The Contender

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cosmic_Beings
The third episode just aired. It's a great show. Today's fight was the best ever!

forumcrew
this show actually is very good.. especially because the final determination of wether you get eliminated is a fight so its all in your hands.. i was so glad that punk lost tonight

Cosmic_Beings
Yeah, and after getting his ass handed to him, he said 'He didn't even scratch me.'

EXCEPT FOR THE TWO BLACK EYES, MORON

Myth
Why does this have Sylvester Stalone in it? He is not a boxer, he acted as a boxer. I could imagine if it was him alone as the host, but him along with Sugar Ray is a joke. Sugar Ray should tell him to shut up because he doesn't actually know boxing.

Cosmic_Beings
Uh, did you even watch the show?... Both of them are there as mentors to the boxers. Believe it or not, Sugar Ray was actually overweight and Sly had to get him back in shape with a training and eating program. And yes, Sly does box in the show. He beat the living crap out of one of the contestants when they challenged him on the last episode.

forumcrew
yea sly is much bigger then all of them (beacuase its a middleweight contest) and he does know a thing or 2 about boxing. Plus its a tv show and hes famous so its just good for ratings

Myth
I know he knows a little about boxing, but compared to Sugar Ray, his knowledge is lacking.

Darth Vicious
I love The Contender, after delaHoyas show got cancelled(The Next Great Champ)i didnt have my boxing fix but this show is way better, not only the boxers are pros but the fight better, i love the Ahmed/Isha fight, i for one was going for Ahmed but after the thirds episode display of disrespect not to only to Ishas wife but to Sugar Rays while they were sparring, im happy he got beat. Now the only problem i have is that they only get 5 rounds and to me thats not enough and while i know sometimes fights only last a round or 2 they usually go the distance with middleweights, more than 5 rounds and i hated seeing Peter leave, im my opinion if there were more than 5 rounds he wouldve won by KO, case in point the 2nd round against Alfonzo, he almost broke him but it seems someone is coming back next episode and im pretty sure it wont be Ahmed and i dont see Jonathan Reid coming back, so it has to be Peter Manfredo, which im hoping for.

forumcrew
Originally posted by Myth
I know he knows a little about boxing, but compared to Sugar Ray, his knowledge is lacking.

thats why they brought it sugar ray as well

Myth
Originally posted by forumcrew
thats why they brought it sugar ray as well

Would you do a Kung Fu reality show with Keanu Reeves as a co-host behind an actual martial artist? Keanu does know some kung fu, but he is pointless when there is a real fighter there to teach instead.

Cosmic_Beings
Would you do a Kung Fu reality show with Keanu Reeves as a co-host behind an actual martial artist? Keanu does know some kung fu, but he is pointless when there is a real fighter there to teach instead.

You moron, Sly and Sugar Ray aren't there to teach them anything.

THEY ARE THERE TO MENTOR THE FIGHTERS. WATCH THE SHOW.

They have Peter Manfredo, who's number 3 in the world, and Ishe Smith, who's number 5 in the world. All of these fighters are top of the line and don't need any teaching. There is no teaching in this show. Only competition.

Do yourself a favor and do not argue against something that you know don't know about.

ZomBiE_HunTER
The shows kool but I miss the last two Ep. can sum1 tell me who lost the last 2 Ep.

forumcrew

yea they are more mentors and sly is there to be more of a host anyway.. and keanu reeves is a horrible example matrix doesnt even focus on martial arts. Sly knows enough to be able to critique them some and to be a good host.

forumcrew
Originally posted by ZomBiE_HunTER
The shows kool but I miss the last two Ep. can sum1 tell me who lost the last 2 Ep.

West fighters won both..

jesse defeated johnathan reed
and ishe defeated ahmed or whatever his name was (the pretty boy that he got in a fight with earlier in the show)

Cosmic_Beings
New episode tomorrow night

Cosmic_Beings
I can't wait, just 11 and 1/2 more hours!

ZomBiE_HunTER
Originally posted by forumcrew
West fighters won both..

jesse defeated johnathan reed
and ishe defeated ahmed or whatever his name was (the pretty boy that he got in a fight with earlier in the show)
Awesome

Darth Vicious
I think Najai fights tonight(3/20) and i guess he loses since he commited suicied.

Cosmic_Beings
Lol, he does lose, but he committed suicide because his girlfriend was a ***** and wanted to take custody of his kids away from him.

Darth Vicious
That aint no reason to give up, ive been there in that situation but thru perseverance i conquer and i got custody of my kids but i think he gave up without a fight because to me a boxers has a never surrender mentality and he just surrendered/.

Cosmic_Beings
If you saw tonight's show, you would see how attached and how much he loved his daughter.

forumcrew
Originally posted by Cosmic_Beings
If you saw tonight's show, you would see how attached and how much he loved his daughter.

yea he really seemed to have a pretty optimistic outlook.. but i dont wanna speculate about what changed or what went wrong.. because we just dont know he seemed like a very loving father and all the guys there said he had more heart then pretty much anyone.. its tragic

Darth Vicious
Yup, Manfredo is back i hope he lasts this time.

ZomBiE_HunTER
Why did peter came back.

Cosmic_Beings
Peter beat the crap out of Miguel just now, and Miguel wept like a little baby!

forumcrew
Originally posted by ZomBiE_HunTER
Why did peter came back.

someone had to leave because they had chicken pox and they were contagious so they got to vote someone back.. they choose Peter...

in the 2nd and 3rd rounds peter got his ass kicked in the 4th he barely won but he took the 1st and the 5th

Darth Vicious
It was a good match, i was glad that Peter won and it was sad seeing miguel cry. Do you guys think Juan is a match for anyone in there?

Cosmic_Beings
I don't know. When they said that in the next episode, they have to stop the fight for the first time, I think it's because Juan fights Tarick or somebody and gets his ass handed to him.

Darth Vicious
He was the first one i thought of getting beat that bad.

zinh
Love this show. Best reality show on tv IMO.

Glad Manfredo won the last one. He needed a win from the first upset.

Wish they woulda said more about what happened with Najai, messed up I had to hear he killed himself on Howard Stern.

forumcrew
that guy got tore up tonight i felt bad.. but i think id of felt just as bad if it happened to the other guy. Isnt that a TKO and not a KO though?

zinh
The yellow guy needed beat down tonight for being an ass and picking the unprepared fighter. Though even if that guy was 100% ready, he couldn't beat the yellow guy.

forumcrew
yea but its still a contest and the rules are whoever steps to the line gets to pick.. so everyone on the other team should be prepared.. plus its not like the fight was right after it, it wasnt until the following night

jaden101
great programme...i think we are a couple of weeks behind here in the UK...we just had the Manfredo vs miguel fight

sad to hear about najai turpin...apparently he commited suicide in his car on valentines day with his daughter sitting beside him

terrible shame

Darth Vicious
I think Juan got lucky last week, he got a loooong way to go and i dont think hell win agains none of the guys that have won so far.

ZomBiE_HunTER
Why najai turpin kill himself and his kid.

Darth Vicious
He didnt kill his daughter, he just killed himself, problems with his wife i guess.

jaden101
the news report about the incident said that the programmes broadcast was delayed due to a bidding war between NBC and FOX...fox lost and so hastily put together a rip off version of the show that flopped in the ratings (the next great champ)

NBC then decided to delay its broadcast by another month so there was no conflict between the shows

meanwhile none of the fighters who have lost are allowed to fight until after the live final in May

the fighters were being paid $1500 a week during this time which was the most money Naj had ever earned...he knew this was coming to an end the soon

i dont know how much of it is accurate but here is the article

http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/articles/story.php?s=3250

Darth Vicious
They are bringing another one of the losers and if i saw next weeks previes i think is Ahmed, if it is things should get interesting.

forumcrew
yea it looked like ahmed to me too.. but ishe handled him fairly easily i dont think he will give anyone trouble

Darth Vicious
I dunno about the easy part, i thought he was good in the fight, yeah Ishe was better but he was good too, if he has to fight anyone other than Ishe or Peter he'll win. I dont think they shouldve given anyone a second chance so easy, they shouldve made like a mini competition between the losers to see which one won and deserved another chance.

Darth Vicious
I just read somewhere that Sergio and Manfredo will be the last 2, not sure whether is true or not, the guy says he has inside sources i guess will see.

Darth Vicious
Last night Sergio beat Ishe,i thought he was good in that fight and Alfonzo beat Ahmed although if the fight had gone longer than 5 rounds Ahmed wouldve knocked him out as he was obviously tired by the 5th round and Ahmed was just getting started.

astrofan428
From the previews I thought Ahmed would knock him out, in the preview they showed the part where Alfonzo starrted to stumble looking like he was going down.

I was impressed with the way Ahmed handled himself when he was brought back, he was still cocky but he didnt seem so......you know.

Darth Vicious
He wouldve Alfonso if it had been more than 5 rounds as it was clearly seen he was tired and Ahmed was beggining to do damage, im sure theyll meet down the road in a real boxing fight and it will be a different story.

astrofan428
I want to see why the next contender "is the one to see".

Darth Vicious
If it is Manfredo vs Joey i think peter is gonna knock him out! By the way i bought the book they mentioned in the Contender, the 48Laws of Power and is a very interesting book

sorrow
that book! is that the one that Joey gave to Sergio?

do you guys think Joey might be the bad guy? Did u see when he stopped before the finish line to give away the car? I am not sure his real intentions........

Darth Vicious
Joey didnt gave it to Sergio, he made a refernce to the book but he didnt knew that Sergio had read it, the book describes ways of deceiving and using people to ur adavantages, nice book.

forumcrew
hell of a fight tonight i think you had to give it to manfredo jr though

Darth Vicious
Manfredo broke him, he was about to knck him out if they hadnt stopped the fight, next week should be interesting, im going for Jesse but i think Anthony is gonna win.

astrofan428
I dont know, I think I got Jesse in this one. Even if Anthony is healthy I still give it to Jesse.

Darth Vicious
I dunno, Anthony is a hard puncher, i like Jesse, hes cool but i dont know if hell win, i doubt it.

Darth Vicious
Jesse got lucky, if it had been a decision Anthony wouldve won hands down but im glad he got knocked out, he was too shady. Tito Trinidad fights this weekend, i cant wait!

sorrow
i saw jesse vs. anthony match!
amazing.. those two uppercuts really knocked him out..
way to go jesse!!

Darth Vicious
After saturdays disappointing fight between Trinidad/Wright(Im a tito fan) it was great seeing a great fight, Manfredo Jr. and Alfonsofought like warriors, that was a war and in the end my man Manfredo won, smile, i hope the finale is 12 rounds which im guessing it is since is a 2 hour finale.

RiFaI
This show is certainly entertaining... yes last fight was simply amazing esp last round .. next match will be gr8 .. sergio is fun to watch roll eyes (sarcastic)

Darth Vicious
I dunno know about that, i dont think Jesse will be a match for Sergio, the finals between Sergio and Peter should be awsome, i hope Peta wins, it would be like the Rocky movies, loses, comes backs and wins everything.

Darth Vicious
Tommorows the finals between Peter and Sergio and im predicting Peter will win.

Darth Vicious
Damn my boy Peter lost, that sucks.

forumcrew
good fights i wish theyd pick up this show for a second season. Or atleast run specials occasionaly with rematches and new people and stuff

vagaryatwill
One of the best new shows on. Tuesday's finale was awesome.

Darth Vicious
The Condender is back July 5, read:

S FLASH
Contender returning July 5!
Due to popular demand, Contender Partners will keep the Independence Day holiday going on Tuesday, July 5, with a night of boxing, at a Las Vegas site to be determined, featuring the stars of the boxing reality series "The Contender." Likely to compete on this card, which will be held at a Las Vegas site to be determined, will be the final four participants of "The Contender": Jesse Brinkley, Alfonso Gomez, Peter Manfredo Jr., and series champion Sergio Mora. "There is an overwhelming demand for this show and these fighters all over the world," said Mark Burnett. "We are incredibly excited to be able to bring you more championship boxing from "The Contender" so quickly."
The live finale of the series finished very strong in the ratings (based on fast national numbers), building to a 4.8 rating in the key demographic of ages 18 from 49 with a total audience of 10 million viewers by the end of the stirring seven round battle between Mora and Manfredo Jr. "The excitement generated by these fighters has been astounding and a testament to the adage that if you give fans quality action with world-class fighters, they will come out in droves to support it," said Sylvester Stallone. "We've watched the birth of the next generation of boxing stars this year on "The Contender", and July 5 will be a night no fight fan will want to miss." Tickets for the first "Contender" show sold-out in a mere five minutes, and seats are expected to go fast for the second live show also. Fans can pre-register for tickets online by visiting www.contender.yahoo.com.
Wednesday, May 25 2005

forumcrew
yea i saw sergio talking about it last night on espn's friday night fights...

its cool but im only gonna want to watch the same 2 people fight each other so much.

Darth Vicious
Yeah thats exactly what i tought,i mena i wanna se the Manfredo/Mora re-match but i dont wanna se the other same guys fighting, at least switch them around, i would like to see Ishe Smith/ Ahmed rematch and the Anthony/Jesse rematch, then it would be interesting, i like Jesse personally but i dont think hes a good boxer, he got lucky in his fights.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.