Owen Lars and C3PO

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

kiadimundijedi
Ok Guys go easy on me, im sure this thread has been here before...
But how do you think GL will explain how C3PO Lived with the lars family in episode 2, but Owen Lars has no clue who C3PO is in Episode 4. Are they going to have Owen Lars memory erased as well... WTF!!!

tlbauerle
Well...Threepio did look different...

In ANH when he introduces himself, Uncle Owen doesn't really listen to him or give a rat's ass what he has to say...

zavin
there are a lot of protocol droids like him

kiadimundijedi
Originally posted by tlbauerle

In ANH when he introduces himself, Uncle Owen doesn't really listen to him or give a rat's ass what he has to say...

Thats a bad excuse though... I mean come on, if I had a droid that was living with me for a few years, i think i would remember what i called it... I hope they explain this somehow in episode 3

Sadako of Girth
Hmmm. I see what you mean. C-3PO did introduce himself....
Maybe Lars somehow knew or expected that his memory was erased and that it no longer mattered WHO he was.....?

zavin
but not all droids have the same voice

Malic Clanorian
he lived with owen lars in episode 2? i dont remember that...i thought c3P0 was with anakin and padme the whole time...meh..

kiadimundijedi
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Hmmm. I see what you mean. C-3PO did introduce himself....
Maybe Lars somehow knew or expected that his memory was erased and that it no longer mattered WHO he was.....?

Maybe Owen Lars will witness the Memory Erased, But I would imagine that he would know who C3PO is associated with (being with an astro droid (R2D2)), I would think the droids would make him weary.

kiadimundijedi
Originally posted by Malic Clanorian
he lived with owen lars in episode 2? i dont remember that...i thought c3P0 was with anakin and padme the whole time...meh..

Well they found 3PO with the Lars Family, then they took him with them

Malic Clanorian
ohhh thats right...my bad i must have had my memory erased lol haha

kiadimundijedi
ohhh thats right...my bad i must have had my memory erased lol haha

Thats funny

Captain REX
Hmm...

Obi-Wan most likely told Owen Lars that he did not want Luke to find out about his father. 3PO, built by Luke's father, was something that Owen would rather overlook. 3PO didn't remember, so Owen figured he didn't either.

Just like he told Luke that his father was a freighter pilot...

kiadimundijedi
Originally posted by Captain REX
Hmm...

Obi-Wan most likely told Owen Lars that he did not want Luke to find out about his father. 3PO, built by Luke's father, was something that Owen would rather overlook. 3PO didn't remember, so Owen figured he didn't either.

Just like he told Luke that his father was a freighter pilot...

I guess... its just a section of the two stories that are not tied together...

Cheesiness
Alzheimer's Disease.

Captain REX
Originally posted by kiadimundijedi
I guess... its just a section of the two stories that are not tied together...

Not well tied, but they ARE tied, sort of.

What, you think Owen's going to go "Ah hell, I remember you, C-3PO! The guy who built you was Luke's father, who is now the evil Sith Lord ruling the universe!"

kiadimundijedi
Originally posted by Captain REX
Not well tied, but they ARE tied, sort of.

What, you think Owen's going to go "Ah hell, I remember you, C-3PO! The guy who built you was Luke's father, who is now the evil Sith Lord ruling the universe!"

No I would expect him to not buy a droid that is linked to anything that would get his family killed.

Altar[1stONE]
"i told you to forget it"- owen lars

Sadako of Girth
Hmmm Just had a thought or two. Owen was pretty keen for the help on the farm, and he was also pretty keen to get Luke to get the droids memories erased-
Telling Luke to do it before going to Anchorhead and such.

THIS could explain it... He did want the help, but also he (Perhaps not knowing about 3PO's memory being erased previously) wanted to make sure they wouldn't be a problem.
Also... I think that its possible that Owen didn't have any serious personal problems with Kenobi or the droids, he just wanted Luke to stay safe on Tatooine and a part of the family as he had been for 18 yrs......

kiadimundijedi
Hmmm Just had a thought or two. Owen was pretty keen for the help on the farm, and he was also pretty keen to get Luke to get the droids memory erased-
Telling Luke to do it before going to Anchorhead and such.
THIS could explain it... He did want the help, but also he (Perhaps not knowing about 3PO's memory being erased previously) wanted to make sure they wouldn't be a problem.
Also... I think that its possible that Owen didn't have any serious personal problems with Kenobi or the droids, he just wanted Luke to stay safe on Tatooine and a part of the family as he had been for 18 yrs......

He only mentioned to have thier memories erased after the droid mentioned Ben

Sadako of Girth
True. I was thinking that again- he just didn't want Luke getting involved,
suspecting that this message business would be connected to the rebellion and that he'd possibly have to see Luke leave on this mission with Kenobi or that Kenobi might disclose the truth about Luke's lineage.

Perhaps in regard to the droid memory thing, he might assume that the Jawas would've erased their memories.... Still. Maybe as discussed earlier, it could transpire that Owen was told of the erasing... The only thing that makes me doubt that Owen SAW the erasing in Ep3 is that by all spoiler info, it seems to be Bail that does it on the Tantive 4....

It especially as the droids go to Alderaan with Leia and Bail and nowhere near Tatooine. (Apparently at least anyway...)

kiadimundijedi
I guess things could be viewed multiple ways... but it is the one link that has no direct explanation...

Malic Clanorian
goood thread topic...i know i never would have thought about this connection i applaud your thread thumb up rock beer Happy Dance

Sadako of Girth
Yeah.... yes Interesting stuff....
Even if we get no direct explaination, maybe Ep3'll eliminate a few possiblities allowing our conclusions to be easier to come to....

Captain REX
Well, Owen knows full well who Ben actually is. R2 mentions Ben, Owen goes 'oh shit...'

Better wipe 'em again!

kiadimundijedi
goood thread topic...i know i never would have thought about this connection i applaud your thread thumb up rock beer Happy Dance

Thanks, I just feel that in episode 3 they should make fit an explanation

kiadimundijedi
OWEN SHOULD HAVE NEVER BOUGHT THEM DROIDS, THEY WERE STOLEN AFTER ALL...

Malic Clanorian
i agree aswell, they should fit everything

Captain REX

Oh, guess you didn't like the OT... stick out tongue

Sadako of Girth

Which is why I thought that he could've assumed that the Jawas would've erased their memories... Cant very well have your newly purchased stolen property being able to report it's own theft now can you... "Sloppy work by the Jawas" I bet he concluded....... laughing

kiadimundijedi
Which is why I thought that he could've assumed that the Jawas would've erased their memories... Cant very well have your newly purchased stolen property being able to report it's own theft now can you... "Sloppy work by the Jawas" I bet he concluded....... laughing

I think in ANH Owen acts as if he has no clue who those droids are because he didnt know, because ANH wasnt written yet... man there are some things about these new movies that GL should have left out, Like Darth Vader being C3POs Maker, and C3PO Living with the Lars family. it just doesnt work... Unless he makes it work

Malic Clanorian
i like darth vader being C3P0's maker...it makes good irony in that he becomes Luke's servant in the OT...and its also ironic that they both dont know the true back ground of one another..all the secrets are left in a little droid called R2-D2

Sadako of Girth
I think in ANH Owen acts as if he has no clue who those droids are because he didnt know, because ANH wasnt written yet... man there are some things about these new movies that GL should have left out, Like Darth Vader being C3POs Maker, and C3PO Living with the Lars family. it just doesnt work... Unless he makes it work

Yep I agree... He'd better be wearing his special extra-spangly backwards- logic-writing-pants on THIS one.... big grin

Malic Clanorian
i agree with the 3P0 living with Lars tho...def. need some good connection between them in epsiode 3

kiadimundijedi
Yep I agree... He'd better be wearing his special extra-spangly backwards- logic-writing-pants on THIS one.... big grin

I wonder if Lucusfilm designed those pants

Sadako of Girth
I wonder if Lucusfilm designed those pants

If they did, then expect them to be merchanising the hell out of them real soon, while threatening to sue anyone caught distributing them through any other channels..... laughing

DrSuperfresh
I think there are a few reasons Owen Lars doesn't remember 3P0. maybe he has a substance abuse problem (the guy looks pretty haggard plus would't living in the middle of nowhere your whole life turn you to drink?), Beru isn't really taking care of things in the bedroom which leaves him absent minded, distracted and abrupt with people, or he is a clone (which the TV series will of course deal with at length).

other than that i see no reasonable explanation.

Red Superfly
All this will be solved when Lucas makes the Special Special Edition DVDs.

George Lucas will add an extra scene into Star Wars A New Hope, whereby a CGI (oh yes, MUST be CGI, or Lucas head will explode) Escape Pod crash lands on Tatooine. A CGI (which, according to Lucas, stands for "Better"wink C3PO stumbles out of the wreckage and suffers from mild amnesia and a temporary loss of character.

C3PO (with concussion): "Oh noes! What am mesa going to dosa? Hey der little droid, whassa my namen oookie day?"

R2: "Boop bop, beep!"

C3PO (complete with Ahmed Best voice over): "Jeremy?"

*A CGI dewback walks very slowly across the screen, blocking the entire R2D2 scene where he is captured by the Jawas, and as the dewback goes off screen, we are at the Lars homestead, which, incidentally, now rotates, and is made of silver and the entire planet has had the sand replaced with treacle"

Owen Lars: "You, I suppose you are programmed for etiquette and protocol"

Owen Lars (dubbed over with James Earl Jones, over a subtle freeze frame): "I also have no idea who you are, C3PO"

C3PO: "Hello, I, am, Jeremy, human cyborg relations"

*The Ewoks arrive before C3PO can finish and start a dance. Darth Vader, watching this from his Death Star, sheds a tear of joy, and decides to give his son a call and clear things up. Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi, therefore, do not need botherring with, and plothole - solved!

Darth_Decimator
guys in a new hope 3-po NEVER introduced himself as C-3po, to my recollection it went this way
"you, i suppose youre programmed for ettiqutte and protocol"
"protocol, y its my primary function"
"i have no use for a protocol droid"
"of course you havent sir not in an enviorenment such as this"

and so on and so on, that one little convo is all the contact owen had with 3-po in a new hope, there are probably millions of 3-po protocol droids in the universe. he never knew it was him, plain and simple

Captain REX
I like Superfly's explanation...

carnage04
Ok, I havn't posted anything INSANELY off base yet, so I'm going to throw this one out there.

Owen Lars was in on the entire thing.

He bought the droids knowing darn well who they were and probably what they were about. If he had any reservations about them, He would have checked them out first. He had Luke do that.

The big thing in my mind was "You can't go away this year. I need you for the...uhm...harvest."

Perhaps he told by Obi-Wan that Luke's fate would follow some certain path, and untill ready for that path Luke stay with Owen. The pat would get laid before him and would lead him to Obi-Wan. Owen could have vaguely considered this a chance at this "Path". He seemed pretty concerned with his "That is what I am afraid of" line after the "He has too much of his father in him" line. It's possibly that he knows what is just around the corner.

He may not have liked the idea of Luke following Obi-Wan on some damn fool crusade, but he was in agreement to keep Luke right there untill, if ever, the right time came. Granted, Owen certainly didn't have the foresight to realize that he would get killed out of the deal...

mossman
Where is it written in stone that Owen does not recognise C-3PO?

He wants their memories erased ASAP, as far as I recall.
As soon as the name Obi-Wan comes up in conversation, I'm sure his fears are confirmed.

I don't see this need for everyone in a film to say what is on their minds: "You - protocol droid! I know you. You're that one who was built by Luke here's father. Y'no - Luke - the boy who I am trying to protect by making sure he never follows in his father's footsteps or learns the truth about what happened to Anakin and........ damn! Did I say all of that out loud? God, I'm stupid!"

guiro72
interesting thread.....this is something i've been thinking about for a few years now....i definitely think owen doesn't want luke involved, and that obi wan is luring him into the fold against owen's wishes.....on the topic of him not recognising 3p0, i always played that scene in my head and thought that it could be read that owen recognised him but was hiding his knowledge (same as whenever luke brings up "ben", and he gives beru a look and changes the subject) - this would be accidental obviously, as no one knew the plot of epII then.....however when i finally got around to rewatching anh again, there was nothing in the acting that i could read as owen recognising 3p0 and covering it up.....i had been remembering it differently in my head than the scene actually played....i was pretty disappointed.....so i guess the answer is that owen is a DAMN good actor.....or that it makes no sense.....

tachie5
Owen was justa kid teenager when threepio was around and threepio looked different. There are thousand protocol droids out there and threepio was sold to them by Jawas. Its been 20 years people. Think of the droids a pet. you had a dog 20 years ago that disapeared. Then some guy comes by and sells you a dog that looks just like yours 20 years ago. Are gonna actually think its the same freakin dog?

Sadako of Girth
I don't think Owen seems to care about or respect droids very much any how... I seems to be a little ignorant of their personal nature to me.... So I wouldn't be surprised if he had forgotten the name....
And yep. He certainly looks different enough in his appearance to fool the uninitiated... But HOW did he not pick up on thew whiny/prissy voice..? laughing

Red Superfly
"But I was going down to Toschii Station to pick up some power conveeeeeeerteerrrs"

"Excuse me, sir, you aren't related to master Ani are you?"

Sadako of Girth
laughing

OB1-adobe
I will give you a 2 reasons:

1) 3p0 looked different

2) In ANH 3P0 did not say his name when he talked to Owen at the sand crawler. Then after that he went straigt to the garage, then Luke ate dinner and came back and you know the rest. Owen had liittle if any contact with 3p0 at that point.

**Though what is interesting is that Owen immeditly recognizes the type of droid he is. "You must be programed for etiquet and protocol"

If you want a fan boy made up explaination here: Owen has a hunch that it was him, but did not really give a damn that much to find out. Even if he asked 3po about his past, it woudn't matter since the droid got his memory wiped anyway.

darthmaul1
I agree, C3PO did not introduce himself to Owen, only to Luke in the Garage so thats it
C3PO looked different last time he saw him anyway and just because you see a red ford focus and then you see another one a day later doesn't mean its the same one.

Darth_Nefarus
I've always assumed that Owen would ignore it because anything from Anakin's past, Owen would consider dangerous to Luke.
But good point whoever began this thread.

You know, it made me think about the scene where R2-D2 and Yoda fight. I'm hoping R2 and Yoda interact in episode 3. Rumors are showing that R2 keeps his memory, and that would make his fight with Yoda funnier IMHO

Yoda thought, "silly droid this is, hit it I must"

r2 beeped in his CPU, "Damnit Yoda, tell him you're a f*cking Jedi, train his *ss and go beat Vader's a** for building C-3-PO.

kiadimundijedi
Originally posted by tachie5
Owen was justa kid teenager when threepio was around and threepio looked different. There are thousand protocol droids out there and threepio was sold to them by Jawas. Its been 20 years people. Think of the droids a pet. you had a dog 20 years ago that disapeared. Then some guy comes by and sells you a dog that looks just like yours 20 years ago. Are gonna actually think its the same freakin dog?

If my dog could talk and had somewhat of a personality and then told me its name... I hope I didnt smoke my self so retarded that I wouldnt remember... You bet I would remember a pet after 20 yrs...

kiadimundijedi
Originally posted by OB1-adobe

1) 3p0 looked different

2) In ANH 3P0 did not say his name when he talked to Owen at the sand crawler. Then after that he went straigt to the garage, then Luke ate dinner and came back and you know the rest. Owen had liittle if any contact with 3p0 at that point.

**Though what is interesting is that Owen immeditly recognizes the type of droid he is. "You must be programed for etiquet and protocol"

If you want a fan boy made up explaination here: Owen has a hunch that it was him, but did not really give a damn that much to find out. Even if he asked 3po about his past, it woudn't matter since the droid got his memory wiped anyway.

I started this thread, and I will admit your point is the only one that has had any logic, but it still seems fishy

kiadimundijedi
Originally posted by darthmaul1
I agree, C3PO did not introduce himself to Owen, only to Luke in the Garage so thats it
C3PO looked different last time he saw him anyway and just because you see a red ford focus and then you see another one a day later doesn't mean its the same one.

Lets Hope Uncle Owen doesnt see C3PO in episode 3... and if he does then there is no excuse, i would remember that *** robot by its stupis silver leg. (which yes I understand he did not have in episode 2) Lets see what happens in the new movie.

kiadimundijedi
When do we find out 3PO is gay already?

ArthasKnight
I agree with OB1-adobe, threepio never said his name in front of Owen and, this has already been said, many protocol droids probably sound the same. Threepio was brown (copper?) colored when Owen last saw him so he probably figured it was a completely different droid.

JKozzy
Originally posted by tlbauerle

In ANH when he introduces himself, Uncle Owen doesn't really listen to him or give a rat's ass what he has to say... Originally posted by zavin
there are a lot of protocol droids like him Right. Take TC-14 from Episode I. Looked exactly like Threepio. And Owen didn't really try to hear his name, either. Just old age, I guess.Originally posted by ArthasKnight
I agree with OB1-adobe, threepio never said his name in front of Owen and, this has already been said, many protocol droids probably sound the same. Threepio was brown (copper?) colored when Owen last saw him so he probably figured it was a completely different droid. I don't think he figured, I doubt he gave two hoots, or even thought about the droid being similar. Probably never crossed his mind.

Red Superfly
I am wonderring what WOULD have happened if 3PO did introduce himself.....

Owen: "You, I suppose you're programmed for etiquette and protocol"

C3PO: "Yes sir, I am C3PO, human cyborg rela..." *WHACK!*

Owen: "Demon droid! I remember you!"

*Whack*

Owen: "You f**king sh*t! What did I say? Huh b*tch?"

*Pulls off C3POs legs*

C3PO: "Oh dear GOD! Stop! Oh God! Oh God!"

Owen: "Never to come back here? Yeah, thats right you f**ker, I said never come back....."

*Picks up hydro spanner*

C3PO: "No! Not the eyes! GYAAAAARGH!"

Luke: "I wanna go down to toschii Station to pick up some power conveeerrrterrr......DEAR CHRIST WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"

Owen: "Ah, Luke errr, nothing......."

*Owen pulls his pants back up*

C3PO: "Oh...dear... God......."

*3PO terminates self*

guiro72
can't think of anything to add except that concerning the protocol/etiquette point obi1adobe brought up, the model of droid that c3p0 is, is a protocol ettiquette droid....anytime you see a droid like that, that is it's function....i'm starting to think though that maybe owen might not realise at first, but twigs when 3p0 starts mentioning obi wan....the whole things not really a plot hole though, owen just wants to buy some droids, whether he recognises them or not doesn't really create a plot hole.....he just buys the best of what the jawas have to offer in order to get the work done on the farm.....i don't think he's really focusing that much on the fate of the galaxy.....

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by guiro72
can't think of anything to add except that concerning the protocol/etiquette point obi1adobe brought up, the model of droid that c3p0 is, is a protocol ettiquette droid....anytime you see a droid like that, that is it's function....i'm starting to think though that maybe owen might not realise at first, but twigs when 3p0 starts mentioning obi wan....the whole things not really a plot hole though, owen just wants to buy some droids, whether he recognises them or not doesn't really create a plot hole.....he just buys the best of what the jawas have to offer in order to get the work done on the farm.....i don't think he's really focusing that much on the fate of the galaxy.....

Luke is referring of R2-d2 as the one that knows Ob1. Owen is reffering specifically about R2. The conversation was about R2 at the dinner table, not 3p0.

cylob49
Lucas screwed up
thats it plain and simple
it was stupid having Anakin build 3p0
it would have made it a lot easier to have 3p0 working for Padme in EP1.

kiadimundijedi
Originally posted by carnage04
Ok, I havn't posted anything INSANELY off base yet, so I'm going to throw this one out there.

Owen Lars was in on the entire thing.

He bought the droids knowing darn well who they were and probably what they were about. If he had any reservations about them, He would have checked them out first. He had Luke do that.

The big thing in my mind was "You can't go away this year. I need you for the...uhm...harvest."

Perhaps he told by Obi-Wan that Luke's fate would follow some certain path, and untill ready for that path Luke stay with Owen. The pat would get laid before him and would lead him to Obi-Wan. Owen could have vaguely considered this a chance at this "Path". He seemed pretty concerned with his "That is what I am afraid of" line after the "He has too much of his father in him" line. It's possibly that he knows what is just around the corner.

He may not have liked the idea of Luke following Obi-Wan on some damn fool crusade, but he was in agreement to keep Luke right there untill, if ever, the right time came. Granted, Owen certainly didn't have the foresight to realize that he would get killed out of the deal...

sure

DCLXVI
I don't know if this has been suggested, but maybe he did know, and that was why he was so anxious for Luke to get the 'Droid's memories erased.....?

dwizard
C3po did say that his first job was similar to the one he was being offered. That is all that was said to owen... oh and if he knew bachi...

Dont know if that was spelled right.

Ben-Kenobi
Ok it was a 10 year gap between EP 1 TPM, And EP 2 AOTC, now think Shimi had to of been married to Cliegg lars for a couple of years, cause Watto didnt remember anything about Shimi and had to go check his books cause if they had just gotten married he would of rememberd right off the bat.

In ANH, You all know luke suggest's that r2 is bens droid and they freak and tell him to go have r2-d2's and c3p0's memory erased., now do you think that over night owen realized who 3p0 was?, i mean first thing he asked his wife when he walked inside was, have you seen luke?, did he take those 2 new droids with him, and that he better have em repaired and up on the southrange working maybe know who they were he was gonna take them himself. but luke was already gone so he thought nvm hes already taken them.

Im bored so im just thinking of random crap LOL

kiadimundijedi
Originally posted by OB1-adobe

1) 3p0 looked different

CASE CLOSED BEST EXPLANATION YET!!!

ccoo
Remember, Owen buys C3PO, so he may have a hunch it is him. He doesn't buy R2-D2 at first, cause he probably didn't remember him, and there are more droids similar to him. Owen probably figures if the droids don't talk about any jedi or empire stuff, they're good to keep, and they won't be a problem. Once he heard about R2 looking for his master Obi-Wan Kenobi, he knew the jig was up, and immediately told Luke to get their memories erased. Unfortunately that was the last time he would see Luke.

InfernoJG95
C 3PO didn't introduce himself only to be told to shut up by owen meaning owen doesn't care about droids and couldn't give a shit about them

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.