Must be 18yrs or older to play video games in California

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WindDancer
First it was our beloved Governator Arnold and now there is this new clown making a law to prohibit the sale or rent of a video games to minors. Oh where has my Golden State gone to?. thumb down

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/02/18/news_6118860.html

dave123
yeah, but that won't stop anyone PLAYING them stick out tongue

StinkFist462
AB 450 can kiss my ass

Robo-Chocobo
look at california. that place has gotten so messed up when it comes to dumb laws.

ARC Trooper 117
Ha! Another reason why California sucks!
Go Texas! stick out tongue
Lol, that must suck for you minors.....laughing

WindDancer
Not only for the minors but also for the retaliers and Video Game industry. No matter how you look at it is still a stupid move. The Video Game industry is huge market. To put restrains on it will cause bad business. So not only are these people (who tried to banned video games) stupid, but also terrible business people. Kids buy more video games than adults. Just go to any Gamestop or EB games and you'll see the kiddies buying their Mario and Pokemon.

Smasandian
Does it stop all videogames or just mature violent ones?

BackFire
It's only violent games.

ZomBiE_HunTER
Thats so much Bullshit.

JKozzy
Yeah. I'm 17 now, so I'm fine. stick out tongue

Maverick2364
Er... California governor Arnold Schwartzenegger...

Need I say more? Play whatever violent games you want, everyone knows he's been in plenty of violent films anyhow.

SaTsuJiN
lmao yeah.. terminator ripping peoples arms off and shooting people in the face is going to tell kiddies to play nice.. roll eyes (sarcastic)

ZomBiE_HunTER
Retailers cant sell the games though right.

SaTsuJiN
I believe they're going to be able to sell the mature games.. its just that the minors will have to prove their age (through photo ID most likely) that they are of age to purchase the said violent game

Silver Stardust
It says it's for graphically violent games, which are generally rated M and therefore can't be sold to minors anyway.

Konjammenson
There is no saying that this bill is going to make it for sure though, it has been defeated before. How many times have old technology-hating people tried to blame violent video games for violent youth behavior? And how many times has that been proven wrong? If you really want to keep children from doing bad things the answer is not in video games its in the damn parenting.

Dogbert
ESRB ratings are a suggestion, not a law

Darth Surgent
In economic terms, parents are by far the largest purchasers of these games (yes, even the violent ones), so it doesn't really make too much of a difference to the industry.

Legally, I think it's wrong, but keep in mind that it's not guaranteed that this legislation will pass.

If the age being discussed was more like 12 or 13, I would actually agree with this bill.

ZomBiE_HunTER
Dont ppl have to do that now.

Hydrokronic
It dont matter anyways my parents buy me the games most of the time, plus ill be turning 18 in 2 more years so Its cool.

JKozzy
Suggestion for parents, and normal store policy for most. If I sell a rated M video game to a minor without asking for any sort of ID, I can get fired, bad references, and my name goes in the paper, and a lawsuit could also be filed against me. Sound a bit more than 'just a suggestion'

Smasandian
ESRB I think is a good thing. Movies have ratings, but it doesnt totally stop kids watching R movies. ESRB doesnt totally stop kids playing M games.

ZomBiE_HunTER
The place I go to they'll let me buy any M rated games with no problem. smile big grin

Stealth Agent
I live in californa and everyone's actually been bitching about this man it sucks

ZomBiE_HunTER
Are you 4real you live in Cali?If you do you should tell me what happen recently.

Stealth Agent
well there was this one chick on the street that had blue hair

ZomBiE_HunTER
Was she HOTT. cool

Dogbert
You live in a very bad state with horrid laws. I am truly sorry. ESRB is a perfect suggestion here.

Cid
that law SUCKS

Stealth Agent
if u like a watermelon where a ass should be

badsymbiote
This law won't make any difference in the long run. It's just a bigger pain in the butt for kids to get them, but they will anyway.

It will neither improve consumer nor parental awareness of video game violence, and just slightly extends the number of minutes in a day that the kids will have to be without their games.

It is a stupid gubernatorial formality to placate the busybodies trying to crush the industry. The gaming business is an unstoppable juggernaut--even Arnold can't hinder it's progress.

Tptmanno1
exactly,
I mean Alcohol is outlawed for minors, and you NEVER see or hear about minors drinking right?..... Right????

But seriously, I really dislike people like the guy mentioned in the artical.
Yee or whatever. People who are absolutly convinced that Video Games are like training for school shooters or somthing. Its entirly the oppsoite for most people, yes there are people who are unstable but that is regardless of whether they play video games or not! Video Games don't cause aggression they relieve it. its is soothing to play a violent video game after a frustrating day. It calms you.
These people are being counter intuitive

WindDancer
Our friend Yee is back on the news again. laughing out loud

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/632/632142p1.html

His case agaisn't video games makes me laugh. This guy is one of a kind. stick out tongue

Red Superfly
That'll teach all you Americans to not go around killing all your friends after playing Spongebob Squarepants.

Darth_Otaku
It doesn't mean they WON'T be selled.It means their gonna look more closely on that,what are they gonna do?Put a guard at the counter saying.Halt you can't sell that game to a minor!

hotsauce6548
AT LEAST half of the video gaming industry is surviving on minors and games intended for minors.

I'll bet this law doesn't get passed... no expression

Darth_Otaku
Originally posted by WindDancer
Our friend Yee is back on the news again. laughing out loud

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/632/632142p1.html

His case agaisn't video games makes me laugh. This guy is one of a kind. stick out tongue
And the worst thing is hat Mature in a ESRB rating,at least in The Netherlands,means 17+.Most 17+ guys have had sex before....

CorderaMitchell
I don't have a problem with the content as much as I would the child not understanding what they are watching or doing. Thats what the parent is there for, there's just some thing a child shouldn't see, until they've gotten older and understood some other things first.

Red Superfly
It's hilarious that Arnie tries to sabotage the industry, and yet he co-operated fully when it came to sticking his image, likeness and voice into the last few Terminator games. All for a price, of course.

CorderaMitchell
lol, he's just appealing to the public (taxpayers), all politics.

Darth Jello
san fransisco democrats have a trend of being corrupt, censor prone, right wing loonies. look at diane Fienswine.

WindDancer
Our beloved Governator is getting a lawsuit:

http://www.forbes.com/facesinthenews/2005/10/18/videogames-violence-sex-cx_gl_1018autofacescan06.html?partner=rss

Go Video Games!

Spelljammer
That's what you get for living in a blue state. If it were up to SpellJammer, we'd stop making wars with second rate countries like Iraq and just bomb the hell out of New York and Californa.

Don't worry, you can come live with SpellJammer.. wink

soleran30
If you have highspeed click the link and then click on Arnold for govenor its priceless!

http://www.jibjab.com/Movies/Home.aspx

mattador
haha California laughing out loud

Tru_Slice
Hey, you're a polititian in California, life is great, nothing is wrong...sooo not a polatitian's world.

See, life is so good over there, that they often have nothing to b***h about and then they make up these lame @$$ laws.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.