Anakin's power

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ajrocksteady
Hello all! I wanted to make a comment and kind of ask a question. The one thing that really bothered me about EpII was the fact that they make such a big deal about anakin being the chosen one, but then didn't really show that he was unusually powerful(in my opinion) An example of this would be how they cut so much out of the Dooku duel, which for me wouldve been sufficient to convince me of his power.

I am just a little worried with all the duels and all the other ways that some of the jedi will perish, and the fact that obiwan beats him, that once again we will not be shown the extent of anakins power. Other than dispatching Dooku and Mace, i dont know what else he does, (nor do i want to know really). This may be a pointless thread but i'm just kind of worried that GL will try to make me think killing jedi younglings is supposed to be impressive. Someone just please tell me there are some amazing displays of power throughout the movie, without giving away too much.

One

Mortanius
Killing Jedi younglings is impressive; for Lucas.

ajrocksteady
Haha, i know! Ain't that some sh*t sick

wallalupp
I think his powers will be quite obvious, and remember hes a young jedi, he never becomes as good as he could have been

And also remember that Obi-wan is a very powerful jedi, even yoda "holds you(obi) in such high esteem" and hes much more experienced, and has more control of hes feeling than ani and to quote max payne "mad people make mistakes", and thats prolly what ani will do

ajrocksteady
After seeing that spoiler pic with Mace and his "posse" it became clear to me that Anakin WILL NOT kill those 3....Sidious will, which i think is sooo horrible considering he fights Yoda later. I just don't understand why GL is letting sidiuos, and i dont know, storm troopers probably, dispatch characters that Anakin should. In that vanity fair article he says Anakin had potential to be twice as powerful as the emperor. Umm.......CAN WE SEE SOME OF THAT POWER PLEASE!!!!!!!!!???????????

ajrocksteady
I know wallalupp, but if he loses most of his power after the duel, what makes him so special BEFORE that? Thats what i want to see. I hope ur right homey, i hope we see some good stuff

Ushgarak
Well, gee, he's still only a Jedi by that point, not a Master. Anakin is all about potential- potential that he never quite reaches.

ajrocksteady
He's not a master, but thats not what i'm debating. I'm fine with him losing to obiwan and all that, but i hope that they use him more than in EpII, cause he didn't really do anything special except kill some punk a$$ tusken raiders, get his duel get cut short by post editing, and get his arm chopped off

Ushgarak
Seriously, you should read what I said. He's about POTENTIAL. He CAN be the most powerful. But he's not, and because he is defeated by Obi-Wan, he never reaches that point.

Yet even as a Padawan, he gave a good effort against a Master, and as a Knight in the new film he will kill one. He is always playing above his level.

wallalupp
yea ush, thats my point, but I think he'll have alot more power than in epII, or at least I hope so

ajrocksteady
I feel u Ush, I guess its something that i have to get used to. I just think that "potential" is terrible for telling a story.

ajrocksteady
On top of that, what makes him more powerful than luke who beats Vader at the end of ROTJ? He was just a knight as well. See my point. Maybe i''m stretching but if u follow that logic, he's no more powerful than Luke. ehhhh.....headache

ajrocksteady
Even though i know thats not the case but i just expect to see Anakin do MORE than wht i'm thinking he's going to do

wallalupp
luke manages to beat vader cuz he turns to the dark side and releases his anger at vader, but he gets control of his feelings again, hence he is more powerful than ani emotionally, and more mature in a way,

but thats not the issue here, I hope as you there will be some display of power, And I think there will be one in the ani/obi duel.

We'll see in May

PVS
luke is NOT more emptionally powerful.
its all about circumstance. had luke been in anakin's shoes
he would have fallen too.

wallalupp
then why doesnt he turn all the way?
I mean he manages to turn back ani while the emperor is there tempting him, and stirring the anger in him
And ani had years of training, luke barely had any training at all, so I'm not buying it PVS

Darth Subjekt
look, as said by the big man himself, Anakin IS the most powerful in Ep3. OB1 just has experience on him. But as far as pure power, Anakin is the man, had he just been a little more "in control", OB1 would have been the one in lava and prolly dead. I think its BECAUSE of Anakins power, that allows him to survive his molten experience.

Well wallalupp, since Luke wasnt in the position of being a Jedi and having to go thru all the riggamaroe of its politics, i think he's a little more incontrol of his feelings. Had he just been thrust into it and not ever having experienced life otherwise, he prolly would have turned completely. But since he has life experience, and an identacle injury as his pops, i think thats what made him stop and think. Which is why he threw away his lightsaber, so he wouldnt have the temptation of killing Sidious out of anger. Anakin always felt he had something to prove whereas luke didnt. But yes i think we will see Anakin display the brunt of his power. How, i dont know...havent seen it yet, but he has to earn his rep in this film.

Darth_Nefarus
Subjekt, I agree with you. Anakin always felt like he needed recognition and whatnot and that he was special. I would too if I was told I was the chosen one of a religion dedicated to protecting the universe.

PVS, Anakin turned because he was arrogant because of the whole, "You're the chosen one" thing. I mean, the Jedi don't even know what it is, yet they expect Anakin to do it still. They learned from that mistake, and with Luke, merely taught him about the force and why we use it etc. I have to disagree with you in that had Luke been in Anakin's position, he would have killed Sidious before he touched a single Jedi.

Wallulap, I disagree. You can't just use the darkside and then ignore it. It's power is so alluring that once you truly use it, it consumes you and you are lost to it, the whole parasite thing. Luke gets angry, and attacks Vader, and leans on the darkside. If he really was using the darkside he would have just killed Vader and been done with it. Look at episode 1, Obi-Wan gets angry at Maul, but he doesn't use the darkside.

And this has been discussed by several people already. I think that it is clear to see that Anakin is the Star Wars Jesus. That being said; he turns to the darkside. Considering he has more midichlorians than anyone, and the darkside is so much more powerful because of the imbalance, is there really a point in denying Anakin/Vader's superiority? The Emperor may have the Sith lore, and magic, but Anakin has more of a connection to the force, and therefore I argue is more powerful. Nick Gillard said there are 9 levels of lightsaber combat, and only Anakin, Yoda and Sidious are at that level. That puts Anakin/Vader on a level with both Sidious and Yoda, therefore you can argue he is their equal and/or better than them.

wallalupp
actually in the ROTJ dvd commentary GL says that Luke turns to the dark side when he defeats vader, but seeing vaders mechanical hand he realizes he's on the same path as vader were and manages to gain control of his feelings

hang on a sec ill get the quote

wallalupp
"Then in the end, when he gives up, they really fight. Whats happening there, ultimately, is that luke is turning to the dark side. All is going to be lost" -GL

He says it in chapter 40 "Taking the bunker"

And he also says that attacking in anger IS using the dark side, so obi does it too in ep I

koolruningz
Exactly, Luke had Vader there in front of him to show what he could become if he stayed on the dark path. But Anakin didnt, he probably thought he could control the dark side but it ended up controlling him.

Darth Subjekt
nicely put....but had luke been in the same position, he'd-a turned too.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.