Napoleon Dynamite

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

moonwalker741
Can somebody please tell me the synopsis of this movie? i dont get the trailer or tv spots one bit.....

VållèjºKîd707
From imdb.com...

Preston, Idaho's most curious resident, Napoleon Dynamite (Heder), lives with his grandma and his 31-year-old brother (who cruises chat rooms for ladies) and works to help his best friend, Pedro (Efren Ramirez), snatch the Student Body President title from mean teen Summer Wheatley (Haylie Duff).

moonwalker741
oo

Mr.Snuggles
was that movie funny or what??? laughing

laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

plenTpak52
There really is no plot.

roundisfunny
Napoleon reminded me a lot of "Butt-head". The movie itself was funny, though.

Thirst
the previews looked hilarious enough

kbye

Elijah's Girl
That is THE funniest movie I've ever seen in my life (That and "Elf"wink! It's got really stupid humor (like me), and there is no plot. It doesn't need one. big grin

"Tina, you fat lard, come get some dinner! EAT THE FOOD!"

Tptmanno1
It was OK
It had its moments, but I don't see how people call it the best movie ever.

Myth
This was by far the funniest movie of the summer.

JKozzy
Not the funniest movie EVER like Tptmanno1 says, but at least the funniest of the summer, or the year, like Myth said.

dAgEnIuS
That movie was sooo stupid~
but that is precisely why it was soooooooooo hilarious~!~!
man, Napolean Dynamite is one of the funnnniest movies i've ever seen!!!

Curl_Up&Dye
It really had no plot....but it didnt much matter because it was so funny!!!!!!!

I absolutely loved it!!! One of the best film festival movies ive ever seen!!

Enjoying it however, requires a certain caliber of humor. You have to really like stupid humor (dumb+dumber, beavis+butthead) to like this movie

Drumdude1167
Im sorry but i usually see something in movies, and it this one...i....SAW IT, one of the greats, like monty python, with funny moments and sayings, like GOSH, and GEEZE

<<Solo>>
Jon was awesome in this one, MH will be awesome.

Drumdude1167
ok everyone....get this........NAPOLEON DYNAMITE 2, now if that ever happend i would giggle like a little school girl

Arahael
This movie has gotten cult classic written all over it. I absolutely loved it and now I've actually picked up some "Napoleonisms." Gosh, what do you think!

A4E
dont watcjh it dude is so boring!! i was like 'wtf' when it ended its just SOOOOOOOOOOOO BORING!! NO PLOT AT ALL!!

Cinemaddiction
The trailer would have told you there was no real plot. It was all about the exploits of Napoleon.

Drumdude1167
for one thing, learn to spell watch, for another, you obviously dont like good movies......who needs a plot with such humourous dialouge

Cinemaddiction
Pot, meet kettle. wink

A4E
well first of all, not bcuz ppl type fast and misspell some words mean they should learn how to spell, and you know what?it really is a great a movie!! deserves an oscar!! dialogue NOT funny... but i think u have a great taste! wink

ScorpioKitten
I don't think it needed to have a plot, the trailer even made it look like it didn't have a plot, it was sill ****ing hillarious. I loved it.

Tex
It was hilarious! I absolutely loved every moment of it!
So much so that I ran out and bought the DVD the day after renting it.

thumb up

Assassin Q
This is the best movie ever , GOSH!

Seriously , this movie deserves in Oscar XD

Tptmanno1
I wouldn't go THAT far,
and for the record, its NOT up there with classics like Monty Python and Dr. Strangelove.

Cinemaddiction
It's not Oscar worthy, and you couldn't compare it with those aforementioned films, anyway. It was a well-written, successful independent feature.

Abra
omg, this movie was hilarious. i just went and saw it. i love all the mexican parts, pedro was great.

Beastro
The movies stupidity was to unbearable.My friends walked out when they went to go see it.I felt like turning the tv off when I was watching.

Cinemaddiction
Funny, I felt the same way about "Fahrenheit 9/11". wink

MornGlory
I LOVED THIS MOVIE!
i dont care if it didnt have a plot - it was silly

KillTheLight
This was a dumb movie but it was funny.

Mane
I haven't enjoyed a plotless film this much since "Kung Pow" and "Rat Race".

Beastro
I sure hope your joking."Fahrenheit 9/11" was one of the most accomplished independent films of the year.It was also a really great well put-together documentary.

MornGlory
Fahrenheit 9/11 was a bunch of short truths

Mane
hysterical2

MornGlory
Michael Moore makes me want to yawn

Beastro
Thats your opinion which should be saved for another thread.I wont start a movie or political argument in this fine thread dedicated to a pointless movie starring droned highschoolers.This film is almost as bad as "envy" itself.

MornGlory
i know i already posted this pic.. but I am going it again.. cause I like it
http://nataliedee.com/072604/what-is-wrong-with-people.jpg

Beastro
Rather childish.I dont see how poking fuun at his weight has to do with politics.What a cheap shot.

Darth Revan
I watched this (most of it) at my friend's house today. It was funny, but like Tpt I don't see how people call it the funniest movie ever. The best part is where the kid's uncle smacks him in the face with the steak. The fact that it has no plot is exactly what makes it funny... Just a bunch of random events in basically chronological order.

MornGlory
who really cares.. no one

Beastro
If nobody cares then dont bring it up.

Darth Revan-I think its basically a movie where you love it or hate it.You either had it for not having a plot and it being dumb or love it for being dumb and not having a plot.Its almost based on what kind of movies you like."Dynamite" was creative and fresh but it was just to stupid and slow for me.

MornGlory
you dont get itno expression

Beastro
The movie?What's not to get.Three weird highschoolers all attempt to help out there mexican friend win an class election while Napolean's brother dates a girl from the internet.Really complicated.

MornGlory
NEVERMIND

Beastro
You cant just say nevermind in an Napolean Dynamite thread.

fruits
this movie is sooooooooooooooo funny!!!! i wanna learn his dance!!! smile

Loving_Daniel11
Looks like it.

BoYs*BoYs*BoYs
i thought this movie was so freakin hilarious! there was no plot...which was exactly why i thought it was funny!!! my and my sister and pretty much everyone from my school quote it!! its soo freakin hilarious!!!

Afro Cheese
I think this movie sucked. Almost no plot at all. It had a few random funny parts but overall I didn't like it.

Beastro
Boys-Your school must suck if thats all anyone says.Anyone who has a life would quote from a character who doesnt.

Cinemaddiction
Hilarity. "Napoleon" is so simplistic, even Mane could understand it. whistle

Gotta get the "D-Quan's Dance Moves" VHS. GAWD!

Beastro
Cinemaddiction,I didnt know there where other "24" fans like me around the boards.I to have the first 3 seasons on dvd.I think its the best show on network television.

And anyone who owns "High School High" is ok in my book big grin

Mane
Very funny, Cory. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Cinemaddiction
Check the "24" thread under the "Television" forums. I don't post there regularly, don't feel the need, but they all huddle there. And YES, I'm a gigando Zucker/Abrahams/Proft fanatic. I think I own all their movies except "Ruthless People", "BASEketball", and "Mafia". Sorry for gettin' off topic, but us crappy spoof fans are rare.

Mane, you do know I was kidding.. embarrasment

Mane
Yeah, I know. I can tell when you're serious and when you're joking with someone. yes

Cinemaddiction
You're my protege, and I love you, man.

Now. Back on topic. *fighting back tears*

Mane
laughing That's hilarious!

Beastro
Yeah ive been there.I geuss saying I havent met anyone like you was stretching it abit.

MornGlory
I just bought this DVD at one of those stores where you trade your old dvds and cds -

i got mine for $10 - good deal

Beastro
If you say so.I would've waited for 20 years and bought it at a thrift store bin for a buck.

The Tired Hiker
This movie is Cult Classic all the way. Gosh, it's like my favorite movie now! Serious. I borrowed it form my best friend, and he's never going to get it back.

misha
have you seen it yet? if you have i wont bother explaining!!

but i have to say this is THE FUNNIEST MOVIE ever!!
when i was watching it i was kinda bored, but now i think about it i love it in_love its the coolest movie ever!!

misha
mmm not really, i actually hate dumb and dumber, and beavis and butthead, theyre ok!!
this is a classic movie!!

Smasandian
I didnt find this funny at all. Aside from the dance sequence and the steak throwing bit, I was more depressed than entertained.
Dumb and Dumber, I felt was a much better movie.

indie_rocks
It interesting to read people's thoughts on this movie. It seems like many people are split down the middle- either they love it or hate it. I personally enjoyed it quite a bit when I saw it in theaters. When I viewed it on DVD I still enjoyed it but not as much as I did the first time. It's interesting that people seem to have this intense hatred for it. It doesn't seem like the time of movie that people would really despise, unless the hatred is fueled by the fact that it was hyped so much.

Ananbelle
My pal gave that to me. No wonder you don't get the trailers. A camera follows a bloke around Idaho in the early 90's and.....that's it. There is no definate plot. Though some parts were funny...("Tina you fat lard, eat your caserole"wink that one got me!
But, seriously, it's not about anything...just a dork with a dork friend and a dork brother and a dork girl and a prissy girl and a wannabe jock steroid-inflated (may or may not be true) uncle.

Green Day does rock!!!
Happy Dance

Ananbelle
...But it was funny....

BasketCase
I loved Napoleon Dynamite...i thought it was funny..
But it gets annoying when everyone at school quotes the movie..

Beastro
I have an intense hatred for it because so many people liked it an it was horrible.I didnt think people where that easily amused until I heard them say the loved the movie with a retarded high schooler,a retarded mexican,and a weird girl.

Cinemaddiction
So, you hate the movie because others liked it and you didn't? That's so goddamn ridiculously petty. Dislike the movie becaue you didn't like it, not just because it's en vogue to be anti-Napoleon.

cal31
Why, do either of those descriptions hit too close to home for you?

cal31
Yeah, that's the only thing. Samething happened with the Dave Chappelle show, funny as hell, but when every conversation you hear ends with "I'm Rick James *****!!", it gets kinda old.

Dogbert
It's the same way here...

Solo
Don't get me wrong, the movie is hella awesome. But when people say how original it is, that's going a little far. You can tell that the plot of the movie was somewhat inspired by movies like Rushmore.

Solo
There was a plot, the plot was that it was a few days of Napoleon's life. Sort of like Seinfeld.

Smasandian
But Seinfeld is alot better.

Cinemaddiction
There was no plot. Period. It was "a day in the life of...". What sets it apart is the surroundings, the rich characters, the score, and the simplicity.

But hey, of course there have been plenty of movies set in Idaho with a Latino exchange student running for class president, a boy who has a pet llama, a nerdy brother with an internet lover, a dirty old uncle who sells tupperware and bust enhancement pills, and uses absolutely NO cuss words whatsoever.

It's about as original as they come.

Crazyea6
It was ok and I wasnt very impressed.

Smasandian
Sometimes, originality does not mean I'm going to like it. I just didnt find it funny at all. It's almost like watching a teen suicide movie where he gets tormanted by everyone. The difference is that it has a pet llama and people like to eat steak.

cindyljoan
The plot of Napoleon D is all about friendship and courage. It's about being a square peg, yet fitting in. It's about liking yourself no matter what anyone else thinks of you. It's a movie that says sometimes people who tell tall tales can be endearing. It's a story about talent and the courage to let it shine. It's a story about success in the face of failure through the belief in one's self. Even if it sometimes moved like actors on valium, the point rung out loud and clear !

Pedro offers you his protection !

The Tired Hiker
Well, I loved the movie, and I've watched it like four times and still crack up every time. I think it is funny to those who can identify with Napoleon. I know I can. Many people compare the story to John Hughs's films, 'Sixteen Candles' 'Breakfast Club' etc. The only difference is that in Hughs's films the main characters are seeking acceptance and approval from their peers to fit in. Napoleon Dynamite, however, manages the same themes without the characters seeking this acceptance that Hughs so strongly conveys in his films. Napoleon has no idea he is a dork, and that is where the originality of this film shines through.

Tex
Your mom goes to college. laughing out loud

pcdiy_boy
Happy Dance It's ridiculous! I can't find it on internet.

The Tired Hiker
Here Tina, eat some ham. big grin

TheTrooper
i really didnt like the movie smile it had some funny parts but it wassent much. But then again i guess i dont relate to the guy. smile
But breakfast club is very good, one of all time greatest

Tex
Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. laughing out loud

Solo
Not saying much, when you can't spell humorous or dialogue.

WeluvTwinkie
Napoleon Dynamite is my soulmate.

Seriously, sometimes I feel like a female version of him. It's crazy.

Mr. Sparkle
please vote

Jeff-Man
vote for pedro

Mr. Sparkle
pedro because he has a mustache but i would totally do summer

ericadurancefan
my vote goes to pedro as well

Cinemaddiction
Pedro. He offers me his protection.

Jeff-Man
he'll make all your wildest dreams come true

Mr. Sparkle
idiot who voed for summer

Drumdude1167
lets see, whos hotter...hmmmmm.....summer

Cinemaddiction
roll eyes (sarcastic)

NicktheBassist
Definitley summer, despite pedro's protection and all, i still think summer is hotter. and thats what matters cool
Because as a great man once said (peter griffin): women are not people, they are playthings created by the lor Jesus Christ for our enjoyment.

JK, but its still a funny quote

NicktheBassist
there was actually a whole big debate about whether the movie was funny or not. i, of course, was on the funny side and thus concluded that everyone who was not..... had no sense of humor

i lovejake
pedro because he was amusing

OB1-adobe
Whatever I feel like! God!

Tex
Pedro because his Sledgehammer, its incredible.

Norma Jean
You mean Hilary Duff's older and more nasally-endowed sister? Puke.

Jeff-Man
i like pedro's wig.

Kip
go pedro go ho summer ho

Elektra_lover
If I vote for Pedro will you give me some tots?

Tex
No go get your own, I haven't eaten anything today! laughing out loud

Kip
*kicks the side pocket*

Elektra_lover
Ew Gross!

buttcrack
pedro all the way

Kip
come on he got like three feet of air on that jump you had to of seen it plus he has a wig

fruits
i Love Napoleon Dynamite and people who think it wasn't funny at all don't have much of a sense of humor in my opinion

Kip
yesssssss

Darth_Vader05
Pedro Sacnhez Rules but Summer is so ****ing hot.

ericadurancefan
i gave my vote to pedro as well but summer was far from hott i prefer her real life sister

Kip
oh yeah definately Hilary duff is hot but i want her and lohan together or its a no go well... maybe if im bored

ericadurancefan
thats a great idea,the two teen queens

Wolfie
Summer.

Just saw it, terrible movie.

Norma Jean
Does anyone realize that Uncle Rico played Delroy Lindo's lackey in Get Shorty??

Cinemaddiction
Haha. Yeah, Ronnie, who gets shot in the foot. erm

(BTW, I can't believe people are taking this poll seriously, as much as I can't believe the superficiality of some people on this board.)

Ananbelle
amen. big grin

Myth
Wow, you just butchered that quote. laughing

KidRock
This movie sucked.. I heard so many good things about it but i didnt laugh once. One of the gayest movies I have ever seen.

ericadurancefan
you just have no taste in movies,it was probably the funniest movie i have ever seen,i mean the scene with him dancing,classic

Velcro_Boy
dance

Kip
woo hoo
my sig rules

Cinemaddiction
Not so. People are going to have different tastes. "Napoleon Dynamite" is for a VERY selective audience. Thankfully, I'm in said audience.

Kip
geez you guys why dont nobody vote

Wolfie
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
(BTW, I can't believe people are taking this poll seriously, as much as I can't believe the superficiality of some people on this board.)
It's scary some fads that come out.

Originally posted by ericadurancefan
you just have no taste in movies,it was probably the funniest movie i have ever seen,i mean the scene with him dancing,classic
If you don't like one movie, it doesn't mean you have no taste in movies. This movie made The Master of Disguise look like Clerks.

The dancing scene was stupid. The director obviously wanted Napoleon to dance in a scene. When he couldn't think of an appropriate time, he Bsed it and said "the candidates need skits". I was in high school once. There were no skits in presidential elections.

Kip
ahhh its going away

Wolfie
Stop bumping it if no one has anything else to say about it. &gt;_&lt;

BasketCase
yeah, vote for pedro

firearm
i think this movie was one of the worst movie i've ever seen.
thru out the movie i laughed once and the rest of the movie pissed me off

firearm
the movie wasn't even funny. i had high hopes for the movie but my day was ruined just by watching it

Kip
pedro all the way bitches

Arcane
Pedro

PINBALL
If summer wasnt so hot id vote for Pedro but thats not the case

ApolloX
I liked the song Forever Young when Trish ditched Napoleon.

papabeard
This film is very funny, one of the funniest films i have ever seen.

No need for any plot as such, it is more of an exploratory journey, with some excellent and hilarious characters, instantly became on of my favourite films.

obsessedchyc21
all u people are liek sooo right napolean dynamite is THA coolest movie its so funnie me nd my friends are alwaiis quotin him liek
"gosh freakin idiot!"
"Tina u fat lard come get some breakfast"
or
"Tina u fat lard come get some dinner..EAT THA FOOD!!"
lol best movie

StrawNilla
I actually thought NP was a great, funny, mindnumbing movie.

Kagome2005
I thought it was a waste of time and money. I didn't laugh once

periera
God that movie was so retarded. I was really looking forward to seeing it and then I rented it and it was SUCH a letdown. Very overrated, and very stupid.

speiderman
"Do you drink 2% milke. I heard it makes you fat."

ashtonsNO1fan
Napolean Dynamite swiped 2 awards at the MTV Movie awards 2005. Best Movie and Best Breakthrough Male Performance. I haven't seen the film myself but i will rent it soon. Post ur views or jus chat about the movie here.

botankus
I thought it was a good movie. Getting 2 awards at the MTV Movie Awards lowers its credibility, unfortunately.

Smasandian
Best movie of the year?

I dont know about that.
I personally didnt like it but I can see why people do. Then again, its MTV.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by botankus
I thought it was a good movie. Getting 2 awards at the MTV Movie Awards lowers its credibility, unfortunately.

Disagree. MTV Awards are the only awards decided by people who actually pay to see the movies in the first place, being us.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>