Review: Taking Lives

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

movieman
Taking Lives was much better than I thought it'd be. I try to not to read reviews before seeing films, except by James Berardinelli, because I agree with him about 90% of the time. He said the film was very good, but the ending is cheesy and kills it. I agree with the first part, but not the second. I thought the ending fit. I didn't see it coming. It is a little cheesy, but I liked it.

The film is a little different that the trailers lead. It's pretty much about Illeana Scott, an FBI agent who goes to Montreal to help a friend out in solving a group of murders all linked to the same guy. So that's what she does. It's pretty thrilling, and has an extremely awesome scare in it, that got the entire audience.

It focuses more on the characters that the killings, and the action, and I think that sets it apart than many of the other films in the genre. Angelina Jolie was great. It's probably her best performance since Girl, Interrupted. Ethan Hawke was okay, though. Actually, he was pretty good too, just started off a little weak.

There are twists, obviously, but they're okay. Not too bad. I saw one, didn't see the other, and that's an accomplishment, I think. 'Cause it's either you see it, and accept it. Or you don't see it, but you don't see it because it's so preposterous, and you hate it. So it fits right in the middle of there.

Taking Lives: A

Cinemaddiction
Saw it today. The title is TOTALLY misleading, and I found it extremely boring. A couple of cheap scares, tagged on to a totally, totally predictable story.

roundisfunny
Highly predictable, although I thought that she was going to pull a gun from her fake womb.

I particularly enjoyed the product placement; the most blatant I've seen in quite some time.

"This exciting chase scene is brought to you by the new Mustang, now available in sexy metallic blue from your local Ford dealer! Mmm-mmm, just look how that baby handles! And is that a Chevy logo on the bad guy's car?"

At least they showed Angelina Jolie naked. I (and grateful horny males around the world) were pleasantly surprised to see that, especially since she's pretty well A-list now.

Cinemaddiction
If she did that then anyone who saw the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" remake would be up in arms over it. Although, this movie never really was high on the originality scale.

matchbox
i tohught the film was alright! i loved the nit at the start when he kicks that guy under the van. i tohught it would be the other guy that was the killer at first.

it was better than the average crap!

MildPossession
I am going to rent this online soon, have to see it, big fan of Jolie.

Is the Director's Cut much different to the original cinema release?

rwoonacott
I really loved the movie in all its glory. It was well directed, and you really never knew what was going to happen, well not until the end. I never found the movie misleading at all. I recommend this movie to anyone that loves suspense.

Cinemaddiction
It was predictible as can be. As soon as Ethan Hawke was sought for questioning, it was curtains. I'm surprised nobody else saw that coming.

JADE_THE_CSI
This movie f**king sucked! Where's my refund!!blowup

Don't forget to support our troops..........usaflag

TombRaiderGurl
this movie did not suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad

miahera
liked the movie but Angelina Jolie's character was kind of a disappointment. some detective mad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.