Stanley Kubrick & Charlie Chaplin Films

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shades
I'm an admirer of these two great film directors: Kubrick and Chaplin. Chaplin is by far the greatest comedy film director of all time, if not the greatest director, period. It's simply amazing how Chaplin could captivate one's attention and arrest one's inspiration with his black & white films, devoid of any dialog at all.

Kubrick on the other hand is simply brilliant with his mysterious effects of light (especially white) and slow, steady movement of the view. There's something almost static and at the same time motion permeated in the strange view effect. It's an almost absent point of view feeling one experience when the characters talk - as if one is observing something cosmically meaningless, but yet very arresting.

What are your views on these brilliant artists of the cinema?

Shades
No one interested? My favourite Kubrick film is Dr. Strangelove, or maybe 2001, A Space Odyssey.

bakerboy
Two of the greatest genious in cinema story. Kubrick and Chaplin are two of the most important persons in cinema story.

Chaplin is the greatest comedian ever, his mix of sadness and fun was magical. Movies like the great dictator, modern times, city lights, the golden rush, the kid or limelight are pure magic .

Kubric is the most versatile director of all time, technichally, he was a master. Visually, a wizard. He is the only director of make a science fiction movie(2001), a war movie(paths of glory), a roman epic( spartacus), a violent epic( a clockwork orange), an up close movie(lolita), a historic movie( barry lyndon) , a horror movie ( the shinning), a intelligent comedy ( doctor strangelove) and all of them with his personal mark. That is genious.

Shades
I think Kubrick's A clock work orange with its soundtrack of mainly Beethoven's 9th Symphony was a brilliant marriage of character - Beethovens Symphonies are sometimes 'violent' in nature and this fitted the theme of the film very aptly.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.