Magus VS. Pre-Crisis Superman and The Green Lantern(Hal Jordan) before he turned evil

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sentry
Here's a little reminder on who Magus is:

Real name: Magus (English equivalent of his name in his own language)
Identity: The general populace of Earth is unaware of the Magus's existence
Legal status: Citizen of an unidentified planet
Other aliases: None known
Place of birth: An unidentified planet
Marital status: Unrevealed, perhaps inapplicable
Known relatives: Warlock (son)
Group affiliation: None
Base of operations: An unidentified planet
First appearance: NEW MUTANTS #18

Height: Variable. The Magus' height has ranged from 6 feet to .5 astronomical units (45 million miles).
Weight: Variable
Eyes: Black
Hair: In his true form the Magus has no hair although portions of his head resemble hair.

Strength level: At full power the Magus possesses enough strength to rend an entire star in two and hurl part of it through space.

Known superhuman powers: The Magus is a form of "techno-organic" life, meaning the organic substance of his body is similar to metal (as that of Colossus in his armored form is, though in a different way), and his bodily structure resembles machinery in various ways (for example, organic "circuitry-tike" structures can be seen on the surface of his body).

Like his son Warlock, the Magus can change his shape into that of virtually any solid living being or machine. When he takes the form of an Earth living being, he does not look at ail like a machine, but looks exactly as that living being does. When the Magus takes the form of a machine, he retains his intelligence. He uses his own life energies to empower himself when in machine form. (Hence, if the Magus took the form of a helicopter, his own energies would cause it to fly, not gasoline.) The Magus can draw molecules from an unknown, possibly extra-dimensional source to add to his own mass.

The Magus can replenish his life energies by transforming living creatures into techno-organic beings, and then draining their life energies into himself, killing them in the process The exact means by which the Magus transforms other beings is unknown. The Magus must touch his victim to effect the transformation. The Magus can exist in the vacuum of outer space without protection, and can enter and travel through hyperspace at great speed.

The Magus's level of power is immeasurably greater than the present level possessed by his son Warlock. At full power the Magus can grow to the size of a star, rend the star in half without harm to himself, and hurl part of the star through space. It is not known how the Magus can so greatly increase or diminish his amount of mass. In roughly human-sized form the Magus's physical strength and resistance to injury appear to be considerably more limited, although still far greater than human.

Apparently the Magus has limited telepathic powers that enabled him to learn English from the minds of the three X-Men he encountered.

Can the Man Of Steel and Hal Jordan take on this monster. I think not. Maybe quite few more GL's and the rest of the JLA. Then they stand a chance. Maybe.

spetznaz
The only way Hal Jordan could take down the Magus at his max (note: max since the Magus is not always written as a star-hurling juggernaut of power ...at times he seems like a merely more powerful version of Warlock) is if he was Parallax. As Parallax he could take care of the Magus, and do it without any significant exertion at that. But you emphasized that this was Hal before he went down his little path of insanity, thus basically a 'normal' GL with amazing will power. In essence, Hal would fall. As Parallax he would wipe the universe with Magus' remains, but as a 'normal' GL he would be found lacking.

We move to Superman. PRe-Crisis Superman. This guy basically had powers up his wazoo, from strength levels that would put the current version of Superman to shame to 'exotic powers ranging from Super-ventroloquism, shape-changing (yes, he had it - for example he could change his face structure by vibrating his molecules, which is why people couldn't tell who he was as Clark Kent. The whole spectacles thing made sense once), super-intelligence, the ability to make machines in seconds that would give Doom and Reed Richards migraines, and so on. And furthermore he could develop powers on the go to match whatever crisis that was facing him. Thus he was essentially unbeatable since his writers could just insert a new power whenever he faced something that was beyond his established powers.

But, barring extreme writing, the Magus (again, the Magus at his max) would be beyond any Superman short of Prime. However this would be barring extreme writing, and when it comes to Pre-Crisis Superman the only people who write in a more insane manner than the people who wrote for him are the Hulk and Juggernaut fanboys in this forum (i've seen fanboys go into seizures claiming how the Hulk can 'do whatever cause he is strong and momm said so' and such trash!). Hence, there is a good chance of Pre-Crisis Supes acquiring a 'new' power that is perfectly suited towards taking Magus down.

However, if I WAS TO WRITE this, i would give the win to Magus (if he is at his max). With the given parameters it would be too much of a stretch to give either Supes or Hal the win.

Caveat 1: Change Hal to Parallax and Magus would be destroyed in one frame. Would save a lot of paper.

Caveat 2: Have the writers that wrote Pre-Crisis have a say in the fight and Superman wins. And not only that, but he saves an alien civilization in the process, whips galactic dust to create a binary star, and goes so fast he travels back in time where he introduces our ancestors to the wonders of irrigation and agriculture! Oh, and he does this in 10 picoseconds (he manages to teach our ancestors using super-telepathy by installing the modes of agiculture directly to their frontal cortex). The only power that would stop him would be a rabid Hulk/Juggernaut fanboy taking DC and Marvel hostage, and changing the printing, so that 8th day Juggernaut and War Hulk show their 'immense strength that cannot be defeated' and such junk!

Sentry
Nice response Spetsnaz. I agree with you if it were Prime of Parallax, Magus would lose. I have a comic of Prime and a few of Parallax, and their both monsters.

spetznaz
Yeah, they are monsters. And it is nice that you have the comics ...it is refreshing to see someone who actually had read stuff before posting. A few days ago someone was trying to 'prove' how the Hulk could defeat Superman Prime in an arm-wrestling match (insanity i tell ya, and i'm certain the dude had never even picked up a book with Prime on it), and i am sure sooner or later there will be some hombre starting a thread that asks who would win in a fight between the Juggernaut and Parallax!!!!!! And that the dude will claim Juggernaut would win because of Cyttorak and such crap, without even taking time to find out who the heck Parallax is!

Seriously some people take peyote-based psychedelics here.

But anyways, good thread. I'd give it to Magus under the parameters you set, but change it one way or the other and Magus might as well be a mouse.

eleveninches
I don't know. As Gl, he managed to beat Krona (entropy) and the old timer (a mad guardian who at the time had all of the GL oan power).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.