Sephrioth's greatness is debatable......

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DracotheDragon
Well, I have to post this thread in light of my "who would win, Link Vs. Sephiroth" from so long ago, I just thought of something the other day that prooves link would win, there is no debating this, so don't even try. If Sephiroth can get pwned by a kid with a key (kingdom hearts), then Link could kick the sh.it outta him!!! There is no way around that one sephiroth fans, not one at all, the key isn't even sharp, IT'S A KEY!!!! ^_^ Link's sword, on the other hand, is sharp, and it banishes all evil, so there is no competition, none whatsoever!!!!!! What do you all think of that, now what, huh? big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin eek! eek!

Linkalicious
Link would have one from the start....he's like totally the Hero of Time and stuff.

Euripides
Sephiroth wins. The Kingdom Hearts version of him is a mere shadow of him. Not to mention that the puny kid actually beat Squall and Cloud.

SaTsuJiN
Link is very self-sufficient... but in ff7 it took a full party of self-sufficient people to bring sephiroth down

Robo-Chocobo
oh my F***ing......

I can't believe people even seriosuly want to debate this.....

SaTsuJiN
thats why I dont vote.. I just comment

JKozzy
Me either. People sometimes have a bit *too* much time on their hands. Good luck to all posters herein... erm

Lord Ryugen
My god it's back! Well Draco I'm going to post as I always do the things Sephiroth has done to prove that his greatness is NOT debatable. Ready? Here we go:
1.Was able to take attacks from monsters with no damage.
2.Possessed sufficiant strength to pull a large statue and throw it like it weighed nothing.
3. Survived being thrown into the lifestream and being trapped in a rather large materia crystal for five years.
4. While trapped in said materia was able to project his will onto the clones of himself and take one over completely, giving it powers such as flight and phasing.
5.Once released was able to hold back Holy. the planets ultimate weapon while creating an incredibly powerful shield.
6.Was able to take over Clouds mind twice
7.Was powerful enough to fully paralize and hold the entire party at the Promised Land before Areith's prayer kicked in
8. Was repeatadly called the single most powerful warrior on the planet.

Sephiroth's power and greatness debatable? No way!

el_barto
The only reason Sora was able to beat him was because let's see.... ITS A FREAKING VIDEO GAME. You can't just make an "unbeatable" boss in ****ing video game, it just doesnt make sense. And anyways thats not the version of seph we are talking about. We are talking about the seph from FF7 not the one from Kingdom Hearts. They are two totally different people and they both have completely different attacks.

AND STOP MAKING THIS THREAD FOR GODS SAKE! WE CLOSED IT THE LAST TIME YOU RE-MADE IT AND WE CAN CLOSE IT AGAIN

dave123
*smells trouble* eek!

*....but see's none* confused

Draco69
I love Link. But he's out of his league.

ArthasKnight
Sephiroth wins regardless. Link, as much as he rules all that is, would have his head handed to him by Sephiroth. Kingdom Hearts screwed with him, FF7 got him right. Sephiroth vs. Link is no contest: Sephiroth would pwn Link.

Linkalicious
you really can't compare a turn based RPG character to a live action RPG character....it just doesn't equate.

People will say Seph can't be hurt by Link.

People will say Link's shield can block anything Seph has to offer.

It goes round and round....

Maverick2364
Sephiroth wins hands down. Sephiroth would annihilate Link before he could even make a scratch.

Kenshinswife
Link all the way baby!!! Link is a friggin...words cant explain what type of good kick ass type link is!!! Link would kick his butt all around the rpg world!!

Draco69
I highly doubt it. I'm still reeling from the effects of Sephiroth's SUPER NOVA attack. That really hurt.

Linkalicious
right and what is Link doing while Sephiroth is summoning a meteor from outer space to the planet?

again...the difficulty in comparing the two games.

JKozzy

Lord Ryugen
It is difficult to imagine a turn based character facing off against each other. That's why I base this on weapon strength and the actual extent they can use their power to. And in these respects Sephiroth is the clear winner. He has performed deeds Link can not approach and he's at least as strong as Link wearing the power gauntlets. Not to mention the extreme amount of magic he's weilding. That said the Master Sword and Mirror shield are probably a lot stronger than Seph's Masamune. So if he can get close, Link could probably kill him. It's just my opinion that He'll die before he ever gets in range for an attack.

el_barto
^ Well said yes

el_barto
Well, you either have to bring seph to the live RPG world or you have to bring link to the turn based RPG world. The reason it took so long to summon super nova was the game creators wanted it to look flashy and the turn based combat made it slow also. But if it were a live action fight its not like they'd go through the whole meteor floating through space thing they would just have it fall down on you because.... its a live action fighting game and they dont really go into that much detail about how the attack gets there just as long as it's THERE. Any one see what I'm getting at

Linkalicious
So it would be like how Link calls down Ether or Bombos.

and exactly how many "heart containers" would this attack consume? confused

Bridging the gap between games is more difficult than some might think.

radioboy121
Kingdom Hearts is the closest to a "real time" fighting (Energz powered him down considerably so that might exactly count for potential) by Sephiroth and the only source for Link other than his "top down" strategy versions (or side scroller if going by Link to the Past) is his appearance in Gamecube's "Soul Calibur 2."

Link was skilled with his sword and shield, but even if adding bombs and some bow and arrows, Sephiroth would destroy him and swiftly. FF7 Sephiroth killed a Maelstrom viciously and KH Sephiroth was made almost a god.

Linkalicious
Woah!

Where do I begin?

1st off. You have no premise to support your conclusion that Sephiroth is powered down by Energz in that game. That may very well be how a normal character is in a real life fighting game considering the play style of a turn based RPG.

Who's to say Link as a turn based RPG character isn't every bit as strong as Sephiroth? There's no turn based Link to draw a comparison to...

2ndly Link to the Past was NOT a side scroller. Legend of Zelda II: The Adventures of Link was a side scroller. Link to the Past had a "top down" view much like the original LoZ.

3rd. What kind of arguement is that in the 2nd paragraph?

You're using the Link from Soul Caliber 2, and without any form of support for your arguement you reach the conclusion that Sephiroth would destroy him "swiftly."

Then you go so far as to back up your conclusion by naming some random feats of Sephiroth's from his appearance in FF7.

Comparing Link from a fighting game to Sephiroth from a turn based RPG is no different than comparing Link from a "real time" RPG to Sephiroth from a turn based RPG.

Just keep downplaying all of Link's feats from his various video games. Three headed dragons, giant fire breathing dragons, gannon transformed, massive statues, huge spiders. The list goes on...

On numerous occasions Link has possessed the Tri-force, which is said to be able to grant the wishes and desires of whoever posses it. Pretty damn God-like if you ask me.

radioboy121
Energz made Cloud stronger than Sephiroth in most respects and in FF7, he was only able to achieve the victory by surprise attack. The Energz version conflicts with the strength on the other sources.

Sephiroth was born enhanced by Jenova cells. Link before his long journey that eventually led to the tri-force was courageous, but not that powerful.

I remember it being #2, but I just got the name wrong.

I suppose you want me to use the cartoon version of Link? He wasn't that powerful. At least with Soul Calibur 2, he was able to compete against some tough warriors. In Kingdom Hearts, that is Sephiroth's only form that showed him in motion that the player couldn't control and he was a fast and powerful character.

I do not discount Link's feats, but it took him time to go against such creatures and he wouldn't have survived long if he went on direct assault. We know little on how Sephiroth battled a creature like Maelstrom, but evasiveness, then attack doesn't fit his portayal either. Sephiroth was a soldier who at least with KH, was very accurate on his attacks. Evasiveness would be trouble for Link.

Tri-force was the strongest when gained completely and if you are adding that to his repetoire, then you are then adding Meteor to Sephiroth that threatened the world.

Linkalicious
We had already added Meteor to his ensemble of uber-rific attacks.

The Tri-force wouldn't be used, because with it Sephiroth wouldn't be able to do anything to Link.

All I'm asking you...and every other Sephiroth supporter to try and put the two characters on equal grounds in order to make comparisons.

No, i'm not saying weaken Sephiroth, I'm asking someone to draw a legitament comparison between a turn based RPG and a live action RPG.

How many HP of damage does Link do in an average hit?

in turn.

How many Heart Containers worth of damage does an average Sephiroth hit take?

Either way, Sephiroth is generally in cut scenes where no HP are even displayed. He does in one swing what Link does in 30 because that's the style of the games. The fighting style in the Zelda games is to find a pattern or weakness in the bad guy's attack and then counter it.

What kind of game would it be if you could just kill every bad guy by button smashing for 10 seconds? Need we mention in Link's games....he can block almost any attack with his shield. Or does that not come into play when fighting Sephiroth?

el_barto
Most of that I can agree with but most of the 7th paragraph I don't. You have a good point that you have to counter the enemy in the Zelda games, but that doesn't mean that there is no strategy in the Final Fantasy games. Its not just button smashing for 10 seconds. Most of the boss fights take 2-3 tries to beat. And you have to know what youre attacks are and who to heal and when to heal them. You have to see what magic type the boss uses so you dont use that magic on him so that it heals him and so you can use the opposite type of magic to damage him more. Yes we underestimated the Zelda games and how hard they can be, but dont make the same mistake thinking that you can blow through the Final Fantasy games in one sit down because its that easy, no it takes MONTHS at a time to beat those games because its so hard and PLUS! you have to train your charactor and such and such.

Yuna33
I just like sephiroth because he's the best character in the FF series.
In my opinion, so....

Linkalicious
Final Fantasy IS that easy, but you can't beat the game in one sitting because the games are immensely too long to sit down and beat in one sitting. Building up the character is what catches my attention most about those games. Even though the idea was quickly shot down when I had mentioned it in another thread, i personally think a turn based RPG for Zelda would be sort of interesting. Having a party with like Impa, maybe Goron or Zora, maybe Shiek. It certainly wouldn't be the same Zelda game...but it could be interesting.

The only time I EVER died playing Final Fantasy 7 was when I fought the harder of the ultimate weapons for the first time. (I believe it was Emerald) and that fight took long enough for me to figure out a better plan of attack. I haven't played the newer Final Fantasy games, but I'm sure they must be more challenging.

To me FF7 wasn't so much a challenge as it was like reading a good story book.

radioboy121
The problem is also that for the most part, Sephiroth has been portayed as a boss character, where by the Legend of Zelda principle, it doesn't sound right if it takes a few direct sword swings, bombs, etc. to defeat him. Also, many villains in the game (at least what I remember from the first installment) were usually imobile, except perhaps a head and Sephiroth doesn't stand around (we have to assume when in FF7, if the "miss" pops up, he was evading of course).

I can't rate challenge level on some of the games overall, but there have been frustrating points in Final Fantasy game history if you wanted to work completely through it, such as dodging lightning 200 times on the Thunder Plains in FFX.

Unless Link has shown to use special magic casting, etc. I can see him more in a real time "Kingdom Hearts" style action than a turn-based RPG. Never played any of his adventures after the Super Famicom Legend of Zelda game, but I did see once as a spectator of him in a relatively nonlinear game on one of the newer systems.

Linkalicious
Yah, but that's a 8 bit game.

Having a raft and latter that worked automatically was pretty revolutionary at the time.

meh, anyways. I don't care who wins the fight. It's almost assuradly be Sephiroth, i just put up the arguement because I don't like people saying Seph could take Link down in a sword swing like a level 10 Cloud or Barrett.

Link's original...he deserves more respect than he's getting.

radioboy121
I'm sorry if I offended you, but I've never said there was anything wrong with Link. He's just outmatched.

Oh, and I think Super Famicon was 16-bit.

dark1365
Sephiroth = Boss
Link = Revered Hero.

el_barto
You're right, Link should be getting more respect. That would be a pretty interesting battle though.

SaTsuJiN
I thought link had control over time?... isnt that power alone enough to defeat sephiroth?

god number 2
i really dont have the right to say anything about link seeing as how ive never played a legend of zelda game however i imagine that the power over time is limited to a few seconds at most 30 because if it was infinite that would completely ruin any game wouldnt it? it would be pointless and just as bad as turning on immortality on mortal combat

god number 2
oh and by the way my vote is for sephiroth he is the original badass

Smasandian
He could move time from him being a tiny little kid to him being a adult. Being able to move time is ultimatly more powerful than anything else in videogame history. If he gets injured, he'll just move time back to the point where he was going to get injured.
But then again, this all specualtion because it was never done in the videogames. But to win, i dont know, i cant play final fantasy games.

DracotheDragon
Still Link! stick out tongue

TrAnCeDuO
as for time changing link can only go so far with that power.
sephy is (if im not mistaken) pretty damn old! especially for the fact hes just a clone of his former self. also (again if im not mistaken) isnt sephy the son of jenova?(the spirit of the planet itself?)

but in a realisitic case my vote is for sephy seeing as he knows some iaido and hes pretty quick so that shield shouldnt be a problem.

Lord Ryugen
Originally posted by TrAnCeDuO
as for time changing link can only go so far with that power.
sephy is (if im not mistaken) pretty damn old! especially for the fact hes just a clone of his former self. also (again if im not mistaken) isnt sephy the son of jenova?(the spirit of the planet itself?)

but in a realisitic case my vote is for sephy seeing as he knows some iaido and hes pretty quick so that shield shouldnt be a problem.

Okay, Sephiroth is not the son of Jenova. He is the son of Luceria, a scientist who worked for Hojo. Hojo pumped that much Mako and Jenova cells into him that when he went to Nibelhelm and found Jenova he thought that Jenova was his mother. Also Jenova is not the spirt of the Earth, she's an alien being often refered to as the 'Calamity from the skies' and the Sephiroth you fight in disc 3 is the original, the clone is only in the game for the 1st disc and first part of the 2nd. The real Sephiroth is found in the northen crater trapped in a giant materia crystal.

TrAnCeDuO
oh okay...sorry i didnt really pay much attention to the games storyline so i got this from mostly second hand. thanks for clearing that up.

AdventChild
Sephiroth would completly destroy link!! His speed is unmatchable his swordsman ship is unbeatable and to be beaten by a little elf is unrealistic....

el_barto
Originally posted by DracotheDragon
Still Link! stick out tongue

Ummmm, I hate to burst your bubble, but sephiroth in the poll so far is kicking links ass

DracotheDragon
Seph was beaten by a key. Checkmate dude. Link wins. End of discussion. stick out tongue

AdventChild
that's not the seph he was suggesting and that was a shadow of seph....so damn ignorant i swear.... Sephiroth anyday

DracotheDragon
Look who's talking adventchild (god, can't you think of anything original, that's another FF title....stick out tongue) at least I'm not a sheep that laps up anything squaresoft (square enix, I don't give a damn) throws at me. mad

Lionheart
does it really matter in the end there both still just polygons in cyberspace?

sith_darth_jay
OMG!!

this thread is back!!!

i'm sorry Draco, but this thread needs to be closed

TrAnCeDuO
Originally posted by AdventChild
that's not the seph he was suggesting and that was a shadow of seph....so damn ignorant i swear.... Sephiroth anyday

hey dont take him seriously stick out tongue
hes just afraid of alittle heated arguement so he decided on taking a small cheapshot.

Xiao_Qiao
Originally posted by Lionheart
I'm going to have to agree with Lionheart on this one...

Oh, and I have some news for DracotheDragon. Basically everyone in Kingdom Hearts was beaten by that said key if they fought Sora. Have you not realized it yet? If Link was a villan in that game he would suffer the same fate. Get over it.

DracotheDragon
thanks for that input, it wasn't something that was exactly nice trance. Anyway, shadow or not, seph would lose.

TrAnCeDuO
Originally posted by Lionheart

not really but its entertaining nonetheless. besides who cares? theres an entire board dedicated to this kinda stuff.

ChickinMeat
well, i know what links master sword is, but i dont know what seph's key defeat is, so ill vote link!

fopret
Look Sephiroth weilds the Masumune,a bloody long sword. Link on the other hand has a puny small sword, the likely hood of him getting close enough to strike Sephiroth let alonbe kill is less than 1 percent.

fopret
Also if Link was to speed up time,Sephiroth would be Immune as at the end of final fantasy 7 he is considered a god. No matter what you say Draco im sorry but it is a proven fact that Sephiroth could easily defeat Link.

Grd Adm. Thrawn
i agree with my buddy fopret link is a puny little elf while sephiroth becomes a god and even if he wasnt a god sephy would win hands down

SnakeStrife
i love link hes freaking bad ass he has great skill and has great ablities and powers........but when it comes down to it i have to say that one of my favorite characters would lose

link is a great but if you just try to consider who would win without there god like ablities Link would just not match up to sethiroth's skill

again i love link but when i try to consider this with no personal favorite in mind link just doesnt stand a chance which makes me kinda mad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.