Best Adventure Games??

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheTrooper
There i have to go with Monkey Island series. Best and funniest games ever created.

TOP 10:

Monkey Island 2
Monkey Island 1
Monkey Island 3
Monkey Island 4
Sam & Max
Day Of The Tentacle
Maniac Manison
The Digg
Zack McCraken
Tex murphy games ( pandora and under a killing moon)

SaTsuJiN
Mario 64

dark1365
mario 64.
DS version was weird(dumb controls, why is there a blasted run button?)

Zelda 64 OoT

Dazzler619
Spyro
Tomb Raider
Crash Bandicoot
Sonic Adventure

JLred
WOOH!!!!!!!!!!! RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ZELDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I want them to make a Zelda Ocarina of Time game for DS.
Mario 64 is a little odd compared to original Mario64

JLred

Maverick2364
Zelda owns all, except maybe the final fantasies.

ChickinMeat
I think when he said adventure games he meant to say point-and-click adventure games.

i am probably the only person to like toonstruck. also Discworld2 was an awesome game!

man i miss that genre

Lord_Andres
Dose Heroes count as adventure? if so Its by far the best!

SlipknoT
Indiana Jones

ragesRemorse
prince of persia, tomb raider, the suffering, and dino crises 2

TheTrooper
Yea i ment point-and-click , my bad.
no man i like discworld also, dont remember it so good but it was fun.
And as SLIPKNOT said. Indiana Jones, very good adventure games.
They dont make them like they did before sad

Really waiting for monkey island 5 and sam n max 2

JLred
point-and-click?

SaTsuJiN
oh point and click.. hmm.. does clocktower or flashback count?

dark1365
Point and click sucks.
At least the cartoon ones,.I mean like, GAWD.....those suck!

ragesRemorse
out of this world was everything that flashback wanted to be, just another example of Snes beating out sega. actraiser 2 was a kick ass adventure game too

Smasandian
Grim Fandango. Only played the demo, but that was a great demo

ragesRemorse
rune the Viking warlord was nice too. I love that game

TheTrooper
hmm what game is GAWD?? smile

Another World and Flashback are good games, only played them on Amiga. And mostly Another World, but those are more action adventures or what?

Fuzzy Blue Elf
The Zelda series. All the way!

dark1365
Yeah they are cool. At least OoT. MM was weird.

edwinian
Any Zelda game
Any Dragon Warrior game

Punk Tiger
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Starfox Adventures
Majora's Mask OK...

hotsauce6548
Zelda Ocarina of Time... all the way

Its my favorite game of all time.

JLred
so true^

Punk Tiger
Ocarina is the best Zelda game of all! And one of the best games ever created! I love you people who created Zelda!

JLred
I wanna get a gamecube so i can get the remake if they make one or if its already made.....

Punk Tiger
Get a Cube if you like your Nintendo games, plus there are some great games! And what do you mean ^ there ^ ?

NCRotCA
Mine would have to be:

1. Ever17: The Out of Infinity
2. Phantom of Inferno
3. Kana: Little Sister
4. The Longest Journey (+ Dreamfall)
5. Myst Series
6. Hotel Dusk: Room 215/Last Window: The Secret of Cape West
7. King's Quest Series
8. Portopia Renzoku Satsujin JikenPortopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken
9. Snatcher
10. Radical Dreamers: Nusumenai Hoseki

HM: Tsukihime, Fate/stay night, Narcissu/Narcissu: Side 2nd, True Remembrance, When They Cry (Higurashi + Umineko), The Dig, Grim Fandango, Mystery House, Gabriel Knight Series

More people need to play these incredible games.

Sappho
zelda ocarina of time
any ratchet and clank
metroid prime 2, if that counts.

NCRotCA
Nah. Adventure games have to predominantly be based purely around you taking a character through a journey by directing him as to what to do, and not being involved directly in the action. Zelda and Metroid are more action adventures and ratchet and clank according to the wiki page is a shooter/platformer.

Bardock42
Simon the Sorcerer

NCRotCA
Well it looks like I'm going to have to remove a few titles from my list as they are, quite clearly, not valid videogames, consequently rendering me an idiot for including them in the first place.

1. The Longest Journey (+ Dreamfall)
2. Myst Series
3. Hotel Dusk: Room 215/Last Window: The Secret of Cape West
4. King's Quest Series
5. Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken
6. Snatcher
7. Mystery House
8. The Dig
9. Gabriel Knight Series
10. Grim Fandango

Digi
A lot of people seem genre-confused. Either that or I am.

Sappho
its not that big of a deal.

Digi
Originally posted by Digi
A lot of people seem genre-confused. Either that or I am.

Originally posted by Sappho
its not that big of a deal.

Agreed, but then what's the point of making a distinction of "Adventure" in the title if we're just going to list shooters, platformers, or RPG's where an adventure happens (which is basically every game)? Might as well merge it with the "favorite game" thread.

srug

zelda ocarina of time
any ratchet and clank
metroid prime 2, if that counts.

...because, just being honest, not trying to be harsh, but that list doesn't have a single Adventure game in it imo, based on the industry definition of the word. Zelda and R&C have elements of adventure games, but wouldn't count as such if it were, say, receiving a label to go on the box.

§P0oONY
Grim Fandango takes it.

Discworld Noir,
Broken Steel 1 + 2,
Monkey Island games,
Simon the Sorcerer games.

And many more.

NCRotCA
Grim Fandango was great, but like with the other Lucas Arts Adventure Games (with the exception of The Dig) I couldn't take its story too seriously, given that it was more of a comedy than anything else. Extremely entertaining though, but stuff like the Longest Journey and Myst and certain visual novels like Ever17, Phantom of Inferno and Kana: Little Sister are far more memorable and meaningful as stories in my eyes simply because they had real emotional and dramatic value. But as I said I did really enjoy Grim Fandango, and I like the other LA Adventure games, but purely as entertainments.

Bardock42
Agreed, but then what's the point of making a distinction of "Adventure" in the title if we're just going to list shooters, platformers, or RPG's where an adventure happens (which is basically every game)? Might as well merge it with the "favorite game" thread.

srug

...because, just being honest, not trying to be harsh, but that list doesn't have a single Adventure game in it imo, based on the industry definition of the word. Zelda and R&C have elements of adventure games, but wouldn't count as such if it were, say, receiving a label to go on the box.

Well, those games are called action-adventures.

Video Game genres are a dreadful pile of idiocy though.

Bardock42
Oh talking about not so traditional adventure games, I very much liked Farenheit and Heavy Rain.

NCRotCA
Yeah, those would count. Should really get around to playing them one of these days though there seem to be mixed feelings about them.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by NCRotCA
Grim Fandango was great, but like with the other Lucas Arts Adventure Games (with the exception of The Dig) I couldn't take its story too seriously, given that it was more of a comedy than anything else. Extremely entertaining though, but stuff like the Longest Journey and Myst and certain visual novels like Ever17, Phantom of Inferno and Kana: Little Sister are far more memorable and meaningful as stories in my eyes simply because they had real emotional and dramatic value. But as I said I did really enjoy Grim Fandango, and I like the other LA Adventure games, but purely as entertainments. The Longest Journey was ace, never played the sequel though. That is the one where you play as an art student though? Right?

The humour surrounding Lucas Arts games is what made them brilliant.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Bardock42
Well, those games are called action-adventures.

Video Game genres are a dreadful pile of idiocy though. I wouldn't say so. You just get idiots who don't know how to categorise them. There are pretty simple boundaries with the occasional game which branches into many

You do see some silly people who say that Zelda is an RPG and stuff like that though. Which is pretty laughable, maybe Zelda 2 but that's about it. Action-Adventure is Zelda's genre. (Just like most games)

Phoenix3068
I still get into confusion when it comes to the difference between Adventure games and RPG's. Reason being because while a RPG takes different perspectives, it generally would always fall into an Adventure of some sort where someone must go somewhere and do something. That's a basic in an Adventure Game. If that were the case something like Oblivion could be considered an Adventure Game, but I bet people would argue with me on this smile

NCRotCA
Well what essentially defines an adventure game is that they take the action aspects out of the primary mode of gameplay, and where it's still present within the storyline, the action as far as the gameplay's concerned becomes replaced with the player simply directing the character as to what exactly to do, which would then usually be followed by your character's action being played out before you. The exact actions your character performs are essentially driven indirectly by your decisions rather than your direct control over the character. Though there are occasionally mini-games that are action oriented, but they obviously take up a very small portion of the gameplay. RPGs on the other hand feature battle systems that represent the majority of the gameplay that players directly involve themselves with, as well as typically systems such as gaining experience and levelling, as well as the use of statistics within the gameplay.

Adventure games also typically involve such things as exploration, puzzle/problem solving, item collection, and the game is generally driven entirely by storytelling, which is usually interactive. These are usually the only features that are brought into the action-adventure genre, where the stuff I was mentioning earlier is actually replaced with the player directly involving themselves into the action, and where the storytelling takes more of a back seat.

The wikipedia article's pretty comprehensive on the subject actually (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_game).

Bardock42

Sappho

well i mean if people start listing halo and other games that far off from an actual adventure game, then we got a problem. but someone stated earlier in a post that ratcet and clank/zelda shouldnt be here? i think those are close enough.

Bardock42
I think it wasn't the intend of the thread.

Phoenix3068
Then what about a game like Fable 3? The game starts with a character who goes through on a storyline but can free travel with the core purpose of the game to make your way to ruler and to defeat the darkness. That sounds like an adventure game by your definition.

§P0oONY
well i mean if people start listing halo and other games that far off from an actual adventure game, then we got a problem. but someone stated earlier in a post that ratcet and clank/zelda shouldnt be here? i think those are close enough. They;re not "Adventure" games though. erm

They're "Action-adventure"... A different genre. You can call me pedantic... but I'm right big grin

Originally posted by Phoenix3068
Then what about a game like Fable 3? The game starts with a character who goes through on a storyline but can free travel with the core purpose of the game to make your way to ruler and to defeat the darkness. That sounds like an adventure game by your definition. Fable 3 is an RPG. A Western Real Time RPG if we're going to be specific.

NCRotCA
Originally posted by Phoenix3068
Then what about a game like Fable 3? The game starts with a character who goes through on a storyline but can free travel with the core purpose of the game to make your way to ruler and to defeat the darkness. That sounds like an adventure game by your definition.

Well I've only played the first of the series, and it's been a while, but in the Fable games isn't the primary form of the gameplay action based, i.e. you press one button and it directly attacks with your sword, you press another button and it directly readies and fires an arrow, you press another button and it directly fires a spell etc.? For a game to be an adventure game it's required that there be a divorce between the action, if there is any, and your control over it. At best you direct a character into attempting a certain "action", however it's played out before you without your control and you have no influence over how effective it is or the success rate of it.

Digi

Sappho

RE: Blaxican
Halo.

AsbestosFlaygon
ICO
Shadow of the Colossus
God of War
Okami
Silent Hill
Reside

AsbestosFlaygon
Resident Evil
Fatal Frame
Clock Tower (underrated)

NCRotCA
Clock Tower's the only adventure game you listed, though now that you mention it I'd probably include it among my other HMs.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
ICO
Shadow of the Colossus
God of War
Okami
Silent Hill
Reside
Resident Evil
Fatal Frame
Clock Tower (underrated)

Action Adventure,
Action Adventure,
Action Adventure,
Action Adventure,
Survival Horror,
Reside?
Survival Horror,
Survival Horror,
Survivla Horror.

no2

Digi
lol, I started a definition war. I'm sincerely sorry.

embarrasment

StyleTime
It may make the thread more productive in this case though, so it's possibly a good thing you did.

The only adventure game I've played in recent memory is Trace Memory. I am not as accustomed to this style of play as some are, but I was fairly intrigued by it. I don't think its considered a top game of the genre, but I have very few experiences for comparison.

It's made me want to play more adventure games, at the very least.

MadMel
LOOM.
Monkey Island.
Kings Quest.

The end. big grin

Nephthys
Does Braid count? Yahtzee's told me that the game is good and so I must like it becuase he is my mummy and owns me.

MadMel
The time controlling game?
That's more of a puzzle platformer. erm

Nephthys

Kazenji
Monkey Island any of them
Sam & Max
Full Throttle

NCRotCA

Nephthys
The only one I've played is Broken Sword, of which I have the Trilogy. I spent most of the time on Gamefaqs trying to figure out what to do and then rage quit halfway through. This seems to be par for the course with most adventure games with their obscure logic.

Athel.davis
Best adventure games are as follow:

1) Star control
2) Monkey Island 2
3) Broken sword
4) Dead rising

MadMel
Star Control and Dead Rising are not adventure games. erm

One is a survival horror beat em up, and the other is a strategy game.

NCRotCA
As far as recent adventure games go, Amnesia: The Dark Descent is absolutely incredible. Very good modern adventure game right there.

AsbestosFlaygon
edit

NCRotCA
Just so you know I saw what you wrote before the edit and I did not appreciate that one bit.

athelnstone
Some Best Adventure Games are as below :

1) Zelda Ocarina of Time
2) Gamecube
3) Myst Series

Kazenji
Originally posted by athelnstone
Some Best Adventure Games are as below :

1) Zelda Ocarina of Time
2) Gamecube
3) Myst Series

Only got one right out of those.

RE: Blaxican
Halo

Nephthys
Oh you.

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Halo
WTF

Kazenji
Just ignore him he does that....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.