Movies or People Who DONT Deserve OSCARS!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sarita_dutta

belbel300
I totallt agree, especially with the Beauty and the Beast comment

belbel300
*totally

DVDFREAK
rene zellwegger-horrible actress
gwenyth paltrow-no talent

botankus
While I will admit Beauty and the Beast is one of Disney's best works, Silence of the Lambs is almost impossible to top. Jodie Foster completely makes the movie. And she wasn't even supposed to have that role. I forgot who the actress was but I think she was pregnant and turned down the role.

As for undeserving, ladies and gentlemen, let me present the #1 of all time. If it weren't for the Academy wanting a complete sweep for Titanic across the boards, there's no way on earth that it had better visual effects than Starship Troopers, end of story.

MildPossession
Agree with you there, oh and the actresses that turned the role down were Meg Ryan, and Michelle Pfeiffer.

Striel
you're being sarcastic, right?

Cinemaddiction
"Silence of the Lambs", in addition to being one of the most important ctime thrillers of all time, is indeed hard to top. "Beauty and the Beast", best picture? C'mon. From what I remember it was a nice movie, but new age Disney musicals are on trick, formulaic ponies.

bakerboy
Lets see, for me, silence of the lambs is one of the best thrillers ever and a better movie than the beauty and the beast, eventhought this is one of the best animation movies of all time. For that, i think that the silences of the lambs was worthy to get all those oscars. And in fact, jonathan demme thoght the movie with Michelle pfeiffer in it, she was the first choice. And i think that it would be interesting to see her as clarice sterling, evethought jodie foster did an amazing job.

Renne Zellwegger is a very good actress, but she deserved the oscar for chicago or for bridgett jones, not for could mountain, that was only an ok peformance.

Gwineth paltrow is only a decent actress sometimes, nothing more. Really , i hate that people like paltrow, halle berry or hilary swank has an oscar and not people like chaplin, buster keaton, the marx brothers, cary grant , peter sellers or alfred hitchcock. Its really absurd.

MildPossession
If that was to me, no I wasn't being sarcastic.

Stokely
I don't see any problem of who deserves what with the Oscars since it's a corrupt award ceremony to begin with. Who are they to decide what or who is better than the others?

Silence Of The Lambs is a great film btw. =)

Smasandian
Chicago I feel shouldnt of won the Best Picture. I felt Gangs of New York was alot better.

bilb
Oh man, no way in hell should Saving Private Ryan have lost to Shakespeare in Love.

That and Mira Sorvino for Supporting Actress

botankus
Agree with the first point, but for the second one, who would you have rather had win, Joan Allen? Kate Winslett?

Jackie Malfoy
Any horror movie.THey are stupid and very uncreative.JMtv_horror roll eyes (sarcastic)

botankus
Well, you don't have to worry about that one too much. Last time I checked none of the Halloween movies were raking in the statuettes.

ladygrim
CHicago wot a load of SH********T defintly shudnt of won nething for this lame effort of a movie

Mr Parker
same here,what the hell is this world coming to when a horror movie is named best picture over a classic like Beauty and the beast? mad

botankus
Last time I checked Silence of the Lambs was a thriller. Unless, of course, the final scene was too frightening for you.

bakerboy
Silence of the lambs isnt a horror movie, is a phsicogical thriller with some horror adds. But is a classic as beauty and the beast is. And horror and suspense movies have several masterpieces in its genere. total deserving oscar.

And please, someone could say to me that halle berry or gwineth paltrow deserves more the oscar than hitchock and chaplin, for example??

bakerboy
And about Chicago, is a great musical. The last great musical for the moment, better than the last moulin rouge. Gangs of new york was a great movie, but is based mainly in daniel day lewis performance and in the supporting actors and the artistic design. Di caprio and Diaz performances were too weak and the story was boring at times. Its a great movie, but have more flaws than Chicago.

BackFire
Chicago, Titanic, Forrest Gump, Julia Roberts

Red Superfly
I thought Forrest Gump was great.

But hell yeah, Julia Roberts. Bloody hell. She always plays a grinning Goomba in every movie she's in.

Renee Zellwegger is another one I don't care for. She has a wierd face and I think she hides orphans and dead bunny rabbits in those puffy cheeks of hers. Not to be trusted that one. And she sufferes from Julia Roberts syndrome too.

Titanic was good, but come on. Everyone watched it to see the boat sink in typical Cameron fashion. I know I was just pissed off over the fact she hogged that float all to herself and let her boyfriend die in ice cold water. Stupid film. He deliverred the sinking boat yes, but did he deliver Kate Winslet getting eaten by Great Whites at the end like everyone who saw that movie wanted? Hell no. Not worthy of an Oscar.

And Halle Berry just pisses me off. She made a good Storm and thats about it. She has about as much presence as Santa Claus in the summer (geddit? see what i did there? eh eh?).

BackFire
I love Forrest Gump too, but I think Shawshank Redemption was far more deserving.

bilb
Annie Hall (SW A New Hope should have won mad mad mad )

pr1983
tom hanks being screwed for castaway...

he deserved that oscar...

Jackie Malfoy
God only knows.But still it gets my blood going!JM mad

botankus
I also think Jackie Malfoy's Oscar wasn't deserved. wink

BlondeBombshell
Through history, a lot of the really great actors, actresses and directors have NOT won. Greta Garbo never won, or Cary Grant, and I don't think Alfred Hitchcock won.

But Goldie Hawn did. Why Goldie Hawn would win anything but another facelift is beyond me.

Smasandian
True, Shawshank Redemption was an excellent film also. That year was big for best picture with Pulp Fiction also in the running.

dber
Halle Berry

cgtuna21
I go with Smasandians comment, that 1994 was a huge year for movies. It's hard to choose between Forrest Gump, Pulp Fiction, and The Shawshank Redemption. I'd have to go with Pulp Fiction because its my all-time favorite and way to original.

Also in 1996, The English Patient won 9 oscars including best picture. Although I have never seen the movie actually, I don't know how it could get 9 oscars because a lot of people thought it was a waste of time. But was it any good because I want to see it?

Thoma5
agree totally

botankus
I'll tell you why. Every now and then the Academy tries to something "cute and trendy." Some of these tactics involve having a particular picture sweep through every single nominated award (ala Titanic and Return of the King) or lose every single nominated award (ala The Color Purple).

Let's just say the Academy's hip movement in 1996 was to initiate the commercialization of independent films.

A4E
pardon?!!?
rene zwellwegger is an AMAZING actress!! havent u seen cold mountain??!?!??
and gwenyth paltrow is not THAT good but she is alright...

A4E
u ppl have the worst taste in movies!!
shakespeare in love deseved ten times more an oscar than saving private ryan!!! and chicago was also amazing!!

botankus
Calm down, dude. It's all a matter opinion.

Just like an eight year old might think Garfield should have won Best Picture, a twenty-five year old might have thought Braveheart should have won Best Picture, and an eighty-three year old might have thought Shakespeare in Love should have won Best Picture. stick out tongue

pr1983
not to stir shit... but your kidding right? wink

A4E
- to stir shit - not I am not!!

botankus
I do believe we have found one of the Academy voters!

Now where are the other four?

A4E
ok braveheart was AMAZING and shakespeare in love was too... big grin

botankus who is it? eek!

ragesRemorse
Ghostbusters was a good movie and all, but i dont think it deserved an oscar.

Gisele
I hope hilary duff doesn'tsick

PIZZA WARRIOR
BRAVO !!!

I fully agree that giving "Silence of the Lambs" a Best Picutre was decided low point in the history of the Oscar, as well as a turning point as well.

Since that decision, it really hasn't been the same.

While it would be a stretch to have given it to "Beauty and the Beast" instead, it is preferable to give it to a film of merit that would entertain a general audience, than one so negative and dark.

As for the Oscars this year, my pick is the movie "Sideways".

A4E
Silence of the lambs!! didnt deserve an oscar?? what is wrong with u guys?? it's a classic, it mustve inspired like 80% of all the new criminal thrillers!!

ragesRemorse
Though silence of the lambs was a criminal thriller, and these types of movies usually never even get acknowledged for Oscars. Silence of the lambs is as well made a film as any other. The direction, acting, writing, and character development was superb. Many times, a nominee will be overlooked because of it's subject matter. Or it is focused upon soley for that very reason. I believe silence of the lambs was chosen for it's style and overall art of the film making process.

Fire
SOTL totally deserved the oscar

A4E
yup big grin

Red Superfly
Erm, Ghostbusters DEFINITELY deserved an Oscar. What a brilliant movie. To meld comedy, with sci-fi, with drama and make it into a summer blockbuster for the family deserves to be recognised. It was bizarrely realistic (that is, it had odd ghosts and crazy weapons, but it at least tried to explain it, made the proton packs seem lifelike, and even the explanation behind having a Stay Puft Marshamallow Man stomping around the city was actually genius) and the characters and performances were superb. It had everything, dark comedy, light comedy, stupid comedy, cute comedy, slapstick, punchlines, running gags, everything.

I am biased because I grew up with Ghostbusters and had the action figures, saw the movie a million times and still know every line. It has a cult following still to this day, and it's easy to see why.

I thought it was funny how they named the baby in GBII 'Oscar'.

Fire
I don't remember much drama in Ghostbusters tho

botankus
SOTL is very slick, smart, entertaining, provocative, and extremely well acted.

Ask anyone on the streets today what do you think of when you hear the name "Hannibal" and guess what they'd say. And how many people would have said that after "Manhunter?"

Darth Jello
low point? this thread has gone on for 3 pages and I can't believe no one has mentioned Cher or what a real piece of shit Moonstruck was!!!!

Fire
never seen moonstruck

Cher doesn't deserve an oscar

Darth Jello
thank you

Darth Jello
I think Ian Mcdiarmid has a chance of getting one next year

bilb
Oh man, that would be SOOOOOOOOo cool!!!

Myth
Woopi Goldberg - Ghost

BlazingBarrells
Wow, i liked SOTL better then B&tB. shakespeare in love deserved to be nominated but SHOULD NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT have beaten out SPR. SPR reinvented the way we look at war. FOREVER. Ghostbusters, hmmm, no oscars there. It is my personal opinion too, but i think Denzel should have had a nom. for man on fire. i thought was an amazing movie. definietly better than finding neverland. please.

Sadako of Girth
Yep... yes Daylight robbery that was.

Wolfie
I think a movie should have a maximum amount of awards it can win. Most of this year's winners had something to do with Million Dollar Baby or Ray. I'm not saying those are bad movies, just Garden State wasn't even nominated for anything. sad

forumcrew
i think martin scoreses was robbed for best director.. mainly because after watching million dollar baby i didnt see anything special.. the movie was very good but it didnt seem like there was any stand out directing it was pretty straight forward to me.. and i felt many directors deserved this more.. And i still think natalie portman had one of the top performances of the year in closer and got screwed by not having "the lead role"

ladygrim
i think many of this years qscar went to the rong peps

sarita_dutta
Well, Silence of The Lambs is good, but it no way deserved the Oscar over Beauty and the Beast. Just NO WAY!!!!

Today, all over the world, people remember Beauty and the Beast, everyone recalls the HEARTWARMING EMOTION, THE SPELLBINDING SCORE and the way the movie simply transported us to another world of INNOCENCE and TRANSIENCE. ITS AN ALL-TIME CLASSIC, something which Silence of the Lambs IS NOT!!! Its good, but not even the best of the genre. I can name better psychological thrillers any day! (take Dead Again for example) The Academy has NEVER been just.

Dont agree with me? Personal opinions vary and I would NOT like to change what anyone thinks. Thats not my principle. But just to mention, MOST MAJOR MOVIE REVIEW SITES SEEM TO THINK WHAT I JUST SAID. As an Example, You might want to check out this site

http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/movies/s/silence_lambs.html

Well, again I shall say, its my personal opinion. I shall not influence anyone's taste. But to me, Beauty and the Beast remains a far better movie than The Silence of the Lambs and should most definitely have won the Oscar.

jaden101
i tell you what was a total travesty...that "21 grams" never swept up in the oscars a couple of years ago...the acting is utterly magnificent...sean penn, benicio del torro and naomi watts put in career defining performances....the only thing penn has done better is i am sam and dead man walking

the film was crafted to try and repel the cinema going audience with very high pitched noises at parts as well as shifting between very dark scenes to overly exposed and very bright scenes which hurt the eyes

the non chronological order of the film made it confusing to the very end when all the pieces of the puzzle fitted together

i was very disappointed when it failed to even get nominated in any of the main catagories

as for the previous debate...beauty and the beast over silence of the lambs...i think that hannibal and red dragon have tainted silence of the lambs...to me silence of the lambs only failed in one aspect and that was the pace of the movie...it seemed to drag on forever and then zoom to the end in the last 15 minutes

hannibal was just crap and so was red dragon...

personally i would still go for silence of the lambs over beauty and the beast...

Jackie Malfoy
Originally posted by botankus
Last time I checked Silence of the Lambs was a thriller. Unless, of course, the final scene was too frightening for you.

Not for me but that is not the point.The point is that there is alot of great movies out there that deserve ocars.and to give a horror movie an award over a great movie that is not horror is wrong.JM cool

ra2085
OK.WHO!!1!!1!!1!1!1!1!1!!11 WTF LOL DO U THINK U AER!11!1!1!1!111111! OMG WTF LAT ME SE UR DAGRE IN CIENMA OR SOMATHNG!!1!11!!!1!1!!1111!!11111! THAY WON B/C THAY W3R3 TEH BST AT TAHT MOM3NT.AND!1111!!!1!!111!1! WTF LOL IT WAS D3CIEDD BY EXPARTS!!1!11!1!1!!!!11!111!!1 OMG WTF

botankus
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
Not for me but that is not the point.The point is that there is alot of great movies out there that deserve ocars.and to give a horror movie an award over a great movie that is not horror is wrong.JM cool

So what was the horror movie then???? Maybe you're thinking of The Exorcist.

Jackie Malfoy
I am talking about any horror movie.JMtv_horror

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy

I get the feeling that you don't read anyone's posts but your own.

Did you even pay attention to Botankus' response to your comments
?

As for undeserving of an oscar? There are so many. The oscars are just popularity contests within the academy often voted for reasons other than the performances mentioned.

One's that pop to mind are Marisa Tomai (sp?) and Halle Berry's wins. They are mediocre actresses at best, and neither of these performances were worth oscars.

botankus
Originally posted by KharmaDog
As for undeserving of an oscar? There are so many. The oscars are just popularity contests within the academy often voted for reasons other than the performances mentioned.

I agree and I believe it's widely known. About a week of so before Oscars you start hearing rumors about who's "due" for one and what trend the Oscars will follow this year. And the work that's "due" is hardly ever their best work.

bakerboy
Come on, what is the problem with horror movies? There are so many masterpieces in this genere as in any other genere, think on the universal classics, the german expressionist classics, the hammer classics, the exorcist, the omen, jaws, alien, the shinning, carrie, poltergeist, first halloween, texas chain massacre, first friday the 13th, evil dead, first nighmate on elm stree, etc, etc. I dont know what is the problem with a horror movie winning an oscar. There are good and bad movies, not good and bad generes.

By the way, the silence of the lambs ISNT a horror movie, its a thriller.

BlazingBarrells
By the way, the silence of the lambs ISNT a horror movie, its a thriller. yes ok i will give you some of that fact. It isnt meant to be a horror movie. But to some people, that is the most horrific thing that can happen. To me Seven is a horror movie. As with Breakdown. Yes they are a crime thriller and thriller, but i cant help look at the true horror behind both of them. I would consider them to be horror.

BlazingBarrells
and wow this thread went way of course from what it was intended to be.

jaden101
Originally posted by BlazingBarrells
and wow this thread went way of course from what it was intended to be.

dont they all roll eyes (sarcastic)

BackFire
Jamie Foxx shouldn't have won best actor this year.

BlazingBarrells
Originally posted by jaden101
dont they all roll eyes (sarcastic)

guess so! wink

Andrew McLeod
This year was angering, to say the least. My mother agrees that the Oscars went to undeserving people (along with a lot of other people I talked to the day after). Personally I think movies like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Garden State, and Closer all got ignored thanks to the Aviator and it's huge budget. I can't believe a movie like that was nominated for so much. It wasn't anything spectacular. It was not a good example of the art of filmmaking. The Academy is forgetting that filmmaking should be an art. They focus on the business side I guess.

Personall, the most angering of them all was when Charlize Theron won best Actress last year. Keisha Castle Hughes was way better. She did an amazing job.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.