mvp baseball 2005 vs. espn 2k5

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

justinday15
Which is better? I like mvp baseball better.

Smasandian
MVP baseball for sure.

I havnt played espn but from what i heared its looks retarded.
First, It has a Slamzone, thats slows down time and allows you to button mash for homeruns. Come on, thats pure sim to me.
Or, the animations are bloody awful and hitting is way to easy.
MVP 2005 is amazing. It took 2004 and adding some useful features.
THe animations look fantastic, the pitching is flawless and the hitting is spot on.
In MVP, there is a few nitpicks like fielders are way too good, its impossible to negotiate with players in owner mode and baserunning is too slow. Though, there is a game tuning file that allows you change what you think is better. It plays almost perfect realism baseball.
For example, It hit this low line drive down the side of first base, the 1b dived, knocked it down. At that time, my guy was booking it and trying to beat out the player. THe pitcher comes and covers first base and while im near the bag, the 1b is trying to pick up the ball to throw it. Because im booking it, the 1b is getting all frantic trying to pick up the ball and misses and bobbles the ball. I get the single.
Its those little instances that make the game so real. Shit that happens in real life, happens in the game. Its unbelievable.

justinday15
Does anyone know any cheats for owner mode? I'm always in debt.

Smasandian
Yah, thats one problem I had. You probably need to get rid of all big contracts.

I decided to quit the owner mode and go to dynasty mode instead.

Dr. Strangelove
I can't say which is better since 2k5 isn't coming out on the Gamecube, but MVP is everything I want out of a baseball game. Perfect.

To bad the MVP series is done since ESPN series took the exclusive rights. sad

Smasandian
Well not ESPN because EA has taken ESPN's rights. Ironic isnt it?
Also, 2k5 seems too arcadey to me with the inclusion of the Slamzone and 2 button hits (have a power button and contact button, which doesnt feel real to me)

It plays almost perfect baseball. There is some nit picks but it looks pretty damn real (error animations are spot on). The gameplay is pretty real also aside from ungodly speed that fielders run. For example, I had 99 fast guy hitting, he hits one down the line, the guy dives for it and I mean he reached out pretty far to get it, and the guy threw him out with some room to spare. Also, the outfielders can cover every single place in the outfield, no matter how hard you hit it.

Its still the best baseball game out there.

forumcrew
MVP

Maverick2364
I found these tips for owner mode in another forum. They work for me and they should work for all those who are struggling.

1. BE PATIENT! I read people complaining about being a million bucks in debt after a week and saying, "This is impossible, HELP!" Let me tell you something. It took me until the beginning of August to break into positive earnings. I may have peaked to around $100,000 somewhere in the middle, but it goes away with one road game. It takes time. Once you start getting to higher impact games, more fans show up to the park. The more fans, the more tickets sold. The more tickets sold, the more concessions and items sold. Catch my drift?

2. WIN. If your team wins, you get more people in the seats. I've noticed that I generally have a higher attendance after a victory than I do after a loss. Makes sense. Fans want to come see a team that wins, not a team that blows.

3. USE PROMOTIONS WISELY. I see a lot of people screwing promotions up. They can be VERY useful if used properly. First thing's first: Use promotions only when you're playing a game that is really not important. Second thing: Do not use promotions on the weekend. More people attend Saturday and Sunday games than during the week. Therefore, you want to lure fans to the park during the week. Do not use promotions everyday.

4. USE YOUR STARTING MONEY WISELY. Too many people use their starting money to upgrade their park or add attractions (Who cares about a batting cage?). It doesn't earn you revenue. Use your starting money to buy concessions and stores. I would suggest not purchasing anything BUT concessions and stores until they are all bought. The only thing I would update is the ballpark size, because obviously, the more seats you have, the more money you earn.

5. TICKET PRICING. Too many people overcharging for tickets. Guess what? It won't do you any good. Since my ballpark is only at phase two (With the OF seats) I only know how to price up to the OF seating. Here is a simple guideline to pricing. IMPACT GAMES of 5 or below, charge $40-45 for lower level, $20 for upper, $30 for field seats, and $15 for the OF seating. IMPACT games of 6-9, charge $50-25-30-15. For IMPACT games of 10 and ALL playoff games, charge $60-30-35-20. Obviously if you keep filling the park day in and day out, try increasing the prices a bit. If you still only get 40-50% attendance, try decreasing.

6. CONCESSION AND STORE PRICING. Simple. For all games of impact 1-9, drop the default value of EACH item one click over. When you get to impact games of 10 and playoff games, increase the prices back one click so they are default.

7. SPEND YOUR MONEY. When you make money, you need to spend it. Always spend at the END of homestands because that's when you have the most money. If you have $3 million and you just ended the homestand and you plan on saving that money, guess what? It's all going to disappear because you lose money when you go on the road and have off-days.

--also there are some great prospects like Mauer as an awesome catcher. You can create a player and sign him to your team for 300k a year, then bolster their stats and make them godly and you've got a cheap legendary player.

Smasandian
I hated Owner mode. I love running a team from a GM's point of view by finding out prospects/working your minor system and all that jazz. I also love playing a full season in one day by only playing 6 or 7 games and simming the rest.
In Owner mode, I felt that it took to much micromanagement and too much time out of my day. I scrapped it. I also didnt like that if you fantasy draft your team, its almost impossible to keep it. I enjoy taking a crap team and building them into contenders but sometimes I like to have a powerhouse and keep on winning.
If your drafting your team from the fantasy draft, Dont go for the main Pitchers like Martinez, Schilling or Wood. Go for guys like Jake Peavy, Perez for Pittsburgh, Zambrano from Cubs, Harden from A's. I have a full rotation with these guys and 3 of them make the same amount of money combined as of Pedro Martinez.

ScreamPaste
bump@

Peach
Do not bump up old threads for no reason.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.