Dooku Saber

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LanceWindu
I have the picture of the Count Dooku toy lightsaber. If anyone wants to see it let me know.

yerssot
talking about the one where OB1's is on it too, the one they made 5000 replicas for worldwide or the one where two kids arer fighting eachother with it?

mah
either way, I would really like that pic.

Emperor Helmet
Here is a real picture of it.

http://www.aldera.net/aaPics/guysw2-2.jpg

yerssot
so... you kept a close eye on this forum huh? Guess you missed that pic then...

Emperor Helmet
And the picture of the toy is 3 months old.

Here it is:

http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/2002/01/img/hasbrosabers_bg.jpg

yerssot
and now I expact the third link to show up roll eyes (sarcastic)

Emperor Helmet
I'm glad you expact it. laughing out loud

yerssot
hmm, should I be happy that you didn't post it or sad that you haven't found a link to it? big grin

LanceWindu
Nice to see that in the short time I was gone Emp Helmet had to turn around and use my thread for his own post count.

Ushgarak
Whatever. It's the best sabre ever, anyway.

LanceWindu
It would be very hard to duel with. It's very akward. I'll just have to buy the toy version of it to see what it's like.

Ushgarak
Huh? You don't know what you are talking about. You've obviously never held a pistol grip fencing sword. MUCH better than a straight grip.

LanceWindu
No I've never held a pistol grip sword

Ushgarak
Right. Look at the curved sabre. Turn it the other way around from how you would expect to hold it, so the curve points downwards. Imagine holding the grip like you would a gun, not a sword. Then imagine extending your right arm. That's a classic fencing grip.

LanceWindu
Ok, ok...let me visualvise it.

Cool

Ushgarak
You get a great reach, freedom of movement and fine control of your sword.

What you wouldn't get is a super-powerful blow. So what? One quick stab and you'll kill your opponent.

Fencing is a sword art from a time where opponents wear no armour (because of early guns). The important thing was to be fast and accurate. With an armourless opponent what you wanted as a long, quick blade, no need for it to be heavy at all.

Kendo, the dominant inspiration for earlier fights, was about fighting people in exquisite armour that was very useful in pre-gunpowder days. You needed strong, poweful blows to beat your opponents guard aside and slice through his armour.

As armour doesn't STOP sabres, the fencing form is more sensible to use.

Trouble is it normally looks damn dull. Obi-Wan and Vader fought with a two-handed fencing style in ANH, and that was actually pretty good but they couldn't do it more than once.

Nick Gillard, though, is a genius. Also, it is only Lee fighting this way, which looks good against a more flashy opponent. And in any case Lee would appear to be changing styles all the time anyway, like a true Master (but a right show-off...)

Julie
ohhh...now I really really want to see the movie....awesome sword fight to look forward to smile

LanceWindu
It would be awesome even without the curved saber

ToMacco
Kenobi is gonna grab Dooko's sabre away from him, and cut his ass in half, like he did to Maul.

yerssot
We always fence around in the morning with such a sword ... wink

Perhaps it was necesary for Lee cause of his age?

Emperor Helmet
Here is another picture of the saber with details:

http://www.afn.org/%7Eafn33990/visual/CD-2.jpg

Ushgarak
Actually, there is no reason why an older person cannot fight Kendo style.

But fencing is far more cool for Lee's character.

Obi-Wan isn't going to do a thing to Dooku, To...

yerssot
isn't it the goal for Kendo to hit the otherone in the head?

Ushgarak
I think it's a tad more complex than that, but that doesn't really matter. This is about style, not rules.

yerssot
hmm, when I think a bit more... points system with the head as most points

Emperor Helmet
It's a movie guys.

yerssot
talking about Kendo for a few posts now

C2-B1
Dooku's Saber looks great! I can't wait to see it used.

LanceWindu
But how can Kendo get implemented into swordplay?

yerssot
ask Nick Gellard, he's the dude!
every jedi has his own style

Ushgarak
Kendo has been implemented into Star Wars sword play since Empire Strikes Back. It's the default sabre form.

yerssot
ANH was sabre, right?

Ushgarak
It was based on fencing, which is what I think you meant.

yerssot
yup, that's what I ment...
I like GL's quote
"hacking and chopping" smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.