Convince me...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Imperial_Samura
In a moment of madness I decided to try to imitate, in a way, John Safran here.

Recently he had a documentary - John Safran vs God (feel free to discuss it if you like) where he investigated, poked fun at and revealed things about many major and not so major religions... Also as an aside he gave the audience the chance to vote for which religion he should join (if any)

Thus, I ask here which religion would you advocate (Technically I am happy with my Buddhism/something) to me. This is humorously intended, so, if you had to advocate a religion, how would you do it? What makes it the one for you or me?

debbiejo
Not intending to offend anyone, but I'll stick to the book, the only book that offers a Redeemer. wink

finti
Lady Chatterly's Lover?

debbiejo
I guess you could work your way up to where ever. Or disappear, but a Redeemer sounds good to me.

Haven't read Lady Chatterly' Lover

Philosophicus
Every religion offers a complimentary redeemer when you join, but just beware when you leave - you might get killed if you tell the outside world of the truth of the redeemer being absent minded.

Jackie Malfoy
No one could convince anyone.That is what free will is about.It is that we think for ourselfs and we believe what we want to belive.Convining you would be a waste of time because you want to believe what you want to believe just like me.JM

Philosophicus
Jackie, I totally agree with you.

big gay kirk
Become a follower of the Norse Gods..... we don't have to give stuff up, we don't have to forgive our enemies, and we have big fires and drink beer....

debbiejo
That is too funny....

Striel
I advocate being agnostic. Obviously not a religion, but it makes the most sense.

vicki horvath
I would choose Apostolic Churches, not structured religions that make up their own rules, not to mention a very major one that has child molestations going on. At least anything an Apostolic Church teaches can be backed up by the Word of God in The Bible. My Pastor always says if we hear ant preaching not related to the Bible, we should just walk out. Has not happened yet.

debbiejo
Well, you can't fall asleep in that church..I attended one probably similar to that until I was 14.

BackFire
Budhism seems pretty neat from what I can gather.

lil bitchiness
I think you should pick whatever path you think will bring you happiness.

Id recomend Buddhism, but its because it makes sense to me, it might not do so to you. happy

Read my siggy at the moment - that would be the reason for my recomendation. Also, Buddhism is broad, and it can fit anyone - some bddhist dont even believe in reincarnation.

God, the creator is not present in Buddhism (or at least my school of thought) we are eternal - much like energy - we were not made and cannot be destroyed, we just pass from one state to the other.

In some school of thought in Buddhism there are gods, but those are not to be worshiped - those are much less like us, reincarnation into the one of the 3 good realms of reincarnation - they are not the most favourite, as although they cannot feel physical pain, they are cursed with envy and jealousy of humans - they too are not eternal, so when their time is passed they will reincarnate again, till the circle of Samsara is broken.
Then you will exist and not exist at the same time - it is a state of mind which is absolutey content - and thus feel no need to be reborn again.
Some who have reached nirvana chose to be born again to help others on earth - not religiously, and not in a ''convert'' kinda way, but more in a just simply helping kind of way.

Not all Buddhist agree with the realms of reincarnation - that is mostly Tibetian Buddhsim....but i thought that idea was interesting, so i thought to tell you about it.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but this is the religion I recomend. It is the only religion in the world which does not condem homosexuality as a sin, and Buddha is the first and only religious leader who said that spiritualy men and women are the same, yet physically different.

big grin

gp christ loves
in all religions other than chritianity man has to work his way to god however in christianity gad came down to man i think its obvious what to believe

finti
in what way must jews and muslims work their way to god that christians must not?..and I thought you believed out of faith, not convenience

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Also, Buddhism is broad, and it can fit anyone - some bddhist dont even believe in reincarnation.

I am one of those.

Originally posted by lil bitchiness
God, the creator is not present in Buddhism (or at least my school of thought) we are eternal - much like energy - we were not made and cannot be destroyed, we just pass from one state to the other.

The form of Buddhism I practice does not deny the possibility of the existence of a god but considers its existence of non-existence to be largely irrelevant. A good person is a good person whether or not God exists. And if he is not, he was never really a good person in the first place, because he was doing the right things for all the wrong reasons. You are responsible for your current condition, and only you are responsible for changing it.

lil bitchiness
Which is really, basics of buddhism anyway. Buddhist believe that many people of other religions have reached enlightment based on their patience and good will and self understanding, so its not limited to Buddhist only. Which is really one of the reasons why I like Buddhism...and its lack of obsession of converting people Christianity and Islam seem to be a lot into.

Some schools of thought differ in many ways, but the underlying meaning is the same, it doesnt matter what you believe, its about being the good person, having a good conduct whoever you are and whatever you worship, which in my opinion is how people in 21st century should pervieve religon anyway...but thats just my opinion.

debbiejo
Buddhism sounds great if people practice what they preach...I don't know any Buddhists, thought I do have a friend that said she used to be.. She also said she had an alter and put herbs on it...and food.. though she said the food would stay there until it rotted...thats funny..lol

lil bitchiness
People can corrupt any religion, but its more down to person themselfs rather than an institution.

There are some extreamist Buddhists - for example many Buddhists in the east will not fight if someone beats them up, or even kills them, because they believe that the hate that springs from fighting back is more to be feared than physical death.

Violence and mindless submittion are preached against in buddhism...we dont really have a holy book or book of rules...you need to understand what is wrong and what is right, but releasing the truth.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.