Palpatines Curved Lightsabre

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

King Jedi
TFN say that Palpatine will have a lightsabre in Ep2 and that it will be curved. They have pictures of a curved sword and it looks very interesting.

Dim
Yeah it looks very cool but..

1. How in the world does it bend the light?
2. I can't imagine Palpatine fighting...Has anyone ever seen Ian McDiarmid do a fight scene?

tainted one
yeah, i really don't see why the blade could or should be curved. what difference does it make? it's a lightsaber. it can cut through (almost) anything. i imagine that palpatine probably has one, and along with that thought, he probably hasn't used it in combat for decades (training with Maul???).

as long as we're talking about light weapons, how about

light ninja stars? you throw this little disk and then use the force to ignite it while in flight.
light arrows that you shoot from a crossbow? goes right through all of those clones!
light dagger? for when you lose your saber and need to kill the now approaching, over-confident bad guy.
light brass nuckles? ow, that hurt.
light nun-chucks (spelling)? okay, this one is a little stupid, up there with the curved blade.

i wouldn't be suprised if the only "weapon" we see palpatine with is his funky blue bolts of nastyness.

Ratcat
Dim,

I'm going to have to invoke the "It's only a movie" clause.

How does it bends light?!?! laughing out loud More to the point, how to you create a focus 1 meter light blade. Solve that one before worrying about bending it.

Dim
WHAT?..."it's only a movie"?... noooooooooooooooooooooooooo...can't be! TELL ME IT'S NOT TRUE!!! *sob* eek! eek! eek! stick out tongue

theEviljedi
I think in the future we will be able to make light from cyrtals like in S.W.Maybe 25 years from now.Who knows.

King Jedi
Maybe Palpatines sword isn't a lighsabre but just a very strong ancient sword that he fights with.

Tainted One- I like those ideas but can't see Lucas putting weapons that violent in Ep2.

theEviljedi
Why?He has a hand chopped off in a movie so why not daggers or something?

King Jedi
The same reason that scenes with Ninja stars are cut out of most martial arts movies. They are seen as being too violent.

theEviljedi
And a wampa arm,Luke's hand,Vader's hand,and a guy from a cantina's arm being cut off isn't?

King Jedi
No. Probably because it was a sword. Enter the Dragon had to have all of it's ninja star scenes cut out before it could be shown and that was rated 18.

theEviljedi
You don't think that's violet?God.

King Jedi
I do think it is violent and that's the point. Even though it is violent, Ninja stars still couldn't be shown.

theEviljedi
Yeah they could.Just get stab in the stomach or foot.That's not that violet.Maul's death is still much more violet then the stars.

King Jedi
All of those Ninja star scenes were banned.

theEviljedi
Your point being?

King Jedi
Something which is seen as being that violent won't be in Sttar Wars.

Ratcat
And definately not if your want a General U certificate.

Remember Star Wars is aimed at a young audience, they're not going to make a 15 or 18 film out of it, they'd loose too much of their audience.

King Jedi
Thank you.

theEviljedi
I know but they could still use them without it being real violet.Like I said above they did have people's body parts cut off.

Ratcat
Yeah but I think the difference here is between isolated severings and enmass decapitation. I agree with what your saying EJ but I also agree with KJ. I think that the type of thing we have seen before will be the way it goes with Episode-II.

ie. They can get away with single instances but in major battles it will be treated very much as the sail barge fight was. Lots of Lightsaber swinging but very little, if any, gore.

BTW EJ, why do you keep talking about purple??? laughing out loud

theEviljedi
I know.I know they probally won't but they could.When have I talked purple?

Dim
Okay...another question...If you're using a lightsaber and lop someone's arm off shouldn't there be little or no blood..Wouldn't the heat from the lightsaber caterize the wound?...Maybe this is why there's so little blood in SW...

I know I know I know...it's only a movie..but you know I have a point...not that it's related to anything being discussed but I was just thinking about it.

Ratcat
EJ, evey time you missed the "n" out of Violent smile

Dim, I think that the wound would probable be to big, in humans I think there's a big ol' vein that runs down the arm and it would probably be a bit of a bleeder.

Dim
That's true...okay, I'll quite nit picking now big grin

Jedi Mercenary
a curved saber?? very improbable,I still think the light dagger is the most likely, as you know, when a jedi makes a lightsaber, he adjusts it to a certain length, why wouldn't someone make a real small one??

King Jedi
HaHa...Ratcat I couldn't work out the purple thing eithersmile
I still like the idea of a lightsabre style whip like the one that is used it the He-Man movie.

theEviljedi
Yeah I have been lazy lately.

Dim
What's the big deal about a purple lightsaber?

Ratcat
Dim, wakey wakey. EJ kept missing out the "n" in Violent so it came out as violet. It's easily done.

theEviljedi
Yeah yeah,I'm lazy alright.smile

Dim
Ohhhhhhhhhh..sorry, this medication has knocked me on my butt...I can't even type right.

King Jedi
I hope that their are no real flashy weapons in Ep2. I didn't like the Gungan Spheres as they were too sci-fi. The Ewoks bow and arrow were much better.

Dim
I liked the Gungun's weapons but I think you're right. They do need to get back into the OT a little bit.

Ratcat
I know I joked about your comments ragarding a curved saber but how would a species who live predominatly under water produce elecrical plasma balls?

Dim
They use a sticky lipid shell so that the plasma balls are stable and remain intact.. stick out tongue don't laugh, It would work!

theEviljedi
Those balls were a little bit too flashy.Compared to the original trilogy that is.

Dim
I don't care... I thought they were lovely...I guess I just like sparkely, flashy stuff smile

Darth Heinous
Darth Sidious IS a good lightsaber fighter! He not only taught Darth Vader, Darth Maul and the other Sith Lord (whatever his name is), he kicks butt in Dark Empire 1,2,3!

Ratcat
Taught Darth Vader, I don't think so. By the time we see Episode-II Anakin will have had 10 years of saber training. I think he'll know a trick ot two.

Also, Yoda trained Luke and chances are we will never see him use a Saber

theEviljedi
Though in one of the SW Insiders Rick M. says we will.

Ratcat
I thought he said we will find out why he's a great master but he would fight without a saber.

The speculation geing he has some form of Light side lightening attack.

theEviljedi
I'm pretty sure it said he would dawn a saber.

Ratcat
I have to admit I don't know either way.

Dim
I still can't imagine Ian McDiarmid in a saber fight...but I guess they might not show something like that.

King Jedi
I could definately see him using one. They could use a lot of computer techniques to make him look like an incredible fighter.

Dim
I don't know why I'm so worried about it...If Alec Guiness can do a believable fight I'm sure Ian can. I doubt CGI will be needed.

King Jedi
And Ian McDairmid isn't that old. He is in his fifties.

Dim
Yeah I finally realized that smile

theEviljedi
He was pretty young in ROTJ.Geesh you never would have guessed it though.smile

Moobi Lamyr
A curved lightsaber is cool. You know how some of the weapons in the Star Wars Universe is almost like in the real world. You know like those Vibro-Axes in ROTJ. They look like battle axes from the medevel days. When my brother told me about the Jedi Exar Kun with a Double-Bladed lightsaber I thought that is one of the most dummust things ever! But when I saw Ep1 I changed my mind. It was cool cause when Ray Park did those moves,slashes,and jumps I thought it is great!! That's just what I think.

Ratcat
I hadn't heard that about Jedi Exar Kun but goinmg on your previous reverse facts can anyone else confirm?

King Jedi
I can. I've seen pictures of it.

Dim
yeah..and to think that RC was making fun of me for wondering how they would curve a blade...hehehe..see!! even GL won't go there!

Darth Heinous
If you want to see Exar Kun's double bladed lightsaber read Tales Of The Jedi: The Sith War.

Moonlet1
The curved lightsaber makes sense and I hope we get something like that in II. To me, the lightsaber is a bit of a confusing mix of technology and the force. Until TPH, the two extremes were the lightsabers of Luke, OB1 and Anakin vs. the Emperors bolts. Now we have the staff version of Maul and it would be interesting to fill in the gaps in between. It seemed a bit odd that Anakin/Vader commented several times through 4-6 regarding Luke's "advanced" lightsaber, implying that somehow Luke was advancing the technology and that a Jedi skill was involved in it. With the emperor's control of the dark side of the force, it would make sense that he could engineer weapons that could use the force in more complex ways than a straight meter of light. Taking that theory a few degrees further would then explain the lightening bolts, where no weapon was required to focus the energy.

Great Master Brit Hunt
Welcome Noonlet.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.