The Apartment

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

botankus
For those of you who have no clue what this is, this is the Best Picture winner of 1960.

Alright, now I watched this movie on the advice of my brother, who is a Grade A movie buff, while I would consider myself a solid Grade B. I wasn't expecting much, of course, but watched it anyways on the advice and also b/c it won Best Picture, even though it was 1960.

To be honest, I didn't expect such controversial topics in the movies, considering the time era! For starters, Jack Lemmon's apartment isserving as a high-demand love shack for all of the higher-ups he works for in his company who are cheating on their wives. Throw in a drug overdose by Shirley MacLaine (who, BTW, was borderline "hot" in this movie - hard to believe, and you have the solid makings of a PG-13 movie nowadays.

Anyways, it was a good film and, to be honest, I was pleased it wasn't a musical or anything like Mary Poppins. In fact, it was far from it.

MildPossession
The Apartment is one of my all time favourites!, Shirly Maclaine is wonderful in the film, especially the parts you mentioned in the spoiler.

Good recommendation for film fans indeed.

botankus
Originally posted by botankus
For those of you who have no clue what this is, this is the Best Picture winner of 1960.

I assume most users stopped reading after this sentence. That's too bad. Next time I'll lie and say it's coming out in theaters this summer and stars Hillary Duff and Ashton Kutcher.

On the movie topic, you gotta love a movie that was filmed in the '50's where the characters practice alcoholism, chain-smoking, adultery, and pill-popping and still be considered great human beings.

BlondeBombshell
I saw it a long time ago, and it was great! I think it was a bit sad, as I remember...

Doesn't she try to kill herself? Isn't she in love with the boss? I think it reminded me too much of my own life...But I thought it was really good.

I am a big 1960's movie fan. I think the 60's was such a wonderful era for film and TV. I love the whole black and white 1960's film look. There were so many great films from that era...

bakerboy
Great movie. One of my personal favourites of all time. With a masterful direction by Billy Wilder, a genious script, and two performances by Jack Lemmon and Shirley Maclaine, also with a very good performance by Fred Macmurray, this movie is A MASTERPIECE, plain and simple. Its a must see.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.