HOSTAGE ~ Starring Bruce Willis

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

A4E
Thriller
1 hr. 42 min. A police officer is wracked by guilt from a prior stint as a negotiator. When a mafia accountant is taken hostage on his beat, he must negotiate the standoff, even as his own family is held captive by the mob.
Release Date: March 11th, 2005 (wide).
MPAA Rating: R for strong graphic violence, language and some drug use.
Distributor: Miramax Films

Trailer

the movie looks really good!! kind of like 24 season 1

Norma Jean
I'll be seeing this.

Cinemaddiction
Ditto. Hostage movies are somethin' my girl digs as well, so, we're there.

A4E
big grin I unfortunaly have to wait until is out in DVD, but I can always get the bad copy erm

SnakeEyes
I will probably end up seeing this movie

botankus
I'll be there Friday night. However, since my fiancee and I trade movie picks, I still have to convince her that there, in fact, was a movie between Assault on Precinct 13 and this one.

botankus
Well, the fact that no one's posted on this movie all week and it's opening today is pathetic. So everyone who failed to post, unless you're going to be first in line for the new Cartoon opening today, there you go.

That reminds me, I'm going to have to sift through all of the 8-year olds tonight when I'm getting my Hostage tickets. Hopefully most of them will be on leashes.

Anyways, since no one seems interested in this film, I'll report on Monday or something after I see it.

MildPossession
I am interested in the film, should be seeing it next week sometime. Trailer looks interesting.

Deathblow
Looks like Die Hard 4 to me. Stick with the Shyamalan flicks Brucie.

botankus
The premise sounds good. I'm sure there will be flaws as in every big-budget thriller. What I had heard about it was that the teenaged robbery turns into a hostage situation and Willis' family is put in a hostage situation as well. Only whoever is making the demands will let Willis' family live at the expense of the first family's lives.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by botankus
Well, the fact that no one's posted on this movie all week and it's opening today is pathetic. So everyone who failed to post, unless you're going to be first in line for the new Cartoon opening today, there you go.

That reminds me, I'm going to have to sift through all of the 8-year olds tonight when I'm getting my Hostage tickets. Hopefully most of them will be on leashes.

Anyways, since no one seems interested in this film, I'll report on Monday or something after I see it.

Can't share anything but speculation on a movie that wasn't even promoted until 2 1/2 weeks before its debut, you know? People will talk about it once they see it.

I saw "Robots" this morning, and it was fantastic.

Smasandian
I heared this movie was pretty good.

uma040
nice trailer defo gonna c this movie cool

A4E
I know it really looks good

Myth
Just saw this. Good for action but don't expect anything too thought provolking. The end tries to turn it almost into a horror movie and I get a mixed "The Shining"/"Carrie" vibe. Overall was entertaining though, and it is pretty ruthless for an action flick.

Jackie Malfoy
I can't stand Bruce Willis so I do not plan to watch this movie.All his movies that I had seen I never like and he is such a big lible.JM

Myth
You don't like Bruce Willis? In anything? Not Pulp Fiction? Not Unbreakable? Not Sixth Sense? Nothing?

rox
can't wait to see him in sin city

Smasandian
Whats lible?

I love watching Bruce Willis in movies. I had a bad rap when it come down to actually acting back in the day when he was an action star, but I guess Pulp Fiction turned people's heads.

Myth
I think he is a fairly good actor. Not the greatest but he himself has never ruined a movie for me. Infact, I think he helps draw me into movies. I wouldn't have seen Hostage if it were Travolta, but Willis pulled me in.

botankus
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
I can't stand Bruce Willis so I do not plan to watch this movie.All his movies that I had seen I never like and he is such a big lible.JM

What is a lible?
Considering the daughter is your age, you might not like it, Jackie. Or, you might, depends. big grin

I ended up seeing it Saturday night and I'm trying to figure out why people are calling it Die Hard IV. Don't forget what those premises are about, Bruce Willis avoiding danger for 3/4ths of the movie, which wasn't the case in this.

I thought it was great. In fact, I know it was because my fiancee hates movies like this and she said afterwards she had to go to the bathroom about an hour into it, but she held it because she was so into the movie. And she never holds it!

Two scenes I thought were great: 1) When the cop is shot and crawls on the driveway, and Bruce Willis picks her up after maneuvering his vehicle backwards while being shot at. And 2) When you find out the FBI agents aren't necessarily on the right side of the law, if you know what I mean. I also like how they didn't rely TOO heavily on the kid and his sister's cell phone.

One thing I'm trying to figure out is how, when the kid retrieved his father's gun and left the DVDs on the floor, they discs got to their "Panic Room." I must have missed something there.

Would highly recommend it for Action/Willis fans. I am both and wasn't disappointed. It runs circles around Assault on Precinct 13, now that I think about it.

SaTsuJiN
I really enjoyed this movie.. I thought I wasnt gonna like it cuz it got quite a few bad reviews ( on www.rottentomatoes.com ) but when it was done I was pretty satisfied smile

Lord Shadow Z
I've read the book its based on but I don't really want to see it, probably because its looks to me to be more or less exactly like the book and in that case I know what happens.

botankus
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
I really enjoyed this movie.. I thought I wasnt gonna like it cuz it got quite a few bad reviews ( on www.rottentomatoes.com ) but when it was done I was pretty satisfied smile

rottentomatoes.com hates every movie! wink

Myth
Rottentomatoes is a good resource but you have to read the reviews, don't just look at the %.

Example of a bad review: "The action is dynamically filmed and Willis is at his best. Suspense is soon hijacked by outright gore and grisliness, though."
The part that many people didn't like, was the violence. I'm fine with that. Same happened with Kill Bill. The part they didn't like was the part I liked. You have to read what they didn't like and figure if that would apply to you, because I never hear violence and think, that will ruin the movie.

botankus
Originally posted by Myth
The part that many people didn't like, was the violence.

If Miramax would have sold out and made this PG-13, I would have p***ed on the screen and burned the theater down.

wuTa
i never read or pay attention to a movie critic...i dont need some hack telling me whats good and whats not

ragesRemorse
alot of senseless violence in this movie. Damn good senseless violence though.

Cinemaddiction
I finally saw it last night, and enjoyed it. Only gripe was that it could have been condensed by about 20 minutes, and the violence/gore could have been a little more thorough, instead of coming in clumps. I would have appreciated an explanation as to why they selected Bruce Willis's character to retrieve the DVD.

BackFire
I saw it last night too, also enjoyed it.

botankus
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
I finally saw it last night, and enjoyed it. Only gripe was that it could have been condensed by about 20 minutes, and the violence/gore could have been a little more thorough, instead of coming in clumps. I would have appreciated an explanation as to why they selected Bruce Willis's character to retrieve the DVD.

I saw it at the theater and have the DVD as well.

One thing I thought they cut out was when they were inside the house and it was burning, I thought in the theater that one guy's arm melted off at some point - definately the most gruesome part of the movie - but I didn't catch that on the DVD. I dunno, maybe I missed it on the DVD. Did you see that?

botankus
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
I would have appreciated an explanation as to why they selected Bruce Willis's character to retrieve the DVD.

Because he was in charge?

Dresta
it was pretty rubbish, although there was some good action. Sin city was a quality film though and bruce willis was really good in it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.