The Arrogance of God

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Chain Smoker
If God is so all-mighty, it is only so because he can't help it. Any God is supposed to be all-mighty - that is what defines a God. Why would God want his creatures to praise him for his greatness when it was no mean art for God to create the universe? He simply did what he was capable of. It would indeed be very arrogant of God to expect his creation to praise him just because he is so great - he didn't ask to be God after all.

Storm
The term god may not carry the same meaning to all of us engaged in a debate about god. One of the attributes which have been/are being discussed is god' s omnipotence.

Chain Smoker
Then what is the meaning of having a God if you don't praise him? Faith in your God becomes meaningless then.

Storm
That, you should ask a theist.

Chain Smoker
Well, if you're not a theist, howcome you seem to represent them? Oh, I see, when you are in a corner in an argument you refer me to ask someone else? laughing out loud

Storm
How can I answer your question when I don' t believe in your god?

In what way do I represent a theist?

Chain Smoker
I don't believe in a god, you seem to represent theists based on your eagerness to explain that the term god may have a different meaning to everyone, after I questioned the meaning of having a God, devoid of the element of praise.

Storm
Getting involved in a discussion without defining and explaining the most critical concepts is pointless.

Chain Smoker
I agree, but why did you refer me to a theist?

Syren
Chain Smoker.... you pounced on Storm for no apparent reason, would you like to explain your obvious defensive complex before we broach the subject of 'God's' omnipotency? Just a general query, and you might find people a lot more willing to discuss things with you if you yourself are approachable.

Celestialgirl
He doesn't demand that animals praise him does he now? And not all Gods are all mighty some people's Gods can die

AdventChild
I thought the definition of "God" is a Perfect Being... that can do anything and that can make anything happen?

ushomefree
Chain Smoker

You started this forum, take control of it.

Celestialgirl
I said others' gods not mine it says in the bible that my god can't die.

Philosophicus
Celestial - are you dumb? a God is not a God if he is mortal!???!

finti
in some mythologies gods were indeed mortal

Philosophicus
I know, but those 'gods' shpuld never have been called gods - rather demi-gods, don't you agree?

finti
Odin and Tor was regarded as gods, to me they were gods good as any other so called deities

Philosophicus
what's your definition of a god/deity?

finti
god deity- one/more "higher" beings set to rule over nature, the cirlce of life and death and beyond

Philosophicus
But then there's an error of judgement on your side: if a god is set to rule over life and death and beyond then how can some gods in your opinion be mortal - mortality can't rule over death!?

finti
because deities aint failproof, any deity dies when people stop beliving in them.

Philosophicus
You have a good sense of humour. laughing out loud smile

Celestialgirl
Umm, it's not my fault some peoples gods can die I mean if you studied the religions of the world you'd know that. Think of that next time you call me dumb.

Storm
Merlin wink

Queen Mab: If people stop believing in us, we won' t exist.

BlackC@t
Now that's not fair no

HairyPooper
The President is given honor and respect just cause he is the President. So our Czars and other presidents and prime ministers and kings and queens and other rulers.

Teachers are given respect and so are police officers and the army and navy and marines and other military.

So if man is given honor and respect, how much more does God deserve it who is the Creator of all and above all of us in great glory and splendor?

The Phantom
Originally posted by HairyPooper
The President is given honor and respect just cause he is the President. So our Czars and other presidents and prime ministers and kings and queens and other rulers.

Teachers are given respect and so are police officers and the army and navy and marines and other military.

So if man is given honor and respect, how much more does God deserve it who is the Creator of all and above all of us in great glory and splendor? Who is also the Creator of bad and evil things that come about, too, you forgot to meantion that.

whobdamandog

So if man is given honor and respect, how much more does God deserve it who is the Creator of all and above all of us in great glory and splendor?

Harry..or should I say, "Son of Man"..I see you are playing your old trolling games again. Oh well..that is your nature, and there is little I can do to change it. However like all things in this world, your time will soon come to an end.

Moving on to the topic of this thread, I wouldn't call God arrogant in the least. If he were indeed arrogant, then he wouldn't offer the gift of sharing his kingdom with mankind. But alas, over many upon many years...his simple message of "love" has been distorted by those who have their own agenda. When individuals find out the true "loving" nature of the one who created them, it will be far to late..and they will be subjected to a frightening reality..one without God, and one which they can only blame themselves for creating.

Fin.

debbiejo

So if man is given honor and respect, how much more does God deserve it who is the Creator of all and above all of us in great glory and splendor? We should give honor and respect to all things. A god, however, would be above wanting approval. People want approval, not a god.

Shakyamunison
God does not need.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.