ROTS official opening crawl

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

vanyoda
here it is at the official site,
http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/bts/production/f20050126/indexp2.html

Jedi Priestess
well Van post the damn thing dont just gimme a link! laughing I cant get it to copy. messed

theshakl
i gotta say..i ain' very impressed...honest

MochaChica
It's an image JP...here ya go, kiddies

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/bts/production/f20050126/img/crawl.gif

bilbofett
i cant copy either...not too impressed with it tho

NoFate007
uh oh...if the scroll starts off with "War!"...that's not a good beginning to Episode III...

ARC Trooper 117
Here it is, children!

Episode III
REVENGE OF THE SITH

War! The Republic is crumbling under attacks by the ruthless Sith Lord, Count Dooku. There are heroes on both sides. Evil is everywhere.

In a stunning move, the fiendish droid leader, General Grievous, has swept into the Republic capital and kidnapped Chancellor Palpatine, leader of the Galactic Senate.

As the Separatist Droid Army attempts to flee the besieged capital with their valuable hostage, two Jedi Knights lead a desperate mission to rescue the captive Chancellor....

theshakl
yeap.

BUT WHAT I AM MOST DISSAPOINTED ABOUT ..is that they dont' mention the Clone Wars....

MochaChica
theshakl...the first word is "War!"

ARC Trooper 117
He was being sarcastic....stick out tongue

NoFate007
Episode III

Revenge of the Sith

The ongoing Clone Wars have caused misery on countless systems. Starvation, death and agony infest the many planets that make up the Galactic Republic.

Senators are growing easily impatient of the Jedi Order. As the wars rage on, they begin to question their usefulness.

When Chancellor Palpatine is kidnapped by the evil General Grievous, two of the most promising Jedi Knights come to his rescue in an attempt to end these conflicts...

Now I just made that up in like a minute flat on the spot..and I think that's better than the one they have on the site. Its not great, and if I sat down and tried I could think of a great one, but that's improv.

theshakl
um...... actually i wasnt'..i know they mention war..but i would have liked it better if they said it..like, "the clone wars have been tearing the galaxy apart." or something...sorry for my crappy writting but you get the picture...

ARC Trooper 117
They'll probably COMPLETELY change it. This is probably to throw us off their tracks.....

theshakl
NOfate007....

EXACTLY! maybe more on grievous..

BAILY
Nice crawl... god I leave my comp for two hours to look for a job, and I always miss the good stuff........

theshakl
lol "look for a job" funny

Torik_Shai
Personally, I like the "War!" part. It makes it seem like those old news update things that would play in movie theaters during the World Wars. But that's just me.

MochaChica
I'm hoping they change it. It's late January, we only have one trailer and one poster and we've already got the crawl? Come on Lucas...

OB1-adobe
Oh! Jesus F*cking Christ!

It F*cking begins here.

I don't like this

I don't like that

God your Babies

MochaChica
Considering this is a message board that's main purpose is to serve as a "FORUM" for opinions and thoughts, OB1 maybe you should just chill out.

kremzike
Ok, somebody here has GOT to have the capabilities to make a movie file of this just like we'll see in May. Who's up to the challenge?! I swear i'd do it, but I don't have the required tools and, if I did, I doubt i'd know how to use them anyway! But i'm sure we'd all love to see it done. In fact, i'm sure someone will do it. I feel like Bluto in Animal House! "Who's with me?! Let's go!!! HIOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

But yeah, somebody's gotta make that!

darktim1
Cool now I will know what to expect in the up comming clonewars cartoon final five episodes.

ginny_weasly
"War!".... wacko

Rebel Sith
beforethemagic.com is bound to post the right crawl eventually

JKozzy
Quite disappointed.

"War!"

"No shit!"

Spectr4L
"WAR!"....

It just sounds too cheesy, even for Star Wars standards...

Xam
i agree

OB1-adobe
the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs are exactly what I thought they would be (content wise)

Yeah the 'WAR!' part sticks out, oh well what can you do.

It is called 'Star WARS'

Xam
yes indeed,they do talk about civil WAR in the episode 4 crawl eek!

Snakebyte
WAR! sounds like Starship Troopers.
I thought the opening crawl was some historical introduction done
by the whills looooong time after sw.

they wouldnt use such emotional exclamations... smile

Darth_Decimator
i like it

Ben-Kenobi
Its ok but not SW material

DarthAJ
at first i saw it and i'm like WAR! wait a sec am i really reading the opening scroll?

it sucks i'm gonna have 2 send a complaint letter ):

kremzike
Ok, I couldn't wait! Well, not really me. My friend has the tools to make a fairly decent approximation of the ROTS scroll. I helped him a little, but it was mostly all him.

Now, you will notice quite a few things here that aren't correct with how an actual SW crawl would look. No need to tell us about them. We already know them all. The limitations of the iMovie software (the only thing we have) made it so this is the closest to accurate representation we could make. So, if you take into account that this is his second attempt at an iMovie creation and that iMovie won't allow us to fix certain things to make it closer to a real SW opening crawl, and instead just take it as a fun thing that we're sharing with you all just for some fun, then hopefully you'll get some small enjoyment out of it. And there will most likely be many more accurate scrolls to come in the next week from ton of more talented & better equiped fans!

http://rapidshare.de/files-en/451921/Ep3scrollGRRRR.mov.html?pmode=1

ReallyBad
I think it fits in with all the other crawls - you read them all like this and they are short, sharp and to the point. They just give a brief of what has happened and what is about to happen.

Ushgarak
Seems to fit the style exactly to me, though I am surrpised at no use of capital letters (mind you, that not might be in yet)

Corran
Looks good! Ush, there do appear to be Capital letters in the listconfused

Jedi-Knight 8k2
Pretty Cool

Jedi Priestess
It's pretty similar to the others, not great but not bad either. smile

PVS
wow that crawl is just craptastic messed

really...WTF!?!?!?!?!?!??!

"WAR!" ?!?!?!? WTF!?!?!?

Three Owls
it's going to be ok people...you'll learn to love it in time

Snakebyte
http://media.outnow.ch/Movies/Images/1997/StarshipTroopers/dvd.film/20.jpg

http://media.outnow.ch/Movies/Images/1997/StarshipTroopers/dvd.film/07.jpg

wink

Snakebyte
sry, didnt know hotlinking wasnt allowed big grin

http://img188.exs.cx/img188/6834/sst19ck.jpg

http://img188.exs.cx/img188/1567/sst20vk.jpg

guiro72
sounds like all the others to me.....sounds fine.....forgotten about all the "voice of the whills" stuff.....interesting.....thanks for the reminder snakebyte.....

OB1-adobe
I'm cool with it. I'll live

If you think about it, if someone was watching it sequentially, by the time they had gotten to the end of AOTC, all that was going on was mystery, love stories, pod races, and some squirmishes.

Now its WAR!

guiro72
yeah, i thought that too.....that it would work well after you'd just watched the last scene of ep II....

vorphalack
I see nothing wrong with it....and seems to be a fairly trivial thing to get upset about, IMHO.

-V

XX Emperor XX
whackkkkkkkkk, this can't be the opening crawl the wording is totally off for a star wars movie. If you look at all the other ones they all start off very smooth

War! (stupid way to start off) the republic is crumbling under attacks by the ruthless sith lord count dooku
There are heros on both sides (hate that line)
evil is everywhere (ok????)

uhhh i could go on but I can't its too painful truely poor choice of wording
I just find it hard to believe that GL is going to seat there and be happy with an opening crawl like this for the final installment

vorphalack
Interstingly enough....a lot of you seem to be pissed about this, whereas folks at MF seem to (for the most part) be rejoicing. Interesting how two different boards can have such radical overall opinions....

I dig it.
Sounds just like SW to me.

-V

Snakebyte
War!

sounds like star wars?
then gimme another example for such an exclamation in sw... big grin

RottenDarthOne
It's cause all those trendy Matrix-Heads post here. laughing out loud

I f-ing LOVE the crawl text. evil face

Snakebyte
Errr...i think you mean,
all those trendy Matrix-Heads post at mf. big grin

I f-king HATE the crawl text.

NoFate007

NoFate007

NoFate007

NoFate007

Snakebyte
no need for doublepost. you can put all the texts in one message.

i dont like fanfic at all....

NoFate007

NoFate007

vorphalack
I wasn't singling out the "war" word as an example. I said the crawl in its totality sounds like SW. I like and am not bothered by the crawl. As I said, I think its a fairly trivial thing to get up in arms about. To me its like getting upset that "DEATH STAR" is in caps or something. But everyone's got opinions....

And no offense, but I am sure every fan in the world thinks they could make a better crawl. I know for a fact that lots of fans think (or "know", as they would say) they can write a better movie than GL. But the point is....that's the crawl, like it or hate it. Spending a couple minutes to "prove" that you can do a better crawl is really kind of moot, I think.

-V

Snakebyte
i dont want to write any script or crawl text.
but i want star wars as i know it.
and its not a good sign, when the first thing you will see, doesnt fit in your imagination about sw.

hopefully the rest of the film will be more accurate to my imagination. wink

NoFate007
I doubt very much that I could make a better Episode III than Lucas, after all, its his vision and I'm not him. What I was trying to prove was that it isn't hard to do it, and with it not being so hard, you'd think he could think of something better than to start off the potentially best film of the saga with "War!" as if we won't realize that during the film. That's like if he started off Episode II with "ANAKIN IS GROWN UP NOW!!".

vorphalack
Have you not been paying attention to spoilers? I'm seriously asking. I mean its totally cool if you are trying to remain unspoiled. But seeing as this movie, from what I have been seeing, looks to be indefinitely the *most* like the original trilogy (mainly because its closer in timeframe, of course, but still...), I don't see how one stupid word could sour a movie....or taint your vision of what it may be.

Besides, I remember rumors before AotC came out that the first word would be War seeing as the last word in TPM was "Peace". So he's a little late, but it makes sense kinda....

-V

Snakebyte
I have been paying attention to spoilers.
but only pictures and some seconds of trailers/bluescreens...

i have a vague idea of the plot but there are so many things i dont know, which all can ruin my expactations.

i didnt say that the word will RUIN my movie experience, i only say its not a good sign for me...

BUT WE WILL SEE IN MAY! wink

OB1-adobe
Sure it is.

How many people do you think who just read yours thought it sounded totally Gay. Probably quite a few. Including myself.

Jedi Priestess
I wonder if there has ever been something released from the OS about a SW movie that someone didnt complain about? cry

OB1-adobe
Not in this day in age when people think they know how everything should be done. Because they think its "Better"

NoFate007
I personally have only complained about a few things. If the script I read of Episode III is true, its my favorite movie automatically. I'm not one of these fans that groans about CGI or about little tiny plot errors, but I just think that War! is not a good way to start the scroll. I think it sounds too much like a comic book's opening, very cheesy and childish..something that shouldn't be done in the only PG-13 movie. As for whether or not my scrolls sounded "gay" to you, it doesn't matter. You're complaining about mine, just as I'm complaining about his. Differences in opinions, thats what forums are about. I can't tell you what to think, just as you shouldn't be getting upset over the fact that I don't like the Episode III scroll. So lets just leave it at that, differences of opinions and I'm voicing my own, just as the other people that don't like it, as well as the people that do, are.

OB1-adobe
Its no biggie. It just people complaining about every little nitpicking thing about Star Wars has just gotten ridiclous and old. Would'nt you agree?

Can the world just chill for once.

Sith Master X
I especially hate when people fuss over "OMG, how come it took 17 years to build the first death star, then only 3 to build the other" or whatever.

Mist
Why doesnt somebody make a poll over the opening crawl?

If they just took out the WAR! it would be ok.
or start with something like 'The galaxy has been divided by war''
(ok, that sounded lame but you get the picture)

Jedi Priestess
You guys this ISNT that big a damn deal. messed Get a grip already.

Mist
jp, this is star wars! how can you say its not a big deal? the anticipation of millions worldwide are waiting for this! why give something half cheesy?

Jedi Priestess
It's the freaking CRAWL!! All I care about is what comes after the bloody thing. cry

Sith Master X
I couldn't agree with you more. The crawl really has no effect on the outcome of the movie.

OB1-adobe
Oh god.

sick

Mist
SILENCE!
if you werent a star wars fan, you wouldnt be here in the first place, would you?

Snakebyte
i thought this was a discussion forum?
why gets everbody upset when you write what you dont like???

Mist
because they want a perfect star wars movie, which could have been so if not for the crawl.

Sith Master X
Yeah, but how can an opening scroll ruin an entire 2 and half hour movie? stick out tongue

evil_anakin
arc trooper i totally agree with u........lucas really likes 2 throw us off the track every now and then.....u bet that wont be the openin...........

JediJim
Even if it is, I can see myself getting used to it.

zombiebird
hey

bilb
Because Lucas LIKES things cheesy!!! He has been trying for over 30 years to make the perfect 'B' movie!!!! starwars

NoFate007
I have a feeling I'm gonna be like "ugh..he used it", but as soon as the first ship flies by, I'll be sucked into the movie enough that it won't mean a damn thing.

shockimebones
It's really only the first paragraph that's poorly written, the second two are fine I think.

vanyoda
Here is a super fan-made opening crawl made by a member
over at TFN by the name of Darth_Brad03 .It's one of the
best versions I have ever seen. (20mb)
http://s112352282.onlinehome.us/ROTS_Crawl.mov

OB1-adobe
That was really badass Van!

Where is the rest of the movie big grin ?

That could almost pass for real, except the text does this weird curvy thing when it gets more out into space. Plus I think it disapears earlier than that does'nt?

Sith Master X
And instead they turned out to be A+ movies. eek!

waynerobsonuk
Thats damn good! I've got to add that teh text fades out a little early but thats as close as I've ever seen to the real thing. Hat's off to the bloke who made that big grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
I wonder if I can wind up a few friends with thatwink laughing

Wayne...

ab2421
Its not that hard to create a scroll. Take a look at these, these are my official scrolls for the scripts I wrote/am in the process of writing...
You probably spent hours composing those scrolls... whether or not you admit it. And don't count on many people hoping that your writing makes it to the big screen.

This movie is goona rock... WAR will ensue on May 19-- and it will definitely be quite a thing to behold.... come on, people.. you've all seen the leaked screenshots, the whole film is about war- on the microscopic and macroscopic levels.... It's goona be awesome.

Too bad for all the people whose viewing experience will be ruined because they think they are better writers or could "make a better film in sleep" laughing

OB1-adobe
I rest my case. Yeah, this was a thread to discuss the opening crawl, not for people to bring their own gay ass fan fiction that nobody cares about.

eXSBass
For the love of Diamond Joy Quimby I turn my back for a few days and theres pictures and opening scrolls running around left right and centre. The cheesy "War!" opening, in my opinion is what some people say it is. Just to throw us off track. I think Lucas realises this is the last Episode so he wants our imaginations to run wild and not to expect a suprise.

OB1-adobe
Or maybe it's the real crawl, and you people should deal with it.

eXSBass
Probably is and it probably isn't. I was wrong to whine about how wrong it is. But we'll find out for ure in May.

NoFate007
Alright, I was willing to drop it before and I'm not discussing it anymore after this comment, keep your opinions about my scroll, I don't care. How long it took me, 5 minutes for each one and no more. And as for whether or not my writing makes it to the big screen, you haven't read any of my writing, that is a scroll to Star Wars, that isn't "writing" if you know the difference. When you read some of my true writing which isn't a cheesy opening crawl to a series I didn't create, then we'll talk.

Now, off the fan fiction and back onto the topic at hand, Lucas and his crawl for Episode III.

ab2421
arrogance AND ignorance --- for only 9.95!

Hurry and get yours today!

Gangularis
so who do you think "there are heros on both sides" is talking about??

NoFate007
Besides the obvious, that the clones/jedi/palpatine are the heros of the Republic and such, it could be an allusion to the fact that Palpatine is playing both sides as the master planner, and is a hero both as Palpatine to the Republic, and as Sidious to the Confederacy.

amity75
When I read the opening word "War!" a shiver went down my spine. I'm going to wear a condom when I see this movie to save my underwear.

LandoSpeeder2
I'm going to where worm clothes cus it's always really cold in the theater.

OB1-adobe
It basically just means that their have been winners on both sides. Essentially, in war, their are no good or bad guys. Just people who are fighting for what they believe in. Its funny, If you were to look at Earth from an intergalactic scale, every war we have had should be delared as Civil wars since we have been fighting against are own people.

the whole "War!" thing. I agree with whoever said it was like a WWII news seriel. Try to imagine watching all of the movies in a row, and have no idea where it is going.

Episodes I, and II are like the calm before the storm. The galaxy is not at war, just something is brewing. Much like after the treaty of Versailles after WWI, and then the gaining strength of Hitler's Nazi regime in the 1930's. Then Episode 3, all the pieces come together, and then everything falls apart. The galaxy is at war with it self for the rest of the saga, hence the name 'Star Wars'.

To use Earth as an analogy again. WWII is the results of happened in WWI. The galactic Civil war is the result of happened during the Clone wars.

tpaquin
Lousy! It seems to me that Lucas is trying to emulate his "serials" obsession too much. I mean, the originals paid homage to them by creating new serials for modern times. This seems more like a Sky Captain-style blatant copy of them.

Cowboyography
George does love his Serials, i hear he is very fond of Count Chocula, Ooo, Fat Boy Burn!!! smile

bilal
I think the two Jedi knights are An akin sky walker and Obi wan ken-obi,as i have seen this picture of them together,they will go to save palpatine.

Yoda will fight Emperor.

MACE WINDU will fight Count Dooku.

Anakin will fight Obi wan kenobi.

and i think Anakin will become a friend of Emperor,when offered the powers of the dark side.

OB1-adobe
shit

zavin
you dont read spoilers do you?
You'll be surprised then...

cylob49
I remember a rumour that was all over the place a few years back that stated that Boss Nas was to have the first line in episode 2 and it was to be the word.............WAR!
Now its the first word in the opening scroll of Episode3
spooky or just more propable a coincidence.

Boris
Damn it! Why can't it pan down to a nice big battle! sad

AddictedToBoys
wierd

The Ones
i dunno

cylob49
I think the "WAR" bit is in there for the casual viewer to let them know whats goin on.....the non SW fan.
The ones who cant remember what happened in EP1,EP2 and probably forgotten/dont know who Palpatine,Mace etc are and dont care
Sure these are fans movies but to a lot of people these SW movies are just another movie it aint like the orig trilogy
SO EVERYTHING HAS TO BE EXPLAINED TO THEM........VERY.............SLOWLY

Snakebyte
the war action will be shown right after the crawl...

and if they dont get it, i wouldn care... wink

War! sucks big grin

Eleonora
Check out this cool fan-art version of the crawl posted on tfn:

http://theforce.net/episode3/story/Revenge_of_the_Sith_Opening_Crawl_Wallpaper_89241.asp

Holy_Bum
Yea, I'd have to agree, the war part sucks. Although it is interesting, the poll on TFN shows that the majority of the people love it.

What I'm thinking is how obvious do you need to get? WIth all the fighting, and the mere fact that the title is "star wars" I think the point is made that there will be war, there is no need to say it in the beginnning of the crawl. I think most people, even the causal viewer, will understand that there is a war, without needing to be told.

I just hope this is a work in progress.

LandoSpeeder2
the vid at MF is even better stick out tongue

awain
confused there's a few things it doesn't say in the opening crawl: how come it doesn't mention anything about Darth Sideous controling the Republic and beocming the Galatic Emperor, or the Jedi trying to restore peace and justice to the galaxy again...

awain
mad OPENING CRAWL IS RUBBISH, THIS FILM WILL BE BAD!
Happy Dance the only reason to see this film is the lightsaber fights: aka, the fight between Anakan and Obi-One.
evil face but I can't until I see Anakan slaughter Count Dooku!

smoker4
?????? whistle ????????

JKozzy
I reconverted a version I found to DIVX, I think this one is perfect, minus stars. At first the aspect ratio was incorrect, but I fixed it and upped the resolution.

http://rapidshare.de/files-en/649322/Revenge_of_the_Sith_Opening_Crawl.avi.html

Sadako of Girth
Wicked Kozzy....!!!!! Love it.....! That felt real authentic there....!

JKozzy
Mm, the music seems a bit on the fast side, though. I'll go ahead and fix that up, too. Expect a re-post. stick out tongue

awain
miffed I blame this crap crawl on George Lucas: instead of War!, the first sentence shoud be either The Clone wars is drawing to an end, or it is a dark time for the republic.
big grin the most exciting thing I'm looking forward to in Episode III is when Obi-One kicks the shit out of Anakan and throws him into the lava pit.
I think Obi-One is the best and most powerful Jedi ever- not Anakan.

JKozzy
http://rapidshare.de/files/667817/Revenge_of_the_Sith_Opening_Crawl.avi.html

Encoded in DIVX, completely new music track added, black bars cropped off. 2.35:1 aspect ratio, 640x272 resolution, audio encoded in 160 kbps MP3. File size is 14.9 MB, and total length is 1:51. Enjoy!

bilb
OMG Kozz!! I got chills!!! I want this movie NOW!!!!

JKozzy
Who doesn't? big grin

It's little things like these that make the days go a wee bit faster stick out tongue

Sadako of Girth
Niiiiiiice Kozz.......!!!
Keep 'em coming mate....!!! smile

JKozzy
bunny

Sadako of Girth
bunny bunny bunny

Hmmm they seem to be breeding.....
Oh well, Im not surprised...I guess...They are rabbits after all......

Darth_Vader05
Very nice JKozzy but we got some cry babies about the opening crawl im telling you people Star Wars Episode III Revenge Of The Sith is going to be the best damn Star Wars movie ever!!!! All our questions will be answered on May 19th, 2005 REMEMBER THE DARK SIDE BE WITH YOU ALWAYS

awain
I agree with George Lucas that episode III should be the last Star Wars film, because if George Lucas did make episodes 7,8, and 9, they would all be plain shit.
And it wouldn't make sense having a brilliant trilogy in the middle, with two shit trilogies next to it.
If George Lucas did make another trilogy, I reckon that episode 7,8, and 9 should be called: The Ultimate Weapon, Return of the Sith, and Fate of the Jedi.

awain
mad In the poster with Anakan and Darth Sideous together with lightsabers, how can that be Darth Sideous, has his face melted or something because he looks like a cross between the Creeper and Shrek very pissed off.

awain
. eek! Hey Darth Vader05, if you're reading this, read my words, Episode III will not be the best Star Wars film ever, Return of the Jedi or The Empire strikes back is the best Star Wars film ever. In fact, The Phantom Menace will probably be better, and remember... The Force will be with you always

LandoSpeeder2
wtf man, TPM was the worst star wars movie, no way episode III will be worse. I think it will be the best also. get the f***k out of this forum sw III (or just sw in general) hater.

JKozzy
We can only hope yes

Sadako of Girth
Death to the crybabies....!!!!!
Buuuuurrrrn the Heretics....!!!
Killll the non-believerrrrrrrs...!!! wink laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.