calling Bush an idiot.

Philosophicus
BUSH IS AN IDIOT! BUSH IS AN IDIOT! Thanks 42Bardock.
Anyway, Plato had a lot of bad ideas, for instance to control and censure literature, music, etc. Also, to completely control society down to the level of society - he thought of the social condition as a machine. Well, just read his 'The Republic' - it's well written, but ultimately idealistic utopia. It's intelligent, but out of place in the real world.

DarkAge
I don't think that would be right. I think it's up to philosophers to persuade the ignorant majority of thier beliefs; you're suggesting following the orders of a relatively small group unconditionally. Wouldn't you say that's fascism?

Darth Revan
Great idea! Equality--who needs it? Equal rights are overrated anyways. Nope, let's just let people like you do it for us. I'm too stupid to know the difference between right and wrong anyways. You're so great, Philosophicus, I just can't get enough of your philosophical banter and fascist political views. A philosopher would never make a mistake, or become greedy, or abuse his power. All hail Philosophicus and His Holy Brotherhood, Those who can do no wrong! eek!

Sleep easy kids, Philosophicus is watching you. smile

plexed
i have lived in new Zealand and Ireland and i must say the people I've meet hate president bush and hate all the people of the u.s.a. because of him (and your countless wars if there older) to the rest of the world you are evil and may well destroy the world and sorry to all the people who saw sense not fear and didn't vote for bush but don't worry pretty soon the world will get sick of your murderess leaders and take a leaf from your book of war(sorry I'm mostly mellow but i like most sane people hate this guy)

Darth Revan
Don't blame me, my parents voted for Kerry. no expression

Ytaker
offtopicI love this guy. Go Darth Revan!offtopic

Storm
Ah Plato....

Fire
I'll contribute about this later on, we've studied plato in Political science at Uni here.

But Bush is certainly not a great US president

42Bardock
As I said before Plato is very facist and most tzhe other three classical Utopias wouldn'T be considcered that great today either.
Anyway for plato we have to say that he influenced a whole lot of the world and even though I am not a big fan he was a very smart and influential person.
And yes I myself (I hope that doesn'T sound too cocky) think that I think deeply aboot things often and I am not very foond of your president either so that much just for your poll.

Philosophicus
So, tell me then, anyone, what form of government is perfect? They truely are all flawed. I for one, don't need someone to govern me, I don't care about the world of politics - I can think for myself, unlike other sheep-like people who need a leader.

brandino
well im a big fan of dictatorship only if im a dictator id slowly work my way up to an emperor then off to godhood i go

people who need laws and leaders are weak and cannot think for themselves
philo have you read dune there should be mentats now thats a good idea

Philosophicus
Havn't read dune - funny one on dictatorship!

finti
doesnt exist

what good is thinking if no one enforce certain aspect of things to protect one against things that might affect you in a bad way

Philosophicus
Politicians are only in it for themselves. They fool people into believing they care for their voters.

SaTsuJiN
I heard communism can work well if the leader performs his role appropriately.. otherwise you end up with another north korea

but no, I don't approve of bush as president.. simply because its damn scary to be represented by someone who fries steaks and plays golf instead of being a responsible human being... the bastard is getting paid.. not like he's doing it for charity

Philosophicus
Communism in its pure form is good.

Did you get my pm?

SaTsuJiN
yeah erm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.