The Whole Story Behind Prozac Nation (and the delays)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Jello
Alright, so many of you have probably been anticipating the release of Prozac Nation, the film adaptation of Elizabeth Wurtzel's wonderful book, and to many of you, your first chance to see Christina Ricci naked (both valid reasons, though the former is probably more noble than the latter). the movie was filmed in 2001 and has been delayed many times. so many in fact that it has been released in many other countries but still has seen absolutely no US release.
So why? Well, I met Elizabeth Wurtzel at a book signing at my university at the time in early 2004 and she told me exactly why. Christina Ricci put her entire heart into getting the movie made but certain test audiences didn't like it. This lead Mirimax to plan a limited, independant cinema release followed by a possible wider release. then around 2002, Liz pissed off a lot of retarded people with an innocent comment basically saying (and i'm paraphrasing here) that 9/11 was the most retarded art project she had ever seen.
Now Miramax is owned by Disney, and since Liz Wurtzel can't exactly get the kind of public support that Michael Moore can get, the in house censors at both companies caved into pressure from certain in house censors and shelved the movie indefinitely. I'm not certain but i'm sure the usual scumf*cks (Donald "I don't like Jews" Wildmon, Pat "blood diamond" Robertson, Jeb "Disney World tax relief" Bush) were responsible.
At this point things are looking a little up with a showing scheduled on the STARZ! network and some possible limited showings in March (this has happened before and was canceled every time). Hopefully this movie will see a US DVD release at the least so that we may make our own judgements about a movie that has been generally well regarded overseas and not let Miz Wurtzel become another blacklisted casualty in this countries war on intellectualism (if anyone wants to talk about this in another forum, I am going to try and take one of Ward Churchill's classes next semester).
What you could really do about this is go to your bookstores and libraries and read the book (which is amazing), and then combat censorship in the best way:Instead of telling publishers and Miramax and Disney what you don't like, Email them and tell them what you do like. Most giant multinationals don't really give a flying turtle f*ck about outrage unless it costs them sales points. If they see there is a market for this film. they will release it.

Cinemaddiction
And almost 5 months later, it hit video stores. I caught it last night, and thought it was easily Christina Ricci's best performance to date. Hell, even Jessica Lange still has what it takes. Seemed a little too "convenient" in the ways of depicting "depression", not enough risks taken, IMO. Still, pretty good flick overall, and I rated it high for Ricci.

Darth Jello
well it is based on elizabeth wurtzel's book about her own struggle with depression.

MildPossession
Still yet to see the film, hopefully it will get a dvd release here or I will have to get region 1. Read the book though and enjoyed it a lot, so looking forwards to the film.

Darth Jello
it already has a dvd release in the UK, it's had one since 2003

MildPossession
Actually it's not on dvd here in England. It's on region 2 in other countries, but not the UK.

Darth Jello
well, all i can tell you is cross the channel for an afternoon. oh and say hi to my friend emma

MildPossession
Or I just order it online...

Erazmus
Honestly, I just want to see Ricci naked.

stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.